06-18-14 01:22 PM
47 12
tools
    One more post on hardware - Nokia came out with a 41 MP camera. Useless really but who cares, the buzz it created embedded in my mind that Nokia (MS) phones have great cameras. The next time I buy, the future advertising that camera created will be in my head just like BlackBerry is known for its keyboards.
    06-12-14 09:13 AM
    I may be one of the few that looks at hardware first. I seriously considered the Z30 when it came out but the dim screen (273 nits I think) and camera were the deal breakers. I love the premium feel of the Z30 and the 5" size but was not enough to sway me.
    That was exactly my problem when looking at the Z30. I know I can do all the things other people could do on their phones with a Z30, but good specs just make the phone even more exciting (don't misunderstand me, the OS is already a big selling point for me).
    06-12-14 09:18 AM
    Massive specs to run all those great apps that don't exist? Or are those massive specs needed to run all the Android powered apps? It's got a quad-core 2.7Ghz processor to run all those superb BlackBerry App Generator apps. BlackBerry needs a lot more than just specs sadly, though specs would help -- slightly.
    Sorry, help me out here, what phone is that?
    06-12-14 09:24 AM
    That was exactly my problem when looking at the Z30. I know I can do all the things other people could do on their phones with a Z30, but good specs just make the phone even more exciting (don't misunderstand me, the OS is already a big selling point for me).
    Yup, I get your point. Camera and screen is important to me because I take a lot of pictures of my kids. Dim screen will not help me when I take and view photos outside. BlackBerry may not need to make a monster phone, but maybe just have one killer hardware feature people will remember.
    06-12-14 09:28 AM
    Yup, I get your point. Camera and screen is important to me because I take a lot of pictures of my kids. Dim screen will not help me when I take and view photos outside. BlackBerry may not need to make a monster phone, but maybe just have one killer hardware feature people will remember.
    One killer feature and the other specs on par with the other phones: I think that would be the best balance in terms of hardware.
    06-12-14 09:38 AM
    The manitoba looks to be a full touch beast

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    faithfuluser likes this.
    06-12-14 03:50 PM
    It would have been effective before Z10 was out, now it is still positive but won't have as much a splash effect anymore.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=828427

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-12-14 04:13 PM
    Right. BlackBerry should design and release a 20-inch smartphone with a 1 Gigawatt battery in the form of a cold fusion nuclear reactor. < /sarcasm overload...system shutting down...reboot impossible from current state...kernel panic >
    Listen, I completely agree with you and think that the spec race is ridiculous. But, the OP us absolutely right. The average consumer wants high end specs, whether it makes sense or not to have high end specs is irrelevant. If BlackBerry wants to start re taking market share they have to give consumers what they want. BlackBerry will need high end specs to convince people to buy BlackBerry again, and high end specs will bring a lot of positive media.

Posted via CB10
    DYLANHABKIRK and faithfuluser like this.
    06-12-14 06:17 PM
    Specs matter, which is why there is so much excitement when the idea of BlackBerry getting good specs is discussed. But then, there are always the low-spec apologists...

My car has pretty high specs compared to most. Two seats, over 300 horsepower. Do I need all that? Naaaa, not usually. But what about when that sleepy driver of the 18-wheeler starts drifting into my lane? Yep, then specs are highly appreciated.

Same with smartphones. I've had slowdowns and performance issues on my Z10 related to processing capacity when under heavy use of multiple apps. Who wants that isht? I'd rather have specs and not need specs than need them and not have them.

I've been wanting to buy a high-spec BlackBerry since day one.

Posted via Z-10 100-3 running10.3.0.296/442 hybrid
    faithfuluser likes this.
    06-12-14 06:49 PM
    Specs matter, which is why there is so much excitement when the idea of BlackBerry getting good specs is discussed. But then, there are always the low-spec apologists...

My car has pretty high specs compared to most. Two seats, over 300 horsepower. Do I need all that? Naaaa, not usually. But what about when that sleepy driver of the 18-wheeler starts drifting into my lane? Yep, then specs are highly appreciated.

Same with smartphones. I've had slowdowns and performance issues on my Z10 related to processing capacity when under heavy use of multiple apps. Who wants that isht? I'd rather have specs and not need specs than need them and not have them.
    Very well said. I can't agree more.

Posted using my Asus Transformer TF700T via the CrackBerry App
    06-13-14 09:34 PM
    I don't know what you mean. The Q30's specs are pretty amazing. It has:

A quad-core Snapdragon 800 (which is still a very top of the line processor. The 801 is hardly better.)

3GB of RAM (which most Android's don't even have).

A large battery that should last pretty long. Let's hope it's removable.

13MP camera, which is more than good for phone shots.

These specs are amazing no matter what.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    Q30 is keyboard phone and therefore only going to appeal to a small niche market.

I think OP is looking for a touch device like the rumored Manitoba or Z50 or whatever it's going to be called.

Posted using my Asus Transformer TF700T via the CrackBerry App
    06-13-14 09:41 PM
    I guess no Back to the Future fans here..

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 12:49 PM
    Thanks guys. I had actually read about some of those rumoured/upcoming phones. My only concern is that when they release the phones, the specs will no longer be top-notch like they are now.
    However, if the Z50 is ever released with at least those specs, I already know which phone I'll be going after.
    That is kind of how I feel too. By the time this is released it is going to give Android and iphone time to improve what may be in the works for them, to make it on par with BB, if the rumored specs are true. That is why I am not so in favor of releasing information on something this is too far down the road. Let everyone know when they are a month or two at releasing, at most. This way the other platforms won't be able to change what they already have in the works, and MAYBE for once BB can come out on top!
    faithfuluser likes this.
    06-14-14 01:00 PM
    I guess no Back to the Future fans here..

Posted via CB10
    Great Scott!

Posted from an ME173X
    06-14-14 06:45 PM
    That is kind of how I feel too. By the time this is released it is going to give Android and iphone time to improve what may be in the works for them, to make it on par with BB, if the rumored specs are true. That is why I am not so in favor of releasing information on something this is too far down the road. Let everyone know when they are a month or two at releasing, at most. This way the other platforms won't be able to change what they already have in the works, and MAYBE for once BB can come out on top!
    Maybe, but waiting so long to announce the device is a mistake in my view. All the people who have contracts expiring before the announcement might just look at other platforms if they don't see anything from BlackBerry on the horizon.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-15-14 07:22 AM
    HTC One failed partly due to 4 MP camera. M8 sales are lagging as well because for some unknown reason HTC decided to stick with 4 MP. So yeah, hardware can influence sales. In HTC's case, the camera resolution outweighed the highly praised build quality of the HTC One.
    Yes Hardware can influence sales, unfortunately. Its a industry fabrication by many Android Manufacturers that created this false sense that you must buy a high end spec'ed device. Because they are no longer innovating via the Android OS.

This is why the Z30 got away and ended up being the best smart phone in the world, BB10 is Innovation, running on moderate hardware. As for sales? Crap marketing etc., we all know what happened.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 05:53 PM
    Yes Hardware can influence sales, unfortunately. Its a industry fabrication by many Android Manufacturers that created this false sense that you must buy a high end spec'ed device. Because they are no longer innovating via the Android OS.
    So you would suggest that BlackBerry continue to release devices with specs that don't match up with the competition, but spend money on a marketing campaign that essentially is designed to convince the market these specs are really good enough?

This is why the Z30 got away and ended up being the best smart phone in the world
    Best in the world? Come on!

As for sales? Crap marketing etc., we all know what happened.
    So it's all marketing? North else?

06-15-14 06:02 PM
    1.Stay relevant

2. Stay profitable

3.Improve the devices designs : looks and feeling

4 . increase incentives for developers and developer numbers.

5. Finally build your super devices

BlackBerry...Get it done!!!

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino and faithfuluser like this.
    06-16-14 08:44 AM
    I think the only reason I'm kind of disappointed with the Z30 is because of the screen. Everything else would have been more or less perfect, but they had to keep a "bad" screen. It's that logic that I don't understand with BlackBerry (the "who cares about specs" logic) and other users: sure, for us specs aren't too important (it's the OS that counts), but that's not how you sell phones and stay profitable. Unfortunately, the market decides what's good, so just give them what they want (specs) and add a BlackBerry touch to the package.
    06-18-14 09:18 AM
    I think the only reason I'm kind of disappointed with the Z30 is because of the screen. Everything else would have been more or less perfect, but they had to keep a "bad" screen. It's that logic that I don't understand with BlackBerry (the "who cares about specs" logic) and other users: sure, for us specs aren't too important (it's the OS that counts), but that's not how you sell phones and stay profitable. Unfortunately, the market decides what's good, so just give them what they want (specs) and add a BlackBerry touch to the package.
    Unfortunately, the Z30 resolution was picked before BlackBerry 10 even came out. They really should have looked at the market before pumping another one out, but it can be understood too. Frankly, all the first 4 devices were betas. The next generation device will be worth the press, we just have to stick it out until then.

Posted via CB10
    meltedice likes this.
    06-18-14 09:27 AM
    they need to build an iPhone sized pocket rocket

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 09:58 AM
    they need to build an iPhone sized pocket rocket

Posted via CB10
    Yes they do.

I'd go a step further and say they need two high end touch devices. One about the size of the current iPhone or Z10, and one a bit bigger the size of the GS or Z30. Both should have monster specs.

06-18-14 01:22 PM
47 12