Why don't two good smart phone companies just get married and call it a union for the better. I am talking Blackberry and Android get married, and before you say anything Palm can just be the step kid from a very bad ex-marriage. LOL

Seriously it probably could be done and it would be really nice to have the blackberry design of phone with the keyboard and trackball/trackpad depending on what they went with, but instead of using Blackberries stone age OS. They should use the Android OS but keep there push email and trademark push features we all love with our Blackberries. Of course in turn the newer Android devices through Motorola, Samsung, etc. would be given push email, etc features like RIM has produced.

Who else think this would be a marriage in **** or an appearance in front of Judge Mabaline in Divorce Court?
    10-30-09 03:40 PM
    Android's a smartphone company?
    10-30-09 11:20 PM
    shouldnt happen because the blackberry OS is the most secure OS in the world
    11-02-09 12:00 PM
    The android OS is garbage, and I know because I used one for a short period of time (very short yet very painful period of time). I for one like the simplistic nature of the BB OS because it gets the job done quickly. If someone wants games and entertainment then they should just go buy an ipod touch or a psp.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 11:25 PM
    There's lot to RIM OS than the average user sees. It has tons of tons of security & administration features, which make it the only suitable device for some company's. There's also the whole PUSH infrastructures with RIM's NOCs.
    11-03-09 05:45 PM
    Android's a smartphone company?
    dude they are like the coolest thing now..... if peeing your pants is cool consider me a android phone....

11-03-09 06:00 PM
    I like Blackberry's OS. It's very streamlined. If it would be more user responsive and maybe upgrade the UI it would be even more awesome. Android is the future, but for Blackberry, I think at this time it would be a loosing proposition.
    11-03-09 08:31 PM
    That wouldn't be a good idea. For one, why fix what isn't broken? BlackBerry OS may be old, but it's refined. It hasn't had to change hardly at all in the past 10-12 years to still be competing with other "smart"phones. BlackBerry was the original smartphone and is as secure and stable as it gets. You may hit a few hiccups but for the most part...there are no real problems with it. The designs they are putting out are amazing. Android is a nice OS, but it doesn't have near the functionality of a BlackBerry. I have a Hero. It's nice and all, but I find myself using my Tour way more than the Hero. The battery life of a BlackBerry cannot be reckoned with.

Keep in mind that the name of the company is Research in MOTION. They're working on things. They may seem to be working slowly, but it has taken other companies years to catch up with them. Look at Palm. WebOS, sure, it looks nice and all. But figuring it out, and actually doing something with it is another thing. Android looks nice and is fully customizable, but try to send something through bluetooth without having to download some sort of app first. Try to find your documents saved to your SD card without having to download a file manager. Try to close out your apps without downloading a Task Manager. Android still has its holes and in my honest opinion, shouldn't be out yet. It's technically still in beta, or at least should be.

BlackBerry is doing everything right at the moment. They're leading all smartphone sales globally. That says something. People under 30 may not think they want a BlackBerry, but if they actually used a phone for something other than games and downloading millions of apps they'll never use...they would see that all you really need is a bunch of pre-installed core apps that get the job done and that you actually use.

Just think about it. The only thing I would suggest BlackBerry do with their OS rather than just allowing themes...is an on-phone option for customization...and they're getting there. 4.6 and above have the beginnings of what's to come.
    11-04-09 12:09 AM
    well thats not really fair everything by google is still in beta its such a lame excuse. It took g-mail like 4 years for them to remove the word beta. Blackberry is not to original smartphone the first thing they made were these chips (microchips not like lays lol) in 1995 i remember seeing it on my tour of RIM. The first smartphone was made in 1992 by IBM and was called Simon. BUT yes RIM got ahead in the game and thats all it takes now it will require someone to come out with a revolutionary new technology to actually get rid of their control of the smartphone market. (In the end smartphones are for business users)and from what I hear (friend's uncle was a lawyer for Jim or some ****) everyone who was against Jim buying Phoenix, walked into the court room with iPhones, but don't worry im sure they went home to grab their emails of their blackberries lol.
    11-04-09 01:16 AM
    Android does have a lot of innovative features going for them. I enjoyed playing with both new devices, but I'm familiar with how my Storm works and I enjoy using it. I just wish the first one would have had the memory that the second one has.
    11-05-09 06:46 PM
    Unfortunately, RIM has not answered two problems with the S1 that Droid seems to deliver. Bigger screen, faster browser. I was shocked when I found out the S2's screen was the same size as the S1. None of the devices that I could see in the "rumored" section have a bigger screen. I was also shocked when I saw how slow the 5.0 browser was after the RIM employees here promised for months about how great it was going to be.
    11-05-09 09:57 PM
    I actually agree with this. Ppl need to understand that android is the newest os to the smart phone world and has quickly grown in its short existance. I'm a former bb owner and now a current android user and I have to say that by far the android os is much more smooth and faster. It seems like rim promises its users eden with every new os update but its all ways.......alllllllllllllways a disappointment.

11-06-09 01:56 AM
    RIM makes solid phones that are strong in security, messaging and for business needs but everything else is behind or outdated. Web browsing, media, compatibility etc... Even with the RAM doubled on my Tour I still get the clock coming up. My Tour works great but still has some issues which should be non-existent.

I honestly don't believe we will get an amazing web browser as they promised, it will be a better browser but still behind the competition.

The bar for smartphones has been raised and I actually like that it has, we will begin to see more powerful dvices that can handle everything from one device, smoothly, without lag, and without compromise. I like my Tour but it still has quite a way to go.
    11-06-09 10:36 AM
    Common' OS 6.0!

11-09-09 01:57 AM
    Common' OS 6.0!

+1
    11-09-09 02:02 AM
    I would say yes that's a good idea, know one wants their grandpa's clothes the same goes for phones its a new age for tecommunications devices hence why blackberry is instituting opengl although it will only work for the S2 and the 8530

11-11-09 10:19 AM
    why ? I mean if u like android, and want something like it, why not get it and leave the blackberry? i personally love the blackberry, it does the same exact stuff android does, but instead of it being flashy, it does it in a simple non flashy way, just simple. I honestly think RIM has everything all these new platforms are offering only that they do it prettier.
    11-11-09 11:05 AM
    I'm not saying change all blackberries merely make like one cross device. They have so many phones out already it wouldn't. Hurt sells I'm sure

11-11-09 11:25 AM
    Its the chicken and the egg.

Until Software (OS) development, R&D (Hardware), marketing, QC and some sort of customer feedback loop are in place and sharing communication, we are stuck with the status quo:

Software - building the holy grail of OS...only problem is that still looks like its from 1995, complemented with 2 color wireframe icons.

Hardware - putting a great screen on units that makes everything look vibrant- except for those 2 color icons. No change in memory "we don't need that much!". Rather than enclosing the screen and bezel in a tight package without cracks, let's make the whole thing streamlined and wobbly. It honestly seems that RIM puts all features into a hat (say 10) and then someone pulls 8 out that become the features for that phone (the other 2 notably absent)

R&D - working on the next big thing that will "change the industry". Only problem is they don't release everyone else is doing the same thing and has already passed them in development. Resolution of some devices has doubled passed the BB, memory as well. I wouldn't be suprised if someone would be able to load the latest and greatest BB OS in a VM on another device.

Customer Feedback Loop- most of us on these threads have said time and time over what the problems with these devices are and they are never getting fixed, nor are our opinions even reaching the ears of anyone that could actually change something. That needs to change. Simple input can go a long way...

Marketing - the next phone is the greatest blackberry ever! (But looks the same, and has 95% of the same things inside as it predecessor)

QC - Mexican quality at its best. Wobbly keys, warped trackpads, loose screens, loose battery covers, and spaces left big enough to be considered air intake ducts if it were a car.

11-17-09 09:00 AM
    +1
    Oh... +2
    11-21-09 11:59 PM
    The android OS is garbage, and I know because I used one for a short period of time (very short yet very painful period of time). I for one like the simplistic nature of the BB OS because it gets the job done quickly. If someone wants games and entertainment then they should just go buy an ipod touch or a psp.

That explains a lot. You have to get used to the Android OS, you can't just know all about it in "a short period of time."

11-22-09 01:03 PM
    dude they are like the coolest thing now..... if peeing your pants is cool consider me a android phone....

Think he is referring to your company comment... Droid is made by google

11-28-09 03:29 AM
    Honestly every mobile OS has their strengths and weaknesses, right now the top three are stated to be webOS, iPhone OS and Android but that is mainly because of customizability and web browsing.

Blackberry really just needs to do some tweaking to their current OS and really step up their web browsing to be a viable competitor in the mobile OS market, because everyone knows that their phones are a definite competitor already.
    11-28-09 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD