02-22-15 11:03 AM
60 123
tools
    Motorola defy pro was running android with an amazing physical keyboard. Awesome little phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 02:39 PM
    BB10 and Android OS's? Absolutely not. Why on earth would they do such a thing? BB10 is far superior to Android.
    The Android App support is a great feature.

And if you must, BB10 is the best Android out to date.

Posted by Q5
    01-06-15 08:58 AM
    Take the Q10 or Classic form factor, put high-end hardware inside and have it run the latest flavor of Android and you'd have a Android device unlike any that has ever been made.

I don't know about you, but I can't name any Android device with a physical keyboard as nice as BlackBerry can make.

That's reason enough for me to buy a Android phone from BlackBerry on day one.
    As far as I know, one of the big failings for getting an Android device with a well functioning physical keyboard, is because the OS was originally built and intended to run on touch devices. Maybe I'm incorrect about this though.

In my opinion I haven't come across a mobile device that has a pkb in the same league as the BlackBerry devices with pkb's.
    A major point that kept me off Android and iPhone, are their disgraceful virtual keyboards.

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    Caldevert83 likes this.
    01-07-15 10:32 AM
    I have to fully agree. The iPhone and Android digital keyboards are terrible. But you wouldn't know this entirely until you actually use a BB10 virtual keyboard.
    BBRY has the best physical and virtual keyboards out to date.

Posted by Q5
    01-28-15 10:23 AM
    No thanks
    01-30-15 10:13 PM
    Another issue I'd see with an all Android BlackBerry is, whatever that phone might be called, let's say BlackBerry BlackDroid, would have all the apps.

Guy 1: Buys a BlackDroid, Loves it. Plays Candy Crush all day long.

Guy 2: Sees guy one with his BlackBerry with all the apps(working notifications) the whole load, decides to get one, doesn't research it, because let's face it not many people do research what phone is best for them! Ends up buying a Z30 without the apps, doesn't understand sideloading (doesn't care either) spends the duration of his contract hating BlackBerry and tells all his friends how s***ty BlackBerry Is!

Posted via CB10
    02-03-15 05:54 PM
    This reminds me of the thread started way back in August where someone heard a rumor that AT&T had requested a rounded Passport. It sounded so ridiculous that only one person even bothered to respond and nobody took it seriously.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssport-952283/
    mithrazor likes this.
    02-03-15 06:12 PM
    It's not just the whole idea of Android apps working well on the platform but all of googles services. If you take Android, customize it, and try to sell it without Google's support (Google Play, Hangouts, Google Now) you end up with a Fire Phone. And those sales have been terrible.

Posted via CB10
    lnichols and Bbnivende like this.
    02-05-15 12:24 AM
    Exactly, it's like looking at someone working on a Macbook pro but they are running windows. It just defeats the whole purpose of buying the mac..

If BlackBerry moves over and installs Android as a "dual-boot". I will definitely remove if possible. Otherwise you might as well just purchase an android device
    If the hardware suits them better, but they don't want a particular OS then things like a Mac running windows or a BB running Android make sense.

Personally, I doubt they would launch a dual-boot device, if they went down this route then it would be something like a Passport running Android exclusively, giving people that form factor while still allowing them to keep running Android if that was their preference because realistically that could be an easier way for them to build market share than to stick to just BB10.

One plus if they did go down this route, those of us running existing android devices might get our hands on a launcher that featured the Hub and other things that BB still does better than Android/IOS.
    02-05-15 04:50 PM
    If the hardware suits them better, but they don't want a particular OS then things like a Mac running windows or a BB running Android make sense.

Personally, I doubt they would launch a dual-boot device, if they went down this route then it would be something like a Passport running Android exclusively, giving people that form factor while still allowing them to keep running Android if that was their preference because realistically that could be an easier way for them to build market share than to stick to just BB10.

One plus if they did go down this route, those of us running existing android devices might get our hands on a launcher that featured the Hub and other things that BB still does better than Android/IOS.
    I would love the hub on my Nexus 6.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-05-15 05:10 PM
    Regarding BB10 and Android on one device? No Thanks, I can't stand Android, let alone have it anywhere near my precious BB10.

Posted by Q5
    Trully likes this.
    02-07-15 09:44 PM
    If they do this it wouldn't be a dual boot device. It would be a virtual machine in bb10 running full android. With specialized devices like the passport, classic, and upcoming slider there is no way they could use android as a base os. Those devices require way to much specialized software for the extra functionality they have.

I'm guessing you would just launch it just like an another app and minimize by swiping up just like an app but it would have full compatibility unlike the runtime if it did come true.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by matt4pack; 02-09-15 at 10:51 AM.
    02-08-15 09:42 PM
    If they do this it wouldn't be a dual boot device. It would be a virtual machine in bb10 running full android. With specialized devices like the passport, classic, and upcoming slider there is no way they could use android as a base os. Those devices require way to much specialized software for the extra functionality they have.

I'm guessing you would just launch it just like an another app and minimize by swiping up just like an app but it would have full compatibility unlike the runtime if it did come true.

Posted via CB10
    I doubt this would make Google happy enough to allow BB into the OHA and grant them play store access. What if Samsung wants to do the same thing with Tizen? Now that I think about it, even a phone running both BB10 and Android simultaneously (work side of balance = bb10, personal = android) is not something I could see Goolge going for. It would be a slippery slope for them, and a headache not worth dealing with considering BB's miniscule market share.

I think the only real solution would be for BB to make a BB10 android skinned phone for consumers, while keeping BB10 minus the android run time for highly security conscious business customers. Basically phones like the classic and passport would be BB10, while the all touch phones would be android. And if the 'look and feel' of BB10 caught on enough then maybe there would be a chance for them to slowly exit the android world and go back to BB10 for consumers after a 5 year period. This assuming that they can get devs writing native apps for whatever BB10 business customers are out there (big if).
    02-09-15 11:13 PM
    It's not just the whole idea of Android apps working well on the platform but all of googles services. If you take Android, customize it, and try to sell it without Google's support (Google Play, Hangouts, Google Now) you end up with a Fire Phone. And those sales have been terrible.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, they have been terrible. Overpricing them at $199 on a 2 yr contract didn't help at all. Amazon was delusional. If they had priced these things at $0 on a 2yr, we'd be having a different conversation right now. The whole point of the fire phone was to act a front door to the Amazon online store. They should have treated the fire phone as loss a leader. Somewhere (idiotically) along the way they decided they wanted to be smartphone maker. :S
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-09-15 11:18 PM
    This could potentially make me re consider BlackBerry once more. Hopefully it'll become truth.
    02-09-15 11:29 PM
    A BlackBerry device with the writing "Powered by Android" when switched on?

Impossible.
    02-11-15 04:37 PM
    Regarding BB10 and Android on one device? No Thanks, I can't stand Android, let alone have it anywhere near my precious BB10.

Posted by Q5
    That literally made me laugh. Haven't you heard? Your "precious" has an awful lot of Android in it already.That's kind of what happens when you hit rock bottom and have no other choice but to piggy back off of more successful platforms. You end up with bits of Android mixed in with your BlackBerry 10.

It is cool to hate Android or whatever, but you sure picked the wrong platform if you didn't want to be anywhere it.
    02-11-15 09:49 PM
    That literally made me laugh. Haven't you heard? Your "precious" has an awful lot of Android in it already.That's kind of what happens when you hit rock bottom and have no other choice but to piggy back off of more successful platforms. You end up with bits of Android mixed in with your BlackBerry 10.

It is cool to hate Android or whatever, but you sure picked the wrong platform if you didn't want to be anywhere it.
    They're not any better than the "iSheep", you can't expect posts to get any better to be honest.
    02-11-15 10:01 PM
    They're not any better than the "iSheep", you can't expect posts to get any better to be honest.
    What does iSheep have to do with anything we are talking about? Maybe you misunderstood what I posted or perhaps you've quoted the wrong person, but ya lost me.
    02-12-15 09:18 AM
    A BlackBerry device with the writing "Powered by Android" when switched on?

Impossible.
    Not impossible at all, they need so many million hardware sales a year to keep that part of the company viable so if it comes down to a choice of half of those (or more) being android devices with a BB flavour or dropping out of hardware entirely it seems like an obvious option for them to take.
    Witmen likes this.
    02-12-15 10:30 AM
    I love my Passport, came from Nexus 5. But if they made a Passport with android on it. I think it would be amazing. If any other company could make a phone with as good of a keyboard as Blackberry can I think it would definitely sell.
    02-12-15 02:07 PM
    Legally, BlackBerry can't make a hybrid phone or a full Android phone that'll be anything worthwhile unless they sign the necessary paperwork to get Google services. Which invalidates hybrid phones.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-15 02:36 PM
    This could potentially make me re consider BlackBerry once more. Hopefully it'll become truth.
    Why would you want such a thing? BB10 is far better than Android.
    02-16-15 11:08 PM
    Why would you want such a thing? BB10 is far better than Android.
    Because I need very specific apps that are not on BlackBerry and unfortunately the runtime doesn't provide a good experience with them.
    02-17-15 06:38 PM
    Because I need very specific apps that are not on BlackBerry and unfortunately the runtime doesn't provide a good experience with them.
    Name the Apps please. I am curious because I've been running BB10.3.1 and several Android Apps that I use everyday run a lot better on my Q5 then on my Galaxy.

In regards to having a Dual Boot BlackBerry, from a Hardware Point of view, that is not possible. BlackBerry 10's require special hardware specifications where as Android does not. This is due to BB10 being a highly sophisticated & Multi Gesture OS.
    It represents the future of mobility whether people like it or not. Its only a matter of time. A BB10 Native App runs circles around a Android & even an iOS Native App.
    02-17-15 09:59 PM
60 123