09-10-18 07:46 AM
34 12
tools
    I have been loyal to BlackBerry thus far, but my patience is running out. I went from a Classic to a Priv because I wanted the larger screen as well as the PKB. I never use the PKB anymore and would love a Touch Screen that I can get from Verizon Wireless in the USA. I don't want to buy an unlocked phone from Best Buy or Amazon sight unseen - without ever having the opportunity to try it out in a store first. It looks like BlackBerry is hell bent on sticking with the PKB at all cost. Just make a superior touch screen phone to the others - surely you have the technical expertise to do so. Then learn how to market the phone more effectively. Also you need to get it in people's hands more quickly - not 6 months after you announce it. By the time I actually got my Priv it was almost obselete. I am no expert on smartphones - this is just my opinion - a loyal consumer about to jump ship.
    pdr733 likes this.
    06-30-18 09:21 AM
    I have been loyal to BlackBerry thus far, but my patience is running out. I went from a Classic to a Priv because I wanted the larger screen as well as the PKB. I never use the PKB anymore and would love a Touch Screen that I can get from Verizon Wireless in the USA. I don't want to buy an unlocked phone from Best Buy or Amazon sight unseen - without ever having the opportunity to try it out in a store first. It looks like BlackBerry is hell bent on sticking with the PKB at all cost. Just make a superior touch screen phone to the others - surely you have the technical expertise to do so. Then learn how to market the phone more effectively. Also you need to get it in people's hands more quickly - not 6 months after you announce it. By the time I actually got my Priv it was almost obselete. I am no expert on smartphones - this is just my opinion - a loyal consumer about to jump ship.
    BlackBerry gave up on device market.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-18 12:54 PM
    The problem is that BlackBerry Mobile is in tough to compete against a sea of slabs, when they have to charge extra because of its secure software and low economies of scale. At least with the physical keyboard, they have another selling feature.
    07-01-18 01:34 PM
    The problem is that BlackBerry Mobile is in tough to compete against a sea of slabs, when they have to charge extra because of its secure software and low economies of scale. At least with the physical keyboard, they have another selling feature.
    There's truth in this...but how hard is it to take a key2 and slap a full touch on it? Seems like there should be decent economies of scale in doing so.
    07-02-18 01:18 AM
    There's truth in this...but how hard is it to take a key2 and slap a full touch on it? Seems like there should be decent economies of scale in doing so.
    I'm not sure what that really means. That was somewhat the story with the Motion as many of its components were common to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    07-02-18 02:05 AM
    I'm not sure what that really means. That was somewhat the story with the Motion as many of its components were common to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.
    Your response was to ProudCanadian who wants an all touch device. Granted, making a key2 all touch wouldn't solve "all" of his problems with Blackberry Mobile but it would certainly solve some....and at relatively little cost to produce. My point was, that even though competition is tough for vkb's, there's really no reason not to contemporaneously produce an all touch device on par with the then current pkb device. Just make them virtually identical and simultaneously release. I think the vkb users are feeling a little slighted or like second class citizens because they don't have an updated option like pkb customers do, when R&D and production cost really aren't barriers there. So what's the hold up? They'll release a Motion 2 in a year with the same specs as the Key2 has today, but they'll be pretty dated by then. I think that was his issue, at least as I saw it.
    dan99x99 likes this.
    07-02-18 03:32 AM
    ^^ I agree.

BlackBerry has always done this. Release a pkb device, then a vkb device during a separate release cycle. Then a new pkb device... and on and on.

BB10 started with the Z10 slab, then the pkb Q10 months later. They should have been released at the same time.

The people that want to buy the keyboard type they want will get the phone they want.
    07-02-18 10:19 AM
    Your response was to ProudCanadian who wants an all touch device. Granted, making a key2 all touch wouldn't solve "all" of his problems with Blackberry Mobile but it would certainly solve some....and at relatively little cost to produce. My point was, that even though competition is tough for vkb's, there's really no reason not to contemporaneously produce an all touch device on par with the then current pkb device. Just make them virtually identical and simultaneously release. I think the vkb users are feeling a little slighted or like second class citizens because they don't have an updated option like pkb customers do, when R&D and production cost really aren't barriers there. So what's the hold up? They'll release a Motion 2 in a year with the same specs as the Key2 has today, but they'll be pretty dated by then. I think that was his issue, at least as I saw it.
    And with a bezel the size of the Golden Gate Bridge
    08-04-18 08:25 PM
    I am in the same boat. I LOVE BlackBerry but after owning the Keyone, I honestly would like to try a new touch screen phone but something newer, better than the motion.
    The Motion is a very nice device. Hopefully they can continue releasing them. I would buy a Motion 2 and 3 in a heartbeat.
    HighFlight88 and Gajja like this.
    09-10-18 07:46 AM
34 12