View Poll Results: Do you like the BlackBerry Blade concept to be taken into reality by RIM?

Voters
242. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I love it and would buy it!

187 77.27%
  • Yes, I like it, but I will wait for another model.

37 15.29%
  • No, I don't like it.

18 7.44%
05-19-12 04:12 PM
58 123
tools
    Why do people not bother reading the actual article instead of just looking at the pictures, it is not a leak or a rumoured device, it is simply a concept that has been done by somebody with no connection to rim at all.

As far as the actual design, it is quite interesting, but that is always an easy thing to do when you can just throw specs ( a mini vga really?) at a design and have no need to consider hw costs or mundane issues like how you would fit things like batteries or antennas into a design.
    03-24-12 05:26 AM
    I suggest we all spam thor's email professing our love for this concept, this design and these specs. Let him know hes got a winning form factor here if rim can pull it off.

Who's with me?
    CrownIsle and MasterOfBinary like this.
    03-24-12 06:09 AM
    I like the curved front. The back should be flat...I don't like it when a phone spins around on a flat surface

RIM stated BB10 will be close to the playbook but smaller...how about a curved front and flat back. This would leave room for the best camera hardware and optics at the top

How about a phone that looks like a little playbook from the back (flat, nice plastic), but the front slides out and curves up

The designer has no idea how the new BB10 UI functions so the 5 'legacy' buttons might not even be needed. I think the buttons are too close to the edge

I don't like the keyboard. Too small and it looks like it's not comfortable to use

This is a concept but I think it's more style than substance
    Last edited by anthogag; 03-24-12 at 09:55 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-24-12 09:27 AM
    Why do people not bother reading the actual article instead of just looking at the pictures, it is not a leak or a rumoured device, it is simply a concept that has been done by somebody with no connection to rim at all.

As far as the actual design, it is quite interesting, but that is always an easy thing to do when you can just throw specs ( a mini vga really?) at a design and have no need to consider hw costs or mundane issues like how you would fit things like batteries or antennas into a design.
    There's a post, earlier in this thread, indicating that this is a design firm that's worked with RIM before. They should have knowledge of all those things you think they can't know enough about to make the phone cost effective and usable.
    03-24-12 11:05 AM
    There are a couple of things I see as needing fixing.

The extended edge with sharp corners could be an issue for clothing damage for those pocketing the phone. And the curve makes rear pocket even more possible than present designs. So, flush edges, slightly rounder corners.

Someone mentioned the keyboard. The pics make it look flush with the rest of the phone. I have to agree that it's probably going to hose the typing experience we've had with the present and past BBs. Definitely needs to be fixed.

While we're on the subject of the keyboard, someone suggested that the slight curve would making typing on a flat surface difficult. I'm not sure if I'm unique in this, but I've never found typing on a BB on a table or desk to work very well. I'm much more comfortable picking it up to type.

Another suggestion was flat back and curved screen. That would make both ends much thicker because front and back weren't matching. Making the design less pocketable. And less comfortable to use. Either both sections need to be curved or both need to be flat.

And I'll second the comments about wanting a good 8 Mp camera, rather than a bad 12 Mp camera. Megapixels can be good, but it's more hype than anything. If you don't have the optics and mechanism, this'll be 12 megapixels of crappy picture. I think we've all seen the phone camera comparisons where both cameras have the same number of Mp, but the camera itself makes a huge difference. And we all have read the complaints about the 9900 not having the autofocus that's built into the 9810.
    CrownIsle and jkomo001 like this.
    03-24-12 11:42 AM
    The name fit the design perfectly, reminds me of those knifes that you press a button and the blade shoots out, not just because of the straight edges of the sliding factor but also in the knife the dangerous part is hidden. LOL you think its just a regular touch screen and BAM out shoots the great physical keyboard we all know and love.

it being a BB10 pone though we know they will do away with the buttons and go with the swipe gestures of the PB. So imagine it with a bezel around it, just a small one you don't want to loose to much screen space like they did with the PB and its golden.

the quadcore chipset we know isn't happening, its going to be a duel core with the BB10s. the 720x1280 screen is going to rock the socks off everything and anything. the 12MP back and 5MP front are very realistic as there are phones out there that have those specs now. good aray of ports . MiniVGA and microHDMI are a great selling feature that the on-the-go business person will love.

The curved form would be very comfortable to hold when surfing and working away. the LED light, that looks like its on the edges of the phone instead of a little blinking light is a welcomed change . would be interesting to see BeBuzz on this phone and your phone lighting up Disco in the middle of a meeting LOL.
    A 1280 x 720 resolution screen is NOT going to 'rock the socks off everything and anything'. There are already several Android phones with this screen resolution. The Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus have had that res since last year. What's with you guys and hyperbole anyway?

I'm not sure how practical a 4.6 inch slider would be in use. With the slider extended, it's gonna be one long device.

I don't think there are any phones with a 5MP front facing camera.
    03-24-12 01:09 PM
    I'm not sure how practical a 4.6 inch slider would be in use. With the slider extended, it's gonna be one long device.
    while using the device is the only time you would have the slider extended, its not like you would have it extended into your pocket or anything. and its not like its going to be too heavy to hold or to big to hold while using it so i don't see the issue.
    03-24-12 01:19 PM
    Bottom line is this is unrealistically powerful, RIM is NOT going to build a phone with a Quad Core 1.5 Ghz processor. Just not happening.
    03-24-12 01:51 PM
    There's a post, earlier in this thread, indicating that this is a design firm that's worked with RIM before. They should have knowledge of all those things you think they can't know enough about to make the phone cost effective and usable.
    Just checked and nobody mentions anything of the sort, possibly it is in the article's comments, but in any case while they may have some awareness of those issues seem to have shown none of that in this design nor taken any hints from the actual bb10 leaks we have all seen that drop the trackpad and row of buttons.

Assuming that the first slider comes after london and a subsequent qwerty model the odds are that the screen will be a bit smaller (still 720p) than that to make it a more distinct option between london and the bb10 bold, perhaps a 4" slider to slot between a 4.x" london and a 3.x" bold, the cost and resolution are probably going to be bigger considerations than the type of display so amoled is possible, but other options have benefits too.

The processor is more likely to be a higher-clocked dualcore rather than a quadcore assuming that the first bb10 phones come with either a snapdragon s4 or newer omap4 since those are the companies making the higher end os7 devices and the playbook at this time.

The cameras will have lower mp (8 and 3 probably), but after the whinging af would seem likely.

Mini vga has zero chance of making it in out of those ports, the other 3 are quite likely.

For the radios, those seem likely, with regional variants for the various LTE bands, in addition you'd get nfc and bt4.0 with an outside chance of going beyond wireless-n depending on chipset support.

Gorilla glass probably won't be a high priority either, it is just another checkbox feature that doesn't make a huge difference in reality since all phones need to pass drop tests etc. before being approved.

Finally, the curved shape probably has no chance of happening, it makes the device less comfortable in a pocket, adds complexity to manufacturing and adds nothing to usability when closed. If they were going to use a curve anywhere it would be on the keyboard if that allowed them to keep the device slim while still having a comfortable typing position.
    Last edited by Skeevecr; 03-24-12 at 02:27 PM.
    03-24-12 02:25 PM
    A 1280 x 720 resolution screen is NOT going to 'rock the socks off everything and anything'. There are already several Android phones with this screen resolution. The Galaxy Note and Galaxy Nexus have had that res since last year. What's with you guys and hyperbole anyway?

I don't think there are any phones with a 5MP front facing camera.
    whats with us guys? so you are not a user on this website? then go away :P
    we are all family here. all sharing in our love for a great product and company.
    Ive thought the same until i got my hands on a 9810, that's the new Torch slider style phone in case you didn't know not being one of "us" and all, and i find that when i slide the screen to type something its only for a few seconds then i slide it closed again. its not a huge deal in the long and short of it all.
    there might not be a 5MP front camera but there are 5MP rear and whats the difference between a front and a rear other then the position.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-24-12 03:27 PM
    Just checked and nobody mentions anything of the sort....
    Simple, do you like the BlackBerry Blade concept phone designed by the Toronto Design Firm PixelCarve? This company has worked before with RIM, and seems to have a good relation with them too.
    10 characters
    03-24-12 03:33 PM
    Sorry if this has been said but the name is all wrong. Since this has the slide out keyboard it shoud be the BB Switchblade. The all touch phone should be the BB Blade. And both should be straight. But there should be one model with the curve in it. The "BB Curve" duh.....
    03-24-12 03:39 PM
    Aside from the curve, I love this thing. With a screen that big, I don't think this phone would feel like a compromise like the current Torch does and as it will be thinner, I think that would work great for me.
    03-24-12 04:13 PM
    Sorry if this has been said but the name is all wrong. Since this has the slide out keyboard it shoud be the BB Switchblade. The all touch phone should be the BB Blade. And both should be straight. But there should be one model with the curve in it. The "BB Curve" duh.....
    LOL, I was just thinking that. Except the part about the Curve.
    03-24-12 04:15 PM
    I like the curved front. The back should be flat...I don't like it when a phone spins around on a flat surface

RIM stated BB10 will be close to the playbook but smaller...how about a curved front and flat back. This would leave room for the best camera hardware and optics at the top

How about a phone that looks like a little playbook from the back (flat, nice plastic), but the front slides out on a curve i.e. The screen rotates as it slides out

The designer has no idea how the new BB10 UI functions so the 5 'legacy' buttons might not even be needed. I think the buttons are too close to the edge

I don't like the keyboard. Too small and it looks like it's not comfortable to use

This is a concept but I think it's more style than substance
    I haven't used this much smileys till yet.
    03-24-12 04:19 PM
    Just checked and nobody mentions anything of the sort, possibly it is in the article's comments, but in any case while they may have some awareness of those issues seem to have shown none of that in this design nor taken any hints from the actual bb10 leaks we have all seen that drop the trackpad and row of buttons.

Assuming that the first slider comes after london and a subsequent qwerty model the odds are that the screen will be a bit smaller (still 720p) than that to make it a more distinct option between london and the bb10 bold, perhaps a 4" slider to slot between a 4.x" london and a 3.x" bold, the cost and resolution are probably going to be bigger considerations than the type of display so amoled is possible, but other options have benefits too.

The processor is more likely to be a higher-clocked dualcore rather than a quadcore assuming that the first bb10 phones come with either a snapdragon s4 or newer omap4 since those are the companies making the higher end os7 devices and the playbook at this time.

The cameras will have lower mp (8 and 3 probably), but after the whinging af would seem likely.

Mini vga has zero chance of making it in out of those ports, the other 3 are quite likely.

For the radios, those seem likely, with regional variants for the various LTE bands, in addition you'd get nfc and bt4.0 with an outside chance of going beyond wireless-n depending on chipset support.

Gorilla glass probably won't be a high priority either, it is just another checkbox feature that doesn't make a huge difference in reality since all phones need to pass drop tests etc. before being approved.

Finally, the curved shape probably has no chance of happening, it makes the device less comfortable in a pocket, adds complexity to manufacturing and adds nothing to usability when closed. If they were going to use a curve anywhere it would be on the keyboard if that allowed them to keep the device slim while still having a comfortable typing position.
    Since someone already quoted the part of the first post in this thread that deals with the company's relationship with RIM, I'll leave that alone.

Much of the rest of what you say may be true. But what does it have to do with whether I (we) like the design? Which is the actual subject of the thread. It's kind of like a thread about whether we like the looks of Megan Fox. And someone responds, "You'll never get a date with her." Probably true, but beside the point.

And the curve is minimal. Not that difficult to manufacture and little detraction from usability.

And all of this, along with $1.50, will get me a good cup of Zeke's. Since this whole thread is hypothetical, anyway.
    03-24-12 06:27 PM
    I suggest we all spam thor's email professing our love for this concept, this design and these specs. Let him know hes got a winning form factor here if rim can pull it off.

Who's with me?
    Why don't you create a petition, and I'll sign it. I see some people likes the keyboard,and some doesn't. I suggest they make the keyboard as an accessory item, if you want it, you can buy one and snap on, if is feasible. So create petition, tell RIM what we want.
    03-24-12 06:49 PM
    I would love this. If the keyboard was as good as the 9900. When I trade off pulling out the keyboard for having double the screen size, I'm fine with that, but if I'm also losing having a good keyboard in the first place, then it's not worth it...
    03-24-12 07:32 PM
    Much of the rest of what you say may be true. But what does it have to do with whether I (we) like the design? Which is the actual subject of the thread.
    The problem with unrealistic concepts like this is that people overlook the word concept and it adds to the needless grief rim gets for their actual designs just because some random firm couldn't be bothered to have a vaguely realistic feature/spec list on their concept.

Why even both including specs on what is basically just a pretty picture anyway, people will still like it or not for the design after all.
    03-25-12 08:30 AM
    I think this phone looks awesome, if it was comfortable to hold and use i would get it..
    03-25-12 09:27 AM
    I don't love it in terms of the poll, but would buy it if it fit all of the key parameters that are important to me. But as in all new models that change design and shape the investment we all make in accessories do not support new designs and are not backward compatible. Its nice to have a sexy new design but will or can it support and maintain the same features currently in the models we now have? If RIM adapts this cool design there should be no minimum feature set.they need to come out of the shoot blazing and taking no prisoners. It is important to the success and image of the company to have 0 fumbles or faults with this new release. There can be NO short comings or missed known opportunities and the need for this phone to stand alone with or without the Playbook is keyIMHO
    JAGWIRE likes this.
    03-25-12 10:33 AM
    If it was flat I would submit my preorder today.
    03-25-12 11:07 AM
    switchblade would be an awesome name
    03-25-12 12:17 PM
    Yes, I like it, but I will wait for another model. Though i'm not a slide user. But gotta say that it looks pretty good.
    I would take out the curvy for sure. An all flat one would be much more sexier.
    03-25-12 12:20 PM
    I love the Blade concept! I almost wanted to cry before I realized that it was simply a mock-up! I've always believed the Torch to be the best phone RIM offers (yes, I'm biased), and this would be beautfiul. If RIM released this ahead of the full-touch slab sans keyboard, I think they could expect more sales, not a waning number. The specs aren't what's being touted (the specs RIM is rumored to be packing in this phone might be better, actually, if they use Qualcomm S4 of OMAP 5 processors).

Now, I'm incredibly curious about this design. I know it's been mentioned that the firm that released this design once worked with RIM (don't know if they still do), but is this really a random mock-up? I mean, why would a company (regardless of whether they worked with RIM in the past) create a design for RIM with their logos and everything just for the heck of it? It doesn't make sense to me unless there is something more to the concept. Hmmm...perhaps this is just wishful thinking. But, I really hope not!
    03-26-12 06:11 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD