Hey Crackberry,

I am new to these forums and I have an important decision to make. I have reached my one-year upgrade eligibility point with Sprint, and I am torn between these three phones.

I was originally sold on getting the Tour ... hands down ... but after seeing it in person i'm not so impressed. Its like a smaller version of the Bold and I wish the Tour was about the same size as the Bold. But I heard the Tour was great and I need a BB because that's how I primarily connect to the net from my home. I am not able to get "real" internet service right now (i.e. FiOS or Comcast) so my BB has been my saving grace.

On the other hand, I am really loving the HTC Tour Pro 2 and the new Samsung Moment android phone, which is coming out Nov. 1. Most reviews of the Moment are generally positive but the edge is given to the HTC. The only edge the Moment has is pricing and the fact the Moment will have an AMOLED display.

So, i'm assuming the most on here will be partial towards BlackBerry, but if there are some people with a strong knowledge of phones who aren't biased towards BB, I would appreciate some input and help on making my decision. Thank you.
    10-25-09 07:50 PM
    I have both the Tocu Pro 2 and the 8900 BlackBerry in use right now on two of my lines. I am not really sure, even now, which phone I prefer using overall. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

The BlackBerry gives me a more integrated and immediate messaging experience. Of course I can have more push email accounts set up at one time. But BlackBerry Messenger, the impressive Facebook integration, and the ease of accessing all messaging functions is not matched by Windows Mobile. I even count the charging pod as a great feature as it really lets me use the BlackBerry as my alarm clock. Another one is the Password Keeper on the BlackBerry. Love it!

However, the Touch Pro 2 gives me that high resolution screen, touchscreen at that, the same Exchange email speed with better folder access on Exchange, better calendar program, better task management, a MUCH better web browser (barely even a comparison), louder and easier speakerphone, and I find that I tend to reach for it first when I need to do anything other than send a BBM message or access Facebook.

In fact, if the Touch Pro 2 could have BlackBerry Messenger and Facebook applications that match what is on the BlackBerry I would not still own the 8900. That is something I kind of realized as I am typing this...on the Touch Pro 2. The battery life on the Touch Pro 2 is excellent but I do have to charge it every day. I find that I use the phone more than I do when I just have the BlackBerry. I pick it up to browse the web instead of my computer. I just finished taking notes with it at a conference I attended.

It is all about preference and I am finding that with two phone lines and both phones available whenever I want them I pick up the Touch Pro 2 first pretty much every day.
    10-26-09 01:18 AM
    I have both the Tocu Pro 2 and the 8900 BlackBerry in use right now on two of my lines. I am not really sure, even now, which phone I prefer using overall. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

The BlackBerry gives me a more integrated and immediate messaging experience. Of course I can have more push email accounts set up at one time. But BlackBerry Messenger, the impressive Facebook integration, and the ease of accessing all messaging functions is not matched by Windows Mobile. I even count the charging pod as a great feature as it really lets me use the BlackBerry as my alarm clock. Another one is the Password Keeper on the BlackBerry. Love it!

However, the Touch Pro 2 gives me that high resolution screen, touchscreen at that, the same Exchange email speed with better folder access on Exchange, better calendar program, better task management, a MUCH better web browser (barely even a comparison), louder and easier speakerphone, and I find that I tend to reach for it first when I need to do anything other than send a BBM message or access Facebook.

In fact, if the Touch Pro 2 could have BlackBerry Messenger and Facebook applications that match what is on the BlackBerry I would not still own the 8900. That is something I kind of realized as I am typing this...on the Touch Pro 2. The battery life on the Touch Pro 2 is excellent but I do have to charge it every day. I find that I use the phone more than I do when I just have the BlackBerry. I pick it up to browse the web instead of my computer. I just finished taking notes with it at a conference I attended.

It is all about preference and I am finding that with two phone lines and both phones available whenever I want them I pick up the Touch Pro 2 first pretty much every day.
    Thanks for the detailed response.

I am leaning more towards the HTC phone at this point. I love my BlackBerry and being a part of the "BlackBerry In-Crowd" ... but since i'm pretty much tied to Sprint at this moment, the only BB I'm interested in is the Tour and I'm not all that enamored with it after seeing it in the flesh. It looks like a mix between the Curve and the Bold but more like the Curve ... and that's not a good thing IMO.

The Moment will have a much better screen than the HTC but that seems to be the only advantage. I rarely text, as it is, because I find texting on the BB Curve to be rather cumbersome. The keys are just way too small to be doing heavy-duty texting. That is a huge reason why I want a phone with a full QWERTY keyboard. The HTC does that for me. And since I can't really tether my phone anymore ... the BIGGEST advantage of having the BB ... moving on doesn't seem like its much of an issue at this point.
    10-26-09 02:47 AM
    I almost got the Touch Pro 2, and would have if it didn't run Windows Mobile. I used WinMo for a year on another HTC device a couple of years ago and, while it was tremendously customizable, it was slower than molasses. If you look at any side-by-side comparison between a winmo device and ANY other device, you'll see how slow it is.

OTOH, the Touch Pro 2 looks great, other than its size. Though I'd rather have a keyboard right in front of me than have to turn the thing around and slide it in and out. If you don't need the keyboard you can get the Imagio which is also hightly rated.
    10-26-09 10:55 PM
    I almost got the Touch Pro 2, and would have if it didn't run Windows Mobile. I used WinMo for a year on another HTC device a couple of years ago and, while it was tremendously customizable, it was slower than molasses. If you look at any side-by-side comparison between a winmo device and ANY other device, you'll see how slow it is.

OTOH, the Touch Pro 2 looks great, other than its size. Though I'd rather have a keyboard right in front of me than have to turn the thing around and slide it in and out. If you don't need the keyboard you can get the Imagio which is also hightly rated.
    I'd rather have the physical keyboard ... I can't stand those touchscreen keyboards ... the one on my iPod Touch is supposed to be so wonderful but I hate using it or any other touch keyboard, for that matter. That's a huge reason why I want the HTC. But I have a friend that works for Sprint and I'm actually under his employee account and he kind of discouraged me from getting the HTC even though he has one. The price is ridiculous. I can get another PlayStation 3 and a game for the same price as the HTC. He kind of swayed me into waiting for the new Samsung Moment android. I can try it free for 30 days anyhow. If I don't like it I can return it and either get the HTC or the BB Tour.
    10-26-09 11:29 PM
    yeah, I was going to switch to Tmobile just for the Touch pro 2, and then saw that they don't give much of a discount for the device even with a two year contract. It was $350 straight up, if I recall. And verizon was "sold out" on their web site. At the local verizon store, they don't even had touch pro 2s on display.
    10-26-09 11:33 PM
    yeah, I was going to switch to Tmobile just for the Touch pro 2, and then saw that they don't give much of a discount for the device even with a two year contract. It was $350 straight up, if I recall. And verizon was "sold out" on their web site. At the local verizon store, they don't even had touch pro 2s on display.
    Not just Verizon. I've been to Best Buy and an actual Sprint store looking for the HTC Touch ... nada! Its like its a phantom phone conjured up by your imagination. I'm like, who the **** carries this thing and what company is ******** enough to expect someone to purchase a phone that expensive without being able to try it out.
    10-27-09 12:58 AM
    yeah I don't get it. But the reviews are high enough that, if it didn't have winmo, it would be in my pocket right now. Probably. I still have some questions about how thick it is though.
    10-27-09 01:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD