10-14-10 06:09 PM
33 12
tools
    For once, I'm happy with Verizon. I wish they would act like this more often. To be honest, I'd do the same with the 9780...they had their chance to give us decent specs and they cheaped out, now they try and offer an upgrade of something that should have been there from the start...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 07:35 AM
    After hearing this news I instantly thought of a Storm Plus over on Sprint
    10-02-10 07:21 PM
    that is a good question, i wondered that long ago before the "refresh" idea came about. Jlevy has been quiet on the scene lately so im not sure he is around to provide details of this phone. But many phones come and go without making it past the R&D phase or whatever. that device might have been what the 9800 evolved into also. you never know
    Between the description of that phone from a long time ago by JLevy and then Sal's post on the S3 they are pretty much identical, esp in terms of the new OS for the touchscreen. Which we all know now is most likely the OS from the Playbook. JLevy's post was like a year and a half ago thou so how the **** is that phone he's describing still no where to be found???

My feeling is that phone still exist and is most likely what will be the new Storm, as they stated originally. However, the problem RIM has is that they can't bring that phone out with a brand new OS, I'm assuming OS7 it will be(Playbook OS), when OS6 is yet to really be out in the consumer market on phones except for the Torch. If they release that phone now all the programming and and ish they went thru to get OS6 out there on these new "refresh" phones will just be a waste. Also, if this OS7 is as good as it should be then over the holiday season, no one would want an older BB with OS6 and they might not be able to meet the demand of a new Storm, kinda like Apple with the IP4. While most of us think this would probable be great, it's probably overall not a good biz decision.

Therefore most Storm chaser may just be waiting a long time for this phone, which really sucks. I still have my S1 and I think I'm just gonna have to make due and be satisfied with purchasing a Playbook and hopefully that will hold me over long enough until RIM finally releases a spec crazy phone to compete with these Droids and whatever else.
    Also, getting info from JLevy most likely won't happen since i'd assume he went Droid pretty much after he posted that S3 info and hasn't turned back and I don't blame him. I feel like Sal hasn't been posting info on here either since he teamed up with Berryreview or BBLeaks, I forget which one it is. I guess he's trying to be loyal to the site he's working for now and is trying to feed them any info he can, IMO...
    10-04-10 03:00 PM
    for RIM. this is good. the market would see the refresh as their attempt to compete with iPhone/Android and it would not.

for Verizon: they could care less about a Storm refresh as they are carrying plenty of Droid's.

for Storm 1 owners: we are doomed to wait out the REAL storm 3/storm 4 or switch to Droid. I'll be doing the former.
    10-05-10 02:58 PM
    Hey OP, how many of these same subject threads you gonna start?
    10-08-10 06:23 AM
    Between the description of that phone from a long time ago by JLevy and then Sal's post on the S3 they are pretty much identical, esp in terms of the new OS for the touchscreen. Which we all know now is most likely the OS from the Playbook. JLevy's post was like a year and a half ago thou so how the **** is that phone he's describing still no where to be found???

My feeling is that phone still exist and is most likely what will be the new Storm, as they stated originally. However, the problem RIM has is that they can't bring that phone out with a brand new OS, I'm assuming OS7 it will be(Playbook OS), when OS6 is yet to really be out in the consumer market on phones except for the Torch. If they release that phone now all the programming and and ish they went thru to get OS6 out there on these new "refresh" phones will just be a waste. Also, if this OS7 is as good as it should be then over the holiday season, no one would want an older BB with OS6 and they might not be able to meet the demand of a new Storm, kinda like Apple with the IP4. While most of us think this would probable be great, it's probably overall not a good biz decision.

Therefore most Storm chaser may just be waiting a long time for this phone, which really sucks. I still have my S1 and I think I'm just gonna have to make due and be satisfied with purchasing a Playbook and hopefully that will hold me over long enough until RIM finally releases a spec crazy phone to compete with these Droids and whatever else.
    Also, getting info from JLevy most likely won't happen since i'd assume he went Droid pretty much after he posted that S3 info and hasn't turned back and I don't blame him. I feel like Sal hasn't been posting info on here either since he teamed up with Berryreview or BBLeaks, I forget which one it is. I guess he's trying to be loyal to the site he's working for now and is trying to feed them any info he can, IMO...
    RIM has been working with QNX for over 2 years. We heard rumors of a Super BlackBerry with ridiculous specs that would follow the Storm 2. Then we started hearing that would be a refresh followed by a super device a few months later. JLevy's "Hands on" info did fit with Sal's info and both stated that the device was LTE which fit earlier rumors with the next Storm being 4G.

I think RIM was behind on getting the 9570 out since they were not sure it was needed until late. If it dropped in July/August about a month after the Torch it would have been okay. But to releasr it in October or November when VZW has announced 4G which will go live in November is just not going to work.

I think we may see the QNX Storm in January at CTIA in Vegas. That or a 4G playbook. I wish they would just release it, enen if 3G now and 4G update later (since the hardware will be LTE capable). It woupd get it in for the holidays. And before all the craziness starts with iPhones and 4G Droids.

I don't see any reason why they can't QNX on touch screens for a bit and then being along the slider and Qwerty crowd later. OS 5 dropped first on the S1 and then S2 so it seems to be the tip of the spear for RIM regarding OS Development. Now the torch comes with BB6 but that is still touch. So you could just keep touch devices on latest and greatest.

Either way I hope cancelling the refresh means we are closer to seeing a QNX based device with specs similiar to playbook.

Wonder what happens to the test devices and prototypes that are out there?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 07:46 AM
    You do pose a good point about OS5 being on the first Storm before it came to other devices and now the same with the Torch. It would be great if that would hold true for QNX being on their next generation touchscreen instead of OS6. Only problem is that it still just seems waay too soon to see QNX jump onto a touchscreen phone since the Torch is still pretty new.
    Would it really be possible for RIM to get the next generation touchscreen, Storm or whatever it may be into production and released by the end of November? That gives them 2 months from when the 9570 was ish canned. The rumors of an iPhone on Verizon are just becoming more and more rampant. So I feel like waiting even till Jan to maybe show this next gen touchscreen is still too late. Cause by then people might even know a rough release date for the iPhone and just say screw it I'll wait for that.
    With the history the Storm had, being RIM's first touchscreen device, people aren't going to be too quick to jump onto their next attempted touchscreen over the iPhone. However, if maybe it gets a head start and the new OS gets great reviews then RIM will move ahead in the game and the iPhone wont be too much of a threat. Obviously the iPhone is still gonna do well no matter what but to have a head start would obviously help.
    10-08-10 01:16 PM
    If this turns up being an LTE Storm...then I doubt we see anything until CES in January.
    10-14-10 06:09 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD