12-20-10 03:10 AM
43 12
tools
    The fact that Best Buy has the Droid Incredible for free makes it really hard to wait. I'm still not sure if I want it because it has been out for a while, but it's $200 that I won't have to spend on a phone.
    12-09-10 12:02 PM
    The fact that Best Buy has the Droid Incredible for free makes it really hard to wait. I'm still not sure if I want it because it has been out for a while, but it's $200 that I won't have to spend on a phone.
    It's free because it's outdated
    12-09-10 05:21 PM
    He went through BB6 training because BB6 is coming out for the new Curve and the existing Bold/9650 devices.
    right on the money.
    although, we could always hope that there is a top secret device that NO ONE has leaked about......that will be released soon.

I think I'm just gonna go back to a 7290!

I'm with ya on that one! lol
    Last edited by P1nkD1am0nds; 12-09-10 at 06:30 PM.
    12-09-10 06:27 PM
    in the tech world a phone that is using 2 year old hardware is outdated. It doesnt matter when you actually buy the phone
    I must agree. Even I have been caught saying I would leave Verizon to get a Torch, but I do acknowledge that the Torch is outdated. The hardware specs just aren't up to par with the other smartphones that are out right now. And if I'm paying about the same price then I want the same capabilities paired with all the BlackBerry goodness that I fell in love with. .
    In the video with Mike Lazaridis answering questions at the Dive into Mobile the gentleman says he loves his Torch but the processor is slow and the screen res is low. From the first time I put my hands on a Torch I said the same thing. Whatever RIM wants to argue is their reason for making phones with subpar hardware it still doesn't make sense to me. I don't see any reason why the business user, RIM's self proclaimed target market, wouldn't want a faster processor and higher screen res just as much as the regular consumer. Times are changing, so many business men and women come into my hotel and talk about how their company no longer issues phones and they pay out of pocket for their own personal phone which doubles for business. A lot of them admit that for the price they're paying they gravitate to the faster processors and the high screen resolution. Pay the same price and get the higher specs, it's almost a no brainer. And many of them have admitted to wanting to play Angry Birds just as much as the average consumer (and there is nothing wrong with that). I hear a lot of talk from these business consumers that they let "average consumer mentality" drive their phone decisions. I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: RIM entered the consumer market, so they have to play consumer ball.
    12-09-10 09:28 PM
    Well, let me put it this way. I'm not even in the speculative stage as most of you guys are. I went along with my upgrade (to a 9780) about a week ago and I'm already seriously considering reverting back to my curve, and possibly leaving BB altogether soon after (if nothing gives from RIM between now and February). It's becoming harder and harder to suck it up and wait for the next underpromised "breakthrough". I'm aware that we might be imposing a bit of very high standards here, but we shouldn't have to expect anything less from RIM, and what we've gotten in the past year or so has been mediocre at best. Wake up and smell the competition al'effin'ready.
    12-09-10 11:15 PM
    Waking up each day and logging onto the rumor section of the forums gets me going. We all sit and wait and wait and wait because we all know RIM is "just about" to release the next great thing. One that's not already outdated before it's released one that our work will continue to pay. Me? Just get me something that doesn't suck and make sure my BBM still works!! Without BBM, you can call me B.Droid.
    12-10-10 08:01 AM
    I have service with AT&T and bought a BB Storm off eBay, I need the Service Books for the Internet Browser also my text is not working properly.
    12-15-10 03:55 AM
    [QUOTE=BunniesBerry;5852500]I must agree. Even I have been caught saying I would leave Verizon to get a Torch, but I do acknowledge that the Torch is outdated. The hardware specs just aren't up to par with the other smartphones that are out right now. And if I'm paying about the same price then I want the same capabilities paired with all the BlackBerry goodness that I fell in love with. .
    In the video with Mike Lazaridis answering questions at the Dive into Mobile the gentleman says he loves his Torch but the processor is slow and the screen res is low. From the first time I put my hands on a Torch I said the same thing. Whatever RIM wants to argue is their reason for making phones with subpar hardware it still doesn't make sense to me. I don't see any reason why the business user, RIM's self proclaimed target market, wouldn't want a faster processor and higher screen res just as much as the regular consumer. Times are changing, so many business men and women come into my hotel and talk about how their company no longer issues phones and they pay out of pocket for their own personal phone which doubles for business. A lot of them admit that for the price they're paying they gravitate to the faster processors and the high screen resolution. Pay the same price and get the higher specs, it's almost a no brainer. And many of them have admitted to wanting to play Angry Birds just as much as the average consumer (and there is nothing wrong with that). I hear a lot of talk from these business consumers that they let "average consumer mentality" drive their phone decisions. I've said it a million times and I'll say it again: RIM entered the consumer market, so they have to play consumer ball.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely have to agree with this statement. I'm a business user and a very happy bb apologist, but you are correct...if you want to get in that market, you need to be competitive in it as well.
    12-15-10 10:57 AM
    I have service with AT&T and bought a BB Storm off eBay, I need the Service Books for the Internet Browser also my text is not working properly.
    Search the forums, there's plenty of info already posted on how to do this. Enjoy the 2G data, though
    12-15-10 11:00 AM
    I personally don't see the point in sitting around on your thumbs "waiting" for RIM to release the next big thing..or complaining that it may not get released til March or April or whatever. Buy a used phone (whichever one has been peaking your interest) and use it until that magical day finally comes and the S3 (or whatever) finally hits the shelves..and you can then proceed to sell your "used" phone for the next big thing. With the phone market nowadays..it's very easy to buy and sell good conditioned used phones with very little money lost..and it definately beats hanging on to some crappy old phone playing the waiting game. Also..who knows..you may even discover something else you actually enjoy using..and worst case scenario..you've just expanded your technological horizons.
    12-15-10 11:33 AM
    Lots of anti BB stuff, wishing for this or that. I understand and was tempted as well. On Black Friday Best Buy had the Galaxy S [Verizon] for $1 so I bought it. Awesome phone for the most part. Wonderful screen and very fast! That said, no LED indicator for missed calls or messages. Hard to deal with? Yes! Custom user profiles? Forget it. Camera, very nice but no zoom. Keyboard? HORRIBLE! So I went and traded it, and $200, for a Droid X. Camera, sucks. Keyboard, worse. LED, yes. Custom profiles? Forget it. Droid can't even allow you to have different tone volumes for different notifiers. Neither phone has PUSH technology, huge PITA if you're a social net worker and neither has a Facebook app that's worth a damn. Copy and paste? Only in "fields" android deems ok and even then only entire paragraphs. Bottom line Android is missing what BB has had for years, BB is really only missing a clearer display and the "fun" apps.

For those about to jump ship I suggest you take a Droid or whatever home for a few days if possible first before throwing your BB away. I'll not keep this X very long for sure. My Storm II is neatly nestled away in the box laughing at me as I type this...
    12-16-10 05:38 PM
    Lots of anti BB stuff, wishing for this or that. I understand and was tempted as well. On Black Friday Best Buy had the Galaxy S [Verizon] for $1 so I bought it. Awesome phone for the most part. Wonderful screen and very fast! That said, no LED indicator for missed calls or messages. Hard to deal with? Yes! Custom user profiles? Forget it. Camera, very nice but no zoom. Keyboard? HORRIBLE! So I went and traded it, and $200, for a Droid X. Camera, sucks. Keyboard, worse. LED, yes. Custom profiles? Forget it. Droid can't even allow you to have different tone volumes for different notifiers. Neither phone has PUSH technology, huge PITA if you're a social net worker and neither has a Facebook app that's worth a damn. Copy and paste? Only in "fields" android deems ok and even then only entire paragraphs. Bottom line Android is missing what BB has had for years, BB is really only missing a clearer display and the "fun" apps.

For those about to jump ship I suggest you take a Droid or whatever home for a few days if possible first before throwing your BB away. I'll not keep this X very long for sure. My Storm II is neatly nestled away in the box laughing at me as I type this...
    fail, all androids have push capabilities.
    12-16-10 05:53 PM

Sadly, BB is also missing hardware specs that are able to compete with Droid phones. My mom has a Moto Droid 2, and its a nice phone ... I personally would have gotten the DroidX... but since they have the same OS and Motorola stuff, I guess I can speak for both when I say that the phone is much quicker and more fluid than my S2 ... and it does have more apps... but not just 'fun' ones ... its also a much more 'modern' phone I guess you could say with some of its features.

Honestly, I prefer the android UI/OS over BB6 (from what I've seen at least), but have yet to jump ship because I love BBM, and of course many of the functionality stuff you mentioned. But I just don't think its fair to really say that a BB outperforms a Droid phone ... both have their imperfections, but the slow processor and lack of memory on the BBs part is really the only thing bringing it down ... along with the lack for an actual "App Store" ... app world is kinda a joke, even compared to the Crackberry app store
    12-16-10 06:45 PM
    Howarmat, I'd love for you to explain how push works on a droid. The shortest interval to check for facebook updates is 15 minutes. BBs are nearly instant. Be my guest and explain please, even the Best Buy and Verizon people told me it doesn't exist. I await your tutorial.

Some complain the BBs are slow. And sure they are not as fast as the new phones. But I'll take a slower phone that does more out of the box. I just can't see the point of searching for apps to get a phone to do something my outdated one has already been doing. If android wants to be the cats *** they need to copy what already has Ben perfected and add to that. They failed trying to reinvent the wheel. BB simply needs some better Alps and a snazzed. Up OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-10 06:52 PM
    Howarmat, I'd love for you to explain how push works on a droid. The shortest interval to check for facebook updates is 15 minutes. BBs are nearly instant. Be my guest and explain please, even the Best Buy and Verizon people told me it doesn't exist. I await your tutorial.

Some complain the BBs are slow. And sure they are not as fast as the new phones. But I'll take a slower phone that does more out of the box. I just can't see the point of searching for apps to get a phone to do something my outdated one has already been doing. If android wants to be the cats *** they need to copy what already has Ben perfected and add to that. They failed trying to reinvent the wheel. BB simply needs some better Alps and a snazzed. Up OS.

its pretty simple, gmail, activesync, exchange are all push. My twitter app is push mentions and DMs Facebook is also push. You didnt specify what you thought was push or not. You made a blanket statement saying the phones did not have push technology which is not the case as i just pointed out. Pretty much everything i do on my Incredible is push.

BB doesnt push the timeline for facebook updates to your phone, the interval setting is for the timeline, the same as the blackberry
    12-16-10 07:05 PM
    Well maybe I'm incorect in my terminology or understanding of what push is. Bottom line social app notifications on the DX are not nearly as fast as my BB is. Considering the lengthy discussions on the droid central forum I'm not the only one complaining. That said waiting around to get updates is but one small chink in the armor of which there are many.

Back to my original point. BBs are not perfect. But to those looking to jump to the new stuff out there thinking it's all greenery grassim simply saying it isn't and is far from it.

The very best feature of his DX is the ability to get signal seemigly anywhere. I'm in a very rural area and this X really shines. Matter of fact its about equal to my old Curve.
    12-16-10 07:55 PM
    My moms droid 2 has push. On her email settings I can set it to push emails (no interval thing) and they get to her phone instantly to my knowledge. She has an @verizon.net email btw.

Not pushing droids over BB, since I really do like my S2 more than my moms droid2, but the email is push.

12-16-10 08:19 PM
    There's probably a few zillion people in the same boat - hanging on to their Storm 1's & 2's PATIENTLY waiting for a reason to stick with BB. BUT - we get zilch. Nothing from RIM stating planned specs, approximate dates, which carriers, etc. Every time I stop in a Verizon store and play with an Android based touch screen it gets HARDER and HARDER to wait. I don't know about everyone else, but if I don't start seeing some "official" leaks/specs/info very soon I'm not going to wait much longer. I know I'm darned sure not going to wait for them to tie together QNX and a dual core sometime in 2011 Q3/Q4.
    Happy trails...
    12-20-10 03:10 AM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD