01-06-15 08:53 AM
71 123
tools
    I spoke to a friend who spoke to a friend who has seen the road map and there is a slider on it for 2015 as well as a full touch high end.

Sorry....not sure if already posted and no I did not get any further details.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 04:26 PM
    this was talked about before when chen was discussing the tablet i am pretty sure on his trip to china.
    11-04-14 04:27 PM
    Been somewhat discussed but nice to hear it's supposedly on the device roadmap, and not just wild speculation.

So when/where do I send $$? Let's get that slider out on the market!

BB for Life
    CMZ_DL likes this.
    11-04-14 06:33 PM
    The planned device may not be a traditional "slider", but may be the Visa concept which has a collapsible keyboard. This would probably be enough to satisfy slider fans without needing as complicated a mechanism as a phone like the Torch 9800 had.
    11-04-14 06:43 PM
    The planned device may not be a traditional "slider", but may be the Visa concept which has a collapsible keyboard. This would probably be enough to satisfy slider fans without needing as complicated a mechanism as a phone like the Torch 9800 had.
    It's as close to a slider than they'll get. It's not like they can find this with another competitor.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-14 07:02 PM
    ...but the mechanism profiled in the patent is very different than 'traditional' sliders, and frankly it looked like the top row of keys wouldn't have much in way of support i.e. push on the key and the whole keyboard will move. The "traditional" slider mechanism is a solved problem... I might have to wait for the 2.0 version... and my touch-sensitive Passport keyboard isn't the be-all-and-end-all solution that the belt + trackpad is, so if the plan is to implement a hide-able keyboard that's touch sensitive like the Passport, let's hope they don't botch the job.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-04-14 07:05 PM
    ...but the mechanism profiled in the patent is very different than 'traditional' sliders, and frankly it looked like the top row of keys wouldn't have much in way of support i.e. push on the key and the whole keyboard will move. The "traditional" slider mechanism is a solved problem... I might have to wait for the 2.0 version... and my touch-sensitive Passport keyboard isn't the be-all-and-end-all solution that the belt + trackpad is, so if the plan is to implement a hide-able keyboard that's touch sensitive like the Passport, let's hope they don't botch the job.
    +1

The collapsible keyboard better offer some cool features when put away, otherwise I'd much prefer the Torch form, the belt on front and full 4 row slides out (PP like touch optional)

BB for Life
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-05-14 10:09 AM
    BlackBerry obviously had a think and if they delivered a device to the public which was essentially a "torch" with beefed up specs, the critics would tear them apart.

So they are possibly tying to re-invent the slider. Hopefully it looks good and is not some thick and chunky thing that people don't want.

Luckily I have until Feb 2016 till I get a new phone and not in a hurry right now

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3247
    11-06-14 06:53 AM
    BlackBerry obviously had a think and if they delivered a device to the public which was essentially a "torch" with beefed up specs, the critics would tear them apart.
    I hope that the Passport proved that BlackBerry is willing to release a device that offers serious utility in the face of name-calling. The days or rolling eyes and looking away from BlackBerry offerings by the media are either over, or BlackBerry can't let it get to them (hence putting the 9900 back into production).

So they are possibly tying to re-invent the slider. Hopefully it looks good and is not some thick and chunky thing that people don't want.
    I think the assumption that people want thin devices for their daily driver is in direct opposition to the fact that just about every thin elegant device available is saddled with a thick ugly case.

I will take thick and functional and powerful over thin any day. I may not be in the majority but let's put it this way: NOBODY using a BB10 Device for their daily driver is using it because of how thin it is.

Posted via CB10
    Biggles likes this.
    11-06-14 07:39 AM

I will take thick and functional and powerful over thin any day. I may not be in the majority but let's put it this way: NOBODY using a BB10 Device for their daily driver is using it because of how thin it is. Posted via CB10
    To me, at the moment, all Blackberry 10 devices are "Thin" what I'm talking about is having something that is say 12mm + in thickness. Thats too big. anything around the 10mm and below i consider "Thin"
    11-07-14 02:11 AM
    To me, at the moment, all Blackberry 10 devices are "Thin" what I'm talking about is having something that is say 12mm + in thickness. Thats too big. anything around the 10mm and below i consider "Thin"
    I will take thick and functional and powerful over thin any day. I may not be in the majority but let's put it this way: NOBODY using a BB10 Device for their daily driver is using it because of how thin it is.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks guys for your views on "thin" and "thick".
    I rather dislike "thin" devices. The current BB10 phones are just right.

Actually, I got so used to my Q10 in the genuine flip case, it felt weird without the case, kind of not substantial enough...

See where the "thin fetish" got Apple...

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    11-07-14 11:17 PM
    I'm interested in a slider or "hider".
    16:9 has its uses...

coaltowking likes this.
    11-07-14 11:18 PM
    Could get a passport right now but am waiting on the slider/hider to be revealed. Always wanted a BlackBerry slider. Best off both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 05:24 AM
    Z30 seems to be a great size in only two days of use. I don't consider it a thick device at all. Z30 was a little thick. If non removable batteries are needed then I'm all for them as I was never a battery swapper.

Posted from my Z30
    11-08-14 07:49 AM
    Z30 seems to be a great size in only two days of use. I don't consider it a thick device at all. Z30 was a little thick. If non removable batteries are needed then I'm all for them as I was never a battery swapper.

Posted from my Z30
    Please check your post :-)
    You mention Z30 twice. Did you mean Z10 or Z3... ?

? ? ? Qchen ? ? ?
    11-08-14 08:53 AM
    Please check your post :-)
    You mention Z30 twice. Did you mean Z10 or Z3... ?

? ? ? Qchen ? ? ?
    Ah meant the Z10 was a little thick, and I was using an Incipio case on it too. Z30 is just a much nicer all around device. To bad they didn't rush it to market and make it the BB10 all touch launch device. Z10 was good, but definitely not a flagship.

Posted from my Z30
    11-09-14 09:24 AM
    BlackBerry Slider-img_20141023_141921.png

This make anyone happy...?

Finally I can scroll through pages in landscape (using the touch sensitive row of keys) without obscuring any content... :-?

11-12-14 03:59 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141023_141921.png 
Views:	1567 
Size:	199.4 KB 
ID:	313947

This make anyone happy...?

Finally I can scroll through pages in landscape (using the touch sensitive row of keys) without obscuring any content... :-?

If it sees the light of day. My impression is it will be concept device when shown and BlackBerry's history with concepts is pretty bad (see all PlayBook app "concepts" that never appeared. I really have no need for a mechanical mechanism or PKB that can break or develop stuttering keys. Don't have to worry about this with all touch.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 05:37 PM
    As a major Slider advocate, I'm still not too sure about that form.. for one it looks to be a very big screen, might be awkward to type with pkb extended, and I also think it looks kind of dumb having a top row of a qwerty keyboard visible. It seems like the "belt" would have been better suited here and full pkb pops out

BB for Life
    11-12-14 05:50 PM
    So that I am on the right page... this phone has a slide out key board? It's technically a slider?

Posted via CB10
    theblaze likes this.
    11-13-14 10:35 PM
    It's more of a fold-out or pop-out, there are other forums which show the patent and how it works

BB for Life
    11-14-14 09:50 AM
    I will need to have some hands-on with this thing. When I hear things like pop-out or fold-out I think snap-off. If they're making a hybrid device why not just stick with a regular slider like the 9810, but with BB10 and 2015 specs? 9810 was well built and sturdy.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, mastar97, asherN and 1 others like this.
    11-14-14 02:08 PM
    The new BB sounds really interesting. I'd love to see more news about as it's announced. Thanks for the tip.
    11-14-14 04:00 PM
    I will need to have some hands-on with this thing. When I hear things like pop-out or fold-out I think snap-off. If they're making a hybrid device why not just stick with a regular slider like the 9810, but with BB10 and 2015 specs? 9810 was well built and sturdy.

Posted via CB10
    I agree completely, but for some reason, the vast majority of CB feels that a 9810 slider would be DOA because it's an antiquated form factor.

This pop-out form seems interesting, but I also worry that it will have reliability issues. It seems that once the tray for the keyboard is opened it would be hollow beneath it, and pushing buttons on a KB that's got no middle support beneath it may cause issues.

But my hope is that BlackBerry would not be foolish enough to release a phone that bends or breaks hours after purchase, they are not in a position to deal with that kind of failure.

There must be some usability benefits that we have not clued into yet, that makes this new form a better choice than a traditional slider.

BB for Life
    RyanGermann likes this.
    11-14-14 04:04 PM
    Yea I'm definitely reserving judgment until I actually see the device.

I kind of think the number of lower end slider phones gave that form factor a bad rap. The 9810 felt very solid to me, as did my Motorola Photon and my old LG Rumor. But on the other hand the later versions of the Rumor (Touch, Reflex) felt kind of flimsy, as did the various Samsung sliders. There were tons of those, and I can see how anyone using one would lead a user to say "never again" to a slider phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 07:39 PM
71 123