The BlackBerry Ontario.

It's the code name for a BlackBerry device which has never seen the light of day. Not a single leaked image on the internet, and very few accurate details other than pure speculation. The sad thing is, the Ontario never will see the light of day. It was scrapped some years ago now and relegated to the archives of BlackBerry's labs.

The Ontario was the sequel to the BlackBerry Z30. Not only a visual redesign, but a significant horsepower upgrade designed to be competitive with the likes of the iPhone and flagship Android devices.

I was one of the lucky few to see it - or more accurately, a series of detailed marketing brochures with gorgeous renders and specifications.

It was in a closed door meeting with BlackBerry representatives in my former job. I was told that they wanted to show me something which no-one else in the country outside of their senior management had seen. I was handed an iPad with a PDF open on the screen.

"Introducing… Ontario" it read.

A gorgeous full-length image graced the right side of the brochure, shot from an angle with a glint of rendered light reflecting off the bevelled aluminium base of the phone. It was a beautiful design. The base was an evolution of the Z30 design – but the sculpted aluminium bezel curved and swept up towards the sides and become part of the protective perimeter surrounding the device.

The second page showed a close-up of the back, featuring a dimpled soft-touch backing and a camera which more closely resembled the one found on the modern day Priv. The second page also revealed the specifications of the device, which were for the time, quite cutting edge. A powerful quad core cpu + multi core GPU, 3GB ram, massive battery – all mediocre these days, but when the Ontario was due for release, this was second to none. Of course, it was running BlackBerry 10, and a new version of it at that. I had never been more excited about a device and I couldn’t believe I had seen pictures and specs of it.

The very next week I received a call from the BlackBerry representative. He told me the Ontario was on hold. Later that month I received confirmation the device was cancelled.

I still have a sketch of the phone sitting in a folder of all my old work things, specs scrawled on the side of the paper.

It was the killer device which never was. I still wonder though, would anything have been different if BlackBerry released it? Maybe, maybe not, but I’ll always remember my first glimpse of a phone that never was.
    Last edited by FrostHill; 12-18-16 at 11:58 PM.
    gugomat, Uzi and BigBadWulf like this.
    12-18-16 10:53 PM
    Same SoC and memory configuration as the Passport.
    12-18-16 10:57 PM
    Same SoC and memory configuration as the Passport.
    The 8974 was under consideration even before Windermere and Ontario; it might be in this thing: /developers-lounge-f9/blackberry-z30-prototype-945688/

Funny enough, Verizon's carrier configs not only include the STO100-1, but also the SQW100-2. Now that would have been something.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-18-16 11:27 PM
    The 8974 was under consideration even before Windermere and Ontario; it might be in this thing: /developers-lounge-f9/blackberry-z30-prototype-945688/

Funny enough, Verizon's carrier configs not only include the STO100-1, but also the SQW100-2. Now that would have been something.
    And you don't know what happened to the prototipe shown in that thread? It raised My curiosity, now that OS10 is like a cancer patient in its Last days it would be cool to see something different

Posted via CB10
    01-09-17 08:00 PM
    I like how they called the Z30 upgrade the 'Ontario' and the Z30 downgrade the 'Manitoba' (became the Leap IIRC).

Kind of a subtle burn.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-09-17 08:47 PM
    ... I was handed an iPad with a PDF open on the screen. ...
    Ouch... I guess this was after BlackBerry had discontinued the PlayBook.

Any chance you can share your sketch of the Ontario?
    01-10-17 06:20 AM
    If the released it BlackBerry would be in a worse position now. I love bb10, fantastic os but the general population was never going to catch on. It wasn't a hardwear problem it was a lack of apps. There is a lot of expenses incurred when launching a phone that is not going to sell well. Better to save the money and put it into the android line up
    01-19-17 06:51 PM
    The BlackBerry Ontario - a retrospective-1494739261215.jpg

Well look what show up
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-14-17 12:21 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1494739261215.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	423159

Well look what show up
    Ships to Burlington?
    Uzi likes this.
    05-14-17 12:27 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1494739261215.jpg 
Views:	679 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	423159

Well look what show up
    Wow. I'd love to spend some time with that. Obviously that would have further ruined BlackBerry, but id love to have seen it happen.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-17 12:47 AM
    Would be much appreciated if there's more information on this device . Wouldn't mind to buy the "not for sale" ones..
    05-19-17 01:27 AM
    Would be much appreciated if there's more information on this device . Wouldn't mind to buy the "not for sale" ones..
    You and me both, partner. That's likely a one of a kind, though. I'd love to see more details. Just for nostalgia.

Posted via CB10
    05-19-17 02:21 AM
    You and me both, partner. That's likely a one of a kind, though. I'd love to see more details. Just for nostalgia.

Posted via CB10
    Indeed indeed. I was moved on the fact BB10 is dead and Z30 had no successor. The recent showcase of Ontario is giving me nostalgia perhaps false hope....

I have recently moved back to 9982 from Z30. The market doesn't have anything I desire apart from premium VKB BB10.

Quite sad lol

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 likes this.
    05-19-17 12:44 PM