06-07-12 10:25 AM
40 12
tools
    Sorry, I just couldn't resist how good QNX would be on the 9900. I really do hope it will be upgradeable to the new QNX software. Who knows?.

This would be a dream..
    -also with a front facing camera!.
    Chrisy and axllebeer like this.
    08-05-11 07:11 PM
    Nice picture. I can imagine ill-informed people might find that picture on the internet and then start speculating that QNX will be available on the 9900.
    marksthespot60 likes this.
    08-05-11 07:23 PM
    im pretty sure QNX only really runs optimal on dual core processors.

but only time will tell.

I truly believe it wont happen
    08-05-11 08:07 PM
    Guys!.

I purely made this sketch up!. I just wanted to show that it can be done .
    QNX can run on anything. cars, machinery etc. so why not on a lower spec'd single core phone?

to my knowledge,
    OS 4 phones was upgradeable to OS 5
    OS 5 phones was upgradeable to OS 6

OS 6 wasn't because of the RAM or some other problem.

But seriously. If RIM has used elements of QNX in OS 7, they're could be a possibility that it might be upgradeable.
    08-05-11 08:14 PM
    Unless you're willing to remove practically half of the features the new QNX-based OS will bring to it - then I highly doubt older BB models will be suitable for the new OS.
    08-05-11 11:40 PM
    RIM has not *even hinted* that the OS7 devices will ever get QNX. And has said their implementation requires dual core procs. Anyhow. So no chance I'd say. Though OS7 looks good and fast.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 11:58 PM
    QNX has no problem running on a single core processor. This has to do with RIM's "tonnage" strategy.

RIM is going to host 2 more OS's on top of the native one. Android and BBOS in "players". It also offers the WebWorks SDK, which is in a sense targeting another player, using the browser as a runtime. All these non-native runtimes are going to do their own thing, they're like black boxes to the hosting OS, so it's best to throw a separate core at them.

But a bigger issue is memory. Loading Android and BBOS, along with the native QNX OS will take a lot of RAM. Not storage memory, runtime memory.

The Playbook has 2GB of RAM. The phones top out at 768MB.
    WaelIT_ likes this.
    08-05-11 11:58 PM
    Guys!.

QNX can run on anything. cars, machinery etc. so why not on a lower spec'd single core phone?

to my knowledge,

Really? The 8310/20 would disagree with that...

Is that so? Then why is it the 85xx, 8900 and Storms didn't get OS6?

But seriously. If RIM has used elements of QNX in OS 7, they're could be a possibility that it might be upgradeable.
    Oh, and OS 6 devices are not getting OS 7.

RIM might do it. But history is telling a different story.
    08-06-11 04:30 PM
    QNX has no problem running on a single core processor. This has to do with RIM's "tonnage" strategy.

RIM is going to host 2 more OS's on top of the native one. Android and BBOS in "players". It also offers the WebWorks SDK, which is in a sense targeting another player, using the browser as a runtime. All these non-native runtimes are going to do their own thing, they're like black boxes to the hosting OS, so it's best to throw a separate core at them.

But a bigger issue is memory. Loading Android and BBOS, along with the native QNX OS will take a lot of RAM. Not storage memory, runtime memory.

The Playbook has 2GB of RAM. The phones top out at 768MB.
    The PlayBook has 1GB of RAM.
    08-06-11 05:11 PM
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -111- View Post
    Guys!.

to my knowledge,

Really? The 8310/20 would disagree with that...

Is that so? Then why is it the 85xx, 8900 and Storms didn't get OS6?

RIM might do it. But history is telling a different story

RIM might do it. But history is telling a different story.
    No mate

OS 4.7 was on the 8900, 9000, etc. they were all upgradeable to OS 5!

OS 5 phone e.g. 9700, 9300, 9100 (that pearl phone?) were ALL upgradeable to OS 6

OS 6 e.g. 9800, 9780 wasn't upgradeable due to RAM Memory.

Blackberry have not yet confirmed whether OS 7 will be upgradeable.

I guess not all devices will be upgradeable maybe due TO RAM! Thats why some devices weren't upgradeable. ?. who knows?

Anyway, i'm just saying how good they would look on QNX...
    I heard that there was also meant to be no QNX with the next upgrade on OS. so maybe OS 7 maybe upgradeable to the newer OS without QNX??
    08-06-11 06:11 PM
    No mate

OS 4.7 was on the 8900, 9000, etc. they were all upgradeable to OS 5!

No mate. 4.7 was on the Tour and Storm1. 9000 shipped with 4.6 and 8900 with 4.6.1.

OS 5 phone e.g. 9700, 9300, 9100 (that pearl phone?) were ALL upgradeable to OS 6

Yet the Storm 2, 8900, 85xx and Tour weren't. Your point?

OS 6 e.g. 9800, 9780 wasn't upgradeable due to RAM Memory.

Says who? If you had gone with the liquid graphics argument, I'd have agreed thou.

Blackberry have not yet confirmed whether OS 7 will be upgradeable.

I guess not all devices will be upgradeable maybe due TO RAM! Thats why some devices weren't upgradeable. ?. who knows?

The RAM argument for updating to OS 6 has long been dropped. The 9300 and the 9700 only have 256mb, like all the ones that didn't get 6. The only thing the devices that got 6 really have different from the other was the processor, 624mhz. Wait. The 9650 only had a 524mhz processor. So, as I said many times before. It was a marketing decision. RIM decided not to.

Anyway, i'm just saying how good they would look on QNX...
    I heard that there was also meant to be no QNX with the next upgrade on OS. so maybe OS 7 maybe upgradeable to the newer OS without QNX??
    I personaly believe it is possible to have OS 7 devices running QNX. Yet again I say it is unlikely, because RIM has been doing the "we won't update previously released devices" thing.

You do remember 7 was supposed to be 6.1 and allow us to edit which panes we wanted to have right? It was supposed to be vailable to OS 6 devices and then "liquid graphics" came in and it was not.

Could RIM stil get the pre-liquid graphics code and release to us? Yes. Will they? Doubtful.

Still, the argument is moot till we see RIM say something. Let us just hold hands and wish hard.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-06-11 at 07:26 PM.
    08-06-11 07:22 PM
    I personaly believe it is possible to have OS 7 devices running QNX. Yet again I say it is unlikely, because RIM has been doing the "we won't update previously released devices" thing.

You do remember 7 was supposed to be 6.1 and allow us to edit which panes we wanted to have right? It was supposed to be vailable to OS 6 devices and then "liquid graphics" came in and it was not.

Could RIM stil get the pre-liquid graphics code and release to us? Yes. Will they? Doubtful.

Still, the argument is moot till we see RIM say something. Let us just hold hands and wish hard.
    Oh yes!. they also cut 11% of it's workforce!.

- Just saying.. less people..
    Last edited by -111-; 08-06-11 at 11:10 PM.
    08-06-11 07:34 PM
    Oh yes!. they also cut 11% of it's workforce!.
    - Just sayin'
    It is more than "just sayin'" it's troll-bait. It has nothing to do with the topic we're on.
    08-06-11 08:32 PM
    It is more than "just sayin'" it's troll-bait. It has nothing to do with the topic we're on.

No it isn't. it has everything to do with the topic we are on. if BlackBerry have less employees it means there may be less people working on different things. i have not even started on the PRODUCTIVITY of employees, maybe they might let OS 7 be upgradeable but how things are looking now, i don't think so.

how can they just give OS 7 to OS 6 owners without pre-liquid graphics. OS 7 have things which OS 6 DIDN'T!. I've already said this but having to repeat. THE REASON OS 6 WASN'T UPGRADEABLE WAS DUE TO RAM/MEMORY ISSUES!!!!!

I posted this picture just to SHOW how nice QNX looks on the device . and I hope that perhaps 9900 owners may get a software update. by the looks of it, it's a 'no' which i've understood. but then again who knows?. it might be possible..

All i wanted was just some praise, discussion about it. never even wanted any other BS or rude comments on here.
    Last edited by -111-; 08-06-11 at 11:19 PM. Reason: -
    08-06-11 11:07 PM
    The PlayBook has 1GB of RAM.
    Thanks. Still, there's no way 3 OS's will be running together on the released phones.
    08-06-11 11:39 PM

Lack of a gpu prevents os6 getting os7.
    -111- likes this.
    08-07-11 07:31 AM
    To be honest, the main thing I want from Rim for my 9900 would be significant upgrades, an os7.1 or 7.5 that adds enough new features would do me just fine e.g. giving us the mobile hotspot that seems to have gone awol from os7 for some reason.

From qnx, the obvious things people would want would be gestures, flash and the android player, with those last two seeming to be the ones that would require more memory or processing power, so if you didn't get those why would you want qnx on a 9900 anyway.

In the end, qnx on these os7 devices will not come down to these devices so much as what works out best for them for next year's curve models since it would probably be too soon for dualcore on the entry-level. If it makes more sense to keep those on os7.x then there is no chance of qnx for these current devices, but if it makes more sense to shift everything over to qnx then we could see some sort of qnx lite introduced.
    -111- and MetalxAssassinx like this.
    08-07-11 07:44 AM
    No it isn't. it has everything to do with the topic we are on. if BlackBerry have less employees it means there may be less people working on different things. i have not even started on the PRODUCTIVITY of employees, maybe they might let OS 7 be upgradeable but how things are looking now, i don't think so.

Fear not, RIM is too big a company for 2000 layoffs to hurt them in any way. I would be much more concerned about those 2000 families... It's not exactly the best time to lose a job.

how can they just give OS 7 to OS 6 owners without pre-liquid graphics. OS 7 have things which OS 6 DIDN'T!. I've already said this but having to repeat. THE REASON OS 6 WASN'T UPGRADEABLE WAS DUE TO RAM/MEMORY ISSUES!!!!!

As somebody said in a post below. It was not. But I said that above and you still didn'te get it. OS 6.1 didn't really have any liquid graphics. RIM skipped a generation of phones and went with 1.2ghz processors instead of whatever they were going to use. That brought the GPU to the game and they took full advantage of it. And that's why OS 7 won't evenr run on OS6 devices. BUut if they wanted, they could let "6.1" out.

I posted this picture just to SHOW how nice QNX looks on the device . and I hope that perhaps 9900 owners may get a software update. by the looks of it, it's a 'no' which i've understood. but then again who knows?. it might be possible..

We all agree, it would be nlovely to have QNX. Even a 8110 would look lovely on QNX. And I agreed on the "might be possible" as well, from a hardware/software perspective. Just saying that RIM has been going with business decisions (as in, let's make as much money as possible) instead of technical desisions.

They do need to get revenue to keep on buying companies after all.

All i wanted was just some praise, discussion about it. never even wanted any other BS or rude comments on here.
    You got discussion, some points you raised were not right, that's all. BS? I see none. You did post some wrong info and we pointed it out. No rudeness whatsoever, just forum dynamics. You can't expect people to agree to 100% you say 100% of the time, that's all.

@Skeevecr Good memory, they did mention OS 6.1 and 6.1 Lite. I wonder if Lite got scrapped for good or if there are still chances to see that released.

I would particularly like QNX on the 9850. If we get confirmation it will be upgradable, I might be buying a new phone way before 2012.
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-07-11 at 01:35 PM.
    08-07-11 01:24 PM
    Nice picture. I can imagine ill-informed people might find that picture on the internet and then start speculating that QNX will be available on the 9900.
    cant wait for the chaos to start
    08-13-11 12:14 AM
    Why do you believe so strong in QNX! It's a great OS, but it will take a lot of work to make a QNX phone as useable as OS7! Look at the playbook! It's a great device, but it's far behind BB-OS7!

I love BlackBerry, because it's a great messaging device with some great apps! Apps, better than any on iOS and even Android!

I mean apps like Callblockers, SMS forwarder, etc.etc. Of course they are not as polished as apps on other devices, but they are deep integrated in the OS. Everything is connected on BBOS! It's very easy to send a picture as mail, twitter, etc.

On iOS you have sandboxes. Each sandbox performs great, but integrating with other apps is hard work.

QNX works in my eyes more like iOS. You have Sandboxes and each sandbox performs great. If an app breaks, close the sandbox and everyting is fine!

BUT the communication between each Sandbox is harder! You don't want to freece all connected apps so you are very limited in sandbox to sandbox communication!

So I think the hardest thing for rim, will be to switch to qnx, don't loose it's core features (high customization, 'super apps capabillity', etc.)

QNX shouldn't be a try to copy iOS! Then they will loose.

I would prefer to see OS8 in 2012 and QNX in 2013! Maybe one device of QNX in 2012 to learn how things work, like they are doing with playbook now. Maybe something like a BB ipod touch! But getting the experience of OS7 to QNX will be a lot of work, and we shouldn't expect to much!

Last I want to say sorry for my english, my prefered language is german!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    MetalxAssassinx likes this.
    08-13-11 11:33 PM
    I think the main thing with qnx is it gives better scalability of performance, particularly on the multimedia side of things. When that is combined with the fact that bbos is wrongly dismissed as being out of date without people actually looking at what it can do compared with other mobile os that are out there, the move to qnx is about altering perceptions of the product and company.
    08-14-11 07:51 AM
    I think the main thing with qnx is it gives better scalability of performance, particularly on the multimedia side of things. When that is combined with the fact that bbos is wrongly dismissed as being out of date without people actually looking at what it can do compared with other mobile os that are out there, the move to qnx is about altering perceptions of the product and company.
    That is true... OS7 is nothing but the very same thing we have had for the past 10 years. And look what it can accomplish... 3D graphics! Glorified pager OS they said. True. But one **** of a hardcore OS it is.

But then again, Java limits developers and developer adoption.QNX opens loads of doors. It isjust a matter or if RIM can or cannot get them to develop for QNX... So far it does not look that good.
    08-14-11 12:15 PM
    Guys look ,,, i don't care if im going to have OS7 all the way .. But can you promise me when QNX release that Developers will still work on OS7 ? i don' think so !

What i want is a Device that its OS won't die fast ,, i mean QNX release in Q1 2012 ?! this is soooo near !
    so if they will Update it ,, even with half of the new one .. at least i can guarantee that my device will be updated with apps and De-Bugs ! , and i can keeeeep it till 1 and half year and im comfortable ^^ , i don't want my device to be like Symbian
    09-29-11 07:00 AM
    Pretty sure reverse-compatibility was promised for OS 7 to QNX for apps, but not older versions.

But for the 9900 - you can't get QNX on it, and will not be able to.
    09-29-11 07:08 AM
    I wouldn't buy a 9900 in hopes it will get QNX.

Almost no OS5 device got OS6.

No OS6 device got OS7.

Do you really wanna place your chips on that bet?
    09-29-11 02:47 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD