04-11-12 04:09 AM
61 123
tools
    Just messing around trying to come up with a look for the BB10 with physical keyboard as that is the BB10 phone that i'm really looking forward to. Drew inspiration from 'Milan' Slider and PlayBook. The PlayBook is the only device on QNX currently so i thought it would be nice if the new BB10 devices share similar design cues. I lifted the keyboard from the bold 99XX (best keyboard ever!) and made only very subtle changes to its design to suit the more squarish look of the device. The back is the same material as the PlayBook, grippy and doesn't leave much fingerprints.

I started with a version without the 'answer call, menu, trackpad, back and end call buttons, as i find the bezel gestures of the PlayBook quite nice to use.

Please don't mind my lousy photoshop skills.

with the running applications minimized. You can hardly see the application's preview screens at all on the small screen. Also the aspect ration of the screen will be rather squarish and not suitable for the camera resolutions and viewing pictures. If i change it to a longer screen, the top swipe down gesture will be almost impossible to use unless you have long thumbs. But well, it hard to say unless there's a physical device that i could try (maybe i'll give it a try squeezing in the portrait screen similar to the 9810 later). Also I didn't want to make it any wider as the bold 99XX in my opinion is just the right size for single hand usage, any wider it'd be hard to reach the other end of the keyboard.

Tried with the 5 buttons.

Comparison to Bold 99XX.

IMO, I love the keyboard on my 9900 right now, and i already have a playbook to bridge with it. So, i don't really have the need for a full touch screen device like 'London' or 'Milan'. Anything they can do, the PlayBook could do as well and on a bigger screen. Having a full touch screen phone and then a full touch screen tablet is rather pointless. Looking forward to see how RIM will incorporate BB10 into the Bold form factor.

Good day!
    12-23-11 08:17 PM
    This type of device is the only way I would come back from an iphone. This form with the larger screen due to the subtraction of the trac pad row of buttons is great. Now os side we need the productivity apps that we see on iphone(could care less about games) and full html emails. I don't want to have to hit get more and I want my emails to look just like they do on the computer! And I also want all my folders on my phone so I can move around and organize my emails! But I like what your thinking here! Think RIM will be smart enough to pull it off!
    12-25-11 11:22 AM
    Love the first design...this would make me think twice about the all touch bb10
    12-25-11 08:06 PM
    12-27-11 08:43 AM
    looks good. i agree they should remove the track pad/buttons to open up more screen real estate. I would like the screen between 3.2-3.4 inches, nothing less. I believe that is easily done by removing the buttons/trackpad, and be increasing the length of the device like the porsche p9981. Increase of the length will also help with a bigger battery size. Highly speced, between 9-9.5mm thin, you will have a huge hit. Make it a "super phone" rim!!!!!!!!!!
    12-27-11 09:10 AM
    Looks good. But I bet if RIM came out with that design. People will go crazy. Looks too plain-ish. Not "Whimsical and fun".

And the screen should be taller. Because RIM's shooting for similar aspect ratios for all their devices. 16:9.
    12-27-11 01:29 PM
    thanks for comments guys. regarding the aspect ratio, i do know that RIM is going for 16:9 for all their device, but i'm not exactly sure how they're going to pull it of in a Bold form factor. With a portrait screen, the swiping down gesture would be impossible to use with one hand, with the landscape the screen will be too small for proper viewing. The device would either look tall and skinny, or short and fat. haha. any ideas guys?
    12-27-11 02:02 PM

a tweaked version of "Milan" as i didn't really like the design of the bottom end. same size as the current Torch.
    12-27-11 02:16 PM
    This.
    Except the camera placement. Other than that, I love it!
    I feel like with a smaller screen, a trackpad would be needed.
    12-27-11 03:12 PM
    What is your thoughts on width/height of these,

my eyes are playing tricks on me, are they the same width as the 9900?

as for the over all design, I hate the one with no buttons, too Motorola Droid Pro ish, and such a major loss of function over the 5 key layout.

The bottom looks too square to comfortably hold in 1 hand, in the first post, but in post 4 I like the curvature on the bottom,
    The shift key and left alt key are too small with that curve you have going on, I'd follow the traditional BlackBerry styling of having the bottom row almost strait across while adding curvature the higher you go

something I'd like to see is actually the top speaker be the LED, I think the look of the speaker lighting up, possibly 2 LED's to give a kitt from Knight Rider look would just be amazing
    12-28-11 02:25 PM
    I personally am not a fan of all square design. If RIM would do it just like 9900 shape and form minus, the 5 buttons, I would be all over it.
    12-28-11 04:37 PM
    sharp eyes. its actually slightly wider than the 9900, probably about 4px in that picture. ;P I meant for it to be the same overall size though. i quite like the size of the current bold.
    12-28-11 06:49 PM
    I like! it will be perfect with my playbook eh
    12-28-11 08:47 PM
    I personally am not a fan of all square design. If RIM would do it just like 9900 shape and form minus, the 5 buttons, I would be all over it.
    I would love to see RIM release a non square phone

Bring back the Pearl but shaped like a "baby cookie"or (Baby mum mum) replace the square trackpad with a round shaped track pad, and each button be round, as few strait lines as possible, but with the same attention to detail rim puts into it's devices for comfort in the hand, and use,
    12-28-11 11:43 PM
    Click to view quoted image

a tweaked version of "Milan" as i didn't really like the design of the bottom end. same size as the current Torch.
    I actually LOVE the design of the bottom of the Milan.
    With this design you are offering it will just get lost into the maze of 'candy bars' out there.
    Plus the bevelled edges of the Milan allow the trademark curvature of the Blackberry keyboard to be accomodated without crowding out fingers space during typing.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-29-11 09:00 AM
    Very impressive, I pretty much like ALL of the designs, but my favorite is the one with the tracpad. If these could have been released on the original projected date, I would not be considering the 9930 at all. Maybe RIM will surprise us with a summer release. Remember to .....BeBold in 2012
    12-29-11 09:14 AM
    Great imagination and I like the photoshop skills...

However the 99xx form is much too wide already so I would prefer something along the width of the 9790 with the taller screen...

PG
    01-01-12 04:28 PM
    I like this mock up...... since BB10 is rumored to have a TAT UI.... I would love to see what that would look like on these phones
    01-02-12 12:19 PM
    Great imagination and I like the photoshop skills...

However the 99xx form is much too wide already so I would prefer something along the width of the 9790 with the taller screen...

PG

I would like to see a Slim bold as well approx 120 x 61 x 11.5 mm keyboard of the 9790 on it, but the stylings of the 9900 on the back a bit more with the thinning at the edge, beefier at the battery having the screen a full 10mm higher and having the 9860 resolution would give it an amazing pixel density and be able to run the same apps as the 9860, they could use battery placement to balance it out so it isn't as unbalanced as the Droid Pro+
    01-02-12 01:53 PM
    wow, love the first mock up. I have a feeling they'll make the bezel wider tho, reducing the screen size

since some people are 50/50 with the track pad/lack of track pad, they should have the now vacant swipe from bottom left introduce a virtual track pad... just saying
    01-03-12 04:57 PM
    But the screen size shouldnt be smaller than 3"!!! Everything else would be too small for BB10 I guess. So I dont see a trackpad and its not needed with BB10 either!
    Last edited by Smartie020; 01-03-12 at 05:27 PM.
    01-03-12 05:25 PM
    i guess to each his own. i kinda feel the 9900 is just nice for me. guess we'll just have to wait and see. still have more than a year to go i suppose.

I'm sort of neutral on the trackpad though. trackpad definitely makes navigation on a smaller screen size easier. Like when editing a document having a trackpad is definitely easier to use. Even on the playbook i find that selecting a specific point in a text is a little cumbersome. Or maybe RIM will figure a way to do without it. if the full screen BB10 is going to do without the trackpad, having a bold without a trackpad would tie in better with the overall product line design. that, we'll only know next year... maybe...
    01-03-12 05:56 PM
    I want a trackpad on my PlayBook, I couldn't imagine using a Bold device without a trackpad, and I don't want a virtual trackpad, if I wanted Virtual stuff I'd get a touchscreen phone, the candybar needs to be a tactile joy to use
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    01-03-12 06:00 PM
    Wait - what about the required 16:9 Aspect Ratio BB 10 phones are suppose to have? These mockups seem like wishful thinking.

RIM said (according to PC Mag) BB 10 phones will have this 16:9 aspect ratio so we're probably going to see some of these:

- 16:9 full touchcreen
    - 16:9 full touchscreen with vertical slider keyboard
    - 16:9 full touchscreen with a horizontal slider keyboard
    - 16:9 full touchcreen with a non-slider keyboard (similar to the Droid Pro)

The good news all PlayBooks apps will be compatible, the bad news is that if RIM does come up with a way to support different aspect ratios then App quality/resolution (like on Android) will begin to suffer or worst - app fragmentation, like the current BB OS.
    01-05-12 05:02 AM
    Wait - what about the required 16:9 Aspect Ratio BB 10 phones are suppose to have? These mockups seem like wishful thinking.

RIM said (according to PC Mag) BB 10 phones will have this 16:9 aspect ratio so we're probably going to see some of these:

- 16:9 full touchcreen
    - 16:9 full touchscreen with vertical slider keyboard
    - 16:9 full touchscreen with a horizontal slider keyboard
    - 16:9 full touchcreen with a non-slider keyboard (similar to the Droid Pro)

The good news all PlayBooks apps will be compatible, the bad news is that if RIM does come up with a way to support different aspect ratios then App quality/resolution (like on Android) will begin to suffer or worst - app fragmentation, like the current BB OS.
    Alec Saunders eluded to the fact QNX will support dynamic aspect ratio's the FIRST QNX phone will have a 16:9 ratio with the same resolution as the PlayBook (mind you that is thrown out since RIM has scraped the first 2 BBX phones, and pushed another one of them further back so we'll be seeing what should have been second generation devices as first gen devices.
    01-05-12 08:09 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD