I talked to a RIM source, a good friend of my sister's. This is what she told me, as of a couple of months ago.

She saw the prototype phone. According to her, it was touchscreen and very "iphone-ish". She didn't elaborate, I didn't ask more.

There have been problems with the development since QNX is not a mobile OS. Specifically, BES. If it was just simple email, RIM would have something ready for the Playbook already. Even push. But BES is proving to be tough, very tough. She didn't say if they reached a solution or not. I didn't ask.

The corporate culture seems to favour the engineering side as opposed to the "soft" HR or marketing. The latter two is somewhat perceived to be as less important wings of the company.

RIM has been starting to focus on BBX phone development in the summer

Anyhow, take this with a grain of salt. This is what she told me after some prodding on my part. Thought it would be interesting. Some of this is kinda known, but I thought I'd share.

As a side note, I used the 9900 today for the first time. LOVED the browser, which was an extremely pleasant surprise
    11-06-11 03:00 PM
    It's already been announced the first set of BBX phones will be full touchscreen... the video of the future released by RIM also showed only full touchscreen phones.
    11-06-11 03:28 PM
    i really don't like typing on glass. i'm not buying anything iPhone-ish. i better keep my 9900 in good shape then.
    11-06-11 04:14 PM
    i really don't like typing on glass. i'm not buying anything iPhone-ish. i better keep my 9900 in good shape then.
    Rim is sort of working on voice recognition. I don't know how extensive it will be, but it may allow you to just speak into a text field.
    11-06-11 04:19 PM
    That's a shame. I want same style with BBX OS. So essentially just like blackberry bold with BBX OS and updated hardware. Too bad they can't release that along with the iphone like smartphone.
    11-06-11 07:51 PM
    whats less than a grain of salt?
    11-06-11 08:10 PM
    RIM is like the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL: bankrupt of working ideas and full of empty promises. Oh wait a minute, Balsilie tried to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and that fell through, too.
    11-06-11 08:24 PM
    RIM is like the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL: bankrupt of working ideas and full of empty promises. Oh wait a minute, Balsilie tried to buy the Phoenix Coyotes and that fell through, too.

So did Winnipeg
    Last edited by sofakingcdn; 11-07-11 at 07:01 AM. Reason: quote
    11-06-11 08:42 PM
    Stunning insight, you should try upgrading your phone. You might not be so bitter!
    11-06-11 08:44 PM
    Rim is sort of working on voice recognition. I don't know how extensive it will be, but it may allow you to just speak into a text field.
    Vlingo already allows this, and its pretty good for talking into a text box and basic searching.

Not as good as Siri with searching/navigating the device though.
    11-06-11 09:46 PM
    I hope RIM doesn't make this BBX superphone like the iphone.

They really don't need to copy others because they have the ability to create a product with nice aesthetics. Just look at the PlayBook, I think it is the most best looking tablets out in the market.

RIM has to make a statement with this phone their own through the hardware, the software, and the appearance. Separate themselves from the competitors!
    11-06-11 11:12 PM
    Stunning insight, you should try upgrading your phone. You might not be so bitter!
    The phone I own has nothing to do with RIM's business model over the last number of years. I am not bitter, RIM's track record speaks for itself. And there is no denying that........
    11-07-11 07:25 AM
    Every one is saying this is rims last chance with bbx this and that they better do it and rim os gambling there future with qnx and on and on but no one has actually asked the big question
    What if they can't make bes and qnx work together ? We have heard the problems there having with it and it might of been the real reason for the big outage we had what then ??
    11-07-11 03:04 PM
    Every one is saying this is rims last chance with bbx this and that they better do it and rim os gambling there future with qnx and on and on but no one has actually asked the big question
    What if they can't make bes and qnx work together ? We have heard the problems there having with it and it might of been the real reason for the big outage we had what then ??
    They are screwed.
    11-07-11 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD