06-01-13 08:31 PM
55 123
tools
    So..... for the slider form factor aficionados, Engadget reported earlier today that BlackBerry had been awarded a patent for a portrait QWERTY slider:

Could BlackBerry be prepping a return to slider form for future BB10 hardware? From the looks of this recently awarded design patent, we'd be willing to wager the Waterloo-based outfit's seriously considering it. The USPTO doc, initially filed back in December 2011, is as plain as they come, outlining a multi-perspective design for a handheld electronic device that looks to be a combo of the Z10's all-touch candybar aesthetic with a physical QWERTY keyboard hiding underneath la the Torch series. With BB diehards about to get a first taste of the Q10's more traditional design, it's reasonable to assume that a portrait QWERTY slider's next up on the 2013 horizon. And with the company's annual showcase, now renamed BB Live, set for mid-May, it's likely we'll be hearing about the next phase of BB10's portfolio and potentially this prospective gem in particular.

Source
    Given the bending corners at the bottom of the device, on both sides, it looks like the previously rumored Milan.

What do think CB nation?
    daveycrocket likes this.
    04-23-13 10:13 PM
    So..... for the slider form factor aficionados, Engadget reported earlier today that BlackBerry had been awarded a patent for a portrait QWERTY slider:
    Yes, BlackBerry 10 Slider here:
    BlackBerry 10 Slider - A flicker of hope?-bb10slider.jpg
    04-23-13 10:27 PM
    A BB10 slider. How awesome that would be.
    04-23-13 10:28 PM
    Given the bending corners at the bottom of the device, on both sides, it looks like the previously rumored Milan.

What do think CB nation?
    I totally agree it does look Milan like, I'm kinda wondering what would need a patient given we already have the 9810 generation of sliders? Unless it is about shape as you indicated is similar even the button configuration,But yes please can't wait.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    04-24-13 02:52 AM
    Sigh! then I m just going to have to wait for this to come out for real before I upgrade my Torch. Q10 looks nice but why did the screen have to be so small? Now a 4.5 inch slider? Perfect phone that should return expats who left for the Android world back to the Blackberry universe.
    snowmutt likes this.
    04-24-13 12:21 PM
    Wasn't this patent submitted long before they decided to streamline their product offerings? At this point, I dream of the Blade, but I doubt it's going to become a reality anytime within the next 2 years.
    04-24-13 01:35 PM
    Sigh! then I m just going to have to wait for this to come out for real before I upgrade my Torch. Q10 looks nice but why did the screen have to be so small? Now a 4.5 inch slider? Perfect phone that should return expats who left for the Android world back to the Blackberry universe.
    I was a Torch 9810 user big time physical keyboard guy, but the Z10 Keyboard is quite nice. I miss my physical keyboard a little less each day.

The Q10 utilizes the Bold form factor. DO NOT KNOCK THIS FORM FACTOR. It's be one of the most successful for BB over the years.
    04-24-13 01:51 PM
    I just want to get my hand on a BB10 slider. Please let it be true
    04-24-13 02:49 PM
    Wasn't this patent submitted long before they decided to streamline their product offerings? At this point, I dream of the Blade, but I doubt it's going to become a reality anytime within the next 2 years.
    A blade would be nice, .... oh go on .... BlackBerry ..... go on
    04-24-13 04:22 PM

What do think CB nation?

I think that you should guess the dimensions of the touch screen device and screen size then estimate the additional length of the slider KB add to two together and tell me if this slider is feasible.
    04-24-13 05:21 PM
    I think that you should guess the dimensions of the touch screen device and screen size then estimate the additional length of the slider KB add to two together and tell me if this slider is feasible.
    Hi, I think it would be feasible, I know what you are saying though it could be a bit long. However the 9810 family feel good and I quite like the longer body when on a call. Dimension wise it could be the same as the q10 same resolution of 330 dpi so say 720 x 1039 screen size giving a physical screen dimension of 55mm x 80mm so the screen would be approx. 5mm wider and 15mm longer than the 9810 but still within the same/similar overall length as the 9810 because the track pad has gone as on the Q10.
    Just my thoughts.
    04-25-13 03:36 AM
    Hi, I think it would be feasible, I know what you are saying though it could be a bit long. However the 9810 family feel good and I quite like the longer body when on a call. Dimension wise it could be the same as the q10 same resolution of 330 dpi so say 720 x 1039 screen size giving a physical screen dimension of 55mm x 80mm so the screen would be approx. 5mm wider and 15mm longer than the 9810 but still within the same/similar overall length as the 9810 because the track pad has gone as on the Q10.
    Just my thoughts.
    You need to go back to the drawing board because BB is only supporting :

The screen size for the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone (the first BlackBerry 10 touch device) is 768 x 1280 pixels. However, future BlackBerry smartphones will have the following screen sizes:

All-touch smartphones: 720 x 1280 pixels (16:9 aspect ratio)
    Smartphones with a physical keyboard: 720 x 720 pixels (1:1 aspect ratio)
    04-25-13 12:38 PM
    You need to go back to the drawing board because BB is only supporting :

The screen size for the BlackBerry Z10 smartphone (the first BlackBerry 10 touch device) is 768 x 1280 pixels. However, future BlackBerry smartphones will have the following screen sizes:

All-touch smartphones: 720 x 1280 pixels (16:9 aspect ratio)
    Smartphones with a physical keyboard: 720 x 720 pixels (1:1 aspect ratio)
    Okay, I was just playing. What do you suggest and I wasn't aware of the restricted pixel issue. so from what you suggest a slider screen can only be either a Q10 screen or a Z10 screen.
    So if they introduce a new curve stile phone on BB10 it would in effect be a Q10?
    Sorry if I misunderstand

Update, have just done some research on this and it seems that so far there are only two screen sizes, that said a slider would be a bit long with a 1280 x 720
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 04-25-13 at 03:36 PM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-25-13 02:02 PM
    so with these screen sizes seemingly locked down, the only slider would be a landscape form factor based on the 720 x 1280 resolution.
    So I may have to head over to the Q10 as My fingers tend to fire off the wrong letters on virtual keyboards, I have tried a Z10 and the keyboard is pretty good, predictive text good etc. I just find it a little plain.
    daveshiz likes this.
    04-26-13 03:02 AM
    so with these screen sizes seemingly locked down, the only slider would be a landscape form factor based on the 720 x 1280 resolution.
    So I may have to head over to the Q10 as My fingers tend to fire off the wrong letters on virtual keyboards, I have tried a Z10 and the keyboard is pretty good, predictive text good etc. I just find it a little plain.
    They could build a 720 x 720 Torch ... with a 3.6 inch screen and have room for a trackpad .
    convenor and daveycrocket like this.
    04-26-13 10:19 AM
    They could build a 720 x 720 Torch ... with a 3.6 inch screen and have room for a trackpad .
    Good thinking that would work, I do like the screen length though (9810) but we can't always have what we would like.
    To have a track pad may be a compromise
    04-26-13 11:13 AM
    Good thinking that would work, I do like the screen length though (9810) but we can't always have what we would like.
    To have a track pad may be a compromise
    The trackpad is dead and people have to realise that, as far as 720x720 on a larger display, that is more likely to be where they go with the next q10, a slider if they make one is likely to be a 720p display like the one from the z10 with a keyboard that won't be as good as the one on the q10 since they will need to minimise device thickness.
    04-27-13 04:54 AM
    The trackpad is dead and people have to realise that, as far as 720x720 on a larger display, that is more likely to be where they go with the next q10, a slider if they make one is likely to be a 720p display like the one from the z10 with a keyboard that won't be as good as the one on the q10 since they will need to minimise device thickness.
    I would just like a portrait slider OS 10 so how would that work with your thoughts, given only two resolutions of 720 x 720 and 1280 x 720 ie, 1.1 and 16.9
    04-27-13 05:35 AM
    If BlackBerry were to do a slider, and I hope to heck they do, it should be a landscape jot a portrait.

After having the 9810 for about 10 months I am a huge slider fan. The only reason I got the Z10 is because I didn't think that BlackBerry was going to make a slider.

Having it go landscape would kill the argument of a phone that is too long. It would add to the bulk yes but if done right I don't think it would be to bad, at worst it would be the same thickness as a 9810.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 05:20 PM
    If you have ever tried clicking a small but readable text link in your Z10 browser with your thumb and missed, you know the value of the track pad. It's just a one button mouse... BB10 should treat it just like a bluetooth mouse, only its built in. It would be a great asset to using a BB10 Handheld as a remote when connected to a Playbook or when using HDMI Out... you can look at the projected image and drive a mouse pointer with the track pad, instead of having to look at the device screen. Disagree if you want but BlackBerry fans should not concede the "Death" of the trackpad's usefulness any more than we conceded to apple fanbois that RIM was dead... neither are dead, both may not be to everyone's taste but both (BlackBerry and the BlackBerry trackpad) still have a significant following.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 10:30 PM
    if/when BlackBerry releases one, please codename it: "the S10"!!!
    05-01-13 01:12 PM
    S10 would be a great name! I'm still trying to figure out why Z. Q for qwerty and R for rudimentary but Z still escapes me

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 06:44 AM
    I find the 'Z' appropriate. I'm not sure exactly why, it just suits that the 'Z' is for the phone that is making BB10's first debut into the Mobile Market.

Blackberry Faithful - #TeamBlackBerry
    05-09-13 07:43 AM
    My take on the reason for Q and Z is that they're the big ones in the board game 'Scrabble' (Q score is 10, Z score is 10, no others), but a bit of a stab in the dark and generally not important.

S10 would be an awesome name, IMO. Would kinda bugger up Samsung's plans for their naming patterns, but there can be a clear indication as to why it would be the S10 anyways.
    Andrew Sheldon and Skeevecr like this.
    05-09-13 12:13 PM
    My take on the reason for Q and Z is that they're the big ones in the board game 'Scrabble' (Q score is 10, Z score is 10, no others), but a bit of a stab in the dark and generally not important.

S10 would be an awesome name, IMO. Would kinda bugger up Samsung's plans for their naming patterns, but there can be a clear indication as to why it would be the S10 anyways.
    No idea if that is the reasoning behind choosing z to go alongside the more logical q, but that would be cool if it was the reason and the going for an Sx model after mentioning the reason behind the q10 would be equally cool and quite funny too.
    05-09-13 12:39 PM
55 123