Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    From a business perspective, this sounds most likely..
    I mean, it's not like virtually EVERY single other OEM is churning out nothing but slabs...
    03-02-19 11:31 PM
    If this is true and they don't make a high end all touch screen phone they will lose this guy for good! I love the Note 9. I really wish BB would step it up!
    03-05-19 10:14 PM
    If this is true and they don't make a high end all touch screen phone they will lose this guy for good! I love the Note 9. I really wish BB would step it up!
    It’s ok to leave. BBMo/TCL already left the VKB space for now. If BBMo/TCL comes back, you can too.
    03-06-19 06:46 AM
    Everyday I have the urge to come here and have a look at the posts
    With the hope that one day. I will see
    The.. " New touch screen phone Specs"
    Or something else that would say " new touch screen Phone"
    But nothing...
    Does anybody know if there is one on the work??
    Thanks..

Posted via CB10
    You are not alone, infect I'm wondering it comes with native Os
    04-16-19 09:17 AM
    BlackBerry is working on keyboard software that does not require the use of the Swiftkey licence. It should be ready in the next few months. I expect it will then be incorporated into the app suite.
    Any update on this?
    04-16-19 09:34 AM
    Any update on this?
    Not that I've heard.
    04-16-19 10:00 AM
    BlackBerry is all about the physical keyboard. All touch devices take a back seat. There will be at least one more pkb device before a slab is even contemplated.
    And that is why BlackBerry will always experience low sales volume. There should be a upgrade path for the Motion, and there should be an upgrade path for a Motion 2. I am not against pkb devices, but 99.9% of the world cares less about them. The market wants All Touch Slabs.
    04-17-19 08:51 PM
    And that is why BlackBerry will always experience low sales volume. There should be a upgrade path for the Motion, and there should be an upgrade path for a Motion 2. I am not against pkb devices, but 99.9% of the world cares less about them. The market wants All Touch Slabs.
    That may be true, but there is absolutely no way that BBMo can be even close to competitive in the glass slab market.
    04-17-19 08:53 PM
    That may be true, but there is absolutely no way that BBMo can be even close to competitive in the glass slab market.
    Sure they can be competitive, they have an advantage, built in HUB features and Security baked into the OS. Current Motion owners require an upgrade path, where is it? Not to mention many others that used to be on BB10 are still looking to see what all touch high end phone comes out of BBRY. Again, where is it?
    04-17-19 08:56 PM
    Sure they can be competitive, they have an advantage, built in HUB features and Security baked into the OS. Current Motion owners require an upgrade path, where is it? Not to mention many others that used to be on BB10 are still looking to see what all touch high end phone comes out of BBRY. Again, where is it?
    Get the app suite on any other slab. BBMo will be 25%-50% more expensive than a competitor with the same specs. That's the problem with low volumes.
    04-17-19 08:58 PM
    Because the Motion was such a big hit... right?

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you. I'd like a full touch BlackBerry too. Unfortunately AT&T never carried it, and few other carriers did. Many phones still sell through carriers, so that didn't help much.

I understand their reluctance. I don't like it, but I understand it.
    Mansuet likes this.
    04-17-19 09:02 PM
    Because Torch 9860, Z10, Z30, DTEK50, DTEK60, Aurora, Motion and Evolve have all been runaway hits??
    04-17-19 11:00 PM
    Because Torch 9860, Z10, Z30, DTEK50, DTEK60, Aurora, Motion and Evolve have all been runaway hits??
    Well, I've had 9860, Z10, Z30, and DTEK60. Didn't like the motion personally when I tried it for a few days. Wish we had the Evolve X. If BBMo made something like a Huawei P30 pro with a headphone jack and a decent DAC, and stereo speakers, they would lead the market. The LG G8 and new V50 just don't have the camera capabilities I'd like. The Samsung S10 5G has a decent feature set, but lacks stereo speakers, and the night mode on the camera isn't even close to the Huawei. Oppo 10x has great zoom and I love the popup selfie camera design, but again the whole package lacks a bit.
    04-18-19 01:49 PM
    Well, I've had 9860, Z10, Z30, and DTEK60. Didn't like the motion personally when I tried it for a few days. Wish we had the Evolve X. If BBMo made something like a Huawei P30 pro with a headphone jack and a decent DAC, and stereo speakers, they would lead the market. The LG G8 and new V50 just don't have the camera capabilities I'd like. The Samsung S10 5G has a decent feature set, but lacks stereo speakers, and the night mode on the camera isn't even close to the Huawei. Oppo 10x has great zoom and I love the popup selfie camera design, but again the whole package lacks a bit.
    No profit in selling unicorns or dreams
    04-18-19 01:50 PM
    If BBMo made something like a Huawei P30 pro with a headphone jack and a decent DAC, and stereo speakers, they would lead the market.
    Oh ya? At a 25% premium in price of said P30 Pro?
    04-18-19 02:05 PM
    Oh ya? At a 25% premium in price of said P30 Pro?
    And blackballed with several important carrier demographics...
    04-18-19 02:08 PM
    Thing is, as someone who owns an electronics Import company and deals with factories in Asia on a regular basis (since 2006), the retail prices consumers see are 3-4 times (at minimum) what the actual products really cost. TCL / BBMo can be competitive if they want to. The pricing is set by what the market will support. And with regard to your dreams and unicorns comment, a headphone jack / DAC cost under 80 cents at production level, and that extra speaker is under 4 cents for a generic one (9 cents for a premium, high excursion unit). Take a flight to Guangzhou and visit the Canton fair and you might open your perspectives a little bit. If you don't want to get a visa, go to the HK Electronics fair. Both events are put on twice a year.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    04-18-19 02:25 PM
    Thing is, as someone who owns an electronics Import company and deals with factories in Asia on a regular basis (since 2006), the retail prices consumers see are 3-4 times (at minimum) what the actual products really cost. TCL / BBMo can be competitive if they want to. The pricing is set by what the market will support. And with regard to your dreams and unicorns comment, a headphone jack / DAC cost under 80 cents at production level, and that extra speaker is under 4 cents for a generic one (9 cents for a premium, high excursion unit). Take a flight to Guangzhou and visit the Canton fair and you might open your perspectives a little bit. If you don't want to get a visa, go to the HK Electronics fair. Both events are put on twice a year.
    Awesome. So BBMo must be making a fortune, and many more years and devices are ahead of us.
    04-18-19 02:30 PM
    You, if anyone, should understand that OEMs are moving in every direction for the differentiations. The consumer demand costs are huge for moving perceptions. Apple with the major Android Flagship OEMs spend billions to convince everyone that PKBs and headphone jacks are obsolete. Planned obsolescence and technology form change is what keeps the industry selling newer and more expensive devices.

iPhones and other Android flagships are being sold BOGO and no second or third rate OEM is going to break up the current model. Carriers and their flagship partners make sure of that. You speak as if TCL and BBMo have any type of budget to move the needle. I suspect the big 3 Apple/Google/Microsoft plus big three Android OEMs in the West have billions just to keep the wireless accessories going plus other related hardware.

The manufacturing costs for the Flagship consumer products are usually insignificant to retail cost. I grew up in personal leather goods business. Do you really think it costs the various companies anything components wise to justify $100 wallets/belts and $300 purses?
    raymach1 likes this.
    04-18-19 02:42 PM

Their is a huge difference in component retail and as part of a complete device. A replacement screen for a KEY2 might be $80 retail, but only cost BBMo $15. But it takes much more money to sell that complete device and support it in a global market. I have no doubt you might find that same screen for $20 at some fair. You aren't going to find a KEY2 that can be used in 100's of markets, has a warranty and support system and will get updates for the next three years...

By most account Huawei is selling phones for $15 - $20 over cost... based on volume - something that BBMo doesn't have.
    04-18-19 03:00 PM
    I am not sure that your business in the USA or any other country can get a USA government contract if your firm is using Huawei telephone equipment including their phones.

I gather the USA does not want Huawei to gain a foothold in the coming 5G market and that is their main concern.
    They don't want Huawei to have a stranglehold on US comm whether it be for consumers, infrastructure, or government. They are worried about cut-off of hardware supply for the 5G roll-out or the ability to conduct a "hard-kill" via firmware update channels...
    Last edited by RLeeSimon; 04-18-19 at 04:27 PM.
    04-18-19 03:49 PM
    as for PKB slider like Priv, I believe it could address the slab market with PKB available for occasional use, or not... they might also offer a slab plain or with PKB as an option factory installed...
    04-18-19 03:52 PM
    leaving out a wireless QI receiver would be idiotic... Samsung also places a QI emitter... youngsters are gonna love that !!
    04-18-19 03:54 PM
    They don't want Huawei to have a stranglehold on US comm whether it be for consumers, infrastructure, or government. They are worried about cut-off of hardware supply for the 5G roll-out or the ability to conduct a "hard-line" via firmware update channels...
    Let's face it, if every Carrier stocked Huawei and OnePlus devices... Samsung would priced right out of the market. Like BlackBerry, I doubt there are enough enterprise and government phones to keep Samsung in the smartphone business.

The threat from Chinese espionage seems to be real... what happens when they are the only game in town, other than Apple?

Next couple of years you will see a number of none Chinese OEM fade out of the business... LG, Sony, HTC, Motorola (last two already Chinese owned now).

To be honest, the need to BlackBerry's Android Secure where BlackBerry controls the injection of the OS... might be very valuable in a few years.
    04-18-19 04:00 PM
    Sony is Japanese, no?
    04-18-19 04:02 PM
128 12345 ...