03-06-19 06:46 AM
53 123
tools
    I have been loyal to BlackBerry thus far, but my patience is running out. I went from a Classic to a Priv because I wanted the larger screen as well as the PKB. I never use the PKB anymore and would love a Touch Screen that I can get from Verizon Wireless in the USA. I don't want to buy an unlocked phone from Best Buy or Amazon sight unseen - without ever having the opportunity to try it out in a store first. It looks like BlackBerry is hell bent on sticking with the PKB at all cost. Just make a superior touch screen phone to the others - surely you have the technical expertise to do so. Then learn how to market the phone more effectively. Also you need to get it in people's hands more quickly - not 6 months after you announce it. By the time I actually got my Priv it was almost obselete. I am no expert on smartphones - this is just my opinion - a loyal consumer about to jump ship.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-30-18 08:21 AM
    I have been loyal to BlackBerry thus far, but my patience is running out. I went from a Classic to a Priv because I wanted the larger screen as well as the PKB. I never use the PKB anymore and would love a Touch Screen that I can get from Verizon Wireless in the USA. I don't want to buy an unlocked phone from Best Buy or Amazon sight unseen - without ever having the opportunity to try it out in a store first. It looks like BlackBerry is hell bent on sticking with the PKB at all cost. Just make a superior touch screen phone to the others - surely you have the technical expertise to do so. Then learn how to market the phone more effectively. Also you need to get it in people's hands more quickly - not 6 months after you announce it. By the time I actually got my Priv it was almost obselete. I am no expert on smartphones - this is just my opinion - a loyal consumer about to jump ship.
    BlackBerry gave up on device market.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-18 11:54 AM
    The problem is that BlackBerry Mobile is in tough to compete against a sea of slabs, when they have to charge extra because of its secure software and low economies of scale. At least with the physical keyboard, they have another selling feature.
    07-01-18 12:34 PM
    The problem is that BlackBerry Mobile is in tough to compete against a sea of slabs, when they have to charge extra because of its secure software and low economies of scale. At least with the physical keyboard, they have another selling feature.
    There's truth in this...but how hard is it to take a key2 and slap a full touch on it? Seems like there should be decent economies of scale in doing so.
    07-02-18 12:18 AM
    There's truth in this...but how hard is it to take a key2 and slap a full touch on it? Seems like there should be decent economies of scale in doing so.
    I'm not sure what that really means. That was somewhat the story with the Motion as many of its components were common to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    07-02-18 01:05 AM
    I'm not sure what that really means. That was somewhat the story with the Motion as many of its components were common to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    Your response was to ProudCanadian who wants an all touch device. Granted, making a key2 all touch wouldn't solve "all" of his problems with Blackberry Mobile but it would certainly solve some....and at relatively little cost to produce. My point was, that even though competition is tough for vkb's, there's really no reason not to contemporaneously produce an all touch device on par with the then current pkb device. Just make them virtually identical and simultaneously release. I think the vkb users are feeling a little slighted or like second class citizens because they don't have an updated option like pkb customers do, when R&D and production cost really aren't barriers there. So what's the hold up? They'll release a Motion 2 in a year with the same specs as the Key2 has today, but they'll be pretty dated by then. I think that was his issue, at least as I saw it.
    dan99x99 likes this.
    07-02-18 02:32 AM
    ^^ I agree.

BlackBerry has always done this. Release a pkb device, then a vkb device during a separate release cycle. Then a new pkb device... and on and on.

BB10 started with the Z10 slab, then the pkb Q10 months later. They should have been released at the same time.

The people that want to buy the keyboard type they want will get the phone they want.
    07-02-18 09:19 AM
    Your response was to ProudCanadian who wants an all touch device. Granted, making a key2 all touch wouldn't solve "all" of his problems with Blackberry Mobile but it would certainly solve some....and at relatively little cost to produce. My point was, that even though competition is tough for vkb's, there's really no reason not to contemporaneously produce an all touch device on par with the then current pkb device. Just make them virtually identical and simultaneously release. I think the vkb users are feeling a little slighted or like second class citizens because they don't have an updated option like pkb customers do, when R&D and production cost really aren't barriers there. So what's the hold up? They'll release a Motion 2 in a year with the same specs as the Key2 has today, but they'll be pretty dated by then. I think that was his issue, at least as I saw it.
    And with a bezel the size of the Golden Gate Bridge
    08-04-18 07:25 PM
    I am in the same boat. I LOVE BlackBerry but after owning the Keyone, I honestly would like to try a new touch screen phone but something newer, better than the motion.
    The Motion is a very nice device. Hopefully they can continue releasing them. I would buy a Motion 2 and 3 in a heartbeat.
    HighFlight88, MrMax01 and Gajja like this.
    09-10-18 06:46 AM
    Frankly, if you don't value a pkb, there are a lot of choices out there.
    I may not place a high value on a PKB, but Blackberry is also about their productivity software. That is what I personally love most about Blackberry. I also like a full screen, and I like Blackberry's virtual keyboard a lot. After my Priv died, I resorted to buying another Priv to keep the features I like about Blackberry and not switch to some generic android device.
    branflakes likes this.
    01-01-19 12:04 AM
    And with a bezel the size of the Golden Gate Bridge
    Non-issue. The bezel-less fad is silly. Much rather have front speakers, normal/good earpiece, no notch, and a proud company's logo.

Edit: forgot another important one, a physical front finger-print sensor (faster than in-screen).
    Last edited by PRIVuser2018; 01-09-19 at 08:07 PM.
    01-08-19 04:35 PM
    Non-issue. The bezel-less fad is silly. Much rather have front speakers, normal/good earpiece, no notch, and a proud company's logo.
    I prefer bezels as it make ther I typing experience smoother on a VKB imo. And for the above reasons.
    01-09-19 05:51 PM
    If they aren't going to release another full touch screen, at least allow us to subscribe to the BlackBerry Virtual Keyboard. My wife's Samsung S9 is a great phone, but the VKB sucks - I'm sure she'd pay a small subscription fee for a BlackBerry VKB
    01-18-19 02:41 PM
    If they aren't going to release another full touch screen, at least allow us to subscribe to the BlackBerry Virtual Keyboard. My wife's Samsung S9 is a great phone, but the VKB sucks - I'm sure she'd pay a small subscription fee for a BlackBerry VKB
    They don't really own it, and SwiftKey isn't looking for direct competition... and with Microsoft now owning SwiftKey, doubt there is much room for renegotiation.

Search Cobalt & BlackBerry Apps...
    01-18-19 03:04 PM
    They don't really own it, and SwiftKey isn't looking for direct competition... and with Microsoft now owning SwiftKey, doubt there is much room for renegotiation.

Search Cobalt & BlackBerry Apps...
    BlackBerry is working on keyboard software that does not require the use of the Swiftkey licence. It should be ready in the next few months. I expect it will then be incorporated into the app suite.
    01-18-19 03:08 PM
    BlackBerry is working on keyboard software that does not require the use of the Swiftkey licence. It should be ready in the next few months. I expect it will then be incorporated into the app suite.
    I am very glad to read that. The day that they add the BlackBerry Keyboard to the BlackBerry Hub+ subscription is the same day I am getting a BlackBerry Hub+ subscription. I have been using Gboard (Google Keyboard) for the past 2 months and still 2 months later I miss the BlackBerry Keyboard (VKB) multiple times a day. In terms of typing Gboard just does not do it for me. The flick typing on the virtual keyboard on BlackBerry simply is the best and most efficient VKB typing experience I have ever had.

Also even if they had an ad supported free version of the BlackBerry Keyboard I would still pay for the BlackBerry Hub+ subscription without a second thought because the BlackBerry Keyboard VKB (first experience was on the BlackBerry Z30) is far and away the best virtual keyboard having used BB10, Android, and iOS 12.
    raylenn likes this.
    01-19-19 01:54 PM
    It would be nice if the actual BB keyboard they're working on has the chrome frets between the rows like in the BB10 slabs.
    Or maybe even have the option to make it a curved style keyboard like 9900.

None of this would move me away from my LE of course, but it would be cool features to have for someone who really wants to use the BB VKB.
    01-23-19 11:15 AM
    Hi Guys, I am also a proud Canadian who loves his Blackberry's! Unfortunately, they are not keeping up with the times. I started with a Pearl, Bold 9000, Storm 9530, Torch 9800, Bold 9930, Z30, Passport, Priv to the DTeK60.(Which was my Favourite BB) The predictive text was scary good on the BB10 platform, it is not as good on the android versions but it is still much better than all other touch keyboards I've experienced. Now the bad, I have upgraded to a Note 9, I have added the Blackberry package it has helped then I added the Blackberry Keyboard. I found an old link on Crackberry. It works awesome. I hope they add the Keyboard to the package. Also I miss the DTeK security. Wish they would make a competitive High end all touch phone with stereo speakers and a better camera but until then I'll live with my Note 9. I do love the Note 9 with the Blackberry ugrades, The stylus with remote is game changing, the camera is wow, Battery life rocks and the Screen is amazing. it's the best phone I've had, over other S7 and apples.
    02-19-19 01:11 AM
    Hi Guys, I am also a proud Canadian who loves his Blackberry's! Unfortunately, they are not keeping up with the times. I started with a Pearl, Bold 9000, Storm 9530, Torch 9800, Bold 9930, Z30, Passport, Priv to the DTeK60.(Which was my Favourite BB) The predictive text was scary good on the BB10 platform, it is not as good on the android versions but it is still much better than all other touch keyboards I've experienced. Now the bad, I have upgraded to a Note 9, I have added the Blackberry package it has helped then I added the Blackberry Keyboard. I found an old link on Crackberry. It works awesome. I hope they add the Keyboard to the package. Also I miss the DTeK security. Wish they would make a competitive High end all touch phone with stereo speakers and a better camera but until then I'll live with my Note 9. I do love the Note 9 with the Blackberry ugrades, The stylus with remote is game changing, the camera is wow, Battery life rocks and the Screen is amazing. it's the best phone I've had, over other S7 and apples.
    Unfortunately, there’s no reason to make anything but the software. It’s why BlackBerry exited hardware.
    02-19-19 06:15 AM
    You already have a permissions monitor in the OS (Settings > Biometrics and security > Permission usage monitor) that should cover most of DTEK without the randomly broken integrity check functions.
    02-19-19 06:26 AM
    I hope so. There must be a good market for the excellent BlackBerry keyboard. I jumped ship to Google Pixel 3, very good high end slab. and downloaded BlackBerry software. The keyboard isn't available although I downloaded it from elsewhere.
    02-28-19 12:55 PM
    I hope so. There must be a good market for the excellent BlackBerry keyboard. I jumped ship to Google Pixel 3, very good high end slab. and downloaded BlackBerry software. The keyboard isn't available although I downloaded it from elsewhere.
    How's the battery life on that Pixel 3 ?
    03-01-19 03:22 PM
    How's the battery life on that Pixel 3 ?
    The battery is very good. Not as good as the Motion obviously and I'm not a particularly heavy user. I've had no problems and the phone manages the battery level and adjusts.
    03-01-19 05:37 PM
  24. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I doubt we will ever see another all touch phone from bbry / tcl... makes no sense....

They should stick with pkb..but even there we may not see anything before 2020...imo

Posted via CB10
    03-02-19 08:07 AM
    I doubt we will ever see another all touch phone from bbry / tcl... makes no sense....

They should stick with pkb..but even there we may not see anything before 2020...imo

Posted via CB10
    From a business perspective, this sounds most likely..
    03-02-19 06:39 PM
53 123