07-27-10 05:32 PM
94 1234
tools
    well hopefully this rumor is true because RIM really needs to create a pretty much "ground breaking" device to compete with the droid x/droid pro and the iphone 4. i believe if they are able to work out majority of the bugs in this "new os", and make sure that developers will not have a hard time creating apps for the new os, RIM might actually be able to keep up with the competion. they might even beat the iphone 4 with all its current problems lol, but no one knows only time will tell

btw DeRusset i like your signature
    06-28-10 12:01 PM
    I like the specs and the possibility of this "Storm 3. BUT.....is this supposed to be an answer to what coming out now...or....is this suppose to jump out in front of the phones for 2011?
    06-28-10 01:45 PM
    I am playing it safe and not believing any of it.
    I like the part that discusses the rationale RIM had for keeping such a device so quiet. Are RIM decision makers really that out of touch? Let's hope not....

Blackberry Storm 3 – Early Specs Salomondrin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I wouldn't believe him either. That guy is kind of a douch3
    06-28-10 02:25 PM
    Honestly, I'd prefer no information re: Storm 3 was leaked, and have it be a suprirse.. good or bad; but, I know I'm in a VERY SMALL MINORITY!!
    06-28-10 03:00 PM
    With blackberry OS6 would be a consideration to go back to blackberry, because the email still remains to be blackberry's strong point
    06-28-10 03:05 PM
    ROFL. Classic.

06-28-10 03:33 PM
    On LTE - VZW is launching in November at present. They finalized initial testing and are in 'friendly user' testing starting in August. They have stayed that they would have at least 5 handsets BY May 2011. Since Sprint has released the Evo and has plans for a few more '4G' handsets soon I think VZW wants to have some 4G devices for the Holidays this year.

On chipset - 1 GHz is prett much all that they make that supports LTE. Google Qualcomm LTE chipsets and you'll see what is out. They are pretty sick for video and 3G compatibility.

On the OS- if you think about it, its probably not a new kernel. Once they incorporated Webkit to OS 5 .x and rebranded it as OS6 they probably just created 2 forks in the UI. One for trackpads and one for touchscreens. So if you go down deep enough they are probably the same. But as far as presentstuin and interaction they probably have a lot of differeenves. Most likely like a sense UI sitting over android. Storm will probably have another layer of UI over the base OS. RIM has commented about more featured and less featured versions of OS6 so this is probably just a progression of that.

I think that's all I got.....

06-28-10 03:44 PM
    So if this storm3 is coming out before christmas when would verizon have to start field testing it. As far as the storm1 did they field test it at all I don't think they did
    06-28-10 03:49 PM
    Awesome. >.<
    Naw, Sal never gets it right, who'd believe anything he posted? /sarcasm
    06-28-10 04:34 PM
    I like what I see, except for it having an OS aimed at consumers. It almost sounds as if it might cause us to lose all the great business features that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.
    06-28-10 04:40 PM
    With the current processor, the phone's battery life is horrible. Well better then the Droid and Incredible but barely better.

With the 1GHz processor, battery life is gonna be crappy.

I do hope they put a better battery in that phone then the current batteries used in the S1 and S2.
    06-28-10 07:36 PM
    With the current processor, the phone's battery life is horrible. Well better then the Droid and Incredible but barely better.

I do hope they put a better battery in that phone then the current batteries used in the S1 and S2.
    How about dynamic clocking??
    06-28-10 07:40 PM

Let's not forget this device will be an LTE device, not CDMA like all of Verizon's past devices. Battery might do a bit better, not worse.
    06-28-10 07:45 PM
    Let's not forget this device will be an LTE device, not CDMA like all of Verizon's past devices. Battery might do a bit better, not worse.
    I hope they don't go ape**** for bragging rights in the pixel race, like Apple just did. I mean, I've SEEN the Jesus phone and it's no big deal. The screen is so small that all they are doing is specmanship. Sure, a photo might look a bit better (it DID, but big whoopie), but wouldn't it have been nice if they'd used a super bright screen like the Storm has? Show me a phone that is as easy to view in bright sunlight. My S2 BLOWS my Touch out of the water with screen brightness in bright ambient light that triggers the Storm's maximum display brightness mode. Apple is, as usual, focusing on all the wrong things for ME. But they sure can fool many of the people, much of the time...
    06-28-10 07:50 PM
    I hope they don't go ape**** for bragging rights in the pixel race, like Apple just did. I mean, I've SEEN the Jesus phone and it's no big deal. The screen is so small that all they are doing is specmanship. Sure, a photo might look a bit better (it DID, but big whoopie), but wouldn't it have been nice if they'd used a super bright screen like the Storm has? Show me a phone that is as easy to view in bright sunlight. My S2 BLOWS my Touch out of the water with screen brightness in bright ambient light that triggers the Storm's maximum display brightness mode. Apple is, as usual, focusing on all the wrong things for ME. But they sure can fool many of the people, much of the time...
    Same for me; function over form. Utopia = both.
    06-28-10 08:02 PM

***Tequila develops her super secret plan***

I think I'll go get him drunk and take the Storm 3 from him when he's passed out!
    06-28-10 08:13 PM
    Let's not forget it's also going to be an LTE, CDMA, and (most likely) GSM world phone. It will need to be able to get CDMA in non-LTE areas. I'm not saying battery life is going to be better or worse, but it will be CDMA in addition to LTE if it is indeed an LTE phone as the rumors suggest.
    06-29-10 02:52 AM
    I agree with you 100%. High resolutions just kill the battery and bog down the processor. I hope they keep the resolution the same, and I sure as **** hope they keep the screen size the same. I'm not going to buy the Storm3 if I cannot use it with one hand, no matter how much better the specs are.
    06-29-10 04:40 AM
    I agree with you 100%. High resolutions just kill the battery and bog down the processor. I hope they keep the resolution the same, and I sure as **** hope they keep the screen size the same. I'm not going to buy the Storm3 if I cannot use it with one hand, no matter how much better the specs are.
    They said it is in a Storm 2 body, so the form factor should be the same for the screen.

I disagree on resolution. Same would be fail. Going buts with HD AMOLED would also be a fail. They need higher resolution, to be a considered a media savvy device, but they should stay realistic. Best of both worlds, as someone pointed out earlier.
    06-29-10 04:47 AM
    They said it is in a Storm 2 body, so the form factor should be the same for the screen.

I disagree on resolution. Same would be fail. Going buts with HD AMOLED would also be a fail. They need higher resolution, to be a considered a media savvy device, but they should stay realistic. Best of both worlds, as someone pointed out earlier.
    Changing the resolution even a little bit would put additional strain on app developers as well.
    06-29-10 05:00 AM
    Changing the resolution even a little bit would put additional strain on app developers as well.
    That's true but the 4 app developers for BB will just have to update all 12 of their apps. ; )

seriously to release the S3 with the same resolution as the previous 2 models, consideing the high leve of competition would be a very poor decision on RIM's part. It would be much worse than 128 minute of ram on the S1 and lack of Wifi on the tour.

They just have to give the sop developers better development tools or set the OS to auto adjust the resolution as Apple did.

06-29-10 06:55 AM
    Every once in a while, OS's need to be overhauled.

IMO, one of the problems with the Storm OS is that it has a touch screen interface layered on top of a keyboard system. If this were a PC with much more horsepower/memory, no problem. However, it is a problem with the current limitations of phones.

On the other hand, adding keyboard support to a touch screen interface should be much easier. So a native touch OS could have benefits. In addition, it could give RIM an opportunity to make app development much easier for developers. After all, the original OS wasn't really designed for expansion through apps... another add-on.

Anyway, I hope they do start over. While the pain (lack of apps) in the short term will be greater, it could prove to be much better in the long term. The less legacy RIM tries to support, the more efficiencies, robustness, and capabilities they can enable.

Hey, even Microsoft has had to start dropping legacy code to move forward. I see no reason why RIM should be any different. They "only" need to ensure that their development tools help support the change.

My $.02 anyway...

Scott
    06-29-10 09:17 AM
    On the OS- if you think about it, its probably not a new kernel. Once they incorporated Webkit to OS 5 .x and rebranded it as OS6 they probably just created 2 forks in the UI. One for trackpads and one for touchscreens.
    My money is on this. It's just not financially feasible for a company to build a completely new OS for a single type of device in a product line. It would be like MS completely rewriting an OS for Acer Netbooks.
    06-29-10 10:50 AM
    I think The Engine is right on this one. People should not expect this to be a completely different OS. There no way. I think its gonna be much improved seeing as how the Storm line is going to be their biggest consumer offering. We'll probably see a completely revamped home screen and a much more finger friendly layout, but it will not be a completely new OS. RIM is having trouble getting developers to develope for one OS, so two are out of the question.

Screw the slider, this phone will bring back into conversations of the best smartphones on the market. People who want the same resolution and screen size are gonna have to stay with the storm2 because there is no way Verizon is going to let RIM put out the same crap with virtually the same specs as last years model when this is "supposed to be their first or second" LTE offering......and rightfully so.

I'm sorry.....I love my battery life just as much as the next person, but its time RIM give us the powerhouse that we've been waiting on. I love RIMs products but watching android and apple seeming lap them has been very hard......all I ask is for something comparable and I feel many others feel that way. There are enough conservative BB's in the market. This phone doesn't even need to best phones coming out in 2011 like some suggest. I'll just be happy with somethin comparable (spec wise) to powerhouse out now......

Other than that....I'm extremely happy to see this news. I believe u Sal.
    06-29-10 12:09 PM
    06-29-10 12:22 PM
94 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD