12-04-19 02:28 PM
99 ... 234
tools
    Strange after all this time still no official news about the KEY3, the KEY2 has been out forever.
    10-28-19 04:42 PM
    10-28-19 04:45 PM
    Strange after all this time still no official news about the KEY3, the KEY2 has been out forever.
    What Key3? Oops I did it again....
    10-28-19 04:56 PM
    oh darn, I was living under a rock
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-28-19 05:02 PM
    Very very disappointed with TCL
    Key2 has no updated android-version, while key3 has no release information
    dalinxz likes this.
    11-25-19 10:04 PM
    Very very disappointed with TCL
    Key2 has no updated android-version, while key3 has no release information
    Disappointed with TCL, or disappointed that an insufficient number of people seemed interested in buying a physical keyboard device to warrant making more?
    11-26-19 12:06 AM
    Disappointed with TCL, or disappointed that an insufficient number of people seemed interested in buying a physical keyboard device to warrant making more?
    Maybe some would like a PKB but not in the package that TCL brought out.

They would want one but with a bigger OLED display, better camera, wireless charging, IP rating, etc...
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    11-28-19 09:05 PM
    Maybe some would like a PKB but not in the package that TCL brought out.

They would want one but with a bigger OLED display, better camera, wireless charging, IP rating, etc...
    There were enough problems at $649, let alone $1000.
    11-28-19 09:37 PM
    You mean $999 right?
    11-28-19 09:41 PM
    Hmm, but what if at $999 it would bring all the features found in phones at that price range, whereas the KEY2 at $649 didn't quite match up to the others in that price bracket.

But either way, without carrier support $999 is gonna be a tough sell even if the device is top quality.
    11-28-19 09:43 PM
    Hmm, but what if at $999 it would bring all the features found in phones at that price range, whereas the KEY2 at $649 didn't quite match up to the others in that price bracket.

But either way, without carrier support $999 is gonna be a tough sell even if the device is top quality.
    It wouldn’t have because of the BBTax as usual, or uncertainties from whatever Unihertz like company involved.
    11-28-19 09:49 PM
    If(!) they release a KEY3, it would have to have some compelling features for it to be successful. The only thing I can see is an OLED screen, stereo speakers, better camera and Android 10 as compelling. However, really, those are pretty standard features in many devices these days. So, I'm not really sure what a KEY3 can offer that will differentiate it much from a KEY2.

There is only so much you can improve on the PKB, so I think they are maxxed out there. 6GB RAM is more than good enough. The battery is already big enough.

So what can they really release?
    12-04-19 07:24 AM
    If(!) they release a KEY3, it would have to have some compelling features for it to be successful. The only thing I can see is an OLED screen, stereo speakers, better camera and Android 10 as compelling. However, really, those are pretty standard features in many devices these days. So, I'm not really sure what a KEY3 can offer that will differentiate it much from a KEY2.

There is only so much you can improve on the PKB, so I think they are maxxed out there. 6GB RAM is more than good enough. The battery is already big enough.

They will release nothing
    12-04-19 07:54 AM
    They will release nothing
    Yeah, I know.... :-(
    12-04-19 08:53 AM

Aside from obvious display improvements because that mediocre LCD from 2015 won't cut it in 2020, and aside from wireless charging and a hopeful IP rating and OIS in rear camera, PKB improvements can include a unibody design like the Priv for bulletproof reliability and to enable IP rating, along with RGB backlighting and all 4 rows being capacitive, and fingerprint sensor on the side power button.

Such a device would cost about $899 at least, but I'd be first in line.
    12-04-19 09:15 AM
    Aside from obvious display improvements because that mediocre LCD from 2015 won't cut it in 2020, and aside from wireless charging and a hopeful IP rating and OIS in rear camera, PKB improvements can include a unibody design like the Priv for bulletproof reliability and to enable IP rating, along with RGB backlighting and all 4 rows being capacitive, and fingerprint sensor on the side power button.

Such a device would cost about $899 at least, but I'd be first in line.
    You and how many others?

The BlackBerry fanbase in a mixed bag of users from around the world. Many of whom viewed the $650 as way too expensive.

Does seem like there should be something in-between a 10K (if they are lucky) unit Unihertz that can be sold for $199 and a midgrade phone sold for a premium that some say needs millions of units a year to make it viable.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-04-19 09:34 AM
    The BlackBerry fanbase in a mixed bag of users from around the world. Many of whom viewed the $650 as way too expensive.
    Maybe people would have better received a $900 device that had all the flagship features than a $650 device that was lacking in many of them (IP rating, wireless charging, quality OLED, up-to-par camera/video quality)
    12-04-19 09:36 AM
    Maybe people would have better received a $900 device that had all the flagship features than a $650 device that was lacking in many of them (IP rating, wireless charging, quality OLED, up-to-par camera/video quality)
    No possible way as industry trends and sales data for Android suggest otherwise.
    12-04-19 10:38 AM
    No possible way as industry trends and sales data for Android suggest otherwise.
    I dont follow?
    12-04-19 12:13 PM
    I dont follow?
    The main spot for Android sales has been in middle tier of pricing. As price goes up, sales volume goes down. The KEYone and Key2 demonstrated this fact. TCL and BBMo had plenty of data to backup up it’s decision to place where it did.
    12-04-19 12:19 PM
    The main spot for Android sales has been in middle tier of pricing. As price goes up, sales volume goes down. The KEYone and Key2 demonstrated this fact. TCL and BBMo had plenty of data to backup up it’s decision to place where it did.
    Right so there would need to be enough die hard fans willing to pay $900 or so for a flagship everything KEY3
    12-04-19 12:49 PM
    Right so there would need to be enough die hard fans willing to pay $900 or so for a flagship everything KEY3
    Due to smallness of the niche, lack of components buying power, even if BBMo could get the flagship components, I would suspect a 20-25% cost premium to other flagships.

$999 Android VKB flagships become $1199-$1249 BBAndroid PKB flagships like now in the mid-tier space. For any reasonable volume, that’s why BBMo chose to go mid-tier instead.

The Galaxy Fold is good example of premium strategy you’re suggesting. If BBMo had that kind of scale, your idea would be reasonable. How much do you think has been lost on the Fold project?
    12-04-19 12:59 PM
    Due to smallness of the niche, lack of components buying power, even if BBMo could get the flagship components, I would suspect a 20-25% cost premium to other flagships.

$999 Android VKB flagships become $1199-$1249 BBAndroid PKB flagships like now in the mid-tier space. For any reasonable volume, that’s why BBMo chose to go mid-tier instead.

The Galaxy Fold is good example of premium strategy you’re suggesting. If BBMo had that kind of scale, your idea would be reasonable. How much do you think has been lost on the Fold project?
    Then maybe BBMo could buy leftover components such as CPU's from Samsung or something to avoid the premium that Qualcomm would have charged
    12-04-19 02:25 PM
    Then maybe BBMo could buy leftover components such as CPU's from Samsung or something to avoid the premium that Qualcomm would have charged
    Then you’re not getting the latest flagship anymore. Plus I’m sure that supply and demand are pretty well managed on both sides to protect IP and margins.
    12-04-19 02:28 PM
99 ... 234