So, it seems pretty probable that ATT will be getting the Onyx. There is another rumored device, the Driftwood, which apparently is the UMA enabled version of the Onyx, which is supposed to hit T-mobile. Regardless of what it is going to be called, when on earth is Tmo getting a 3g blackberry? I first got wind of a possible release date from BGR back on May 11th:

BlackBerry Driftwood/Onyx hitting T-Mobile USA in September : Boy Genius Report

But now it seems that all hopes for a September Tmo Onyx/Driftwood/wutever are off. Or it would at least seem so due to the complete dearth of references to it. Since this BGR report, all rumors have focused around ATT and the Onyx.

I am desperate for news. I have an 8320 and specifically did not upgrade to the 8900 bc of the BGR report. I have heard nothing about the driftwood from crackberry. Again, only about ATT getting the Onyx.

Does anybody know anything!? My freaking trackball doesn't work anymore and EDGE is seriously getting me down!
    Last edited by Brnkvc; 08-04-09 at 12:06 PM. Reason: need to ad link
    08-04-09 12:04 PM
    So, it seems pretty probable that ATT will be getting the Onyx. There is another rumored device, the Driftwood, which apparently is the UMA enabled version of the Onyx, which is supposed to hit T-mobile. Regardless of what it is going to be called, when on earth is Tmo getting a 3g blackberry? I first got wind of a possible release date from BGR back on May 11th:

BlackBerry Driftwood/Onyx hitting T-Mobile USA in September : Boy Genius Report

But now it seems that all hopes for a September Tmo Onyx/Driftwood/wutever are off. Or it would at least seem so due to the complete dearth of references to it. Since this BGR report, all rumors have focused around ATT and the Onyx.

I am desperate for news. I have an 8320 and specifically did not upgrade to the 8900 bc of the BGR report. I have heard nothing about the driftwood from crackberry. Again, only about ATT getting the Onyx.

Does anybody know anything!? My freaking trackball doesn't work anymore and EDGE is seriously getting me down!
    A LOT of us are in the same boat as you, but I think all we are going to hear right now is...."be patient"....I too am stuck with my 8320 and did not upgrade to the 8900 because of the Driftwood rumors, so let's keep our fingers crossed.
    08-04-09 12:21 PM
    Well keep in mind that the Onyx is the big device because it will be going to everybody but T-Mobile US as far as GSM carriers go. The Onyx has 2100 which is used in Europe and Asia. But I want to see some news on the Driftwood if it will be launching next month.
    08-04-09 01:03 PM
    wow... carbon-fiberesque back door. That sounds great
    08-05-09 07:55 AM
    Maybe RIM is keeping phones closer to the vest these days so everyone gets impatient enough to buy phones on the current market.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 10:10 AM
    I am too waiting for the Onyx/Driftwood but I am very patient because I love my Bold so I dnt really mind waiting...
    08-08-09 10:39 AM
    i thought driftwood and onyx were the same thing :S im cofused now !

08-08-09 09:34 PM
    I also heard the Driftwood may be getting the trackpad. I'm waiting for it to come out before I choose to upgrade, but I reaaaaaaally don't want a trackpad if that's the case I suppose I'll just get the 8900
    08-08-09 10:09 PM

They are the same phone, in the way that the 8320, 8310, etc are the same phone. Both Blackberry curves with the same screen, processor, look, etc, but some have wifi, some have 3g, and one has UMA. Its the same thing with the driftwood and the onyx. I am not expert in blackberry nomenclature, but just as an example, the driftwood would be something like 9730, whereas onyx would 9710.

Got it?
    08-10-09 04:05 PM
    I have a 8320 too and I am ready for a new phone. I love my curve but i want more memory where i can download more applications and more themes. I hate deleting certain applications or themes just to keep my phone from crashing. I cant wait for the new phones.
    08-13-09 12:46 PM
    bgr needs to get on it and get more updates
    08-13-09 01:47 PM

I agree....all these variations are really confusion, can't there just be one phone that does everything? eeeh
    08-17-09 10:57 PM
    how about releasing the phone to all systems at once!
    08-17-09 11:56 PM
    ^ Good Thinkin
    08-18-09 01:49 AM
    sounds amazing hopefully it'l come out in the UK when my contract for my 8900 ends =D
    08-18-09 05:46 AM
    A phone on all systems at once? Haha, that would destroy Blackberry. It's ALL about marketing and competition.
    08-18-09 02:20 PM
    I've heard about the mythical Driftwood and am intrigued. Unlike some of you on this thread I recently upgraded to the 8900 so I'll have to come up with the entire cost of the Driftwood when/if it's released for T-Mobile.

I doubt the so-claimed Boy Genius will release much more info about the Driftwood coming to T-Mobile since he's a shamelessly admitted AT&T fanboy. Despite him being such a shameless AT&T/Apple fanboy and a condescending ***** he does usually have good intel on unannounced devices...

That all being said, are there any other reliable sources who have [independent] info on this device?
    08-20-09 09:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD