08-21-13 01:23 AM
36 12
tools
    I have been doing quite a bit of research on upcoming BlackBerry devices, the A10 is exciting, I love that BlackBerry is changing their tune and building more devices that are not only great at communication, but satisfying media needs as well.
    In my research I came across a few articles and pictures of a device rumored to be the BlackBerry Z5. BlackBerry wants to cover all their price points and offer as many options as possible. I personally believe the Z5 will be the way to go.
    Motorola released the RAZR M, which is a thicker, smaller in size overall, and less spec'd phone than the RAZR HD, and RAZR Maxx HD, but it still sells very well. Its lower price point and large screen for its size and not to mention good battery life make it ideal for many.
    If BlackBerry can give it's consumers more bang for their buck, I believe they can have a hot seller, much like the Pearl series. Many people loved the Pearl for its small size and the fact that it did not lack any of Blackberry's features.
    I think their should and will be a lot of talk and sales of a phone like the Z5 if it's done right. Keep all of the features of a Z10, maybe step down the screen quality marginally, decrease the bezel on the screen using as much of the front real estate of the phone as possible and keep the phone affordable and let's not forget the battery life, give the phone a battery that seems unnecessary.
    For many who are not crazy about physical keyboards and thinks smaller phones are better phones, Phablets are ridiculous, and like a strong battery to get them through more than a day of communication, this phone will appeal to them. Its a strong assumption, bit it could even be a best seller like the Pearl series.
    If you have not heard of the Z5 check it out.
    BlackBerry Z5 ignored, why?-bb-z5_500x375-500x366.jpg
    BlackBerry Z5 ignored, why?-blackberry-z5-leak.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 01:14 AM
    They definitely need a damn good touch screen 'Z5'. 4"

As it keeps being said, Android is doing very good in $0- $400 range [in terms of activations, market share],
    Nokia has their bases covered with lower end Lumia 510, 720 phones too.

If they can make a 'Z5' a leader in this price point, with some great features like HDMI, large 2XXX MaH removable battery. Like the HTC ONE Mini
    It could reach a lot of new customers, ie iPhone 3GS - 4S, customers stuck with Android that aren't supported... Just maybe.

Any way, OP mind adding links to your op. haha
    Last edited by Novaone; 07-20-13 at 02:22 AM.
    07-20-13 02:10 AM
    I don't think any eventual z5 or cheap touch-only model will actually be smaller, they would still want to stick to 720p as a minimum and putting that on a 4" display would probably push up costs rather than reduce them.

The actual size where a 720p display would effectively be just a commodity item by this time next year would tend to be the 4.5" size due to economies of scale so we could see BB move beyond 4.2" for all models that were not part of the q-series.
    07-20-13 04:49 AM
    Nokia has the Lumia 520. That device is such a brilliant device for the sub $200AUD. I can see it selling very well overseas.

Here in Australia, it is weird if you don't buy High-End.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    07-20-13 08:40 AM
    Because the Z10 should be the Z5 and the Aristo the Z10.
    07-20-13 08:44 AM
    Because the Z10 should be the Z5 and the Aristo the Z10.
    Exactly

The Z10 is very much a mid-range phone and should have been pushed as such from the beginning and the Aristo should have launched around the same time as the Z10 but even back then with better specs then it will have.

But if they can release an all touch screen phone that is even cheaper and around the same screen size 4" - 4.2" as the Z10 then they absolutely should. If BlackBerry can put out a BB10 touch screen phone around $250 - $300 unsubsidized even if it's a nearly 0% profit phone, they should do it ASAP.

What they need right now above all is to grow their installed base as fast as possible. They can't get the big apps with out the customers and they can't get the customers without the apps at a high price point.

I'm not saying that all their phones need to be no profit. Just one or two entry level phones that will grow the installed base rapidly. Mid-tier and high end phones should still have decent profit margins.
    williaml likes this.
    07-20-13 10:21 AM
    The Z10 will simply become the Z5 next year or so when the next Z10 comes out !

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 10:34 AM
    I don't think that with the 6 phones on the market plan that BlackBerry wants to try, there will be no room for the Z10 to be the Z5. There will need a Z5. BlackBerry will have to cover all of there bases with 6 BB10 phones, to reach all of the market and keep consumers interested they will need to have their six, upgrade them as necessary and always make what's doing good do great next time. To hold on to an old Z10, while a new phone in the series is on the market, just takes up one of the 6 spots.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 11:56 AM
    Whatever they release, BlackBerry needs to wait to have 10.2 on it, because they can't afford another sub par product rollout like the Z10. The Z may really have succeeded as expected if there hadn't been so much negative word of mouth with the reboots and all that.

Posted from my T-Mobile Z10, no longer on the Sprint Meh network.
    07-20-13 12:03 PM
    The Z10 will simply become the Z5 next year or so when the next Z10 comes out !
    I doubt that this will actually happen for a couple of reasons, firstly the next higher end all-touch model is almost certainly going to be 1080p which means at least a 4.7" display and secondly there are areas like the display and chipset where there will be scope to further reduce costs over a z10 so to avoid any confusion the z10 will probably be mostly phased out with a new device occupying the lower end instead.
    07-20-13 01:00 PM
    Whatever they release, BlackBerry needs to wait to have 10.2 on it, because they can't afford another sub par product rollout like the Z10. The Z may really have succeeded as expected if there hadn't been so much negative word of mouth with the reboots and all that.
    I think people's perception of the actually fairly rare rebooting issue gets disturbed if they visit sites like this as the minority who have problems will have a tendency to be much more outspoken than the majority that do not see the issue ever.

As far as which software will be on devices, clearly no new device is going to launch before 10.2 at this point and all bb10 devices are going to continue to see further improvements over time as the os continues to mature.
    07-20-13 01:04 PM
    I doubt that this will actually happen for a couple of reasons, firstly the next higher end all-touch model is almost certainly going to be 1080p which means at least a 4.7" display and secondly there are areas like the display and chipset where there will be scope to further reduce costs over a z10 so to avoid any confusion the z10 will probably be mostly phased out with a new device occupying the lower end instead.
    http://developer.blackberry.com/desi...een_sizes.html
    Unless they change this, all present and future bb10 phones are 720p...

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-20-13 01:08 PM
    http://developer.blackberry.com/desi...een_sizes.html

I understand what you are saying, but I doubt BlackBerry will limit themselves in this manner, especially when then competition is making 1080 screens.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-20-13 10:46 PM
    Regarding the note to devs: if some devices are 720p it makes sense that all apps should be written for that then scaled by the OS if needed (1080p is 1.5x as large and would be an easy scale, it is much harder to scale down).

This would ensure apps run on all devices (of that aspect ratio) and I doubt anyone would even notice the resolution difference for the few bitmap items used in apps.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 01:11 AM
    Still with this Z5 stuff? SMH. It's funny how people have taken what essentially equates to an idea, a desire to want something, and have made it a percepted reality. - http://www.berrynation.es/blackberry-z5-donde-estas/
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-21-13 01:36 AM
    I don't care what it might be called, just that it is reasonable to think Blackberry will round out their portfolio with a touch screen device, at a similar, [lower] price to the Q5.
    07-21-13 01:15 PM
    The A10 is really just a bigger Z10. Not really a leaps and bounds better phone than the Z, it's more of just a companion device for those like like larger screens. Does Samsung consider the Note it's elite device and the galaxy with near-same hardware specs and a smaller screen to be it's mid tier? No. It's simply just a larger device for people who like larger screens. No need to call it a "z5". I will not be side-grading to the larger screened A10.
    07-21-13 01:36 PM
    Designing for different screen sizes - BlackBerry Developer
    While they will stick with that for now on the mid-highish a-series, there is clearly zero chance of them sticking to that once they get into 2014 with the higher end models because there is nowhere else for them to go with those models.

720p will obviously persist in mid to lower end models for quite some time though.
    07-21-13 02:59 PM
    Still with this Z5 stuff? SMH. It's funny how people have taken what essentially equates to an idea, a desire to want something, and have made it a percepted reality. - BlackBerry Z5 dnde estas? | BerryNation
    Regardless of what they eventually choose to call it, the cafe series is the defacto z5 and people are merely using that moniker in the same way that they call the a-series devices a10 even though we do not know what the eventual model number will be, it isn't a big deal.
    07-21-13 03:00 PM
    I would buy a z5 based purely on size-- I like a smaller device that actually fits into my front pants pocket. I went from z10 to q10 b/c of size and keyboard, but now I actually miss the virtual keyboard of the z10, so I have come to the conclusion that I like the virtual keyboard of the z and the size of q, thus I will take a z5 please. Thanks.
    07-22-13 12:41 AM
    I would buy a z5 based purely on size-- I like a smaller device that actually fits into my front pants pocket. I went from z10 to q10 b/c of size and keyboard, but now I actually miss the virtual keyboard of the z10, so I have come to the conclusion that I like the virtual keyboard of the z and the size of q, thus I will take a z5 please. Thanks.
    I think you will be disappointed if you expect the z5 to be a smaller device, it will be intended to be a cheaper rather than smaller model and indeed it could even end up being larger with say something like a 4.5" 720p display being so common that they would be cheaper than doing another 4.2" model.
    07-22-13 03:25 PM
    I think you will be disappointed if you expect the z5 to be a smaller device, it will be intended to be a cheaper rather than smaller model and indeed it could even end up being larger with say something like a 4.5" 720p display being so common that they would be cheaper than doing another 4.2" model.
    I doubt if it is branded the Z5 that it will be larger than a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 03:48 PM
    There is no doubt that a smaller and cheaper touchscreen devices was needed. The problem is the Z10 is now filling the cheaper spot for US customers that usually have devices built into their contracts. The Z10 is already $99 at the carrier's, and from $49 down to $0 at the re-sellers.

With it's minimum hardware requirements, I don't think the Z5 would be any cheaper to than a Q5... so where would it really fit? Don't belive a small screen size is going really be a compelling enough reason to go into production with this device for the US market.

Now in markets where the consumers usually buy a device outright,maybe it would be priced far enough from the Z10. But I think that once the A10 is out, the Z10 retail price is going to have to fall - already there are plenty of discounted devices on ebay. If all three device had been released at once, maybe BBRY's plans would have worked.

What BBRY needed was a entry level device, and mid grade device and a premium device. The software won't run on a true entry level device... so that's out. And BBRY can't really afford premium hardware and still sell it at competitive prices... so that's out. They are left with the middle ground.
    07-23-13 08:33 AM
    Expect the Z5 to have the same internals as the the Q5 but a smaller version of the Z10 or maybe they will keep it the same size.

07-23-13 08:37 AM
    Do you guys think that selling a Z5 at cost (or minuscule profit) would be good for expanding BlackBerry 10's ecosystem?

Like, actual question. I don't know. Is the effort worth it?

I think a cheap one in a massive array of colours might seem quite appealing........

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    williaml likes this.
    07-23-13 10:58 AM
36 12