07-27-10 06:32 PM
94 1234
tools
    Just found this .... posted few hours ago.

Rumor Mill: Next BlackBerry Storm to sport LTE - FierceWireless

Just another blog rehashing the latest Salomondrin post. Blackberry Storm 3 – Early Specs Salomondrin

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.
    06-29-10 02:25 PM
    Changing the resolution even a little bit would put additional strain on app developers as well.
    Current applications scale the resolution to match the device unless it is developed solely for a specific BB device. This will be a none issue.

A bump in resolution isn't going to hurt the device life nearly as much as a bump in physical size will (which is why Apple I'm sure chose to stay at 3.5)

Specs sound decent for what's out now though, although if this is a LTE device then it has to compete not only with other touchscreen offerings but other 4G devices.
    06-29-10 02:31 PM
    sweet thanks
    06-29-10 02:40 PM
    Just another blog rehashing the latest Salomondrin post. Blackberry Storm 3 Early Specs Salomondrin

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Salomondrin's site is blocked at work so I have no choice but to rely other blogs from time to time. But thanks for being cool about it...
    06-30-10 08:21 AM
    So they are going with a new OS? That should not be a surprise. Remember that RIM acquired QNX? In one move, they acquired (1) an auto navigation business and (2) probably the top commercial embedded OS on the market. Most attention was paid to the auto navigation aspect of the acquisition, but that is a dying business. What would RIM want with that?

Auto navigation gadgets. The rumored tablet. The Storm 3. They all have one major thing in common: they are heavily graphics and touchscreen centric. I would not be surprised if the QNX realtime OS turns out to be the foundation of a new OS platform for RIM.

I use "OS" loosely, as does RIM. What we call the BlackBerry OS is mostly just Java code. It runs on a lower level OS and Java JVM on your phone. In a BB simulator, it runs on your desktop PC's Java. The nice thing about Java is that Java code is completely platform independent. QNX also has a Java runtime available. I would not be surprised if RIM introduced a new touch-centric OS platform based on QNX that also packs a new, faster Java runtime and better touch UI. I would also not be surprised if it is able to run existing BB apps unchanged because RIM could include their existing "Blackberry OS" Java code and API.
    06-30-10 09:00 PM
    Wow how come know one was talking about this before . I don't know thus company at all qnx but the people familiar with it should have figured something out and if you would compare it to what we have seen with bb6 os is the qnx os look the same or better
    06-30-10 10:30 PM
    So they are going with a new OS? That should not be a surprise. Remember that RIM acquired QNX? In one move, they acquired (1) an auto navigation business and (2) probably the top commercial embedded OS on the market. Most attention was paid to the auto navigation aspect of the acquisition, but that is a dying business. What would RIM want with that?

Auto navigation gadgets. The rumored tablet. The Storm 3. They all have one major thing in common: they are heavily graphics and touchscreen centric. I would not be surprised if the QNX realtime OS turns out to be the foundation of a new OS platform for RIM.

I use "OS" loosely, as does RIM. What we call the BlackBerry OS is mostly just Java code. It runs on a lower level OS and Java JVM on your phone. In a BB simulator, it runs on your desktop PC's Java. The nice thing about Java is that Java code is completely platform independent. QNX also has a Java runtime available. I would not be surprised if RIM introduced a new touch-centric OS platform based on QNX that also packs a new, faster Java runtime and better touch UI. I would also not be surprised if it is able to run existing BB apps unchanged because RIM could include their existing "Blackberry OS" Java code and API.
    I totally agree, and actually waiting for the QNX OS to be in BB when they announce the acquisition

Don't forget QNX interface uses flash
    06-30-10 10:35 PM
    Wow how come know one was talking about this before . I don't know thus company at all qnx but the people familiar with it should have figured something out and if you would compare it to what we have seen with bb6 os is the qnx os look the same or better
    QNX is Unix based OS, like Android, like iOS, so how powerful the OS is? Guess there's plenty of example out there
    06-30-10 10:43 PM
    then maybe jim does have a right to feel excited about whatsb comming it is starting to seem the purchase of qnx is a bigger deal then people though when they anounced it do you think rim might of down played it a bit ?
    06-30-10 11:11 PM
    It seems that this is what RIM's wonderful financials have given them. Need a new browser? Go buy a software company that builds webkit engines. OS got yah down? Go buy a company that makes Unix OS kernels.

Problems solved.

Everytime I get down on RIM for doing stuff like posting an OS for partners where the phone doesn't work (5.0.0.685 on Storm 1) I see some really intelligent things like this going on.

So when do we are it? DevCon in Sept?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-10 07:42 AM
    I understand your skepticism because no one really like getting their hopes up, but Sal has been right before and is usually someone worth listening to.
    07-01-10 02:58 PM
    This will be an interesting mystery until we know more. Is this new OS just a different UI on the OS5 kernel or did they actually port the JVM onto the QNX kernel.

I hope the later but that would be ridiculously fast since they just acquired QNX in April. Of course they could have been playing with it before the acquisition. Who knows.

07-01-10 05:25 PM
    It seems many here are trying to ASSUME that the next OS will be QNX based. QNX appears as though it would be very appropriate for this purpose.

QNX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It would be nice if RIM would let us know SOMETHING. Since they are apparently behind the curve OS-wise, I can't see how leaking some news on their OS direction could hurt them with developers, customers, or competitively.

Scott
    07-01-10 05:58 PM
    This will be an interesting mystery until we know more. Is this new OS just a different UI on the OS5 kernel or did they actually port the JVM onto the QNX kernel.

I hope the later but that would be ridiculously fast since they just acquired QNX in April. Of course they could have been playing with it before the acquisition. Who knows.
    QNX already has two commercial, Java ME-compliant JVMs available: IBM WebSphere Micro Edition and JamaicaVM. The latter is intriguing because it is a "hard realtime" JVM implementation.

QNX OS operates at a level below the visibility of most BB developers. I suspect RIM could quickly slap their Java-based BlackBerry OS on top of QNX+JVM and you wouldn't even notice the difference. The question is what things RIM wants to do that will take advantage of QNX's strengths.
    07-01-10 11:48 PM
    would telus get the s3?
    07-02-10 02:33 PM
    lots of good info here... for my boring day at work... Thanks guys
    07-02-10 08:01 PM
    And I find it very hard to believe that RIM would put Sure Press on another handset. Maybe it's called Sure Press, but IMO I don't think it'll be the same as the S1/S2 Sure Press.
    Okay, that's it.
    My question, is why everyone seems to hate the sure-press. I love the sure-press and honestly, that is why i bought the storm 2. Sal does say the new storm has sure-press implemented in a new way. I would be a little pissed if RIM completely killed sure-press. I hate the feeling of the static touch screens (i.e. Iphone and droid). Just my two cents.
    07-03-10 12:39 AM
    I am hoping for SurePress with the ability to disable and just have touch like the slider. If RIM were smart they would do this. The device would appeal to many more users.
    07-03-10 11:33 AM
    would telus get the s3?

yes. They would be first

they share networks with Verizon
    07-03-10 12:31 PM
    I agree that a way to turn SurePress off (should already be possible on the S2 if it were enabled in the UI) could be nice for those people who just don't like it, but I agree with posters above in that I really like it (even the much poorer S1 mechanical version lets me type faster than my friends on static touch screens...although I'd guess that Swype-enabled Android phones probably can beat me out) and would be upset if future Storm releases ditched SurePress altogether.
    07-03-10 03:09 PM
    If it's true, with the 1GHz processor, 8GB of storage and 512 of RAM, it would be a strong smartphone.
    07-04-10 04:22 AM
    Is it safe to assume the Storm 3 will also be a world phone?

Does anyone think it will have video out capability? What about wifi hotspot (like pre plus and androids running froyo)?

07-04-10 10:04 AM
    Is it safe to assume the Storm 3 will also be a world phone?

Does anyone think it will have video out capability? What about wifi hotspot (like pre plus and androids running froyo)?

I'm thinking it most likely will be, and if we're lucky it will have north american HSPA bands also.

Video out is kinda doubtful though, and WiFi hotspot has to be enabled in the OS
    07-04-10 01:13 PM
    Who knows? Maybe I do.

I was the senior-most developer at QNX Software Systems for 13 years. Although I left in '97 I still use it and am still in touch with many people in the QNX community.

The info I have is that RIM started hiring QNX insiders approximately 2 years ago. As they approached the release of their QNX-based version they decided to acquire QNX itself.

So it is very probable that we will see a QNX-based BB soon. Very soon. Much sooner than you might otherwise expect!
    07-12-10 03:11 PM
    Who knows? Maybe I do.

I was the senior-most developer at QNX Software Systems for 13 years. Although I left in '97 I still use it and am still in touch with many people in the QNX community.

The info I have is that RIM started hiring QNX insiders approximately 2 years ago. As they approached the release of their QNX-based version they decided to acquire QNX itself.

So it is very probable that we will see a QNX-based BB soon. Very soon. Much sooner than you might otherwise expect!
    As someone knowledgeable about QNX can speak at all about the challenges in integrating RIMS OS with it?
    07-12-10 03:21 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD