04-11-12 04:09 AM
61 123
tools
    Wait - what about the required 16:9 Aspect Ratio BB 10 phones are suppose to have? These mockups seem like wishful thinking.

RIM said (according to PC Mag) BB 10 phones will have this 16:9 aspect ratio so we're probably going to see some of these:

- 16:9 full touchcreen
    - 16:9 full touchscreen with vertical slider keyboard
    - 16:9 full touchscreen with a horizontal slider keyboard
    - 16:9 full touchcreen with a non-slider keyboard (similar to the Droid Pro)

The good news all PlayBooks apps will be compatible, the bad news is that if RIM does come up with a way to support different aspect ratios then App quality/resolution (like on Android) will begin to suffer or worst - app fragmentation, like the current BB OS.
    this is how i wish the new phones would look, according to my preference, even though i know prior to doing these RIM is aiming for 16:9.

For me the bold 9900 is the perfect size, so i dont want to go any bigger or smaller than that.

though droid pro doesnt look that bad, its screen is only 3:2. Having a portrait 16:9 screen with physical keyboard, while maintaining the usability of the keyboard and screen is a giant design hurdle that RIM would need to address if they truly wish to implement.
    01-06-12 03:04 AM
    Good ones you got here!
    Loved the first one you made, especially the back.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    01-19-12 11:14 AM
    That looks really good. I like the more squared look rather than the rounded look of the current bold line.
    01-20-12 09:44 AM
    alright, a while back a new london concept was leaked. so i tweaked it a little to incorporate a keyboard.
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 Device w/Physical KB Mockup (Just for fun)-1.jpg  
    02-04-12 02:59 AM
    i would buy that today, sign me up... 3 years
    02-19-12 11:43 PM
    alright, a while back a new london concept was leaked. so i tweaked it a little to incorporate a keyboard.
    No trackpad, don't like it!
    halw likes this.
    02-20-12 08:56 AM
    I'd buy that for a dollar. (The one with a trackpad).

Keyboards make a phone look good. So I hope the BB10 phone won't asthetically influence the way the actual keyboarded / Bold OS10 devices look, as the official bb10 is ugly.

Great work OP !
    02-20-12 09:10 AM
    I don't like the damn Torch. I'm quite satisfied with having a somewhat smaller screen in exchange for such a fantastic keyboard. I hope the mockup becomes real in some manner. Respects to the OP, glad someone else feels the same.
    02-20-12 10:12 AM
    the trackpad should be on the thumb (right) side!!
    02-23-12 12:44 PM
    whats the point of removing the trackpad and other 4 buttons there, if its still going to have those 4 buttons docked to teh bottom of the device anyway? just wondering not trying to be rude
    03-04-12 12:31 AM
    I thought about how nice it would be if the trackpad was on the right, but then remembered that left handed people would be left out. i mean they could adapt, but i know i wouldn't really want to have a trackpad on the left hand side of the device you know?
    03-04-12 12:34 AM
    whats the point of removing the trackpad and other 4 buttons there, if its still going to have those 4 buttons docked to teh bottom of the device anyway? just wondering not trying to be rude
    erm, i dont really understand what do you mean by the "4 buttons docked to the bottom of the device"???

On a side note:
    I have a lot of respect for the designers who did the bold 99XX. It is a brilliant piece of design. It's classy and elegant, yet provides excellent functionality and comfort. It has almost no compromise, other than the thinness of the device in exchange for a fixed focus camera and smaller battery. But even if the phone was 1 or 2 mm thicker, it would still look fantastic. IMO, its easier to make a full touch screen device look good.
    03-04-12 03:55 AM
    I have been trying for a very long time to put a 16:9 screen into the concept. But... I've never been satisfied with any of the outcome i've tried. But anyway, i decided to just do a mockup of some sort so you guys can give your opinion.

16:9 aspect ratio.
    Device is slightly wider than the Bold 99XX, but shorter.
    If you measure diagonally, it has the same screen size as the Bold 99XX.
    BUT... the screen real estate is still lesser than the bold 99XX. (a compromise that i hate to make just to accomodate 16:9. if you want the same real estate, the device would probably have to be Galaxy Note wide.)

I sincerely hope that the design team that did the Bold 99XX are the ones working on BB10 Nevada.
    03-04-12 04:03 AM
    I love the blackberry trackpad and keyboard. The keyboard of the bold devices of course. My favourite design would have to be of the Bold 9700. Best design ever. Hence my favourite Blackberry is currently the Bold 9790, but I still think that the leather back was a win.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-04-12 05:45 AM
    erm, i dont really understand what do you mean by the "4 buttons docked to the bottom of the device"???

On a side note:
    I have a lot of respect for the designers who did the bold 99XX. It is a brilliant piece of design. It's classy and elegant, yet provides excellent functionality and comfort. It has almost no compromise, other than the thinness of the device in exchange for a fixed focus camera and smaller battery. But even if the phone was 1 or 2 mm thicker, it would still look fantastic. IMO, its easier to make a full touch screen device look good.

The four buttons, call, end, menu, and back are still on the bottom of the screen on the device, as touch buttons. so there's really not much difference in screen space if the those four buttons are solid, or touchscreen. you know?
    03-04-12 04:37 PM
    The four buttons, call, end, menu, and back are still on the bottom of the screen on the device, as touch buttons. so there's really not much difference in screen space if the those four buttons are solid, or touchscreen. you know?
    ahh. i see.. got it. i still prefer to have physical buttons though, like the 9900. looks like touch, but actually its physical. I'm not sure how RIM is going to go about it, but i hope they keep the trackpad. On a screen that size it's going to be a challenge using it with just the touchscreen.
    03-04-12 07:29 PM
    ahh. i see.. got it. i still prefer to have physical buttons though, like the 9900. looks like touch, but actually its physical. I'm not sure how RIM is going to go about it, but i hope they keep the trackpad. On a screen that size it's going to be a challenge using it with just the touchscreen.
    yea, i agree completely with what your sayin. i'm so excited for bb10!
    03-04-12 07:40 PM
    wow that is a really great design for a BB10 Device w/Physical KB Mockup! If it were out now, id buy one right away! I sure hope they make this happen...
    03-05-12 12:42 AM
    I can't live without the trackpad, it makes navigating using one hand soooo much easier. Given it's a BB10 device, think there gotta be some space for bezel gestures?
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-06-12 11:48 AM
    Am I the only one that misses the track ball? I had a tour with a track ball that actually worked and I really liked it. The 8830 had such a nice track ball too.

Not saying that the track pad is bad.
    03-14-12 06:25 PM
    Just give me the Bold 9900 with a 3.5 inch tall screen like the Torch 9810.

This is the true Jesus phone.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-14-12 07:00 PM
    Just give me the Bold 9900 with a 3.5 inch tall screen like the Torch 9810.

This is the true Jesus phone.

I like this idea a lot. i mean if you think about it, iphones and like the galaxy are wayyyy bigger than the bold, so it wouldn't be too awful for the screen to be taller on the bolds I feel like.
    03-14-12 07:20 PM
    I like this idea a lot. i mean if you think about it, iphones and like the galaxy are wayyyy bigger than the bold, so it wouldn't be too awful for the screen to be taller on the bolds I feel like.
    how about a galaxy note-sized 5.3 inch bb with a keyboard. haha sorry, I'm kidding.
    FASHER likes this.
    03-15-12 02:17 PM
    Click to view quoted image

a tweaked version of "Milan" as i didn't really like the design of the bottom end. same size as the current Torch.
    i love the first one. that;s a home run.

03-22-12 12:47 AM
    haha. thanks for all the comments guys. and keeping this thread sort of still alive. i cooked something up recently that some of you might have already seen. it not a physical keyboard BB10 though.
    mithrazor likes this.
    03-23-12 01:16 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD