02-08-15 08:24 AM
50 12
tools
    Hi. I'm new here at the forums, but I'm not new to Blackberry. Has anyone heard if there are any new goings on about the Visa/Victoria rumors? Or will that have to wait until March 2015?

I loved my Blackberry Torch. The only reason I gave it up about 2 years ago was the apps (or lack thereof). When my contract came up for renewal, I replaced it with a Samsung Captivate Glide - the last android slider that Samsung seems to have made. It was "ok," but never really had the feel of the Torch. One day the Glide slipped out of my fingers and crashed to the ground, shattering the screen. Until the phone was replaced, I pulled back out my Torch. Still worked, and the feel of the keyboard was far superior. My phone insurance replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Express. I've hated that phone ever since. I don't like touch screen texting. I don't like the constant errors made by the swiping. I DESPISE typing numbers because the second number typed always erases the first, so I have to go back and retype. The only things holding me back from going and using the Torch (which still works and holds a charge longer than this stupid Samsung) are the outdated OS and the rigmarole of changes to my ATT plan for the change back to Blackberry (unless that has changed).

At this point, I'm hoping that the Classic is available at ATT by February, when my contract is up for renewal. I'd invest in a Passport, but I'd rather have a chance to touch it before I spent 1/4 of my monthly salary on it. But if I know a new Blackberry slider is coming out, or at least being announced, around March, then I'd suffer a month or two more with this piece of crap I'm using now.

A big part of me still likes the slider. The most of a physical issue I ever had with my Torch was a bit of chipping around the front edges from being put into my pocket with my keys. Weight was never an issue. Just apps, and now that the BB10 can run android, the app issue is gone.

So please, is there any current news?
    Trully likes this.
    12-18-14 12:00 PM
    I doubt they (BB) have a "slider" in the pipeline, With the Passport, and now the launch of the Classic, the next device rumored out there for the next device launch is another touch unit (Z50?)
    12-18-14 12:32 PM
    I doubt they (BB) have a "slider" in the pipeline, With the Passport, and now the launch of the Classic, the next device rumored out there for the next device launch is another touch unit (Z50?)
    Well, the Visa is a real rumored device (patent was filed) that is said to have a fold-away keyboard. So it's kind of like a slider. Let's see if they actually make it...
    casey76 and Anthony Roberts5 like this.
    12-19-14 01:07 AM
    Hi. I'm new here at the forums, but I'm not new to Blackberry. Has anyone heard if there are any new goings on about the Visa/Victoria rumors? Or will that have to wait until March 2015?

I loved my Blackberry Torch. The only reason I gave it up about 2 years ago was the apps (or lack thereof). When my contract came up for renewal, I replaced it with a Samsung Captivate Glide - the last android slider that Samsung seems to have made. It was "ok," but never really had the feel of the Torch. One day the Glide slipped out of my fingers and crashed to the ground, shattering the screen. Until the phone was replaced, I pulled back out my Torch. Still worked, and the feel of the keyboard was far superior. My phone insurance replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Express. I've hated that phone ever since. I don't like touch screen texting. I don't like the constant errors made by the swiping. I DESPISE typing numbers because the second number typed always erases the first, so I have to go back and retype. The only things holding me back from going and using the Torch (which still works and holds a charge longer than this stupid Samsung) are the outdated OS and the rigmarole of changes to my ATT plan for the change back to Blackberry (unless that has changed).

At this point, I'm hoping that the Classic is available at ATT by February, when my contract is up for renewal. I'd invest in a Passport, but I'd rather have a chance to touch it before I spent 1/4 of my monthly salary on it. But if I know a new Blackberry slider is coming out, or at least being announced, around March, then I'd suffer a month or two more with this piece of crap I'm using now.

A big part of me still likes the slider. The most of a physical issue I ever had with my Torch was a bit of chipping around the front edges from being put into my pocket with my keys. Weight was never an issue. Just apps, and now that the BB10 can run android, the app issue is gone.

Here check my thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=984506

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    12-19-14 08:45 PM
    Thanks. I'm hoping they do come up with something more like the patent. But I'd like to see something further along.
    12-19-14 08:59 PM

I had the Torch 2 as well, which I loved. Then I upgraded to the Z30 which is awesome !

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    12-20-14 08:30 PM
    Look for something to satisfy the Torch crowd in June. That's all I'm saying!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 09:31 PM
    Just an FYI @OP
    BB10 does NOT run android, it can run most android *APPS on the other hand.

Lots of new users to bb10 make the mistake of thinking it can run all apps. But because of legal issues with Google and whatnot, we can't use Google play services. Which means that you tube and Gmail and hangouts won't ever work (although you can use Gmail through the BlackBerry HUB and you can use the browser YouTube or go through some semi-techy stuff (instructions posted online). Hangouts and a few others on the other hand, you cannot use).

That means that those apps, any other apps that rely on Google play services, and a couple of other exceptions will not work. That means about 90% of android apps WILL work

Posted via CB10
    12-20-14 09:48 PM
    Look for something to satisfy the Torch crowd in June. That's all I'm saying!

Posted via CB10
    Apparently there is a new device launching in March 2015, a Z10 replacement "mid range" find this hard to believe since there has been no news on the subject but I'm keen to see an "upgrade" for the Z10 and also a new slider I would definitely buy a slider since I can't give up my qwerty but would like a bigger screen (no tool - belt) and passport is a tad to wide for my taste

Posted via BlackBerry Q5 on 10.2.1.3442
    12-21-14 02:23 PM
    I believe the road map is scheduled to be presented in March, but the new devices would follow that time.

Posted via CB10
    casey76 likes this.
    12-21-14 02:40 PM

Hi,
    is there a reason why you don't want to get the Q10?
    It's screen is basically the same size as the torch, it has a bigger and better keyboard, is affordable, and bang up to date hardware/os.
    12-23-14 06:26 PM
    Hi,
    is there a reason why you don't want to get the Q10?
    It's screen is basically the same size as the torch, it has a bigger and better keyboard, is affordable, and bang up to date hardware/os.
    I really do like my Torch. I like the slider because when I'm not typing, the keys are out of the way.
    12-23-14 07:29 PM
    If we are going to hear anything about the visa it'll be around March

Posted via Z30 from the sunny Okanagan
    12-24-14 12:47 PM
    Just an FYI @OP
    BB10 does NOT run android, it can run most android *APPS on the other hand.

Lots of new users to bb10 make the mistake of thinking it can run all apps. But because of legal issues with Google and whatnot, we can't use Google play services. Which means that you tube and Gmail and hangouts won't ever work (although you can use Gmail through the BlackBerry HUB and you can use the browser YouTube or go through some semi-techy stuff (instructions posted online). Hangouts and a few others on the other hand, you cannot use).

That means that those apps, any other apps that rely on Google play services, and a couple of other exceptions will not work. That means about 90% of android apps WILL work

Posted via CB10
    Except that your percentage of working android apps may be falling ever so slightly by the day. Google seems to be pushing more and more developers into requiring Google play services even if they don't use or even need them for anything...

...I'm looking at you, WatchESPN!!

That means having to rely more on apps from other sources like the Amazon App Store, but those just get older and older as they don't get updated nearly as often once Google Play Services are in the mix. After a while, only the bigger apps will bother to keep Google services and non-Google services apps in development.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 11:19 AM
    Lets just say after two months of z30 ownership and not being able to find a call blocker that works properly or with 5 stars is pretty sad.
    01-06-15 03:19 AM
    Sure you can Call Block on the Z30. You can perform this on any BB10 based device. Either from Native by the OS or from an App.

http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Smar...blackberry_z30

I've yet to have a problem with the original version for the OS. You can also try Power Tools. Also 2, 3, 4 and 5 Stars is irrelevant. People have different opinions and expectations.
    Posted by Q5
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    01-06-15 08:42 AM
    01-12-15 01:55 AM
    That sounds awesome. Wish it had a full keyboard though.

Posted via CB10
    srzjumper likes this.
    01-12-15 02:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah I think this is BlackBerry's device of 2015.

Did you at one point ask about instagram notifications?

Because some BB10 devices are seeing notifications pushed to the hub.

This is for the official android instagram.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=985453

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by The Big Picture; 01-12-15 at 04:39 AM.
    01-12-15 04:19 AM
    Check out this link:
    http://www.dhabkirkdesigns.com/2015/...culation-real/
    Still don't really get the 3 row keyboard but I guess we don't have a choice.
    It mentions 10.3.2 \=D/
    If it works automatically like it mentions then it's going to be really slick! Like cool to another level.

Q5 SQR100-3/10.2.1.3442
    01-12-15 05:26 AM
    Wow this could be interesting

Z10
    01-12-15 06:29 AM
    Based on the new information given, I would have to see the device actually working before I make a judgement.

After all, this device could be scrapped. I think the pull out keyboard would lead to many problems but we will have to wait and see

01-12-15 07:53 AM
    Based on the new information given, I would have to see the device actually working before I make a judgement.

After all, this device could be scrapped. I think the pull out keyboard would lead to many problems but we will have to wait and see

I agree about the pull out keyboard possibly being problematic.

The diagram seems like it would be a very thick device to do what it wants to do. I know diagrams don't mean much once development starts, but, physically, the space needed for the shell to swing and hold the extended keyboard in place and still look clean in either position doesn't seem to allow for a thin profile. And the auto-eject idea sounds cool at first, but then think about how that would work while holding the device. If you hold it with your index finger supporting the bottom, then you happen to hit in a text field, then that thing pops out on you - could just take some getting used to.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-15 08:48 AM
    It looks interesting, but the design of the mechanism, to me at least, looks like it has too many potential ways to break.
    01-12-15 12:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yep, agree, I lost interest in it the moment I saw the keyboard will only have 3 rows...
    01-13-15 12:27 AM
50 12