03-15-12 02:18 PM
42 12
tools
    BlackBerry Colt May Be Dual-Core After All
    By Joe Arico | Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:48 pm
    Research in Motion's first QNX-based phone may have better specs than earlier rumors indicated, which may make it a legitimate contender against high-powered devices like the iPhone and Droid Bionic.

The BlackBerry Colt could feature a dual-core processor, touch screen-only controls and a 3.7-inch screen or larger, according to website CrackBerry. The Colt was expected to be released in early 2012, but new reports say the device could launch by the end of the year. RIM is betting on the Colt and other QNX-based phones to be the company's remedy for poor sales and dwindling market share.

CrackBerry's report contradicts what was initially reported about the BlackBerry Colt. Analysts earlier this month expressed disappointment when reports speculated the device would have only a single-core processor and follow the design of the BlackBerry 9900. While the QNX operating system may be an upgrade from the current BlackBerry 7, it likely will have to come packaged with more impressive hardware to make up lost ground for RIM.

Speculation about the BlackBerry Colt is in line with what RIM co-CEO Mike Lazaridis promised at the beginning of the year. Lazaridis said QNX "super-phones" would be multi-core devices that would usher in the next ten years of BlackBerry. A phone with the specs described in CrackBerry's report may be legitimate competition for Motorola's Droid Bionic and Apple's iPhone 5.

If RIM launches the Colt by the end of the year, it will join Apple's new iPhone and other devices in what is already bound to be a competitive holiday season. The company may want to take advantage of the holiday shopping rush to give its device a kick start and potentially spread positive word of mouth going into the new year.

However, RIM has a history of rushing its devices. The company's release of its PlayBook tablet computer received negative reviews that called the product "half-baked," and the device's sales have never rebounded. RIM can't rush the BlackBerry Colt because the company can't afford for the device to fail.

RIM is betting all its chips on the Colt and its other QNX phones to lead the charge in reestablishing BlackBerry as a worthy option in the smartphone market. If these newest rumors about the device turn out to be true, the company's odds may be better than originally expected.

BlackBerry Colt May Be Dual-Core After All - Mobiledia
    six6xis likes this.
    08-22-11 01:04 PM
    Which CrackBerry report are they referencing?
    08-22-11 01:33 PM
    Which CrackBerry report are they referencing?
    ...I couldn't find it either...
    08-23-11 08:31 AM
    ...I couldn't find it either...
    http://crackberry.com/first-qnx-blac...een-blackberry

"Yes, the BlackBerry "Colt" will be a full touchscreen BlackBerry (no trackpad like the Torch 9850/9860) and it will be running on a dual-core hardware platform, like its tablet-sized older brother the BlackBerry PlayBook"
    08-23-11 09:28 AM
    I'm guessing that hardware-wise it will be virtually identical to the PlayBook, but with 3G and a smaller screen.
    08-23-11 10:23 AM
    It needs to have 3D HD capability (the market is fierce). It keeps being touted as a superphone which tells me it has to be able to do what every other phone out there does (irregardless of whether we think its neccessary or not). It has to have 4G capability as well. Whatever the iphone 5 throws out it has to match/beat.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-26-11 12:13 PM
    It needs to have 3D HD capability (the market is fierce). It keeps being touted as a superphone which tells me it has to be able to do what every other phone out there does (irregardless of whether we think its neccessary or not). It has to have 4G capability as well. Whatever the iphone 5 throws out it has to match/beat.

Come on guys. If it has everything everyone could ever want, it would be the size of a friggin Prius (and would need a Prius size battery too!).

The "it's gotta have" crowd is out of control. Lets see...

• 3D
    • 4.3" Super AMOLED
    • 4G (both LTE and GSM)
    • Quad core
    • Keyboard, wait, no keyboard, wait, slider, naw, horizontal slider...
    • 8 GB internal ram
    • 64 GB SD card
    • 802.11b/g/n
    • Hotspot
    • NFC
    • GPS
    • Compass
    • HDMI
    • 12MP AF front, and 8MP rear camera
    • Xenon flash
    • Trackpad
    • QNX with Android, BBOS, Windows Phone 7, and IOS5, PlayStation, and Xbox emulators
    • POP, IMAP, ActiveSync, BES, BIS
    • Browser with Flash, Silverlight, HTML5 media, unlimited tabs

Unless it has all of that, they might as well give up because no one will buy it.
    six6xis likes this.
    08-26-11 04:36 PM
    Well if it has all this then I would definitely call it a "Super" phone.

If it's just going to match the other phones already out then I would just call it one among many.

All I want is good browsing and android app player and good battery (on top of all the other BB goodies already :P)

Australia has jack all app developers

Come on guys. If it has everything everyone could ever want, it would be the size of a friggin Prius (and would need a Prius size battery too!).

• 3D
    • 4.3" Super AMOLED
    • 4G (both LTE and GSM)
    • Quad core
    • 8 GB internal ram
    • 64 GB SD card
    • 802.11b/g/n
    • Hotspot
    • NFC
    • GPS
    • Compass
    • HDMI
    • Xenon flash
    • Trackpad
    • QNX with Android, BBOS, Windows Phone 7, and IOS5, PlayStation, and Xbox emulators

Unless it has all of that, they might as well give up because no one will buy it.
    08-26-11 07:59 PM

• 3D
    • 4.3" Super AMOLED
    • 4G (both LTE and GSM)
    • Quad core
    • 8 GB internal ram
    • 64 GB SD card
    • 802.11b/g/n
    • Hotspot
    • NFC
    • GPS
    • Compass
    • HDMI
    • Xenon flash
    • Trackpad

I'll preorder on of those thanks! Sounds awesome

You are right about people saying it has to have everything. I think they are right about it needing to have to have a lot but it can't have everything. It will be an awesome phone. I think it will become RIM's next flagship phone. Atleast till a QNX Bold comes out. Then they might have 2 flagship devices. One full screen one touchscreen + keyboard combo then have some cheaper versions. I think they may get rid of the slider, even though there is a bit of a demand for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-11 04:09 AM

• 3D
    • 4.3" Super AMOLED
    • 4G (both LTE and GSM)
    • Quad core
    • 8 GB internal ram
    • 64 GB SD card
    • 802.11b/g/n
    • Hotspot
    • NFC
    • GPS
    • Compass
    • HDMI
    • Xenon flash
    • Trackpad

You left out that the battery must last at least 3 days between recharges under heavy use. Or maybe the batteries would recharge from the envious vibrations that emanate from those around you.
    08-27-11 09:45 AM
    i'm sorry but this phone needs to be 4G. Lets talk marketing and how you need to differentiate your product. What differentiates this new phone from an iphone or a droid?

I'll start with the iphone. It doesn't have 4g and the new 2011 model most likely won't. Now we know apple is working on 4g and odds are they will release a 4g phone in 2012. If RIM waits and doesn't put it on this phone... Apple ends up with another leg up late next year.

Now the droid. RIM's argument will be we can have all the safety and security you expect from BB plus Droid apps. But... 4g droids exist. They keep working to make Droid's more capable of being used in a business setting. There goes staying ahead of droids in anything.

To even match these other platforms, this phone needs to be killer. It needs to be dual core, have all the elements of email and bbm missing from the playbook, and be 4g. Anything short extremely kills the value proposition of the device and by the time they match it.. we will have quadcore 4g iphones and droids.
    Blackberry_boffin likes this.
    08-27-11 12:19 PM
    i'm sorry but this phone needs to be 4G. Lets talk marketing and how you need to differentiate your product. What differentiates this new phone from an iphone or a droid?

I'll start with the iphone. It doesn't have 4g and the new 2011 model most likely won't. Now we know apple is working on 4g and odds are they will release a 4g phone in 2012. If RIM waits and doesn't put it on this phone... Apple ends up with another leg up late next year.

Now the droid. RIM's argument will be we can have all the safety and security you expect from BB plus Droid apps. But... 4g droids exist. They keep working to make Droid's more capable of being used in a business setting. There goes staying ahead of droids in anything.

To even match these other platforms, this phone needs to be killer. It needs to be dual core, have all the elements of email and bbm missing from the playbook, and be 4g. Anything short extremely kills the value proposition of the device and by the time they match it.. we will have quadcore 4g iphones and droids.
    Remember they aren't trying to compete with Apple.

08-28-11 09:23 AM
    So who are they competing with? Themselves? They have to know consumers compare phones. Now if they want be a Keyocera and conquer the low end market ok but they keep pricing the phones as high end phones. Once you reach Apple's price point, you are competing with Apple.
    08-28-11 10:22 AM

I dso understand what you're saying. I felt that my next phone HAD to be 4G or I wasn't getting it but then things changed. (I'm tied to Verizon, so all of these relate primarily to my experiences with them)

• I tried the Verizon 4G LTE phones in their stores (which ALWAYS have strong signals) and it didn't blow me away.
    • Verizon seems to be asking a $100 premium on their 4G phones, which I am not willing to pay.
    • 4G (at least Verizon's) sucks the life out of a battery in a heartbeat.
    • Carriers are starting to limit the amount of downloading I can do, so I'm relying on WiFi more and more.

While I like the idea of 4G, it's not a make or break issue for me. I do hope the phone costs, bandwidth costs, and battery issues go away but until they do, 4G is a perk that I don't have to have.
    08-28-11 02:17 PM
    I dso understand what you're saying. I felt that my next phone HAD to be 4G or I wasn't getting it but then things changed. (I'm tied to Verizon, so all of these relate primarily to my experiences with them)

• I tried the Verizon 4G LTE phones in their stores (which ALWAYS have strong signals) and it didn't blow me away.
    • Verizon seems to be asking a $100 premium on their 4G phones, which I am not willing to pay.
    • 4G (at least Verizon's) sucks the life out of a battery in a heartbeat.
    • Carriers are starting to limit the amount of downloading I can do, so I'm relying on WiFi more and more.

While I like the idea of 4G, it's not a make or break issue for me. I do hope the phone costs, bandwidth costs, and battery issues go away but until they do, 4G is a perk that I don't have to have.
    Sorry I disagree. I'm seeing reports of the new Droid phones this fall doing far better with battery life and great speeds too. I'm leaning towards the Droid Bionic because after my blackberry 9300, I want those specs in terms of screen size, 4g, dual cameras for video chat and the available apps as minimum. I just wish blackberry phones were there right now but they aren't.
    08-28-11 03:05 PM

• 3D
    • 4.3" Super AMOLED
    • 4G (both LTE and GSM)
    • Quad core
    • 8 GB internal ram
    • 64 GB SD card
    • 802.11b/g/n
    • Hotspot
    • NFC
    • GPS
    • Compass
    • HDMI
    • Xenon flash
    • Trackpad

Okay it sounds absurd but RIM NEEDS to claw back customers (a different proposition to just mantaining them). This demands extreme measures. Occasional consumers do not care if a device has features they'll never use. If its touted as top of the range, to them it has to match/beat the competition. I take it the Colt will be a top of the range BB (& priced to match). It will suffer a still-birth if it cannot bring features already seen on other devices and more to make everyone sit up again. All these features mentioned here exist in one form or the other on existing devices so a top of the range device cannot escape them.
    08-29-11 05:20 PM
    Hmm, IMHO they should skip dual-core and try quad-core, then they can consider dual-core for lower end products. It'll make their phones more appealing to the public. Just my thought, though.

08-30-11 03:49 AM
    The sad this is that I can't tell who's not serious and who's actually misguided.
    Barljo likes this.
    08-30-11 10:34 AM
    Hmm, IMHO they should skip dual-core and try quad-core, then they can consider dual-core for lower end products. It'll make their phones more appealing to the public. Just my thought, though.
    Make it octo-core and running off of a 12 cylinder engine and I am SO THERE!!
    08-30-11 05:28 PM
    I hope it doesn't have a front facing camera. even if it does, and I like it, it will get black tape over it... The camera should be on the back only!

I wonder if the touch screen will have a stylus integrated into the case? I could see that possibly making the touch screen a little easier for those folks (like I am!) who aren't all hip on the touch screen. Wonder if a nintendo ds stylus works on them?
    09-05-11 03:10 AM
    Styli only work on transitive touch screens, which work off of pressue (think the old Palm devices). Capacitive touchscreens are much more sensitive, and look nices (not soft an mushy), react to capacitive material touching them (think fingers, and hotdogs). There are special capacitive styli out there, but the DS one is not, it is for Transitive screens.

You people do realize that more cores = less battery life right? 2 cores plus a dedicate gpu is going to require a fuel cell to run it. I think you are going to see the dual core devices (including android/iphone) come with big 4" screens, because it will be easy for them to embend a monster battery in it.

With is another thing, if rim wants to have a powerful phone, slim form factor, it is going to have to abandon the removable battieries as they just aren't an efficient use of space. I know all the reasons you like removeable batteries, but I would estimate you lose 30% capacity by building the phone, and battery to be removeable.

I for one think the iPhone 4 is plenty fast and smooth with 1 core and a dedicated GPU. Really the only thing slow about it is the transitions, cutesy animations, and just the fact the UI layer is built to wow people, instead of do things efficiently. I get double the battery life on my iPhone compared to my 9900.

I could live with the Colt being a single core, dedicated GPU, so long as it has good battery life. Things I would like to see are:
    - 300+ dpi: 9900 is pretty good, but on all other BB devices, you notice the granularity.
    - form factor: the best would be if they could make the Torch sexy. A big screen, 9900's keyboard, but keep it slip, with small bezel.
    - brushed aluminum: toss that chrome plastic ****, it is embarassing. The black plastic is ok, because atleast it is proud to be plastic, but the brushed alum. on the 9900 and iPhone4 is where it's at.

More importantly that what the Colt is, is going to be how QNX works on phone. BBOS7 still feels clunky with touch controls. Dev's (RIM and 3rd Party... even myself) don't worry about the perfect touch experience, because they know if a control is hard to touch, people will just fall back to the trackpad... not a good experience. For example c/p on touchscreen is not as good as iPhone. Holding shift, and scrolling trackpad feels old school...

QNX also needs to be slightly more geared towards the consumer (yes, without sacrificing enterprise). Improve media player, **** just ripoff ipod software, if you asked most consumers what an mp3 player was, they'd say it was a type of iPod. iTunes DRM support. Can the default game stop being brick breaker, and word mole? How about bomberman and scrabble? Poker can stay; most consumers claim it is a sport. Email is another; when Blackberries were new, just getting email on your phone was a wonderous thing. But what was Blackberries strength is now their weakness. Yes emails get pushed out very fast, but give me some folder management (basically an imap client, built on push), use the webkit for rendering emails, even integrate with BBM (like outlook does with messenger).

ok, back to work.
    ~S

~S
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 09-09-11 at 12:53 PM.
    09-09-11 12:26 PM
    Listen this is a phone meant to claw back some of RIM's mojo. It is supposed to make the competition and the spec-crazy people sit up and take notice. If you are on this website then you are out of that bracket because the BB you have was never top spec in any bracket.
    RIM's reputation is on the wane and this 'superphone' is supposed to correct that. It doesn't matter a damn whether the traditional RIM fanbase feels its unnecessary, this is not for you. If the competition does it then so should RIM. RIM is not controlling the market at the moment, the gap to catch up is vast ans is reflected in market share. This is not the time for RIM to be wondering if 'this' or 'that' is neccesary. This is just a 'YES WE CAN' phone to win something in the specs stakes.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 09-09-11 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    09-09-11 03:40 PM
    Us, nerdy vocal minority care about specs. But QNX is going to have to provide a lot of the wow.

The iPhone 4 looks like a pretty plain device. It is easy to see it is made of quality materials, but when you use it it is the UI that provides the lasting wow. Most of the non-techies I know who just got iPhones talk about the OS when they talk about things they like about it. When most (non-techies) describe what they like about blackberry, it is the keyboard (maybe bbm).

QNX is a clean slate. They need BBOS efficiency, but uncluttered and pretty like iOS.

My point is, the hardware will get BGR excited, but it will be QNX and it's UI, that will (hopefully) create long term success... Really makes me thing how tough they are in. They need QNX now, but they can't release a half-baked phone, like they did with Playbook. (I actually like playbook, but that was a shoddy release).
    Last edited by snowsquirrel; 09-09-11 at 04:26 PM.
    09-09-11 04:22 PM
    Improve media player, **** just ripoff ipod software, if you asked most consumers what an mp3 player was, they'd say it was a type of iPod. iTunes DRM support.
    No, oh god no. Anything but Apple inspired music player and store. Go Zune! It kicks ***. The Zune itself is amazing, all the swipe gestures would work perfectly. I wish Microsoft would have put some money into advertising it and it would not have ended up like HP and their phones.

09-10-11 11:12 PM
    Haven't tried a Zune, but I'll take your word for it. Point is that while the BB media player is getting better, it still feels like Windows Media Player (shudder).
    09-12-11 10:23 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD