Theres no doubt that RIM is always looking for new design concepts after all, what manufacturer isnt? Though the issue has been mentioned numerous times, it came back to the spotlight this week, thanks to Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu. According to Wu, the touchscreen slider has entered the prototype stage and is slated for a 2010 release. Known as the Pluto 9900 (which weve heard about over the past few months), Wu says that its the best of both worlds.
    Although RIMs business strategy is historically conservative, I like this design. Quite different, and a needed addition to the lineup!

------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks to BBdog for the Info!
    11-18-09 10:23 PM
    I hope not, I have a feeling it will be an epic fail. The only thing saving it MAYBE is that it is rumored to have a full touch screen
    11-18-09 10:27 PM
    reminds me of the tmble wing, not feeling it
    11-19-09 01:40 AM
    I am actually feeling this concept. Gives you a huge screen/touch screen & a physical QWERTY keyboard. I just hope it's not cheaply made or too bulky! I'd buy one though...
    11-19-09 03:18 PM
    I like the slider idea, but the keyboard that slides out should be like the curve's keyboard. Those long keyboards are damn near impossible to type with one handed!!
    11-19-09 09:06 PM
    how much longer will this photo keep circling around these forums?!
    11-19-09 11:26 PM
    if they do a slider it had D@mn well better be a vertical one like the Pre and use either the curve or pearl style keys. sideways sliders are horrible to type on and feel cheap in the hands
    11-21-09 02:07 PM
    Haha! Someone's gotta trash that Samsung-looking picture. This phone looks weak, along with any other slider out there. I'm sure that, if by 2010, RIM DOES get a slider out, it'll look exponentially better.
    11-21-09 02:28 PM
    Well obviously it won't look anything like that image, but I definitely see RIM doing this. I think they want to continue exploring with touch screens, and adding physical keyboards allows for a broader range of potential customers. And having devices that are strictly touch screen as well as touch screen/physical keyboard and even non-touchscreen/physical keyboard is the best way to appeal to that broad range of potential customers.
    11-22-09 04:56 AM
    I too hope they opt for a palm pre style slider. It is easier to type one handed while I drive. If they go with this drawing then I would have to steer with my knees and that means I'd spill my coffee....

PG
    11-22-09 09:15 AM
    That photo has been circulating in tech sites for the longest time. If I remembered correctly that photo came out first when it related to some Nokia smartphone concept. Not sure though.
    11-22-09 09:16 AM

Theres no doubt that RIM is always looking for new design concepts after all, what manufacturer isnt? Though the issue has been mentioned numerous times, it came back to the spotlight this week, thanks to Kaufman Bros. analyst Shaw Wu. According to Wu, the touchscreen slider has entered the prototype stage and is slated for a 2010 release. Known as the Pluto 9900 (which weve heard about over the past few months), Wu says that its the best of both worlds.
    Although RIMs business strategy is historically conservative, I like this design. Quite different, and a needed addition to the lineup!

------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks to BBdog for the Info!
    What do you think of this then?

11-23-09 11:48 AM
    wow this is so old look at the os in the pic and that aint a full touch its bearly a 2.5 inch screen adn anyway ima blackberry addict and theres no way i would buy it i would though if it was like the storm/storm 2 with a slide out keyboard and the trackball/trackpad for naviagtion
    11-23-09 05:30 PM
    how much longer will this photo keep circling around these forums?!
    I want to get paid a nickel from all the people who keep posting it here.
    11-23-09 07:09 PM
    That "prototype" pic reminds me of the HTC Dream...

11-23-09 08:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD