07-27-10 05:32 PM
94 ... 234
tools
    WAFlowers,

Just out of curiosity, what is the "disk"/memory footprint of QNX? I'm curious to see how it compares to other OS's in the phone space.

Scott
    07-12-10 02:35 PM
    There's something very secretive going on and blackberry6 can be a diversion
    07-12-10 02:37 PM
    There's something very secretive going on and blackberry6 can be a diversion
    I wouldn't say its a distraction. More of a stop gap. I think OS 5 was under way when android started heating up and RIM began looking at QNX. I mean why build from scratch what you can buy? But they slap had to address the browser. So in comes torch mobile. The browser could more easily be baked into OS5 so we have OS 6. It really is just bringing things to market and time lines. Besides the qwerty messaging crowd doesn't need more than OS5/6 offers.

That's my take anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 04:38 PM
    Hold the Phone! (no pun intended).

Ok, so they release a teaser video over a month ago using a storm as the phone it's running on.

Supposedly, OS6 will require more mem than the storm or most phones currently have right?

So, does os6 NOT need more memory (hence running on a storm 2), or will it be running on the storm 3?

new os? doubt it.
    07-12-10 04:51 PM
    The Os 6 videos aren't running on any specific device.

07-12-10 06:07 PM
    If it's true, with the 1GHz processor, 8GB of storage and 512 of RAM, it would be a strong smartphone.
    With a lawnmower battery running it, right?
    07-12-10 08:19 PM
    The Os 6 videos aren't running on any specific device.

They could manipulate the screen sizes any way they like for the video, but to me it looks about the size I expect the 9800 to be.

Looks almost the same to me:

New Official BlackBerry 6 Teaser Video! | CrackBerry.com

Wanna get a better look at the BlackBerry WebKit browser? See it in action! [video] | CrackBerry.com
    07-12-10 11:09 PM
    The BB Webkit browser link has been removed from YouTube due to terms of use violation...

Scott
    07-12-10 11:52 PM
    They could manipulate the screen sizes any way they like for the video, but to me it looks about the size I expect the 9800 to be.

Looks almost the same to me:

New Official BlackBerry 6 Teaser Video! | CrackBerry.com

Wanna get a better look at the BlackBerry WebKit browser? See it in action! [video] | CrackBerry.com
    Agreed. I think the videos we are seeing have the slider in mind. This makes sense it will be the device OS6 gets premiered on. (unless we see a leak, or VZW releases it on an S2 just to mess up ATT's day).

Also the little dots in the latest video are clearly representational of fingers touching it.

How would punch zoom work on a 9700? I guess just click to zoom?

07-13-10 07:34 AM
    Who knows? Maybe I do.

I was the senior-most developer at QNX Software Systems for 13 years. Although I left in '97 I still use it and am still in touch with many people in the QNX community.

The info I have is that RIM started hiring QNX insiders approximately 2 years ago. As they approached the release of their QNX-based version they decided to acquire QNX itself.

So it is very probable that we will see a QNX-based BB soon. Very soon. Much sooner than you might otherwise expect!
    Quick Question:
    given the Java-base of the BBOS, could QNX already be at least partially used in current devices without us knowing, most notitably the ones that support OpenGL ES?
    07-15-10 10:39 PM
    If you look at the files in the OS releases (official or not), they don't appear to have changed substantially enough to be QNX-derivative files (from my limited experience). Also, I'm sure that someone with a hex editor could search through the files to see if any have QNX in them (it's almost a given they would say it somewhere, unencoded).

Scott
    07-16-10 02:30 AM
    I would say QNX could possibly show up in the Storm 3 OS (and from there in the development of BB OS7) but I doubt it will be in OS6.
    07-16-10 12:02 PM
    Let's not forget this device will be an LTE device, not CDMA like all of Verizon's past devices. Battery might do a bit better, not worse.
    I thought that my battery was going bad since I was only getting a half day (it is original from the S1 roll-out) but I just upgraded to the 743 hybrid and now it lasts a full day again. I think a lot of the battery problems are software (radio?)
    07-16-10 04:36 PM
    I thought that my battery was going bad since I was only getting a half day (it is original from the S1 roll-out) but I just upgraded to the 743 hybrid and now it lasts a full day again. I think a lot of the battery problems are software (radio?)
    Depends on who you ask. Some have issues no matter what, some have none at all. My own experience with a Storm2 tells me it's a radio vs how much the screen is being used (lit up), at least with mine. Should be interesting to see how the S3 being on LTE with higher end hardware and a dedicated OS handles whatever battery. For anyone getting it and having to fall back to CDMA it most likely won't last as long, but there's a large number of variables that it's difficult to even speculize. Bottom line is that, for the most part, CDMA is harder on batteries than other network technologies.
    07-16-10 05:25 PM
    does anyone know if the s3 will come with bluetooth 4.0?

i think engadget mentioned that bluetooth 4.0 was supposed to be rolled out to all manufacturers starting in june/july.

200ft compared to 30ft of range is a huge difference!
    07-24-10 12:32 AM
    I don't think anything will come out with BT4.0 until at least next year. They haven't even started to come out with 3.0 yet.

Scott
    07-26-10 03:42 PM
    I don't think anything will come out with BT4.0 until at least next year. They haven't even started to come out with 3.0 yet.

Scott
    The Galaxy S phones have BT 3.0.
    07-26-10 10:10 PM
    The Galaxy S phones have not actually been released in the US yet. They have only been announced.

Still, according to the cNet reviews I've seen, the Galaxy S has BT 2.0. However, after further research, I see that they do indeed have BT 3.0 and will be the first in the US to have BT 3.0 when they are released in the next month or so.

Even given that the Galaxy S phones have been released, BT 4.0 is who knows how far away, which was the main point of my post.

Best regards,

Scott
    07-27-10 01:12 AM
    if it has its own OS they could always use the same sdk as 0S6, change up the ui and whatever and brand it OSS LOL
    07-27-10 05:32 PM
94 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD