07-14-14 04:25 PM
28 12
tools
    sooooo.........

To actually answer the question (instead of bickering about how the device will be used).

It's probably quite simply that LCD screens are easier than OLED screens to source and produce in a 1440p 4.5" square design. OLED screens may come with a future release, but I'm guessing they're simply not being produced yet (or not being produced in sufficient quantity or quality).

Sometimes design choices fall back to component availability. I suggest that's the case here - especially with such a unique screen.
    I'm wondering how expensive this screen is.... Is it possible it is an off the shelf screen that some other devices maybe using? Most everything I think of has a more rectangular type screen these days. Maybe some type of medical equipment or industrial production equipment??? If it is totally a custom screen for BlackBerry, it is going to be both an expensive screen and a possible cause for production delays IF sales are better than expected.
    07-11-14 10:57 AM
    I must say I actually prefer the look of the LCD screens compared to the LED ones. I got a Z10 shortly after it launched and used it for about 10 months and switched to the Q10 because of the battery life and I got use to the Q10 screen but I recently picked up another Z10 and I really feel that the screen on it looks so much better than the Q10. The same way black looks bad on the Z10 is the same way white looks rubbish on the Q10.I feel that the colours on the Q10 are often too vibrant for my liking. In terms of battery life, I doubt it will be an issue considering that the Passport will be packing the biggest battery a BlackBerry has ever had.
    07-14-14 03:53 PM
    Beta testing demonstrated conclusively that Flappy Bird and Angry Birds showed up more clearly on LCD screens.

It seems as though the Passport will have an LCD screen based on the leaked hardware. Does anyone know why they decided to go with LCD over LED? I remember my Z10 drove me nuts because that LCD screen ate my battery making the device not usable for me daily. Also, the screen was not as nice as my LED Q10 or Z30. Why did they decide to use LCD?

Cheers!
    Europolska00
    07-14-14 04:25 PM
28 12