08-30-10 07:22 AM
30 12
tools
    Post here things that you wish that the Blackberry OS or devices would implement which yourself see as something simple but would be worth it to RIM to implement. There's no need to post something which has been confirmed.
    Here's mine:

Video Calling. The Big Three all have a VideoCalling service setup, and they are now working to integrate their systems together. Video calling would be great for conference calling or just to say goodnight to your little one from across the country (or world if that system works)

Printing: This would probably be something that DataViz would have to do. Most devices have WiFi now and it should be possible to print the document directly to a network printer using Bonjour, CUPS, etc (and maybe even emulates a fax machine). it would help out a lot, and I seem to be having a hard time finding a third party app that does this.

More memory: this is pretty much a given, but with the dawn of OpenGL ES there will be games coded that could be over 100mbs. this could be avoided if RIM restricts the maximum size of a single application (which depending on how it works will encourage developers to write more efficient code and void using chintzy graphics instead of the OS's button renderer thingy)

bigger cameras: It would be nice if the Storm3 had a 5mp camera to keep in line with the current Android devices eta.

Higher resolutions: I know that this is maybe a preference thing, but HVGA just doesn't cut it when you are trying to read a webcomic or any other fairly big image. (Storm1)

Advanced memory management: For a while I couldn't figure out why my Storm1 goes from 20mb of free app memory to 0mb, but then I discovered that viigo ballooned to many times it size. If there was a way to differentiate the different types of memory an app uses it would be helpful. Even if it's just a initial size/last time closed size/current size comparison. even help if the OS could tell if an app was ballooning to a dangerous extent and then prompt you to quit all running processes for that app.

Cleaned up UI: I don't really care how many special effects you can shove into the phone, as long as the phone can run through it's paces with minimal lag.

Snapdragon CPU: If they are not testing it internally, the should.
    Last edited by grahamf; 04-20-10 at 01:44 AM.
    04-20-10 12:37 AM

More memory: this is pretty much a given, but with the dawn of OpenGL ES there will be games coded that could be over 100mbs. this could be avoided if RIM restricts the maximum size of a single application (which depending on how it works will encourage developers to write more efficient code and void using chintzy graphics instead of the OS's button renderer thingy)
    I'm going to one up here. Allowing user to have the option of saving apps to memory cards, would be awesome!
    04-20-10 08:27 AM
    I'm going to one up here. Allowing user to have the option of saving apps to memory cards, would be awesome!
    I'd agree, but I'm pretty sure that RIM wouldn't allow this for security sake or something.
    But: The Staorm and other devices have 1gb or more of encrypted memory on the unit itself, which would be perfect.
    What I invision is that inactive app can be stored on the encrypted memory (or SD card), then when the user clicks on the app's icon the OS automatically copies the app to app memory, then runs it.
    If anyone has a Wii with downloaded games stored on the SD card, they would know what I'm talking about.
    04-20-10 09:49 AM
    Man, this thread is something that RIM should pay attention to, but at the rate that RIM moves, I think its pointless to post in here lol. We have a long time to wait before seeing video calling, printing, snapdragons or anything like that.........

Damn.......i made myself depressed
    04-22-10 03:26 AM
    I'll fix this when I'm on a computer.
    I propose a change to the Storm's keyboard. When you are typing let there be a couple millisecond delay before hiding the keybord, to make sure you did not accidently miss te top row and you did not intend to hit the "logout" link located inconviently right where the letter you typed next was.
    Last edited by grahamf; 04-22-10 at 12:35 PM.
    04-22-10 12:20 PM
    Thank god for copy and paste. It keeps on happening.
    Well I had typed an awesome couple of paragraphs as a response, but while I was typing the keyboard vanished and I accidently hit the logout button and lost then So here's a summary:
    Rome wasn't built in a day. RIM used to always wait until their devices and OS was good and ready before releasing them. Then came the Storm. When it was released it was slow buggy and considered the worst device by most. But as time went on RIM pushed updates that turned it into a pretty awesome device. The problem is that it seems as if quite a few people don't actually update their devices and may even be running the original build. Needless to say that even though the storm is a pretty awesome device now, most people don't see it that way. RIM shouldn't try to slap in new features without making sure it is Mostly bug-free. Besides, I still have a couple years in my contract so I can live without the latest and greatest, as long as the old stuff runs well and does it's job.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

04-22-10 12:40 PM
    I have a lot of music I bought from I-Tunes and I continue to buy from them just because it's easy. However, I use my Blackberry for everything now and the biggest complaint I have is having to burn my music to a CD then re-import to my I-Tunes library so my Blackberry can synch it. I know Apple did that because of licensing issues, just wish there was an easier way to get around it because I love my Blackberry!
    04-22-10 04:32 PM
    I have a lot of music I bought from I-Tunes and I continue to buy from them just because it's easy. However, I use my Blackberry for everything now and the biggest complaint I have is having to burn my music to a CD then re-import to my I-Tunes library so my Blackberry can synch it. I know Apple did that because of licensing issues, just wish there was an easier way to get around it because I love my Blackberry!
    Why do it that way, when you can just copy the songs directly to the Blackberry SD Media card, by connecting the device to BB, then open folder BB > music and then past your songs. Like you copy to any hard disc device. ITunes is a terrible software.
    04-22-10 05:42 PM
    Here's another: when you have the messages folder combine SMS, MMS, PIN's eta into it, it would be nice if there was a row of buttons that give quick access to emails-only or sms-only, and maybe even facebook-only. that way you don't have to dig through 100 facebook updates and SMSs to find that one fairly important email that you need to reference.
    04-23-10 12:45 AM
    And here's the main reason that I'd like a higher rez screen. I use viigo to subscribe to a bunch of RSS feeds, including webcomics. I've found that after this all I use the computer for is to browse three specific forums. With OS 6 I can use the storm.
    now the problem is with viigo it doesn't allow you to zoom in on pictures; instead just makiing them as wide as the screen. this is a major pain, because then you have to load the page in the browser in order to make out what they're saying because it just looks like pixle art. example:
    04-23-10 11:54 PM
    Rubberband effect to the trackpad. Because there is less tactile feedback from the trackpad, it feels king of odd trying to use it as a precise methood of scrolling. if it were to induce kinetic scrolling and a rubberband effect, it would be an improved scrolling experience.
    04-24-10 08:51 PM
    All said prior, Yes definitely! Faster processor, more memory, etc,... Make it milspec durable TOUGH, like with an otterbox cover but built on.

04-25-10 10:46 PM
    Post here things that you wish that the Blackberry OS or devices would implement which yourself see as something simple but would be worth it to RIM to implement. There's no need to post something which has been confirmed.
    Here's mine:

Video Calling. The Big Three all have a VideoCalling service setup, and they are now working to integrate their systems together. Video calling would be great for conference calling or just to say goodnight to your little one from across the country (or world if that system works)

I too would really like to see this, give me a 2MP front mount camera for video calling and a 5MP rear mount for photo's

Printing: This would probably be something that DataViz would have to do. Most devices have WiFi now and it should be possible to print the document directly to a network printer using Bonjour, CUPS, etc (and maybe even emulates a fax machine). it would help out a lot, and I seem to be having a hard time finding a third party app that does this.

Though I think this would be awesome, Printer drivers would have to become more standardized before this could happen, I would really like to be able to send a fax from the BB, turn an e-mail into a fax and away it goes...

has been addressed on newer phones, you're using an "Old" phone, with the launch of the 9650 we are seeing 512MB on board, I'll wager that when a Strom 3 is released we'd see 1024MB or 1GB, on board.

bigger cameras: It would be nice if the Storm3 had a 5mp camera to keep in line with the current Android devices eta.

Addressed by the 9650, these are natural progressions, RIM will rarely be the leader, but will follow suit

Higher resolutions: I know that this is maybe a preference thing, but HVGA just doesn't cut it when you are trying to read a webcomic or any other fairly big image. (Storm1)

I too really want a higher resolution screen, though someone will always want a higher one,
    I stopped visiting a few sites because they did not offer mobile friendly versions, a webcomic needing such a high resolution, should be breaking down the panes individually online, or allow a 640 x 400 low rez version, smartphones are growing, and peoples eye sight is not getting better.

Cleaned up UI: I don't really care how many special effects you can shove into the phone, as long as the phone can run through it's paces with minimal lag.

I only run into Lag on my tour when switching between 3rd Party apps, if they closed off app world and made it harder to develop apps they could control this, BUT that is the opposite of what people are asking for. you get lag on full laptops, it is something that will happen, a clean UI is something BB has, which is what I love about it, just find the theme that makes it perfect for your needs.

Why? I don't see ANY need for the snapdragon as long as RIM keeps a hold on there OS development, and don't let it get too bloaty, I can only imagine the heat and battery life that sucker would eat up, RIM needs to remain focused on Battery life, and smooth operation of the hardware, they don't need to get into the spec war, who's got the faster blah, more blah, they will never win that war, they have far too many ingrained business customers to change things as fast as that would require.

Now after posting that, I wont post what I want from a wish list, I've done it in a few other threads, and it is very very extensive, though a couple of points had been brought up
    04-27-10 07:35 AM
    I can understand WHY people want this, but I honestly hope they kind of have some phone lines (Curve, Storm, whatever) that stay front facing camera-less, personally. It's just creepy.

Totally agree with this.

I agree to a point, but I seriously doubt we're going to be seeing 100mb OpenGL ES games on a BlackBerry anytime soon.

Again, I see where you're coming from, but it's a cellphone. If you really need a nice camera...Nikon makes some good ones.

Again, I don't really have any issues with image quality / reading things on my Storm2, but I can understand why this is on the list.

Advanced memory management: For a while I couldn't figure out why my Storm1 goes from 20mb of free app memory to 0mb, but then I discovered that viigo ballooned to many times it size. If there was a way to differentiate the different types of memory an app uses it would be helpful. Even if it's just a initial size/last time closed size/current size comparison. even help if the OS could tell if an app was ballooning to a dangerous extent and then prompt you to quit all running processes for that app.
    I'm sure this will come with time, but it's also on the shoulders of the developers to optimize their products.

100% agree. But it should still look pretty.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about my processor speed (in my phone), as long as it works. I seriously think people are right saying it would be a waste of a good processor in a BB, as it would (probably) never fully utilize it.

My only wishlist for RIM is they don't give up on the SurePress technology. I'm absolutely in love with it and seriously don't think I could go back to normal phones, and definitely not to a touchscreen.
    04-27-10 08:54 AM
    Just to make sure, all of the software wishes are in BlackBerry 6 and most of the hardware side wishes are already here? So we pretty much just need to wait for video calling camera, higher rez screen and camera, which most likely will be in the next generation or the one after that.

04-27-10 11:54 AM
    Why would you need 1gb of onboard memory if you could save apps to the memory card? Seems a little redundant.
    04-27-10 01:35 PM
    Here's another: WiFi tethering. It would be handy to let you tether other devices without having to require that the other device has Drivers to connect to the Blackberry.
    05-04-10 12:06 PM
    I wish i could stream from my bb to my laptop and vice versa via home network through wifi .
    05-04-10 10:28 PM
    Or give us a lot more internal memory. 32GB or more to be exact. And while we're at it, something different in the design department. I mean, outside of a flip here, a slider there, most Blackberry devices look exactly the same. Lastly, kill "sure-press" on any upcoming Storm or touch screen device.
    05-07-10 06:12 PM
    I am sick of Slacker or Pandora crashing when I get another Alert. It would be one thing if they just paused, but it seems like they can't handle the disruption too well.
    05-12-10 01:36 PM
    I know i will probably be one of the very few (if not the only one) but I would love to see another iDEN Blackberry. I have had an 8350i since it came out but would like something new. I mean motorola keeps coming out with new ones all the time and Nextel is rumored to announce the new motorola i1 (android) in early summer , so if the can come out with a touchscreen android phone why cant BB comeout with something new or even and iDEN version of the newer curves or bolds or tours (with wifi please).

i know its just hopeless dreaming but atleast i got to rant!
    05-25-10 06:40 PM
    Or give us a lot more internal memory. 32GB or more to be exact. And while we're at it, something different in the design department. I mean, outside of a flip here, a slider there, most Blackberry devices look exactly the same. Lastly, kill "sure-press" on any upcoming Storm or touch screen device.
    I've used sure-press only a handful of times but it doesn't seem that bad... it's not fair to say kill it because almost everyone who uses it loves it, they could just keep it as a option? RIM isn't forcing anyone to buy it, plus the 9800 will be touchscreen so there's another option
    05-25-10 09:27 PM
    Higher resolution video camera. If the Droid can do 720p, there shouldn't be any reason for BBs not to do so as well.

Flash support so we can watch streaming videos in our web browsers.
    08-25-10 06:49 PM
    SurePress on upcoming Storm devices. Please.
    08-26-10 12:59 AM
    9700 Bold form factor with a bigger dimension all around (think in the middle btwn a 9700 and a 9000). A surepress touch screen for navigation and scrolling a trackpad and call/end button set up like the 9700 for copy/paste and all the extras that the click screen has a hard time doing. Slap a 9700 keyboard to it, a 1ghz processor, higher res screen that utilizes the entire space left to right (no black boarders), 1gb memory, openGL, 6mp camera with flash, auto focus, image stablizer, OS6, and the slick metal battery door of the Storm 2 and dark chrome bezel that sparkles as much as the upgraded resolution.

Give us this and I think Blackberry will sell 1,000,000 EASY on launch weekend and RIM can win back its defectors in droves!

Also.... Make it available for launch on LTE network
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 08-27-10 at 03:07 PM.
    08-27-10 03:03 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD