-New redesigned OS
    -New browser which will support tabbed browsing and Widgets
    -Flash support
    -6MP camera
    -19 second reboot time
    -Tremendously improved battery life
    -Not a Slider(90% chance its not)
    -screen support for millions of colors

There are actually 2 Storm 3's in testing. One is a slider and the other is not. They said that there is a 90% chance that its not gonna be a Slider.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    your source? you just basically reiterated what the jlevy dude said in the other forum... without divulging your source, what makes your info credible?
    02-01-10 12:05 PM
    they are getting better??? um, others have had it DOWN since 2007... that's the lamest excuse i've ever heard!!! LOL

RIM needs to focus on KEYBOARDS... not TOUCH screen... they plain SUCK at it...
    Strange. RIM makes the only touch screen phone I would ever consider using with SurePress. If anything, RIM is one step ahead of the competition when they pair their capacitive screens with piezo technology.

02-01-10 02:18 PM
    He should be banned for life! You had yours first and you know the significance of the below photo. Those two facts entitle you to it.
    It happens every time the tigers win a game... Let's roll Toomer's Corner!
    02-01-10 02:39 PM
    time to dredge this one back up again... let's hear some rumors!
    04-27-10 12:50 PM
    I just want to know when its suppossed to hit verizon!!! I want to hit my storm 1 with a hammer!!!

Eta!!! Anybody!!!!
    04-27-10 01:47 PM
    I just want to know when its suppossed to hit verizon!!! I want to hit my storm 1 with a hammer!!!

Eta!!! Anybody!!!!
    Nope. There hasn't even been any pics or videos of it leaked yet.
    04-27-10 02:53 PM
    Five years ago, if someone said "RIM is going to make a touchscreen phone, a flip, and a slider", you would say "Madness! That's impossible! It warps the mind!", and yet here we are, two out of three, with the third on the way. It only makes good business sense to offer something in every form factor, and like it or not, landscape sliders are popular in the market at large. RIM has already toyed with the idea in patent applications from several years ago.

Yeah, the Pearl Flip wasn't a great stab at a flip, but RIM's trying again, and I have no reason to think they wouldn't continue to experiment in new form factors. The keyboard would have to undergo a radical redesign, since RIM has basically been sitting on the same three types for years now, but I would welcome them to try. Then again, I probably wouldn't buy one.
    04-27-10 04:49 PM
    your source? you just basically reiterated what the jlevy dude said in the other forum... without divulging your source, what makes your info credible?
    There is no credible proof that any spec rumors regarding the storm 3 are true. If they already had even a prototype built and "testing", it would have been already advertised albiet "coming soon".

Marketing now is that competetive. Everybody has to get the jump on the others. just my opinion.... But if they were even 6 months away from hitting the shelf, legitamite photos at least would already be out (not photoshopped cr*p or dummy models).

Flame away.

04-28-10 09:52 AM
    There is no credible proof that any spec rumors regarding the storm 3 are true. If they already had even a prototype built and "testing", it would have been already advertised albiet "coming soon".

Marketing now is that competetive. Everybody has to get the jump on the others. just my opinion.... But if they were even 6 months away from hitting the shelf, legitamite photos at least would already be out (not photoshopped cr*p or dummy models).

Flame away.

I'm calling Shenanigans on this.

I spent about 2-3 months last year, on this site too, prior to the Storm 2 launch ... and unable to find factual, legitimate, concrete proof of it existing beyond rumors and mockups. In fact, advertisements didn't even appear on the Verizon site until about a week prior to it's release.

So no, it's very possible we won't see legitimate photos or sound specs until closer to release. Who knows, maybe they're going to move closer to Apple and be tighter on releasing stuff like that, or even focusing on other phones?

Anyway. Factually speaking, they did not give tons of pre-release info to anyone prior to the Storm 2. Let's hope history does not repeat, but at this point, it looks like it might.

(And, commenting on past parts of this thread ... I love my Storm 2. Surepress is Fan-Freakin-Tastic. And if anyone thinks that Apple has had smart/touch phones 'down' since 2007, they didn't use the buggy unfinished clunky OS that it came with. Was it innovative and new, something different and definitely a first-of-it's-kind? Sure. Was it as glossy and polished as it is now, 3 years later? ...they just added folders. Yeah. End point.)
    04-28-10 10:40 AM
    I'm calling Shenanigans on this.

I spent about 2-3 months last year, on this site too, prior to the Storm 2 launch ... and unable to find factual, legitimate, concrete proof of it existing beyond rumors and mockups. In fact, advertisements didn't even appear on the Verizon site until about a week prior to it's release.

So no, it's very possible we won't see legitimate photos or sound specs until closer to release. Who knows, maybe they're going to move closer to Apple and be tighter on releasing stuff like that, or even focusing on other phones?

Anyway. Factually speaking, they did not give tons of pre-release info to anyone prior to the Storm 2. Let's hope history does not repeat, but at this point, it looks like it might.

(And, commenting on past parts of this thread ... I love my Storm 2. Surepress is Fan-Freakin-Tastic. And if anyone thinks that Apple has had smart/touch phones 'down' since 2007, they didn't use the buggy unfinished clunky OS that it came with. Was it innovative and new, something different and definitely a first-of-it's-kind? Sure. Was it as glossy and polished as it is now, 3 years later? ...they just added folders. Yeah. End point.)
    I agree with you. To add to your comment, Apple released iphone with some limitations dumb phones already had. I realize this is circa 2007 and technology moves fast, but c'mon, it's taking them 3 years to address limited multi-tasking?
    04-28-10 12:53 PM
    Five years ago, if someone said "RIM is going to make a touchscreen phone, a flip, and a slider", you would say "Madness! That's impossible! It warps the mind!", and yet here we are, two out of three, with the third on the way. It only makes good business sense to offer something in every form factor, and like it or not, landscape sliders are popular in the market at large. RIM has already toyed with the idea in patent applications from several years ago.
    A portrait slider just makes far more sense for a blackberry than a landscape, it keeps the same usability as a normal blackberry in that you can use it very easily with one or two hands unlike landscape sliders that are pretty crappy to use one handed.
    04-28-10 05:02 PM
    What I know about the Storm 3:

-512MB of app memory
    -New redesigned OS
    -New browser which will support tabbed browsing and Widgets
    -Flash support
    -6MP camera
    -19 second reboot time
    -Tremendously improved battery life
    -Not a Slider(90% chance its not)
    -screen support for millions of colors

There are actually 2 Storm 3's in testing. One is a slider and the other is not. They said that there is a 90% chance that its not gonna be a Slider.
    Os, memory, browser etc are a given, but some of that list is just silly, we have actual leaks of a 5mp camera so how likely is it that they would make such a small increase to 6mp on one device when that reduces their ability to buy in bulk.

Boot time and battery life aren't credible either since those are just the kind of things they would be working to improve in the period leading up to release.

Given that the slider seems to be a gsm device, it has nothing much to do with storm 3 rumours since that is most likely going to be primarily a cdma device again.
    04-28-10 05:10 PM
    Someone needs to take a Storm 3 engineer to a Biergarten!
    04-29-10 10:49 AM
    ^ lolllllll
    04-29-10 11:53 AM
    I'd love to test one of those. Not the slider though lol.
    04-29-10 01:06 PM
    Does this mean Storm3? Confirmed that Strorm2 has been discontinued at multiple Best Buy locations today...
    04-29-10 08:46 PM
    Not sure if I want to ride this ride anymore
    04-29-10 10:39 PM
    Maybe I'm naive or just a snob, but I'm using the Storm 1 (my second touch screen after a palm treo) and I am completely in love with the hardware as it is. I think the touch screen capabilities are great, and their keyboard (especially Suretype) is a huge improvement over a lot of the others on the market. But honestly, I think that a slider would just make the storm a cop out and would make it ugly. They set out to make a full touch screen phone, why go this far only to take a step back?
    04-29-10 11:40 PM
    It's not a step back. Some people prefer the hardware keyboard, but may find it difficult to pass on the large screen. I'm definitely interested in the Slider, but may still go for the Storm3.

04-30-10 12:32 AM
    I don't know who resurrected tgua old thread but let's clarify a few things.

The slider is not the S3 and it is a portrait slider. It should be out on GSM carriers this summer running OS6. It does not HAve Sure Press.

The S3 will be a full touch device. We know very little at this stage but it should drop at the same time as S1/2 which means Oct or Nov. Rumors say it has OS6 512 ram and is very fast. It has Sure Press and supports LTE. Again all rumor.

Any of the above is complete rumor but this is what has been reported on this site to date.

04-30-10 07:50 AM
    I try and avoid all the speculative things, though I know some people eat it up. Fun to think about and some things are relatively obvious (i.e., 512MB Memory, OS 6.0, 5MP camera, etc.) and some are guess work.

Personally though, I not only don't WANT to believe the 3 would be a slider (never met a slider I liked yet...I bought a Storm because I wanted touchscreen) but I find it hard to believe that RIM would so significantly change a brand's premise (I know..someone will challenge me on that one). Slider will be a different device entirely.
    04-30-10 07:58 AM
    i think it was said a few times that the storm 3 wont be a slider. the 9700a is the new flagship not a replacement from what i understand.

on a side note. If its slick thin and long battery life and the browser on OS6 is actually good. i probably stick around for one more year. im happy the 9700 will be able to upgrade to os6 ... they didnt kill the resale value of a phone that i paid 600$ for lol
    04-30-10 08:09 AM
    My speculation and only mine knowing current technology.

3.7″ high-resolution (720 x 540 pixels) 4:3 ratio
    6-8 MP camera with autofocus, Image Stabilization (IS), flash and video recording capabilities
    512MB-1GB Flash memory, 4-8GB of on-board memory storage and a microSD/SDHD memory card slot with a 32GB card included
    Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth v2.1+EDR
    SurePress??
    Built-in GPS
    1GHz Processor
    04-30-10 08:14 PM
    My speculation and only mine knowing current technology.

3.7? high-resolution (720 x 540 pixels) 4:3 ratio
    6-8 MP camera with autofocus, Image Stabilization (IS), flash and video recording capabilities
    512MB-1GB Flash memory, 4-8GB of on-board memory storage and a microSD/SDHD memory card slot with a 32GB card included
    Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) and Bluetooth v2.1+EDR
    SurePress??
    Built-in GPS
    1GHz Processor
    I'll add the one thing you forgot

LTE radio

04-30-10 08:28 PM
    I've seen many people excited over the growing number of megapixels on the various device cameras. Keep in mind that megapixels are a marketing scheme, set to influence consumer decisions (the more, the better, right?). Unfortunately, this is horribly misleading. Not all megapixels are the same.

"Megapixels" are the number of lenses that the manufacturer is able to cram on to a chip. Thus, you can have a 5 MP sensor for a phone or a 5 MP sensor for a point and shoot camera, with the P+S having a considerably larger chip. Equal number of MP, but the point and shoot is going to provide substantially better photographs, because the individual lenses are larger (also, more room for advanced processing circuitry). The chips in these phones are tiny!

Finally, in order to see an effective improvement in image output, you need to roughly double the number of MP. So, going from 3.2 to 5, isn't a "giant leap for mankind" just a small one.

To give you an idea, my entry into the world of digital photography was a 12.3 MP camera, the lenses put on what is called an "APS" sized chip, which is slightly smaller than half the size of a 35 mm negative. I still have this camera and it produces beautiful photographs, capable of producing images on signs as large as 6' high x X wide. At the time of my purchase, five years ago (a lifetime in electronics as we all know) it was Nikon's flagship camera. Now, Nikon has a new model, same number of megapixels but on a "full size sensor" = a full, 35 mm frame. The difference in output quality is simply astounding....same MP, but larger lenses and there is no question as to which is the better camera.

So, hope for the best, but expect something substantially less than you might envision, when you read those high numbers!
    04-30-10 09:50 PM
155 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD