07-25-14 12:09 PM
317 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Where's my Z50 ?

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    06-13-14 05:32 PM
    Maybe they have special mobile computing capabilities that require a huge amount of RAM?

Or maybe all this is complete BS. :P

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    I'm gonna go with complete BS..... Most gaming rigs now-a-days aren't even using 8 GB of RAM. Who give's their device 'Manitoba' as a project name? It's hard to take anything they do now serious though.
    06-13-14 05:41 PM
    What's the jet?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 05:56 PM
    Because the Z30 going by specs, is some 3 generations old already, and wasn't a true flagship at launch?
    Then what would you consider their flagship device once the Z30 was launched?
    06-13-14 06:47 PM
    I'm gonna go with complete BS..... Most gaming rigs now-a-days aren't even using 8 GB of RAM. Who give's their device 'Manitoba' as a project name? It's hard to take anything they do now serious though.
    Same reason one of them was named "Ontario"? It's a Canadian company, why can't they name their devices after CANADIAN provinces?

Posted via CB10
    Harborcoat and CerveloJohn like this.
    06-13-14 06:55 PM
    Not sure what kind of gamer you are. But PC gaming most are running min 16gb. I run 32gb in my rig.. 8gb is peanuts in a PC now
    06-13-14 07:13 PM
    But you don't have a problem with "Windemere"?
    06-13-14 08:04 PM
    Maybe the 8 gig ram has something to do with running multiple Android apps in completely sandboxed VMs. Maybe it's a security feature that has been demanded by some of their big enterprise customers to add the kind of security that enterprises want in Android but Android devices can't deliver natively because they are, after all, "just" android devices.
    06-13-14 08:19 PM
    While you're at it, might as well mention 1TB Memory and 4G Video RAM
    06-13-14 09:21 PM
    I'm impressed with these specs if this turns out to be true. The 8gb RAM seems a little surprising. Makes me wonder how true the other specs are.

Posted using my Asus Transformer TF700T via the CrackBerry App
    06-13-14 09:27 PM
    So that was in the Black Box!

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    Did they ever really tell us what was in the black box? Haha

Posted via CB10
    06-13-14 09:54 PM
    Was the Jet the Z3?
    06-13-14 11:56 PM
    Then what would you consider their flagship device once the Z30 was launched?
    What I said was a relative statement.
    Obviously the Z30 is BlackBerry's flagship, when it comes down to their own portfolio and when we look at BlackBerry in an isolated way.

But compared to the competition, the Z30 wasn't even close to a flagship device.
    When we factor in other devices, their capabilities and their ecosystem, it becomes painfully clear that the Z30 was a midrange device at launch.
    An overpriced midrange device.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 06:43 AM
    My opinion.

Apple's flagship device is 5S.
    Samsung's flagship device is Samsung S5.
    BlackBerry's flagship device is Z30.
    Sony's flagship device is Z2.
    And so on....

These are manufacturers flagship devices.

For Platforms,

iOs - iPhone 5S
    Android - could be Samsung S5 or Z2 or M2
    BB10 - Z30

You can't actually compare between different platforms flagship devices due to optimisation and what's the best specs on THAT platform.
    As far as we knew, IF Z30 could be loaded with KitKat, it could be the slowest android device in that platform.
    But my friends are amazed with my phone's speed when compared to their Galaxy and iPhones because the specs are enough for BB10.
    But it wouldn't hurt to slam a 4gb RAM into the purported Z50 just for the sake of spec war.

Posted via my Astro Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3175
    06-14-14 07:27 AM
    My opinion.

Apple's flagship device is 5S.
    Samsung's flagship device is Samsung S5.
    BlackBerry's flagship device is Z30.
    Sony's flagship device is Z2.
    And so on....

These are manufacturers flagship devices.

For Platforms,

iOs - iPhone 5S
    Android - could be Samsung S5 or Z2 or M2
    BB10 - Z30

You can't actually compare between different platforms flagship devices due to optimisation and what's the best specs on THAT platform.
    As far as we knew, IF Z30 could be loaded with KitKat, it could be the slowest android device in that platform.
    But my friends are amazed with my phone's speed when compared to their Galaxy and iPhones because the specs are enough for BB10.
    But it wouldn't hurt to slam a 4gb RAM into the purported Z50 just for the sake of spec war.

Samsung is not android. It is but one of the many skinned android phones available (LG, HTC, Motorola to name a few). The nexus 5 (currently manufactured by LG) is android.

I don't know what Galaxy devices your friends owned. I have owned an S3 and I now use a Note 3 and both are fast. I have never experienced any lag especially on my Note 3 which comes with 3 gigs of ram. The notion that Android lags (which hasn't been the case since Android 4.0) is a fallacy, similar to what I hear people say about BBRY (these people are referring to the legacy OS which doesn't compare to BB10).
    06-14-14 08:43 AM
    Samsung is not android. It is but one of the many skinned android phones available (LG, HTC, Motorola to name a few). The nexus 5 (currently manufactured by LG) is android.

I don't know what Galaxy devices your friends owned. I have owned an S3 and I now use a Note 3 and both are fast. I have never experienced any lag especially on my Note 3 which comes with 3 gigs of ram. The notion that Android lags (which hasn't been the case since Android 4.0) is a fallacy, similar to what I hear people say about BBRY (these people are referring to the legacy OS which doesn't compare to BB10).
    Neither did I mention Samsung IS android.
    But we're talking about flagship devices.
    In android world, Samsung S5 or Sony Z2 could be described as flagship device FOR android.

My colleagues are mainly using Samsung S4 or iPhone 5s.
    Never did I mention their galaxys lags.
    What I mentioned, is that they saw how fast I opened up my apps, replying messages or doing other things, and they are amazed at the quick response and feedback from my phone.

My post that you quoted is about I'm saying how people compared different devices with different platforms and how it is unfair to say which is flagship to one another when the device and platforms are completely different.

06-14-14 09:17 AM
    That roadmap seems to be fake... Z30 was released last year, wasn't it? But the roadmap says Q1.

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    06-14-14 09:37 AM
    Its such a pleasure reading all these wishful comments. We will know once this device is released. Sigh
    06-14-14 10:17 AM
    Over at BerryFlow, they posted the following specs:

Quad-Core
    8GB RAM
    (it follows that the CPU a 64-bit ARM chip has to be)
    5 inch Full Touch
    3300MA Battery
    OS10.3.1 *likely to receive latter OS update*
    OpenGL 3?

Along with the following road map:

Attachment 277700

I don't know about the 8 gigs as that seems a bit of overkill.

Updated: 64-Bit BlackBerry All Touch Manitoba Specifications -
    I would say that at 8 GB of Ram...Blackberry would be able to at least attempt to claim the fastest most powerful processor in the smartphone market
    06-14-14 10:17 AM
    So reading the story on crackberry "The Beta is Over"

The comments read to me like Chen is saying, there will be two amazing devices this year and they are both Qwerty.

Does that mean no manitoba until next year?
    BlackBerry my wallet is waiting for it

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 12:01 PM
    So reading the story on crackberry "The Beta is Over"

The comments read to me like Chen is saying, there will be two amazing devices this year and they are both Qwerty.

Does that mean no manitoba until next year?
    BlackBerry my wallet is waiting for it

Posted via CB10
    That's the way I've understood it. We are getting the Classic and Windermere. No new touch device in 2014.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    06-14-14 04:20 PM
    That's the way I've understood it. We are getting the Classic and Windermere. No new touch device in 2014.

Which would basically mean that they've decided to withdraw from the consumer market, at least in the US. If they only release two QWERTY handsets this year, something that a majority of consumers have resoundingly rejected in recent years, then they have no shot at maintaining their current user base, much less making any gains in that market.
    06-14-14 04:32 PM
    Which would basically mean that they've decided to withdraw from the consumer market, at least in the US. If they only release two QWERTY handsets this year, something that a majority of consumers have resoundingly rejected in recent years, then they have no shot at maintaining their current user base, much less making any gains in that market.
    I totally agree. And not just in the US. Keyboards are just a small niche everywhere.

I think that Chen's decision to focus on keyboards is insanity. If people wanted keyboards BlackBerry wouldn't be in trouble in the first place.

Last edited by crazigee; 06-14-14 at 08:29 PM.
    kdklein likes this.
    06-14-14 04:36 PM
    If people wanted keyboards BlackBerry wouldn't be in trouble in the first place.

1000% Agree!

Posted via CB10
    06-14-14 05:49 PM
    What's the jet?

Posted via CB10
    Was the Jet the Z3?
    Pretty sure the Jet = Z3

If this roadmap is to believed though, this is just another write off year for anyone not on the BlackBerry platform looking to switch back. Unfortunate.
    06-14-14 07:34 PM
317 ... 56789 ...