Considering the BB10 range is apparently set to have a fixed resolution (to reduce errors between devices with different resolutions), what are we to expect of device size? The BB10 dev alpha has 356dpi, far above what I've seen on any phone and even further above what is required of the human eye, and on top of that, classic blackberries (bold, curve, etc.) have a much reduced screen size. If the screen size is to go from 4.2in to 2.8in, the screens are going to be harder to manufacture, perhaps more costly. I'm interested to see what the case is, and what other people think

Another possibility would be to further the torch line; have a large screen with a slider; probably not with a 4.2in screen, as the total height may be unwieldy (considering the dev alpha has a height rivalling the S2, and the additional length on the torch for a sliding keyboard increases the length even further).

What does everyone else think they'll do? I'm half wanting to see the 1280x768 on a 2.8in screen, but know that close to half the pixels may be above the maximum perceivable resolution
    Last edited by samuelwhatshisface; 05-02-12 at 10:36 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    05-02-12 10:34 AM
    IF they could make a droid 3 landscape slider that would be awesome
    the droid 3 has been my best android experience
    05-02-12 11:01 AM
    Considering the BB10 range is apparently set to have a fixed resolution (to reduce errors between devices with different resolutions), what are we to expect of device size? The BB10 dev alpha has 356dpi, far above what I've seen on any phone and even further above what is required of the human eye, and on top of that, classic blackberries (bold, curve, etc.) have a much reduced screen size. If the screen size is to go from 4.2in to 2.8in, the screens are going to be harder to manufacture, perhaps more costly. I'm interested to see what the case is, and what other people think

Another possibility would be to further the torch line; have a large screen with a slider; probably not with a 4.2in screen, as the total height may be unwieldy (considering the dev alpha has a height rivalling the S2, and the additional length on the torch for a sliding keyboard increases the length even further).

What does everyone else think they'll do? I'm half wanting to see the 1280x768 on a 2.8in screen, but know that close to half the pixels may be above the maximum perceivable resolution
    I can't imagine a 2.8in with 1280 X 768. Its just not practical or cost effective. Perhaps 800 X 480 instead. it still maintains the 15:9 aspect ratio, and gives a almost 333 ppi. But anyway, there's no point worrying about such stuff. Just chill and wait for RIM to announce it. I'm sure they'll find ways around it.
    05-02-12 07:04 PM
    I think people are reading too much into the few comments that have been made about resolutions, they might simply mean that such changes would be handled better e.g. by having all devices having either the same aspect ratio or horizontal resolution with the latter resulting in something along the lines of 1024x768 or maybe even 768x768.
    05-04-12 08:59 AM
    The problem isn't so much the various screen sizes/resolutions or even all the different form factors... the problem is with all the various CHIPSETS that have been used throughout the years... easily 2-3 different chipsets in the various models in any given year. THAT is the kind of madness that has to stop...
    05-05-12 01:01 AM

I've used a 4.3 inch screen phonee and it was too big for me. I'm hoping the screen is 4 or under.

If the all touch seems too big I'll just get the keyboard model. Love choices!
    05-05-12 01:17 AM
    The problem isn't so much the various screen sizes/resolutions or even all the different form factors... the problem is with all the various CHIPSETS that have been used throughout the years... easily 2-3 different chipsets in the various models in any given year. THAT is the kind of madness that has to stop...
    Not really since BB's were on the Java Virtual Machine. So the different chipsets shouldn't have mattered.
    05-05-12 01:58 AM
    Not really since BB's were on the Java Virtual Machine. So the different chipsets shouldn't have mattered.
    BUT what about all the different radio stacks that RIM has to code and continuously fine tune for each individual chipset? What about the fact that some chipsets that RIM has used support 3D graphics and others didn't? Those are bigger technical bugaboos than a garden variety Virtual Machine can surmount, methinks. Fewer chipsets = fewer problems...
    Last edited by Bobcat665; 05-05-12 at 05:55 PM.
    05-05-12 05:13 PM
    BUT what about all the different radio stacks that RIM has to code and continuously fine tune for each individual chipset? What about the fact that some chipsets that RIM has used support 3D graphics and others didn't? Those are bigger technical bugaboos than a garden variety Virtual Machine can surmount, methinks. Fewer chipsets = fewer problems...
    Wait are we talking about fragmentation for developers or fragmentation in general? lol
    05-06-12 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD