08-21-13 02:23 AM
36 12
tools
    I definitely think if possible they should sell low end devices at cost (not just parts: labour, R&D, and support). They can then make money from BlackBerry World and premium service offerings.

Low end is too competitive to try to turn large margins and should be used to lure customers and grow the ecosystem: better to sell 10M at cost than 500K at $75 profit in the long run.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 12:31 PM
    A10 mini

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 12:47 PM
    Expect the Z5 to have the same internals as the the Q5 but a smaller version of the Z10 or maybe they will keep it the same size.
    I doubt that we will see anything using the same specs as the q5, that is an older SoC, but was still aimed at the mid to high end range and when we eventually see a z5 (or whatever it gets called) then they will be using a newer but lower end chipset such as the 8930 that we have seen mentioned in those recently leaked specs.

I also doubt that we would see a smaller display on an all-touch device from BB, the higher ppi and lower market availability of say a 4" 720p display would actually push up costs, it is more likely to be a 4.2" 720p display or even a 4.5" 720 display since the latter is more mainstream and cheaper in bulk.
    07-24-13 07:47 AM
    I definitely think if possible they should sell low end devices at cost (not just parts: labour, R&D, and support). They can then make money from BlackBerry World and premium service offerings.

Low end is too competitive to try to turn large margins and should be used to lure customers and grow the ecosystem: better to sell 10M at cost than 500K at $75 profit in the long run.
    They are not in a position to not be making money on hardware especially since there are zero guarantees that it would result in drastically volumes to the extent you suggest.
    07-24-13 07:49 AM
    They are not in a position to not be making money on hardware especially since there are zero guarantees that it would result in drastically volumes to the extent you suggest.
    The fact that the cell phone market is price elastic, actually very price elastic, should contradict what you said instantly.

It's pretty much guaranteed, that a lower price drives more sales.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price...city_of_demand

The HP TouchPad and the new Nokia Lumia 520 pretty much proved that.

When the firesale for the HP took place, we saw that one can sell a device that is DOA, considering future suppprt, if it is just cheap enough.
    The new Nokia proves, that there is a big demand for what consumers perceive as "fair value" in a phone.
    And this drives WP's adoption rate immensely.

That BlackBerry is overpricing their devices, and do not offer a viable all touch low/mid-range phone, is just another one of their strategical mistakes.

The new BBOS phone being the biggest one, lately.

Posted via CB10
    flyingsolid likes this.
    07-24-13 11:47 AM
    4.2" and a 5 mpx camera and no hdmi!

Posted via CB10 Z10 STL 100-01, OS 10.1, Etisalat, UAE
    07-24-13 12:01 PM
    It's pretty much guaranteed, that a lower price drives more sales.
    Price elasticity of demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The HP TouchPad and the new Nokia Lumia 520 pretty much proved that.
    They will drive more sales, but the person I replied to was suggesting more than an order of magnitude increase for just a reduction of $75 which is in now way comparable to the touchpad example which saw the price get reduced hugely before it saw anyone show any interest.

If BB wanted to spend money to do something that would help demand then they should be bribing the developers of the main apps that are considered to be missing, it would provide a boost to sales in general by addressing one of the main complaints and would make those who have already bought bb10 devices happier too which would in turn lead to more sales from word of mouth.
    07-25-13 06:19 AM
    The $75 drop in price would more likely be a $125 drop in price (carriers would make less on a cheaper device and their profit would drop as well) since the price that BlackBerry charges carriers is further marked up before consumers see it.

As well, many consumers only think about the on-contract price, and a $125 drop could make it free on contract, so it may actually appear to much of the market as a 100% price drop (people talked about a 75% price cut on the Z10).

Finally, those numbers were very rough guesstimates: not the basis for a formal report.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 08:48 AM
    omg so pretty, if i didn't want the A10 I would be all over this

Z10, PS3, MacBook Pro
    08-01-13 11:15 AM
    I was reading that the Lumia 520 was selling really well but partially at the expense of their higher end phones . BB needs to match the newer cheap all touch phones because QWERTY phones will never sell as well .
    08-20-13 03:06 PM
    I had z10, and traded it in for q10 b/c of size only. Now I miss flick texting, etc, and have concluded that I would buy a z5 device to replace my q10 in an instant! Go blackberry!!

Posted Via CB10 from my BB Q10
    08-21-13 02:23 AM
36 12