10-14-14 06:09 PM
403 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    This is exactly how I feel. If I find a 30 for a good price I would jump. Until then the 10 is wonderful.

Posted via my white VZW Z10 on CB10
    Yep I'm in the same boat. Don't feel the Z30 is worth the $500 price to upgrade based on the specs and that my Z10's only issue is the battery life. If they would drop the price to something more reasonable based in the processor and screen resolution compared to the competition I would upgrade. Heck just give me a $200 discount for being a PlayBook early adopter and I'll buy one ;-).

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 12:37 PM
    Yep I'm in the same boat. Don't feel the Z30 is worth the $500 price to upgrade based on the specs and that my Z10's only issue is the battery life. If they would drop the price to something more reasonable based in the processor and screen resolution compared to the competition I would upgrade. Heck just give me a $200 discount for being a PlayBook early adopter and I'll buy one ;-).

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm... my Z30 was free on a two year plan (I'm in Canada). 80$ /mo for 4GB data, unlimited local calls, unlimited long distance nationally, unlimited text, 10 hrs free HD TV per mo.

Posted using my Z30
    04-24-14 01:11 PM
    Hmmm... my Z30 was free on a two year plan (I'm in Canada). 80$ /mo for 4GB data, unlimited local calls, unlimited long distance nationally, unlimited text, 10 hrs free HD TV per mo.

Posted using my Z30
    Yeah I'm talking the Shop BlackBerry store price. It is currently $499. Should probably be $399 max, and likely $350.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 02:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    You won't regret an upgrade. The Z30 is a much better phone. I was surprised it was so much better.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 04:33 PM
    You won't regret an upgrade. The Z30 is a much better phone. I was surprised it was so much better.

Posted via CB10
    Bought in high on the PlayBook and the Z10. Going to wait for either the Z30 to go low, or for the next device.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 08:06 PM
    The only way to win over new customers is to have a new high end touch device. The upcoming qwerty devices will convert the existing user base still stuck on OS7 but do nothing to convert those who have long moved onto full touch devices.
    Why would a device offering similar specs to the android phones that these people are presumably happy with be the way to convert people to bb10? It seems far more likely that they would need to offer a device that was both interesting and different enough that people wanted to make the move from one os to another, the q30 has that potential, the z50 doesn't really.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    04-25-14 03:57 AM
    This is what we full touch users want to see....a beast on the spec sheets. I am reluctantly trying to purchase a used Z30 to see if I like it. If I was blown away with it from the beginning, I would have upgraded with my available upgrade. No. Im saving THAT for a monster full touch. Come on Blackberry!!
    The problem is that if your only selling point is being a beast on the spec sheets, you end up being eclipsed a week or two later when the next few android beasts turn up and that even assumes that a company like BB could manage to cut their time to market sufficiently enough to not have some chinese company beat them to it.

The simple reality is that if their only option is to compete mindlessly on specs then they have already lost as they will never be as cheap or fast as the various chinese companies.
    LuvULongTime and RyanGermann like this.
    04-25-14 04:02 AM
    You're absolutely right. It will take several generations of devices. However, it need to be several generations of great devices, not mediocre ones that BlackBerry has released recently. They need to focus on coming out with outstanding devices that are industry leaders.
    Actually, what is needed are devices that can be sold cost-effectively and have a clearly defined audience e.g. products like the z3 or the classic rather than just throwing out a higher-end model and hoping people decide to change from the high end model they already have.

They need to build a solid foundation from which they can grow which is why they have gone back to their business-focus for now.
    04-25-14 04:09 AM
    Why would a device offering similar specs to the android phones that these people are presumably happy with be the way to convert people to bb10? It seems far more likely that they would need to offer a device that was both interesting and different enough that people wanted to make the move from one os to another, the q30 has that potential, the z50 doesn't really.
    Q30 has that potential, so they should definitely try it out, but millions and millions of people using an all touch device can't be wrong... and competing them in the specs game by bringing out one great device which is way ahead of its competitors and is complemented with this awesome BB10 secured OS won't harm them. We Need to be better than others in their own game to win it.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 05:07 AM
    Said that a long time ago, bring out the z50!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 06:31 AM
    The problem is that if your only selling point is being a beast on the spec sheets, you end up being eclipsed a week or two later when the next few android beasts turn up and that even assumes that a company like BB could manage to cut their time to market sufficiently enough to not have some chinese company beat them to it.

The simple reality is that if their only option is to compete mindlessly on specs then they have already lost as they will never be as cheap or fast as the various chinese companies.
    This is completely not true. Android OEM's are using the same commercial off the shelf processors that BlackBerry is using, primarily Qualcomm. These processors have life cycles. Samsung is releasing products at the start if these life cycles, BlackBerry is not, and in fact has been releasing at the tail end of these life cycles, or in the case of the Z30 a full gen late processor. If they were releasing flagship in early spring, with the new processors, like Samsung and HTC do, then they would be on par till the next cycle. Everyone has the same opportunity to test and buy these chips at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 07:05 AM
    Said that a long time ago, bring out the z50!!!

Posted via CB10
    Yah... bring out the Z50 already!

Posted using my Z30
    04-25-14 03:30 PM
    This is completely not true. Android OEM's are using the same commercial off the shelf processors that BlackBerry is using, primarily Qualcomm. These processors have life cycles. Samsung is releasing products at the start if these life cycles, BlackBerry is not, and in fact has been releasing at the tail end of these life cycles, or in the case of the Z30 a full gen late processor. If they were releasing flagship in early spring, with the new processors, like Samsung and HTC do, then they would be on par till the next cycle. Everyone has the same opportunity to test and buy these chips at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    But blackberry doesn't need to have all that processing power to make the phone work. Everyone talks specs bit history has shown that specs aren't what makes the device awesome, how the OS integrates with those specs is what makes a difference. I have a z30 and also an HTC one. The HTC has a quad core and runs sluggish compared to my z30. Android needs the processing power to make it work well and in this case, it's still sluggish. Apple used 512 ram all the way up to the 4s before it upped the ram specs on their phone and still out performed and out sold all android devices at that time. Bottom line, here is that specs don't make the device. It's how the OS works with those specs. QNX does it right all the time. This is why so.many industrial companies use it.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 11:54 AM
    I will be waiting as well for the monster Z50! My contract should be up by then anyways. I think we will see the Z50 sometime Q2 of 2015.

Posted via CB10
    Once again, John Chen clearly stated in more than one Interview, they plan on releasing a device set to attract New Customers. This said device to be released Sept 2014. He said he hopes it is done by then. If not before 2014 the Christmas Holiday Season.

This special device won't IMO come out in 2015. John Chen is not going to stick to the previous Management device schedule. Nope, he's cracking the whip to get things into gear ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 06:07 PM
    In regards to BB10 not requiring super charged high end hardware specs? Yes correct 100%.
    The problem is, Android Manufacturers totally made it a SPEC's race and due to BBRY's image issues today, they have no choice but to also follow suit and compete with high end spec's. Just to attract New Customers.

Once it's image is rectified, they will no longer have to chaise Android device specs.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 06:19 PM
    BB10 can always be improved with better specs. App launch times need to be improved. If you compare a Z30 with a iphone 5 launching native apps you'll notice the iphone 5 launches most apps much faster there's no comparison. Also android apps are not as fluid as it could be on the Z30 as well, more horsepower is needed. I can make android apps stutter on my Z30 by simply navigating around fast. Loading times anywhere across the OS can be cut down. For instance in the hub when loading facebook or twitter messages after tapping on them. The less time we spend staring at loading circles and blank screens the better and this is why specs do improve the user experience. These loading delays add up so don't be satisfied with the hardware we have right now. When BlackBerry comes out with a phone with a quad core cpu you'll probably look back and appreciate the difference in performance.
    04-27-14 01:38 AM
    There's likely to still be a delay while the phone boots that someone will consider unacceptable. .... Time for the BlackBerry to do all the security scans that other phones don't do. It would be great if there were some kind of initial boot that would allow people to check their emails, and maybe news updates, while the scans are completed. ... But no web access or sending messages until the scan is complete.
    04-29-14 07:56 AM
    Please stop saying BlackBerry doesn't need the specs!!!. We always need hardware upgrades, something that is good enough today will not be good enough down the road. That I can guarantee. Yes the Z30 and Z10 are quick and responsive without all the top end specs, but just imagine what the phones could do if they did have those specs. It would blow people away. Just because Android is less efficient with more horsepower doesn?t mean BB10 can't benefit from the equivalent horsepower/specs. I know I would pay out the nose for it. I understand I'm pretty much a fanboy but people are starting to notice the Z30 at least. Let's build on that.

Enough with the good enough Bull!!! I stopped buying that garbage line with the PlayBook disaster. Good enough took us from the top to the bottom. Let's be the standard everyone shoots for again. Take everything that each of your competitors (Apple, Droid, Windows, etc.) do best, and do it even better. Maybe we don't have enough money but it's do or die time now. Leverage the benefits of the Foxconn deal to help in the Spec/hardware cost department, and improve upon or own strengths.

Whew! Sorry for the rant but I just want to see my BlackBerry stay around for the long haul!

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 08:57 AM
    Please stop saying BlackBerry doesn't need the specs!!!. We always need hardware upgrades, something that is good enough today will not be good enough down the road. That I can guarantee. Yes the Z30 and Z10 are quick and responsive without all the top end specs, but just imagine what the phones could do if they did have those specs. It would blow people away. Just because Android is less efficient with more horsepower doesn?t mean BB10 can't benefit from the equivalent horsepower/specs. I know I would pay out the nose for it. I understand I'm pretty much a fanboy but people are starting to notice the Z30 at least. Let's build on that.

Enough with the good enough Bull!!! I stopped buying that garbage line with the PlayBook disaster. Good enough took us from the top to the bottom. Let's be the standard everyone shoots for again. Take everything that each of your competitors (Apple, Droid, Windows, etc.) do best, and do it even better. Maybe we don't have enough money but it's do or die time now. Leverage the benefits of the Foxconn deal to help in the Spec/hardware cost department, and improve upon or own strengths.

Whew! Sorry for the rant but I just want to see my BlackBerry stay around for the long haul!

Posted via CB10
    Bulls Eye...
    +10000000

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 09:05 AM
    Bulls Eye...
    +10000000

Posted via CB10
    No one here isn't saying that blackberry should put maximum specs, what we're saying is that specs don't mean a whole lot of the OS can't work well with those specs. It's already been proven that QNX can work with anything specs within reason and not have lag issues. Boasti.g a phone with eight cores isn't going to sell the phone. it's the experience of how that OS works. Specs, specs, specs doesn't do anything here. Apple has proven this year's ago. It's how the OS works. If specs were an issue then why are iPhone and windows phones still selling. Neither one has expandable storage, yet people are out there buying these products. BlackBerry needs advertising. Plain and simple. Advertising all the way will make for how blackberry will succeed in this era not specs

Posted via CB10
    04-29-14 10:59 AM
    No one here isn't saying that blackberry should put maximum specs, what we're saying is that specs don't mean a whole lot of the OS can't work well with those specs. It's already been proven that QNX can work with anything specs within reason and not have lag issues. Boasti.g a phone with eight cores isn't going to sell the phone. it's the experience of how that OS works. Specs, specs, specs doesn't do anything here. Apple has proven this year's ago. It's how the OS works. If specs were an issue then why are iPhone and windows phones still selling. Neither one has expandable storage, yet people are out there buying these products. BlackBerry needs advertising. Plain and simple. Advertising all the way will make for how blackberry will succeed in this era not specs

Posted via CB10
    Understandable. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking we can pass off under-speced phones like apple does. They have their customers locked into their ecosystems and everything else. They are market leaders with a blind customer following.

I know you're not saying we shouldn't have high specs, but others on here do. And quite frequently I may add. My original point is that if Blackberry can offer this OS experience, which I love, with their current hardware imagine what they could do with even more. Sorry, but there are sometimes native apps and the OS have hiccups. It happens, it's the technology, Every phone from every manufacturer has its own quirks.

I absolutely agree with you about the awful, pretty much non existent marketing these products receive. Boasting a phone with eight cores doesn't mean all that much to the average consumer but it does to the tech reviewers, bloggers, media, etc. This buzz will allow BlackBerry to hang their hat on something in their desperately needed marketing messages. What do they have going for them now. NOTHING! I am watching my favorite phone company fall into the annals of history, and it's freaking sad.

Let's see what happens with a top of the line phone. Let's see what BlackBerry can do to get the most out of even better technology. I think QNX and this OS can get even better. And it needs to so that all the haters can just shut it.

Let's just try it out.

Posted via CB10
    MAJ009 likes this.
    04-29-14 01:08 PM
    Understandable. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking we can pass off under-speced phones like apple does. They have their customers locked into their ecosystems and everything else. They are market leaders with a blind customer following.

I know you're not saying we shouldn't have high specs, but others on here do. And quite frequently I may add. My original point is that if Blackberry can offer this OS experience, which I love, with their current hardware imagine what they could do with even more. Sorry, but there are sometimes native apps and the OS have hiccups. It happens, it's the technology, Every phone from every manufacturer has its own quirks.

I absolutely agree with you about the awful, pretty much non existent marketing these products receive. Boasting a phone with eight cores doesn't mean all that much to the average consumer but it does to the tech reviewers, bloggers, media, etc. This buzz will allow BlackBerry to hang their hat on something in their desperately needed marketing messages. What do they have going for them now. NOTHING! I am watching my favorite phone company fall into the annals of history, and it's freaking sad.

Let's see what happens with a top of the line phone. Let's see what BlackBerry can do to get the most out of even better technology. I think QNX and this OS can get even better. And it needs to so that all the haters can just shut it.

Let's just try it out.

Posted via CB10
    This makes sense to me. We shall see what BlackBerry will do then.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-14 06:23 AM
    I want a BlackBerry Z50

Posted using my Z30
    04-30-14 12:32 PM
    In regards to BB10 not requiring super charged high end hardware specs? Yes correct 100%.
    The problem is, Android Manufacturers totally made it a SPEC's race and due to BBRY's image issues today, they have no choice but to also follow suit and compete with high end spec's. Just to attract New Customers.

Once it's image is rectified, they will no longer have to chaise Android device specs.

Posted via CB10
    Android OEM's had no choice but to use specs to differentiate. The couldn't really differentiate on the SW side since they all run the same OS. If Samsung ran their own proprietary OS on their phones I would bet that they would not be involved in the specs race.
    04-30-14 12:56 PM

Let's just try it out.

Posted via CB10
    Agree that Apple has folks locked whereas BB does not and they can get away with over pricing their phones in comparison to the HW.

In Blackberry's case, I am perfectly happy with the specs on their current phones. Where they have failed is in pricing their devices. They had an opportunity to differentiate through price, but instead they shot themselves in the foot and priced their mid range phones identically to Samsung's legit high end phones. Not good.
    04-30-14 01:00 PM
403 ... 1011121314 ...