01-28-12 07:09 PM
84 1234
tools
    Also, BBX won't need buttons so...
    11-30-11 07:48 PM
    Changed the speaker mesh so now the device looks less "android-like" and made the bezel a little bit bigger making the device not look so wide.

Oh and added white versions
    12-01-11 12:14 AM
    saber is 1000000 better. No need for buttons i want a phone that doesnt look like a typical blackberry. My playbook doesnt have buttons, phone shouldnt either.
    Pootermobile likes this.
    12-01-11 01:06 AM
    Here is my idea for a BBX phone.
    I used the Playbook as the base for my images.
    I just threw the slider version together, didn't put much effort into it. ( ignore quality )
    And I am also no graphic designer ( please excuse quality )
    That looks good! Maybe a little too wide though to fit in a pocket.
    12-01-11 01:13 AM
    Changed the speaker mesh so now the device looks less "android-like" and made the bezel a little bit bigger making the device not look so wide.

Oh and added white versions
    Where's the picture?
    12-01-11 01:16 AM
    Where's the picture?
    Check the original post on the first page
    12-01-11 01:57 AM
    I'm digging it in white. :-)
    12-01-11 09:22 AM
    OMG. That is so sexy.
    12-01-11 11:49 AM
    im in love with the "Saber" Playbook like love the notification in the corner hope it looks something like that
    12-01-11 01:58 PM
    i seriously wish you worked as a device designer for RIM ...that white saber effin dope
    Pootermobile likes this.
    12-01-11 04:05 PM
    oops.. I pressed the enter key to quickly.. read below :P
    Last edited by zensen; 12-01-11 at 06:50 PM. Reason: internet sucks!
    Pootermobile likes this.
    12-01-11 06:35 PM
    I think your design skills are great but as a blackberry smartphone mockup, I can sum it up with one word, boring, sorry but you might as well grab one of the many android 4" screens out there and just put a blackberry logo on there. at least you kept the trackpad in one of the designs and I'm bias towards that, so you win me over with that.
    NOKIA is a good example of industrial design that differs from the rest, they just get a bad rap over in the US.

I guess it also comes down to what materials they use (will it feel strong but plastic or plastic and cheap etc etc)

Looks huge but I'm assuming it's meant to look like that but personally I hope they have some smaller touch devices in the end. I'll probably just go for a qwerty smartphone when they eventually release a bbx model.

Saber is a nice name so it probably could go with sleek lines and curves but still the name probably leans more to a male demographic. I dont even get what FS-1 suppose to stand for but prefer that model over the saber. FULL SCREEN 1? I dunno...

maybe work on a side and back profile because right now it looks pretty generic. any ideas on a qwerty design?
    Last edited by zensen; 12-01-11 at 06:56 PM. Reason: added more!
    12-01-11 06:49 PM
    I think your design skills are great but as a blackberry smartphone mockup, I can sum it up with one word, boring, sorry but you might as well grab one of the many android 4" screens out there and just put a blackberry logo on there. at least you kept the trackpad in one of the designs and I'm bias towards that, so you win me over with that.
    NOKIA is a good example of industrial design that differs from the rest, they just get a bad rap over in the US.

I guess it also comes down to what materials they use (will it feel strong but plastic or plastic and cheap etc etc)

Looks huge but I'm assuming it's meant to look like that but personally I hope they have some smaller touch devices in the end. I'll probably just go for a qwerty smartphone when they eventually release a bbx model.

Saber is a nice name so it probably could go with sleek lines and curves but still the name probably leans more to a male demographic. I dont even get what FS-1 suppose to stand for but prefer that model over the saber. FULL SCREEN 1? I dunno...

maybe work on a side and back profile because right now it looks pretty generic. any ideas on a qwerty design?
    FS means Flagship.
    12-02-11 01:14 AM

Thanks for your input I do agree with you that the design has to stand out from the rest so that when someone sees the device they say "hey that's a BlackBerry." That's why I said it the original post that this was a work in progress. I started the design with the premise that BBX phones would look like a small PlayBook but when I finished it looked to plain and too much like shrunken down PlayBook. And the more I looked at it and the more I read people's reaction the more I thought that the PlayBook's design was just that, for a tablet not for a phone.

It can be a bit difficult to design an all touch phone that doesn't look like one that is already out on the market, which is pretty much all the Android phones. I'll keep tweaking the designs so that they still have that BlackBerry flare and some other profiles like from the side and back. But I am obviously doing this when I have the time.

As for a qwerty design I will draw up something and hopefully post it up soon. I appreciate everyone's comments so keep em coming

p.s. the FS in FS-1 stands for "flagship" just a code name I made up to differentiate between each design I was going to be making.
    Last edited by Pootermobile; 12-02-11 at 04:07 PM.
    12-02-11 04:04 PM
    Very nice. The phone does look a bit wide though. I had the chance to hold and use the Motorola RAZR, but it felt very awkward to hold.

The widest that RIM will likely go is the width of the Bold 9900. I imagine the flagship BBX phone to resemble the 9900, replace the physical keyboard with the rest of the screen and 1-2 cm more for the bottom depending on whether they want to keep keys on it, or design it like the galaxy nexus.
    12-02-11 06:50 PM
    So I too thought it was a bit wide but this last week one of my fellow testers received a new Samsung device to test that is HUGE for a phone. It is somewhere between the dimensions of the larger current android phones and the playbook. It has a stylus and is thinner than the 9900... It was very impressive, it also has a 2600 mah battery....

You may not be far off of the trends with the size of this device but the fact that Samsung already has a similar device in testing means that RIM is behind.... Again...

PG
    12-03-11 10:15 AM
    So I too thought it was a bit wide but this last week one of my fellow testers received a new Samsung device to test that is HUGE for a phone. It is somewhere between the dimensions of the larger current android phones and the playbook. It has a stylus and is thinner than the 9900... It was very impressive, it also has a 2600 mah battery....

You may not be far off of the trends with the size of this device but the fact that Samsung already has a similar device in testing means that RIM is behind.... Again...

PG
    It's a catchup game for BlackBerry. The "phonblet" that you were referring to is still untested territory that BlackBerry should not compete in just yet. It may turn out to be another iPad/Playbook failure.
    12-03-11 03:40 PM

PG
    That sounds like the samsung galaxy note. I figured that would only get released internationally. As ridiculously huge as it sounds, I have a coworker that will probably be all over that.
    12-04-11 12:58 AM
    I might be tweaking the mockups a bit more and reduce the width. But my intention was never to make a Galaxy Note type of phone.
    12-09-11 07:44 PM
    I was messing around with a design for what a BBX device would maybe look like, or what I'd like it to look like. If you guys have any ideas or input feel free to leave a comment and I can maybe add it to the design

Click to view quoted image

I shall not criticize it design-wise, considering that all phones look identical nowadays, however, function-wise, this feels like a nightmare of being raped by a feathery T-Rex.
    12-12-11 08:47 AM
    I shall not criticize it design-wise, considering that all phones look identical nowadays, however, function-wise, this feels like a nightmare of being raped by a feathery T-Rex.

What do you mean by function-wise?
    12-12-11 09:26 PM
    What do you mean by function-wise?
    hardly noticeable LED
    buttons and trackpad do not fit proportionally with the device for 1 handed operation
    the call button is impossible to press unless you use both hands
    the receiver/speaker/whatever you call it is way to high on the device, you'll be covering only half of your ear with the device when using the phone, making it extremely hard to hear
    12-13-11 02:24 AM
    sweet design. the fs-1 about the same size as the 9900 would be awesome for me
    Pootermobile likes this.
    12-13-11 03:25 AM
    hardly noticeable LED
    buttons and trackpad do not fit proportionally with the device for 1 handed operation
    the call button is impossible to press unless you use both hands
    the receiver/speaker/whatever you call it is way to high on the device, you'll be covering only half of your ear with the device when using the phone, making it extremely hard to hear

You know you might be right about the speaker grill thing and the buttons. Thanks for the input. If I have some free time I'll keep tweaking the design.
    12-13-11 04:32 PM
    Added an image of what roughly the device would look like in the hand.
    12-13-11 06:01 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD