11-06-11 09:21 AM
49 12
tools
    with all this doom and gloom going on about RIM people are hopeing and prying that the BBX phone "colt" will show the syock holders they mean business. if they wanna stay in the market it better have some awesome specs...check out this phone 'coming soon' to Bell...
    LG Optimus LTE
    11-04-11 10:26 AM
    Currently, BlackBerry has no answer to the Android 'Superphones' and even the iPhone 4s.

This is their shot. We know it will be dual core and very thin. It's gotta have all the bells and whistles offered by the Optimus, Galaxy Nexus and Droid Razr.

The sales pitch is pretty simple: "it can run Android apps, has comparable specs, oh and it has BBM"

Perhaps that'll be enough to bring a few BlackBerry users back?
    11-04-11 10:33 AM
    Hopefully they learned from the epic failure that is the Playbook rollout. We better not see BBX phones until everything works and it is a full replacement in functionality for an existing BBOS device. Unfortunately with RIM's speedy development capabilities that time probably will be later than it needs to be.
    11-04-11 10:36 AM
    The problem with competing with Androids on hardware is that there are so many manufacturers who are deploying Android on their devices that just to differentiate themselves from two dozen others they will put up the fastest processor, hugest camera etc. Its good in a way as they are pushing technology at a fast pace, but they also quickly forget about the previous models and hence reducing the lifecycle and support for previous models.
    Android itself is evolving at a huge pace, one day you have the latest Gingerbread device, and you wake up and realise that Ice Cream Sandwich and your device is no longer supports it and neither will you get support for Gingerbread.
    RIM and Apple do it right IMO.
    And as long as the phones are working fine and are fast, I really don't see the advantage of having a billion ghz device going onto 2 billion ghz...
    11-04-11 10:40 AM
    RIM makes most of their money from selling crappy phones to 3rd world countries. I would never expect them to have better hardware than Android or a UI as nice as iOS... they would not be getting a good return on their investment as "superphones" are not (and likely are not going to be) their bread winner.
    11-04-11 10:45 AM
    the reason i think RIM's stock is doing so poorly is duento the north american market. as of the movie on the main page that showed the opening of the new BB store RIM is loved overseas. the north american market is what they need to hit big in and getting the newest 'biggest' model out there is what they need.
    11-04-11 10:59 AM
    that phone is not for everyone though. Its a 4.5 inch screen which means many people will be turned off. They do need to get their butts in gear and do 2 things they have not been good at lately.

1) Faster production and development
    2) complete and mostly bug free
    moiselles, up488 and lotuslanderz like this.
    11-04-11 11:05 AM
    Currently, BlackBerry has no answer to the Android 'Superphones' and even the iPhone 4s.

This is their shot. We know it will be dual core and very thin. It's gotta have all the bells and whistles offered by the Optimus, Galaxy Nexus and Droid Razr.

The sales pitch is pretty simple: "it can run Android apps, has comparable specs, oh and it has BBM"

Perhaps that'll be enough to bring a few BlackBerry users back?
    I agree and I believe that is RIM's intention.
    The plan with the first BBX device is to release a quintessentially Blackberry-like device (BBM, push email, security, battery life etc) that has all the bells and whistles of the best Android smartphone out there.
    The hardware really should be straightfoward, the problem is the programming side of things which clearly is a nightmare. The real fear is because of that it will come out buggy and with compromises everywhere.
    11-04-11 12:48 PM
    Based on R.I.Ms recent history, i am waiting but i expect to be dissapointed.
    11-04-11 01:12 PM
    I'm pretty sure that no matter what kind of a phone RIM releases next, it will not be a huge success. The reason for that is because iPhone is cool and so is Android, while it is cool to hate BlackBerry, and that is what your average consumer sees. Until that changes, blackberry will be what it currently is, a third or fourth choice for consumers.

My company let's us chose what kind of phones to get for work, and everyone gets iphone/android because others have it. It doesn't matter that all they will use it for is email, and blackberry is probably better than iphone/android at email, 99% of people chose iphone/android because its cool.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 02:48 PM
    In this fickle world, what's cool today is an embarrassment tomorrow. Time will tell if RIM can recapture the "cool" tag.
    11-04-11 02:54 PM
    thats 100% true. ive personally called it the "fun market". RIM need to get in there! if they dont they will continue to drop.
    11-04-11 03:50 PM
    It's more than just about hardware and the OS these days. Think about all the services and software you get when you buy an Android or iOS device today. High quality apps for absolutely everything. Free turn by turn navigation. Siri. iCloud - Find my iPhone, sync (videos, photos, documents, app settings, etc). iTunes integration for one-touch purchasing of movies, music, etc. Web developers all over the internet have optimized their sites specifically for iOS and Android devices, or they've written even richer native apps, etc.

And think of all the compatible hardware accessories, etc.

These days, competing is about more than just releasing a slab of hardware and a POSIX compliant kernel. Both Apple and Google did that *years* ago, and since then they and partners have been innovating on top of the core platform.
    moiselles likes this.
    11-04-11 04:19 PM
    Is everyone still in grade school where they want what is cool? Where is this world headed. I heard jumping off of a 10 story building is cool..............who's going?
    up488 and Jake Storm like this.
    11-04-11 04:33 PM
    Is everyone still in grade school where they want what is cool? Where is this world headed. I heard jumping off of a 10 story building is cool..............who's going?
    I don't believe people buy the iPhone because it's cool. They buy it because it's the best device for them. Saying that people buy the iPhone because it's cool is just something that small-minded people who are insecure about their own purchase do.
    Chrisy, jon4400 and moiselles like this.
    11-04-11 04:43 PM
    I don't believe people buy the iPhone because it's cool. They buy it because it's the best device for them. Saying that people buy the iPhone because it's cool is just something that small-minded people who are insecure about their own purchase do.
    I agree, just noticed cool mentioned a couple times is all.
    11-04-11 05:01 PM
    Does anyone over 17 even know what is considered "cool" anymore? I sure don't. Each platform has it's strength and I think that's why folks choose their phones.

Android and Apple devices do offer a few things that Blackberry doesn't that folks seem to want. Like apps and video calling.
    11-04-11 05:06 PM
    The tags are extremely classy.
    11-04-11 05:18 PM
    I don't think people buy iPhones because they are cool, but rather because they have basic judgement skills and can see they're getting much more for the same price.
    moiselles and johnenglish like this.
    11-04-11 05:23 PM
    The tags are extremely classy.
    I've noticed the tags on here are mostly useless insults. Lol.
    11-04-11 05:32 PM
    I know several people who got iPhones because the sales rep talked them into getting on and it was 0 dollars with a contract. In their defence, they like their iPhones.

I also know a few ppl who got. An iPhone after having BBs and they are waiting to be eligible for renewal to go back to a BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 05:38 PM
    I don't think people buy iPhones because they are cool, but rather because they have basic judgement skills and can see they're getting much more for the same price.
    Most consumer smartphone users put more thought into what brand of milk they buy at the grocers than they do into their most important and most personal of personal electronics purchases.

You give the average customer too much credit. They buy iPhones because of the myths about them. It's the same reason Macs are so popular in graphic design circles. (The myth: Macs are better for graphics. Obviously not true on technical grounds, but the myth persists and leads to sales.)

On the iPhone front, we have the myth that iPhones are "the best" (whatever that means) and the "easiest to use".

I won't touch "the best", but on the "easiest to use" front, it's VERY debatable (as any long time BB user will tell you). I personally find them to be both tedious and frustrating to use, even for the most basic tasks.

However, because the myth persists, if a user finds the iPhone to be difficult to use, they automatically assume that Android and BB phones must be even more difficult. Even worse, the tech press buys into the myth. There are countless articles comparing Android and BB phones to the iPhone that perpetuate the "easiest to use" myth without any basis -- just bold assertion. (There are some articles that make you think using a blackberry is equivalent to doing advanced calculus! All because of the "easiest to use" myth.)

I personally don't get it. Blackberry's have been king of the enterprise for a while -- with aging executives (who struggle with using a computer) quickly adapting to (and relying on) the blackberry. If the phone is easy enough for the computer illiterate to use, it must have an astonishingly well-designed UI.
    Jake Storm and maddie1128 like this.
    11-04-11 05:46 PM
    6 year BB user, couldn't wait on Rim any longer. iPhone 4 does everything better (including mail) I do miss my Bold keyboard. I hope Rim delivers on the Playbook promises or it's goodbye Playbook, hello IPad
    11-04-11 05:47 PM
    I know lots of people who bought BlackBerrys simple becuase is "BBM is really cool". They know nothing of BlackBerry security, business use, or anything like that. They only got one becuase their friends have one.
    11-04-11 09:40 PM
    I know lots of people who bought BlackBerrys simple becuase is "BBM is really cool". They know nothing of BlackBerry security, business use, or anything like that. They only got one becuase their friends have one.
    And how old are they?
    11-04-11 09:44 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD