Has anyone been wondering what BB10 qwerty models will look like? In recent interviews with Alec Sanders and some other guys from RIM it has been said that they will make all BB10 models with same aspect ratio. It is great idea for the eco system, it simplifies application development and it gives BB great advantage if many of the applications can be used across various models but I can't help but wonder what would qwerty (traditionally 4:3 screen) models look like with 16:9 screens fitted on. They would have to be either really wide or have screens in portrait and that would be kind of weird IMO.

Would it make sense for you guys to have qwerty models stick with traditional 4:3 screen?
    I personally would prefer to have BB10 qwerty models with 4:3.

PS somebody correct me if I'm misunderstanding acpect ratio concept.
    03-02-12 07:26 PM
    Yeah, having the screens all the same aspect ratio would really help the app environment. I guess the qwerty phone could be a slider held landscape mode rather than its done with the current torch.
    03-02-12 07:33 PM
    i think OP meant BB10 phone with the form factor of the bold, not a slider. I've been wondering about that ever since i heard the 16:9 aspect ration. and trying to imagine and photoshop something that would look decent, and has a bigger screen than the current bold 9900. The only plausible way would be in landscape, since portrait will no doubt be too long. Still working on that photoshop after all these months. hahaha. i would bet a pound that it would definitely be wider. haha.
    03-02-12 08:15 PM
    OK, just think of the bold and cut the height if the screen in half and you'll get an idea if 16:9 on a bold.
    bmw328i likes this.
    03-02-12 09:28 PM
    well, i gave it a shot.............................................. ............... i dont really know what to say...... hahaha.

16:9 aspect ratio.
    Device is slightly wider than the Bold 99XX, but shorter.
    If you measure diagonally, it has the same screen size as the Bold 99XX.
    BUT... the screen real estate is still lesser than the bold 99XX. (a compromise that i hate to make just to accomodate 16:9. if you want the same real estate, the device would probably have to be Galaxy Note wide.)
    03-04-12 04:05 AM
    I hope this hurdle isn't the reason they might only launch 1 device this year (full touch London). 2 questions, i wonder if RIM would ever revisit the 850/950 models with full screens and full touch. Also i know Saunders said that they would have the same aspect ratio and that the apps would scale, so i wonder if the final screen size would remove the playbook virtual keyboard portion when held in portrait and replace it with the physical qwerty, probably not going to happen but that would reduce the disproportional screen size.
    03-14-12 03:39 PM
    Alex. You've done some great work here. Accommodating the 16:9 aspect ratio appears absurd given most BB users preference for a Bold 99** non-slider QWERT device, but if BB10 has to have the 16:9 ratio then, I'd go with your latest incarnation. To me it's still better than a slider.
    03-19-12 09:04 AM
    Maybe the aspect ratio comment could apply to the actual phone and not just the screen?
    03-19-12 11:55 AM
    16:9 aspect ratio works great on all touch screen and slider phones, but once you try to make a bold style phone, it just doesn't work right as you would be limiting your screen real estate even more. I think a 4:3 would work much better, but then rim would have to make it a requirement that all apps support those two aspect ratios.
    03-27-12 01:55 PM
    16:9 aspect ratio works great on all touch screen and slider phones, but once you try to make a bold style phone, it just doesn't work right as you would be limiting your screen real estate even more. I think a 4:3 would work much better, but then rim would have to make it a requirement that all apps support those two aspect ratios.
    16:9 would work on a Bold style phone. Because I'm pretty sure the gestures are going to replace the 4 buttons. So that will give more room for screen.
    03-27-12 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD