10-13-12 09:31 AM
119 ... 2345
tools
    Olukunlea : Bottom line QNX with all its luscious glory without a solid Advertising and a deep PR fix will just be another disaster. I would be completely gutted if RIM dies and i mean that!

What happened was the opposite with rim... all hype but it doesn't deliver. For example, this glorious QNX then called BBX then BB10 has changed names a few times. still we have no taste of it as a mobile user. They have set the expectation too damn high.. then just disappoint with late deliveries and excuses. Its not only advertising problem.. Its misrepresentation of facts in a massive scale. Fix it RIM.

Learn from apple. Ipad3 is going to be out with no announcement whatsoever. but plenty or rumours.. play with it, make it sexy. Never promise, set the expectation medium while keeping the momentum with contradictory rumours, then exceed and excel in a climax event.
    Last edited by guzprom; 03-02-12 at 07:29 AM.
    purijagmohan and fanatical like this.
    03-02-12 07:25 AM
    @guzprom: Learn from apple. Ipad3 is going to be out with no announcement whatsoever. but plenty or rumours.. play with it, make it sexy. Never promise, set the expectation medium while keeping the momentum with contradictory rumours, then exceed and excel in a climax event.

My point exactly PR driven rumours, where do rumours originate if not blogs, e-magazines, magazines and other PR vehicles, never any noise its that ever so subtle and ever believable method of getting people to make the noise for you. Apple, always the same strategy, the buzz is in the mystery, the silence, expectations drive people into a frenzy such that its sold before it comes out. Speculations of specs in engadget, gizmodo says something else, will it be this or that, its all about the PR.

That is however assuming all things are equal in terms of the delivery of the product just like you said.

The point i believe is this, with all the wonders of QNX, people have already formed opinions about blackberry and RIM based on their past screw ups, they need to engage some PR cleanup (damage control) and start now otherwise it will be an uphill task to get people to adopt BB's massively.
    Last edited by Olukunlea; 03-02-12 at 07:52 AM.
    03-02-12 07:49 AM
    Actually, I can sit on my IPad and iMessage my friend, then pick up my iPhone as i'm leaving the house and continue that same convo on my iPhone in a threaded message. Or I can take a photo on my phone and in minutes its on my iPad. Then in Adobe photoshop on my tablet edit the image and uploaded to FB. All that in minutes.

So bridge and photo on are really not that new and other companies are already doing this with the cloud.

I'm not seeing anything new being brought to the table in BB10. Other than the NFC stuff they were showing off at MWC12 now that was AWESOME
    Having used iMessage I'm unimpressed. I don't think Apple thought it through and it was more of just an answer to BBM that was poorly executed. Its kinda strange texts go to my ditched iPhone if its connected to wifi. That doesn't seem right.

I guess you can find similar ways to do most things with different platforms.

I'm with missing K-W and their enthusiam for BB and QNX. RIM seems to be trying hard and are bringing something different and new to the table. I keep hearing people keep saying RIM needs to bring it out now, but if they really did I think they would. Whenever they do come out with the BB10 phones if they are truely impressive people will buy them. Word of mouth is always the best advertising. I don't see myself buying a BB10 device right away though cause I just upgraded.
    03-02-12 07:57 AM
    Yes! absolutely! RIM should come in here and learn a thing or two from some of us here who actually have their interest in mind and giving constructive inputs
    The phones are already great products WITHOUT QNX. They should have surprised us without anouncing BBX etc .. no suspense only anti-climatic defensiveness from director/managements on late roll out or incomplete product.. such a pity..
    heri16 likes this.
    03-02-12 08:06 AM
    Jesus, it's this type of patting on the back that got RIM in trouble in the first place. I don't praise RIM and you shouldn't either. They need to get their asses in gear and get a new PHONE to the market ASAP.

BB10 an achievement?? It hasn't even been released on a phone yet. By the time it does will anyone care?
    i don't think people are patting anyone on the back right now.. just stating what they feel as developers (most of them).. i don't understand half the stuff they are talking about, but it seems like RIM is doing something right to win some developers with what they have.. are they there yet? no.. but if they are at least attempting to try and give the proper tools then it's better then just saying what they have is the best and sit back thinking they have everything in order..

are u a dev? do u know what achievements have been made in the last 2 years? do u even know what QNX is? do u know whats involved in making a new OS..

people say they are modifying their old os.. but with new hardware and new kernal to make it work with their new infrastructure is a lot of work.. and to create something and make it work properly might take a bit of time.. maybe a little more then us consumers would like to wait..

it's not like playing LEGO where you put together parts and it magically works!

I have a friend who is a BT engineer and it takes A LOT of trial and error with a lot algorithms to make sure YOU as a user will have no problems... BT connection seems easy right? try doing it from scratch with NEW hardware, NEW code, NEW everything... see how long it takes u!
    recompile, kbz1960 and Pdinos3 like this.
    03-02-12 08:58 AM
    Olukunlea : Bottom line QNX with all its luscious glory without a solid Advertising and a deep PR fix will just be another disaster. I would be completely gutted if RIM dies and i mean that!

What happened was the opposite with rim... all hype but it doesn't deliver. For example, this glorious QNX then called BBX then BB10 has changed names a few times. still we have no taste of it as a mobile user. They have set the expectation too damn high.. then just disappoint with late deliveries and excuses. Its not only advertising problem.. Its misrepresentation of facts in a massive scale. Fix it RIM.

Learn from apple. Ipad3 is going to be out with no announcement whatsoever. but plenty or rumours.. play with it, make it sexy. Never promise, set the expectation medium while keeping the momentum with contradictory rumours, then exceed and excel in a climax event.
    I, for one, see positive moves in this direction. What you are advocating is what they did with OS 2.0, to some degree. They didn't say much about what was going into 2.0 until CES, where they made the official announcement. There are a lot of people (including myself) with all that has gone into 2.0. The feature list is impressive and a lot of the really cool stuff didn't leak. Open On..., Print To Go, Social Inbox, Tabbed Email, to name a few were a surprise.

I do agree that they should have made a bigger deal of the 2.0 launch. They should have held a press event with a live presentation. Showing off off live the Remote Control, Tabbed Email, and even something as simple as folders I think would have generated more buzz in the mainstream media. As such, only the tech community and current PB owners really followed the event.
    03-02-12 09:31 AM
    I don't have arguments. I'm sharing my enthusiasm based on where we were....Where we are and where we are headed.
    I remember you touting all the wonderful features of QNX in full force before the Playbook actually was released, and how you felt it was going to be so amazing and revolutionary. Then..once the Playbook dropped, and RIM couldn't even get basics working on it, you kind of faded into the background.

You seem to be back in full force again..trying to hype up BB10 and "all it's amazing potential". But no matter how "amazing" QNX may be..don't forget who seems to be in charge of it's development. RIM. The company who took almost a full year to get basic functions on this "amazing" piece of technology in the PB. A company who, despite hyping the PB for almost a full year before release, released their product with hardly any interest from developers..and the lack of apps is STILL apparent a year later.

IMO, while QNX may be a great software..it's what the people who are in control of it are doing with it which will make or break it. And unfortunately..I still have yet to see anything for the average consumer that is going to set RIM apart and have them "leapfrogging" anyone.
    03-02-12 09:40 AM
    just stating what they feel as developers (most of them).. i don't understand half the stuff they are talking about
    Don't feel too bad. If this thread is any indication, they don't understand half the stuff they're talking about either

Really, it's just a way to spread doubt without offering anything of substance. It's a special kind of advanced trolling.

They know that asking questions like "What advantages does RIM's X have over Androids Y" are extraordinarily difficult to answer in a forum post -- not because there are no advantages, but because it's difficult to succinctly articulate them. The trolls also know that they can pick on minute and irrelevant details from any response and the non-developers won't be able to tell -- they'll see the large advantages as subtle or debatable even when they're not. Equally, they know full-well that the parent is likely to get sucked into a pointless debate over these tiny nothings, further clouding the issues.

Besides, if they were actually familiar RIM's development tools and platforms they wouldn't actually need to ask basic questions about them, would they?

We need another round of "taking out the trolling trash".
    03-02-12 09:42 AM
    i don't think people are patting anyone on the back right now.. just stating what they feel as developers (most of them).. i don't understand half the stuff they are talking about, but it seems like RIM is doing something right to win some developers with what they have.. are they there yet? no.. but if they are at least attempting to try and give the proper tools then it's better then just saying what they have is the best and sit back thinking they have everything in order..

are u a dev? do u know what achievements have been made in the last 2 years? do u even know what QNX is? do u know whats involved in making a new OS..

people say they are modifying their old os.. but with new hardware and new kernal to make it work with their new infrastructure is a lot of work.. and to create something and make it work properly might take a bit of time.. maybe a little more then us consumers would like to wait..

it's not like playing LEGO where you put together parts and it magically works!

I have a friend who is a BT engineer and it takes A LOT of trial and error with a lot algorithms to make sure YOU as a user will have no problems... BT connection seems easy right? try doing it from scratch with NEW hardware, NEW code, NEW everything... see how long it takes u!
    It may be true that it takes time, but if a company knows the state of their market presence, wouldn't you assume they work on a project that may be less...idk...time consuming? So not only does consumers have to wait for what's to come, but it damn better be as good as they say, which honestly is gonna be hard to live up to.

At what point does the price of time outwiegh the worth of the product? I believe the answer is 2 years...

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    03-02-12 10:00 AM
    Don't feel too bad. If this thread is any indication, they don't understand half the stuff they're talking about either

Really, it's just a way to spread doubt without offering anything of substance. It's a special kind of advanced trolling.

They know that asking questions like "What advantages does RIM's X have over Androids Y" are extraordinarily difficult to answer in a forum post -- not because there are no advantages, but because it's difficult to succinctly articulate them. The trolls also know that they can pick on minute and irrelevant details from any response and the non-developers won't be able to tell -- they'll see the large advantages as subtle or debatable even when they're not. Equally, they know full-well that the parent is likely to get sucked into a pointless debate over these tiny nothings, further clouding the issues.

Besides, if they were actually familiar RIM's development tools and platforms they wouldn't actually need to ask basic questions about them, would they?

We need another round of "taking out the trolling trash".
    I don't really think there's a single post in this thread that could be deemed "trolling". I believe its neccesasry for some to provide a certain amount of constructive crticism for every mindless optimist.

Constructive criticism =/= trolling

No one is out to get anyone.

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    03-02-12 10:07 AM
    Constructive criticism =/= trolling
    I agree. Constructive criticism is not trolling. Of course, you'll notice that I'm decidedly NOT talking about constructive criticism -- or even grounded criticism! I'm talking about the trolls spreading uncertainty and doubt without offering any substantive criticism. In my example, I show how merely asking a question accomplishes this particular troll goal.

Read my post again, then re-read this thread and you'll see what I'm actually talking about.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    03-02-12 10:11 AM
    I'm a tech enthusiast and the only knowledge I obtain is through my enthusiasm and observations and by no means am I an expert...I don't have a computer sciences background in order to go into technical analysis.
    As much as i am rooting for RIM and want to believe everything you say to be true, you basically just pointed out that you cannot confirm firsthand what you are speaking of.
    We have app developers on the one hand who claim these tools are not as good as you described then you on the other hand; that has no real experience using these tools, touting them to be eons above the competition's.

Still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping these tools are as good as you claim they are but your argument is not holding much water right about now
    03-02-12 10:31 AM
    Well yeah, trolls are evrywhere. I made a thread to help ignore their views in 9900 subthread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...9930-a-672695/
    I just ask them what they are doing here. I for one wanna know more about rim and give some constructive feedback and ignore the lesser troll while question their purpuse to the agressive one. If possible.
    03-02-12 10:39 AM
    Numbers is the name of the game...and numbers are in.

65% of Americans now uses a smart phone. In pure numbers this means that more or less 100 millions users in the states....less than a month worth of activation for smart phones.

American publications,like it's people,tend to see the world as an extention of themselves...witch is increasingly false. IOS is today's GM of technology...it's about fast money...big returns...big biness. It is also,as an os, it's corvair or its Vega and if it's fans continues to see it as the only REAL os it will follow the same path ultimately.Yesterday most American tech publications where touting Apple as being worth more than Taiwan and the entire coffee industry...witch is false...using random numbers taken out of context. This is...propaganda at its best for a population that needs good news.

As it stands...IOS and ANDROID are yesterday news being exploited to its limits using the affordable and plentiful basin of lazy programmers while in the backgrounds,the real ones are working on the future needs of the hardware to come.

So tired to see this GLOBAL society looking down such a small spectrum dictated by that 1% economy.

A few names for those unconditionals:. Nortel...General Motors...Toyota...Enron...Kmart...Kodak.
    missing_K-W and shupor like this.
    03-02-12 10:39 AM
    I agree. Constructive criticism is not trolling. Of course, you'll notice that I'm decidedly NOT talking about constructive criticism -- or even grounded criticism! I'm talking about the trolls spreading uncertainty and doubt without offering any substantive criticism. In my example, I show how merely asking a question accomplishes this particular troll goal.

Read my post again, then re-read this thread and you'll see what I'm actually talking about.
    I completely agree and I am aware of the subtle and indirect nature of what goes on under the radar....I just hope these people contribute more in their own lives....To themselves and society in general then they do to the forum community.
    03-02-12 10:45 AM
    Probably one or two minor trolls.. Go to 9900 thread.. Its all either real grievance about bricking or trolls.. It was a mess.. I would like to say i play a part in cleaning them up. All i did was show them the thread...
    missing_K-W and kennyliu like this.
    03-02-12 10:54 AM
    With all this device power I would like to know when the ability to sync my 9850 calendar with my PB will happen? Are those of us who may not JUMP to the BB10 be left out/behind regarding OS upgrades and interaction functions with the PB?

These are great talking points and technical eye openers regarding competition and going forward. But for the PRESENT what is RIM doing to make the current models rock solid to compete and maintain or grow customer loyalty and support? Does BB10 need to be out in order for some of the TAT features seen to work or be out on the PB?

Just observations.....
    03-02-12 11:01 AM
    As much as i am rooting for RIM and want to believe everything you say to be true, you basically just pointed out that you cannot confirm firsthand what you are speaking of.
    We have app developers on the one hand who claim these tools are not as good as you described then you on the other hand; that has no real experience using these tools, touting them to be eons above the competition's.

Still keeping my fingers crossed and hoping these tools are as good as you claim they are but your argument is not holding much water right about now
    Many developers don't have a formal background with a deep computer sciences awareness. I have observed many developers being rather impressed with RIM's development tools. Some devs aren't as thrilled. I have noticed a really positive trend coming from the Android community who are very impressed with the direction RIM is taking and the current development state of the platform. These of course are people that were completely unaware prior to the past couple months. The net is full of positive comments.

RIM supports many SDK's....We have to look at the bigger picture as certain developers may not be interested in HTML5 for example. They may have a need for Cascades within the NDK. We hear different options based on unique needs and experiences. The pieces are steadily falling in place. What one developer lacks in the NDK, anothers needs are met through Adobe Air, WebWorks etc.

Once Cascades drops a lot of developers frustrations will be alleviated.

It boils down to whether a developer wants to compete in a saturated market? Or contribute to the BB platform and earn more money per capita on a less saturated market with increased likelihood of content discovery and revenue. IMHO it boils down to whether you want to make money or not. It's like anything in life. Buck up, deal with it and make money. Many developers are exploiting the current state of affairs and earning an abundance of income.

It boils down to whether you are willing to be a proactive or passive participant. Mature SDK's and an infant platform contradict each other currently. BB10's imminent release will correspond with an influx of API's that have to remain void currently due to vertical and lateral integration. QNX is POSIX certified(this is often times understated), supporting 100's of libraries and an abundance of API's. If you follow the BlackBerry Developers Blog. RIM is introducing new support on a daily basis, evolving quickly.
    shupor, heri16 and recompile like this.
    03-02-12 11:20 AM
    About trolls,

We are all somebody's troll...I like trolls...it's the basis for dialogue as opposed to monologue.Even if sometimes it irritates....it is still much better than having to confront someone who can barely spot its own country on a global map.

It is...intelligence expressing itself...and it's okay.

Sometimes,you have to take a ride in a Lada...To be able to drive your Honda,thinking it's a Mercedes...
    kennyliu likes this.
    03-02-12 11:48 AM
    I am thoroughly enjoying this thread especially as someone with a computing background, all interesting comments and I agree with the guy above who said we need a little trolling to keep things balanced.
    03-02-12 12:03 PM
    Yeap, agreed.. A little trolling is fine.. major ones tho, are unwelcome.
    My background is technical as well, lots of software courses like OS and OOP.. So, thus my detailed questions
    03-02-12 01:44 PM
    missing_K-W, since you're very knowledgeable in this area. I am not being facetious, here. Please educate me and others how QNX is different or more powerful than other POSIX-compliant OSes:

A/UX
    AIX
    BSD/OS
    DSPnano
    HP-UX
    INTEGRITY
    IRIX
    LynxOS
    Mac OS X
    MINIX
    MPE/iX
    QNX
    RTEMS
    Solaris
    Tru64
    Unison RTOS
    UnixWare
    velOSity
    VxWorks
    I'm a tech enthusiast and the only knowledge I obtain is through my enthusiasm and observations and by no means am I an expert...I don't have a computer sciences background in order to go into technical analysis.

QNX by design and architecture does allow a developer. RIM in this case to develop a fully customizable power management solution targeting specific hardware. This allows RIM to have FULL control over the power management of the system.

A user experiences the selective power management through intensive applications running in parallel. What I find impressive about the power management, is the ability to fully close applications and restart applications many times over the course of a charge and minimally impact the battery. iOS and Android keep background apps in memory in order to maximize battery life. This isn't the case with Tablet 2.0 which actually requires more from the battery to start applications. Making the battery life even more impressive IMHO. Once RIM opens up services to 3rd party devs, we may in fact see increased between charge life. Given how PB is able to conduct such intensive multitasking and preserve battery life is rather impressive.

With the RTOS QNX provides. The ability to customize, target hardware , and adapt for power management is what really sets this apart. This is of course by design and architecture.

Other OS's simply don't allow for custom power management to the same extent QNX allows for. RIM can highly customize based on hardware and the targeted end result they are seeking. Custom power management is a real ace here. IMHO as battery technology allows for longer battery life. RIM will be able to customize the platforms power management selectively allowing to increase performance with out having to alter the state of the platform.

What we as an end user experience are more performance and capabilities.

As far as being POSIX certified.....This just allows for comprehensive API support.
    Sorry, but I feel maybe I should step in to explain. Hard real-time OS is not really a big thing. Even linux have kernel extensions to do such things, which I personally have used to create voice call routing systems (which needs to super-multitask with zero-lag).

What's great and unique about QNX is that it is both a Real-time OS, and a Micro-kernel OS. Micro-kernel OS keeps everything separate, providing high security and allowing high stability as even drivers cannot take-down the core when they crash (allowing the core to restart just about anything without rebooting). That is why QNX is so popular in military circles to power even the aviation systems dashboards/controls and why FIPS government-security certification was a no brainer. (Also: BOEING next-gen aircrafts - Go read more on wikipedia).

Wonder why Blackberry Playbook OTA update is so easy and fundamentally awesome? It's the same principles of QNX microkernel which enabled this. And no, there is no other company out there which has a viable and proven Realtime+Mircrokernel alternative, which should give us "Insanely Stable & Smooth Multitasking". (No it has nothing to do with battery life.)

My only worry is that blackberry is making QNX's power and potential dumbed down. By right the Playbook OS 2.0 OTA update should not have required a restart/reboot (if they used a true microkernel updating). NO REBOOT UPDATES! Isn't that brain-wrecking or what?

Now... what does all these means to app developers? Other than an amazing technical feat, absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by heri16; 03-04-12 at 07:41 AM.
    03-02-12 02:20 PM
    Just want to note, that I have been a BlackBerry developer for the last 5 years and I am a huge RIM fan boi. I will defend them at every corner and turn, however, your forum post makes no sense - you must be using some secret RIM technology that I don't have access to.

What I find that is incredible is how POWERFUL the dev tools are becoming and just how quickly an app can be developed.
    You and I must be using different development environments.

First off, the NDK provides absolutely zero user interface abilities, and is no where as easy as Apple's development platform. These tools are not powerful. Yes, they literally provide a blank canvas. But... they LITERALLY provide a blank canvas. The user interface for BlackBerry app's takes 60 to 70% of all development time.

We don't even know what TAT does, what it looks like or what it provides, as it's still in closed beta.

RIM has the luxury of being able to develop at an accelerated pace to that of the competition. Look only to how streamlined the 3rd party devs environment is becoming , how efficient and how quickly a dev can develop or port an app. If you believe this is impressive......Just become aware of how rapidly RIM in house devs can develop BB10 at a lightning fast pace
    protected void paint(Graphics graphics)
    {

I have a team of 4 developers, and have done multiple BlackBerry / iPhone and Android projects. I have even contracted some major apps, that you have probably used, for RIM itself.

I can safely, 100% say, that developing on the BlackBerry platform takes between 2 and 3 times as long as any other platform currently available, including PlayBook (aka, BB10).

/* paint function inside DEV joke */

}

It's just mind boggling how quickly and powerfuly QNX allows for RIM to develop. The sheer magnitude and turn around time of this project is just amazing IMHO.
    Are you and I using the same PlayBook? The turn around time is ridiculously awful. The Beta for the PlayBook was almost identical to the latest 2.0 release, and it was at least 6 months old. The only thing it added was native email, calendar and contacts. Everything else could have been released 6 months ago.

In your humble opinion....what do you find impressive?
    About this forum post? Nothing.

I love RIM, and I hope (and know) they will be successful with BB10, but your forum post is based on "facts" that I'm not currently aware of.
    Last edited by footose; 03-02-12 at 02:28 PM.
    03-02-12 02:22 PM
    Just want to note, that I have been a BlackBerry developer for the last 5 years and I am a huge RIM fan boi. I will defend them at every corner and turn, however, your forum post makes no sense - you must be using some secret RIM technology that I don't have access to.

You and I must be using different development environments.

First off, the NDK provides absolutely zero user interface abilities, and is no where as easy as Apple's development platform. These tools are not powerful. Yes, they literally provide a blank canvas. But... they LITERALLY provide a blank canvas. The user interface for BlackBerry app's takes 60 to 70% of all development time.

We don't even know what TAT does, what it looks like or what it provides, as it's still in closed beta.

protected void paint(Graphics graphics)
    {

I have a team of 4 developers, and have done multiple BlackBerry / iPhone and Android projects. I have even contracted some major apps, that you have probably used, for RIM itself.

I can safely, 100% say, that developing on the BlackBerry platform takes between 2 and 3 times as long as any other platform currently available, including PlayBook (aka, BB10).

/* paint function inside DEV joke */

}

Are you and I using the same PlayBook? The turn around time is ridiculously awful. The Beta for the PlayBook was almost identical to the latest 2.0 release, and it was at least 6 months old. The only thing it added was native email, calendar and contacts. Everything else could have been released 6 months ago.

About this forum post? Nothing.

I love RIM, and I hope (and know) they will be successful with BB10, but your forum post is based on "facts" that I'm not currently aware of.
    I really like how you put it footose. It's right on the spot. You should read my other posts on this thread too. We should really become friends and rally together. I tipped your post so hopefully you will appear on the main blog, so alec_saunders and team will notice the tragedy.
    missing_K-W and footose like this.
    03-02-12 02:33 PM
    @Heri16 &footose

Your combined knowledge is of an endearing quality. I especially like how this thread became the catalyst to bring some attention to Alec Saunders in a really nicely outlined context.

Not having Cascades available is leaving a sour taste in the mouths of certain devs and compounding the workload.

I really hope that RIM turns Cascades into an effortless turnkey affair. I believe with proper execution development time can drastically be reduced as well as up the potential for content distribution, allowing for visually stunning user experiences leaving the end user wanting more.

If RIM executes Cascades properly. A developer can push the boundaries of creativity and bring the user experience to a state of wanting more. An end user should really have an experience as opposed to just consuming content.

2.0 wasn't intended to be a BB10 show piece. It has been clearly stated by RIM it is the foundation of BB10. 2.0 isn't a revolution just an evolution.

I am by no means naive to to lack of GUI components in the NDK. This is currently the Achilles Heel of the platform.
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 03-02-12 at 03:03 PM.
    03-02-12 02:47 PM
119 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD