09-22-12 10:26 PM
121 1234 ...
tools
    Just touch is a technology that is to weak. What I mean by that is the life span of a touch screen is far less then a qwerty and/or trackball. But giving it both would just enlarge the unit. How big do you want a phone to be? If blackberry keeps expanding the units then before long we will be carrying a pc size phone. Pearls are a great size phone and a full qwerty is not 100 percent needed. I have had both and I prefer a pearl over a storm because of size. Bigger is not always better. Look at sd cards. They are micro and can be like 2 to 4 gigs easy and cheap. Why can't the mem on a pearl be the same size? Improve battery life, os, mem size, and cam that is 3.0 and better optically then call it a day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 08:02 AM
    add me to the waiting list.
    07-26-09 10:32 AM
    As long as I can hold it with one hand its cool with me. IMO the bold is the perfect size. If you make it the bold size with a qwerty and touchscreen then the screen is too small (a la palm treo) for let's say finger friendly. I like the idea now of just whipping out my phone and start typing. If they make it a full touchscreen and a slider that means icant just whip it out anymore and would have to keep sliding to access the keys. Maybe its because I'm lazy possibly but I like the current style but I know there needs to be innovation down the line.

07-26-09 01:56 PM
    IMHO, I don't see why a bold sized unit would not work. Up the screen resolution, improve on sound qualtiy for those that use there units for multimedia, make the icons/menus both touch and trackball friendly. It would be hard to put a touchscreen keyboard on a phone such as the BOLD (unless you turned the phone up-side-down, lol). Blending the two interfaces together would not slow anyones' productivity down. In fact making the screen touchscreen and trackball (or trackpad) friendly would probably speed things up. It doesn't have to an all or nothing situation. It seems as though those folks that can not get their heads around a touchscreen believe it to be just that. Merge the two UI's together into one smooth functioning unit nothing has to dominate the other. Many times after playing with the wifes' iphone or my Nokia 5800, when I get back to my BOLD I will un-thinkingly touch the screen attempting to activate an application. It can become a natural thing if you will surrender. I believe both ui's have their merits, I belive they are both here to stay.

Just one quick example of touchscreen influence is while watching news, they sometimes manipulate a touch-type-screen and weather folks have been using something similar for years.
    Interesting debate.
    Thanks
    07-27-09 12:52 AM
    I agree that the BOLD size is absolutely brilliant. No wonder PALM is using it for their next touch-qwerty: http://forums.crackberry.com/f21/pal...ming-t-279297/

Now imagine this touch-qwerty but with a BOLD keyboard and a microSD slot, plus a standard 1900 or 2000 mAh battery? Hmmm? Sounds good, does it not? (I wouldn't go as far as dreaming for an open OS on a BB)
    07-27-09 05:52 AM
    I agree with the people here saying that a touchscreen could hinder power users but at the same time you gotta think: RIM has to change things up...I mean, they cannot just keep on doing the same QWERTY/trackball/pad thing for years to come. Its gonna get old, I feel. If they totally overhauled the OS, then sure they can get a few more years out of the Tour/Bold styling but come on, RIM, INNOVATE!

Gonna have to disagree here. I dont think RIM has to worry about much innovation in this category. They dont need a touchscreen on a traditional Berry to make sure that ppl continue to buy Berries in the future (in my opinion). They've mastered the full QWERTY device, and they'll continue to thrive as long as they remain consistent with just that, full QWERTY devices (of course one's that continue to get better internally).

At the end of the day, true Blackberry users are gonna remain Blackberry users cause they're not sold strictly on all the jazz. We just want a Blackberry that's great at what Blackberries do. I'd hate to see RIM turn a great phone like the Bold into a hybrid device. That would be horrible.
    07-27-09 01:51 PM
    I would want a touchscreen AND a trackpad/trackball. I think the option to use either is essential.
    Me as well. The touchscreen with a qwerty is a requirement for me.
    07-27-09 04:50 PM
    i wouldnt be happy if the flagship model is indeed touchscreen. Ive used a phone that has a keyboard and touchscreen, and it sucked. The phone also had a WVGA screen and windows mobile. Touchscreen is more hype than its worth.

Give me a non tochscreen full qwerty device with great specs and an amazing keyboard and im satisfied.
    07-27-09 05:14 PM
    just because a phone would have a touchscreen doesn't mean you have to use it. Just because some people don't know how to effectively use a touchscreen (or better yet, combine it with using a d-pad to be even more efficient) doesn't mean touchscreens are bad. I edit faster with a stylus on my Palm Centro or Treo Pro than I do on my BB Tour. Instant pinpoint selection is a big plus for a touchscreen. scroll bars and such can be useful on a touchscreen. And the list goes on.

For those that don't want a touchscreen qwerty phone than why even participate in the thread? It's not like they're going to abandon non touchscreen phones. And again, even if the phone has a touchscreen, you're not forced to use it. Just navigate the way you normally do.
    07-27-09 06:00 PM
    The Treo also used a stylus, as it was not "finger-friendly". With the small screen size that a full qwerty touch screen device would likely have, navigation would be clumsy without a stylus (absent a complete UI overhaul). And a stylus on a Blackberry device would be a non-starter for me.
    The stylus is there as an option for users who would prerfer to use it versus their finger. I've owned almost every Palm Treo since the Treo 600 and i can coun't the amount of times i have used the stylus. I've used the stylus for only configuring the touch screen on the initial set up of the phone, the rest of the time i used my finger or D pad to navigate. I would rather have the option of using or not using a stylus that was provided than to need it and not have it. Also you have a directional pad which functions exactly like the blackberry trackpad for navigating. So nothing would change from a traditional blackberry aspect its just that now you would have the addition and option of a touchscreen function. You can still use the BB as you normally do now without having to be forced to use the touch screen. Its basically for people who would want that function and believe me there are a lot of people who are waiting for BB with this function.

just because a phone would have a touchscreen doesn't mean you have to use it. Just because some people don't know how to effectively use a touchscreen (or better yet, combine it with using a d-pad to be even more efficient) doesn't mean touchscreens are bad. I edit faster with a stylus on my Palm Centro or Treo Pro than I do on my BB Tour. Instant pinpoint selection is a big plus for a touchscreen. scroll bars and such can be useful on a touchscreen. And the list goes on.

For those that don't want a touchscreen qwerty phone than why even participate in the thread? It's not like they're going to abandon non touchscreen phones. And again, even if the phone has a touchscreen, you're not forced to use it. Just navigate the way you normally do.
    Agree completely with you.
    Last edited by championart; 07-27-09 at 07:05 PM.
    07-27-09 07:02 PM

Why participate in the thread? Because everything here is pure speculation and there's no guarantee that the next Bold will be a hybrid. The purpose of the thread is for ppl to weigh in, regardless of their point of view. Thats why we participate. Having a thread with our comments erased is not gonna guarantee you a hybrid Blackberry Bold 2. Sorry we touched a nerve.

I've owned a hybrid smartphone and it was a great phone (samsumg i760), but that form of technology got old really fast. I personally prefer either or; hence the reason I own the Storm and will upgrade to a traditional Berry sometime Q1 of next year so that I can have two great devices (that serve their purposes) to use interchangeably.
    07-27-09 08:09 PM
    who wants to carry two devices? a hybrid appeals to a much broader market in my opinion. can't wait til one comes out...i'll take 2!
    07-27-09 08:27 PM
    Not necessarily a nerve. With all the speculation, I just see a qwerty touchscreen as a separate device. Not thinking they'd just make the next Bold a "hybrid" as people seem to be calling it. Just figure there would be both models available. Having been around here since I briefly used an 8830 it's just funny how biased bb users are against a qwerty touchscreen device like it's giving in to the treo way of doing things. Some seem quite opinionated (to put it lightly) that a touchscreen qwerty phone is a complete waste and horrible idea even when myself and others have clearly pointed out that it more than likely wouldn't abandon the current way of using a BB via trackball/pad. It would just be an enhancement for those that want the extra functionality. And if that's the case, what does anyone really care if it has a touchscreen? The Treo Pro is a great example of a nice flush resistive touchscreen qwerty device (keyboard style being a big subjective). If you didn't actually use the touchscreen you would never know it is one.

I'm not necessarily sure a capacitive hybrid is the answer either. Will be interesting to see how the Palm Eos does. You have half the screen real estate yet your fingers are still the same size. Maybe a good resistive screen is still the answer for a hybrid.
    Why participate in the thread? Because everything here is pure speculation and there's no guarantee that the next Bold will be a hybrid. The purpose of the thread is for ppl to weigh in, regardless of their point of view. Thats why we participate. Having a thread with our comments erased is not gonna guarantee you a hybrid Blackberry Bold 2. Sorry we touched a nerve.
    07-27-09 11:38 PM
    512 MB device memory

that is not flagship quality ! sorry how about 2 gig
    and compatible with 32 gig plus

camera should be 5-8 mega pixel

RIM has to stop being cheap and give consumers good quality
    stuff ahead of the market.
    You're absolutely right.

RIM is very cheap
    07-27-09 11:46 PM
    I think it would be AWESOME to incorporate a trackwheel into a device no matter what. Hear me out on this one: you can have the touchscreen, but to avoid the pain in the a$$ navigation sometimes, have the trackwheel on the side of the device. I have an 8900, which I love, but at times I find myself holding my device in ways that I wish there was a trackwheel to scroll through texts, emails, or webpages.

07-27-09 11:49 PM
    No matter what anybody writes on here thanks for the post I totally want one and thinks for the updates and hope to hear more.

Last edited by w2ym; 07-28-09 at 02:04 AM.
    07-28-09 02:02 AM
    This will be perfect if the touchscreen can be turned on & off. If it can be used like a normal qwerty BB most of the time and the touchscreen is only active in certain apps.

For example, email & phone use the physical keys and a trackball/trackpad and browsing the internet you can do multitouch on the screen.

That would be the perfect BB IMHO.
    07-28-09 02:48 AM
    If it is touch screen I hope it doesn't 'click' like the Storm, I'm not a fan of that.

07-28-09 04:50 AM
    If it is touch screen I hope it doesn't 'click' like the Storm, I'm not a fan of that.
    Amen to that! If it had a trackpad and touch screen that doesn't "click" it would be perfect. Might I add a super high res touch screen

Maybe two trackpads - one to be the BB button menu and the other a regular Navigation trackpad with pinch zoom when using both of them for pics, browser, pdf's etc. - just a thought
    07-28-09 09:39 AM
    You pretty much just described the Palm Pre except doing what all us palm people really wanted, putting a d-pad (or some other form of nav) centered in the gesture area. The center buttons on these phones are just about useless.
    Maybe two trackpads - one to be the BB button menu and the other a regular Navigation trackpad with pinch zoom when using both of them for pics, browser, pdf's etc. - just a thought
    As far as selective touchscreen use. Only if the user determines when it's active. The only reason I could even see for it to be slective would be for accidental screen presses. Though coming from 13yrs of touchscreen use, I think I can count on one hand, maybe two, how many times I've accidentally pressed the screen.

07-28-09 10:49 AM
    My vote is on the phone having a touchscreen, trackball and full qwerty.

Makes sense, shouldn't be too difficult to implement and brings the best of many worlds. My thought this would bring excellent opportunities to make some pretty kick *** themes to the phone (I love the Storm's themes, but am put off somewhat my it's touchscreen for long emails.)
    07-28-09 12:13 PM
    07-28-09 11:08 PM
    Why not make the phone the exact same as the bold but just with a touchscreen as well? And then just do a little os clean up

There.. done... and those that don't (want /care to have/see the point in) a touchscreen could just choose not to have a touchscreen and qwerty.
    07-29-09 05:28 PM
    Well, generally, I think that if:

* they trim the body a little and give it a more "block" new-apple-macbook-kinda-look with smooth edges but solid one-piece feel
    * extend the screen to max - no "frame" around it and fit a 600x480
    * make that screen a touch, no click (if there is no on-screen keyboard, no need for click)
    * incorporate Menu buttons in the screen, no cracks for dust (see 8520)
    * put a trackpad
    * squeeze in a bigger battery (2000 mAh anyone?)

Keep all other features and just work on shipping out OS upgrades/updates regularly (say once a month) - what more can you ask of a BOLD, seriously?
    07-30-09 06:13 AM
    More memory and a better OS.

RIM has done and continues to do a superb job on keyboards, screens, navigation and the processors are getting better. Memory is the only part that still lags far behind on the hardware front.

Sorry to say this, but the OS needs a complete makeover - a fresh UI and something innovative; think outside of the same zen / precision that has been copied over and over again. Put some high colored icons and themes in there to get users engaged! Why is it that when we had OS 4.2-4.5 we had those color icons that were OK to look at but not a screen resolution to take advantage of and now with 4.6-4.7 we have these amazing screens and have wireframed icons that look like cad drawings?

Innovate the OS RIM...please!

07-30-09 08:59 PM
121 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD