Was this supposed to be shown at DevCon ?.

There was nothing yesterday, will we still get a peek at this ?.
    10-19-11 07:17 AM
    It was a software developers conference, so no.
    10-19-11 09:01 AM
    It was a software developers conference, so no.
    Respectfully, since RIM manufactures its own hardware, aren't all of its conferences software conferences? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck (really!), but if I was a software developer or prospective developer, it would be great to see form factors (full screen, keyboard and screen, resolutions, sizes, key configurations, etc.) from a software development standpoint and to decide whether I really wanted to invest my energy and money into the platform. If RIM is headed for the rocks as is widely held (and, to be sure, I don't think it is though it has been in a rough patch for awhile), showing some hardware bling would get me fired up as a developer. Of course, I would also probably not care whilst playing with my free Playbook.

But then, I'm not a developer and don't fully understand their concerns.
    10-19-11 04:59 PM
    BigBadWulf, that's a bit of a harsh comment ?.

The reason I asked is that a Crackberry article...

QNX Developer Phone to be BlackBerry Colt? First Commercial QNX BlackBerry Smartphone to support LTE?! | CrackBerry.com

... appears to imply that at Devcon the development phones would also be launched.

Maybe they were, but not publicaly and with NDA's etc ?
    Last edited by Fatboy40; 10-20-11 at 07:31 AM.
    10-20-11 07:28 AM
    Nope.

On the earnings call back in September RIM said:
    The development platform for QNX phones will be presented in more detail at DevCon in October, and prototype phones featuring the QNX operating system and development platform will be available in the not too distant future.
    So what we got at DevCon was what they said they would do; give some more information about the BBX platform. We'll have to wait a while for the development phones and development platform.
    10-20-11 07:38 AM
    I thought Mike L. said that DevCon we would see working QNX hardware??? or did I just make this up?
    10-20-11 08:52 AM
    I thought Mike L. said that DevCon we would see working QNX hardware??? or did I just make this up?
    You made it up. Have a look at the above quote from their earnings call last month. They said they would only discuss BBX in more detail which they did. They said that hardware would follow "in the near future".
    10-20-11 10:58 AM
    Is there a thread about what a RIM BBX would do or would be like...
    For example:
    Are they mostly gonna be touch screen?
    Are they gonna mosty multitask?
    Are they gonna look like the OS looks now.

Why can't RIM just update the BBOS to 8 or just make them better instead of just doing a new thing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 06:38 PM
    The issue with a bbos 8 is that public perception of bbos is that it is very dated despite it competing very well on actual features with ios and android so they are making a complete break with the switch to qnx which will have more room to grow as needed unlike with bb7 where they seemingly had some problems with the newer chipsets that lead to delays in the release of those devices.
    10-21-11 10:49 PM
    Why can't RIM just update the BBOS to 8 or just make them better instead of just doing a new thing?
    Becuase RIM has been doing that since OS 1.0. All the OSes since then have just been built on top of the previous versions. There's only so far you can take that. At some point you need to start over from scratch which is exactly what they're doing with BBX.
    10-21-11 11:06 PM
    Cool. TNX!

10-22-11 06:54 PM
    Who says they didn't show it? He didn't say it would be shown publicly.

Just sayin'
    10-22-11 07:32 PM
    I really wonder what a BBX phone would look like. Will RIM keep their phone styles, meaning their 9900 and physical Keyboard like?

10-23-11 04:41 PM
    I really wonder what a BBX phone would look like. Will RIM keep their phone styles, meaning their 9900 and physical Keyboard like?

RIM has said that the first QNX phones will be high end all touchscreen devices.
    10-23-11 05:36 PM
    Who says they didn't show it? He didn't say it would be shown publicly.

Just sayin'
    Has Kevin signed another NDA with RIM? That's "sweeeet"...

Still waiting on that PB update.
    10-23-11 09:37 PM
    The core majority of BlackBerry users are physical keyboard oriented.
    It makes sense for the first BBX phone to be a glass slab touch only; as with it's Playbook heritage it will be the quickest to get to the market.

But there's no way they will abandon the majority of physical keyboard users, will follow up the glass slab with a 9900/9780 lookalike soon thereafter.
    10-24-11 07:52 AM
    10-26-11 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD