06-17-10 08:26 PM
27 12
tools
    BlackBerry Onyx Delta; a Refreshed Bold 9700? - BlackBerry Leaks - Blackberry news, software, videos, info, reviews, previews

BB Leaks tweeted this about 20 minutes ago.

BlackBerry Onyx Delta; a Refreshed Bold 9700?

Posted by LouiV 6/02/2010 at 6:47 PM

We've been hearing a lot of chatter from our sources regarding what is being called the BlackBerry Onyx Delta. While it is unusual for RIM to re-use a codename from a previous device, it kind of makes sense to us why they might in this case. When the 9700a was first outed through a UAProf document, many people were led to believe this was the rumored Slider, which we now know is the 9800. However, we've learned that the 9700a may be a completely different device.

We're told that the 9700a is going to be a refreshed Bold 9700 with upgraded hardware and features. The 9700a will supposedly sport:
    5MP camera
    512 MB RAM
    BlackBerry OS 6.0
    New webkit browser
    You're probably as confused as we are for the reasoning behind refreshing the Bold 9700. However, we think it may be likely to match the recently released CDMA Verizon/Sprint Bold 9650, which has 512MB RAM. RIM is also starting to move their devices into the 5MP camera direction, as we see with the Bold Slider 9800 and the Clamshell 9670. We're not sure why the Bold 9650 didn't include a 5MP camera, but we're certain the 9700a is to be a network neutrality device, specifically bound for AT&T like the original 9700.

Much is still unknown on the Onyx Delta, and while things point to it being the 9700a, we still can't be sure until we receive more information. We are certain, however, that the Onyx Delta is something of importance and secrecy to RIM and we would welcome it if it is truly an upgraded Bold 9700.

If the Onyx Delta is going to be a refreshed Bold 9700, would you upgrade?
    06-02-10 06:08 PM
    The term Delta means change so linguistically it would make sense if they're only making a small change to the Onyx 9700. Just a thought. As I'm running an 8900, which works just fine for me, I don't know that I'd upgrade. 9800 maybe. Magnum/Dakota most likely.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 06:29 PM
    They should just do it quietly and not even mention it, so it is just the new 9700. This would be worse than the Tour 2 update, IMO, if it gets it's own release as a new model.
    06-02-10 09:21 PM
    Damn that would annoy me as a Bold 9700 user. I understand that there will always be a better model but to rerelease an existing model with the same name, etc? That's a big flip of the bird if I ever saw one

06-03-10 12:41 AM
    Damn that would annoy me as a Bold 9700 user. I understand that there will always be a better model but to rerelease an existing model with the same name, etc? That's a big flip of the bird if I ever saw one. At least change the name =(

06-03-10 12:43 AM
    This information pisses me off! I paid almost full price for this phone to be obsolete a mere few months after it was released? My Pearl lasted me a lot longer. I feel as if I've been misled by RIM. The Bold line is supposed to be the top of the line for RIM, but this Bold 9700 apparently is not.
    06-04-10 05:50 PM
    That would really frustrate me as a Sprint user.
    We finally get a device that's equal to the 9700 (IMO - memory vs battery life, etc) and so RIM releases a device with all the + of the 9700 and the 9650, and I'm sure Sprint won't get it oh well.
    That's my whiney comment for today
    06-04-10 07:21 PM
    This information pisses me off! I paid almost full price for this phone to be obsolete a mere few months after it was released? My Pearl lasted me a lot longer. I feel as if I've been misled by RIM. The Bold line is supposed to be the top of the line for RIM, but this Bold 9700 apparently is not.

Your 9700 isn't obsolete, it is still just as good as when you bought it, there are just newer devices on the way that's all.
    06-05-10 06:12 AM

Your 9700 isn't obsolete, it is still just as good as when you bought it, there are just newer devices on the way that's all.
    It's one thing to be bettered by a different devise line. I expect the 9800 to be better than the 9700, but to have a 97xx be released so soon after the 9700 floors me. This is a fast turnaround on a refresh. Even the dreaded Tour lasted longer than the 9700.
    06-07-10 08:51 AM
    We don't know when it is due out, given the lack of info we have had so far, the odds are that this device is intended to be in the shops before the end of the year holiday period and that would mean it was showing up a year after the 9700 so not at all too fast for an update at all.
    06-07-10 02:11 PM
    this new 9700 is the phone im waiting for

peace
    06-09-10 02:11 AM
    It would be the best phone if it has the keyboard of the 9000
    06-09-10 02:28 AM
    As someone who bought a Bold 9000 at launch, for $600 PLUS contract, I have to say, don't talk about price... as someone noted above a year between upgraded models is normal, and it's not like your phone is going to brick up just because of it. That said, I'm waiting for the 9800.
    06-09-10 07:54 AM
    Will wait for Dakota.
    06-09-10 08:57 AM
    Will wait for Dakota.
    me too. That or a dual core processor android phone. Which ever comes first to tmo.
    06-11-10 01:57 AM
    RIM if your listening build this phone!! make it at least the size of the 9650. I've given up hope on an updated 9000 size phone. The 9700 is ok, just too small for me.
    06-13-10 08:36 AM
    By the time this refresh comes out it will have been about a year since the original 9700 come out. They have to refresh the phone to keep the bold as the top of the line. Mobile tech is moving to fast to sit on device specs for over a year.

The 9700 is still a great device and it will be even better with more memory and a better camera.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-13-10 11:06 AM
    Any additional information on this? Im thinking of getting a 9700 but dont want to do it if the refreshed model is coming out soon.
    06-15-10 12:20 PM
    All of these incrimental upgrades are STUPID!

RIM wastes tons of resources and time doing minor tweaks to their already outdated phones, resulting in a situation where Blackberry consumers will always feel bad about buying from RIM since there will be a better version 6 months later. Sticking to a strict 1 year upgrade cycle will reduce buyer's remorse, and result in more meaningful updates without flooding the market with confusing model numbers.
    06-16-10 04:17 AM

RIM wastes tons of resources and time doing minor tweaks to their already outdated phones, resulting in a situation where Blackberry consumers will always feel bad about buying from RIM since there will be a better version 6 months later. Sticking to a strict 1 year upgrade cycle will reduce buyer's remorse, and result in more meaningful updates without flooding the market with confusing model numbers.
    Very true. I don't think anyone begrudges a 1 year upgrade cycle. But make it meaningful. The follow up to the 9700 should have at least 512 memory but more like 1 GB unless RIM is going to open up the internal storage memory for apps. After that it should have a better camera (lens as well as mega pixel) wireless N, and open GL support. Since it is GSM I don't think LTE support makes sense but the next iteration after the 9650 aimed for VZW had better be 4G.

Last edited by The_Engine; 06-16-10 at 06:52 AM.
    06-16-10 06:50 AM

Then why are you complaining? This upgrade isn't even out yet, so it very likely may be a year (OR MORE) upgrade cycle. And twice the memory is more than a minor tweak.
    06-16-10 07:59 AM
    Is the 9700a going to have a touchscreen? This blog post seems to think so.

Here's What RIM's BlackBerry Roadmap Looks Like
    06-16-10 09:06 PM
    Is the 9700a going to have a touchscreen? This blog post seems to think so.

Here's What RIM's BlackBerry Roadmap Looks Like
    WOW! thanks for the great post. it is very much appreciated
    06-17-10 02:05 AM
    the 9900 looks great, but i really wish they would push the processor to 1 gigahertz.
    06-17-10 02:07 AM
    WOW! thanks for the great post. it is very much appreciated
    Haha, thank ME for finding it.
    06-17-10 05:54 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD