07-27-10 06:32 PM
94 123 ...
tools
    I am playing it safe and not believing any of it.
    I like the part that discusses the rationale RIM had for keeping such a device so quiet. Are RIM decision makers really that out of touch? Let's hope not....

http://www.salomondrin.net/2010/06/27/storm-3-early-specs/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-28-10 07:05 AM
    I am playing it safe and not believing any of it.
    I like the part that discusses the rationale RIM had for keeping such a device so quiet. Are RIM decision makers really that out of touch? Let's hope not....

Blackberry Storm 3 – Early Specs Salomondrin

based on past posts by sal that have had pretty much everything right, id be tempted to believe it. he doesnt come across as someone who just guesses, most of his info is solid
    06-28-10 07:22 AM
    Everything ive ever heard sal leak has had some truth to it
    06-28-10 07:57 AM
    As rumour info goes, Sal is usually pretty good...
    06-28-10 08:10 AM
    OMG I love a few points!

the S3 will not run OS6 ++ that means a different development train! they potentially are going to split the business/consumer phone ooh that could be exciting!
    06-28-10 08:21 AM
    Finally something that sounds a little credible and looks good.
    06-28-10 08:42 AM
    Sounds awesome, can't wait especially having it's own Storm specific OS.
    06-28-10 08:56 AM
    I want to believe it too - finally a competitive processor? - but RIM sure has been a little dry lately on delivering good news, and I still don't see the advantage in not reporting new cutting edge devices... Who doesn't want to grab consumer attention and try to earn their dollar? unless the dirty dark secret is that August is the date they plan on beginning to officially advertise it....

...meaning no release until probably next year. Come on, RIM, save your reputation from complete destruction.

06-28-10 09:35 AM
    I want to believe it too - finally a competitive processor? - but RIM sure has been a little dry lately on delivering good news, and I still don't see the advantage in not reporting new cutting edge devices... Who doesn't want to grab consumer attention and try to earn their dollar? unless the dirty dark secret is that August is the date they plan on beginning to officially advertise it....

...meaning no release until probably next year. Come on, RIM, save your reputation from complete destruction.

Did you not read the speculations?
    it will run on LTE, which means RIM can't announce the phone until VWZ announces LTE roll out, do to liability, if VWZ is delayed, then Rim is delayed and forecasts for both companies are delays

also did you not notice the drop in Rim Shares do to forecasts purely on delayed device launches, if you predict you'll launch a device say in August, but it gets delayed until September you've lost a month of potential earning which will have a negative effect on your quarterly earnings.

I just really hope RIM does this new OS right, I hope they don't just mash it together and put a heavy processor in it to make it numbers competitive.
    06-28-10 10:07 AM
    Errrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I can't get to the link. LOL!!! Google isn't even helping... Man let this only be, because I'm at work. (STRAINED VOICE) MUUUUUUST SEEEEEEEE SSSSSSSPECSSSSSSS!!! LOL
    06-28-10 11:07 AM
    Copy and paste for those users unable to view.
    Here we go again, getting excited about a phone that probably won’t come out until next year. Yes, I’m talking about the Storm 3. A couple of my sources have been talking to me lately about the new Storm 3, and I gotta tell you guys it sounds FREAKING AWESOME!! Everyone knows I’m a huge fan of the Storm 2, but from what I’ve heard so far about the third version of the Storm… I think I’m in love already.
    Here are some Storm 3 specs and info that I’ve heard so far repeatedly from my sources:
    1. Its being tested by a very limited team (preventing leaks).
    2. The phone’s shell is still the Storm 2’s shell with different guts though (To make it hard to identify if the phone is lost or photographed).
    3. It does have a 1ghz processor.
    4. 8 GB internal memory.
    5. 512MB flash memory was what they saw first, but apparently they are now playing with these test phones and have over 1GB of flash memory.
    6. It won’t run on OS 6.0. Its gonna be running on an OS of its own. <– Really exciting
    7. The phone does have the ability to run widgets and you can personalize it A LOT.
    8. 5 MP camera still on it as off now, but like we saw on the 9670, this can change.
    9. The screen will be something new we haven’t seen yet (new input mechanism) ,but it won’t work like the Storm 2. Yes, it will have SURE-PRESS, but I’m not sure how they are archiving it this time.
    10. Its gonna be Verizon’s 1st or 2nd LTE phone. They aren’t sure if the Android phone will be first or the Storm at this point.
    The reason why RIM doesn’t want this phone to leak, or are being more careful about it, is because it would confirm that Verizon will be launching their LTE network (which by the way is already set, but just running tests on as off these days) and its somehow a liability for them.
    Again, and as you know, some things could/will change but those are the specs as off today.
    06-28-10 11:11 AM
    And of course remember this IS just a rumor, NOTHING has been announced and nothing is known for sure and no actual documents were leaked. Sal, just has a source, which MAY, or MAY NOT be credible. Yes he has had good info in the past, BUT, RIM is being VERY tight lipped on the mysterious Storm3. Take it with a grain of salt is all I am saying.
    06-28-10 11:16 AM
    Copy and paste for those users unable to view.
    Oh bless you, Great Moderator. LOL Thx. Sigh of relief.
    06-28-10 11:20 AM
    And of course remember this IS just a rumor, NOTHING has been announced and nothing is known for sure and no actual documents were leaked. Sal, just has a source, which MAY, or MAY NOT be credible. Yes he has had good info in the past, BUT, RIM is being VERY tight lipped on the mysterious Storm3. Take it with a grain of salt is all I am saying.
    I just had a rational thought of how just after I got my Storm 1 the 2 came out. And as much as I'd love to jump all over the 3, I now think the 4 might drop close to the time I get the 3. I tell you that would burn me up. I'm due for my NE2 in Feb 2011, man I picked a fine time to buy my Storm. LOL. Time will tell, but I know for sure that patience is a virtue. Whew!!!
    06-28-10 11:26 AM
    I'm going to call his bluff for some points, just for fun.

I don't think RIM is like Apple, they wouldn't disguise a handset to look like a former device. Have they ever? Nope, so why start now?

RIM wouldn't care about covering up Verizon's LTE planes, everyone knows they have LTE in the works. Verizon confirms details of U.S. LTE deployment

Of course the Storm 3 is going to have a processor and RAM upgrade, that's kinda a given.

And I find it very hard to believe that RIM would put Sure Press on another handset. Maybe it's called Sure Press, but IMO I don't think it'll be the same as the S1/S2 Sure Press.

Okay, that's it.
    06-28-10 11:43 AM
    New & different OS... doesn't sound like RIM. They have enough problems with just one OS running on different platforms, to add a new OS would mean some big changes, especially with OS6 about to be pushed out - I don't think just don't think they have the talent in house to accomplish this. (still waiting for a BUG free OS for the Storm). Maybe it will be the first BB running an Android OS

Specs do sound really good for a phone being released today...
    06-28-10 11:54 AM
    New & different OS... doesn't sound like RIM. They have enough problems with just one OS running on different platforms, to add a new OS would mean some big changes, especially with OS6 about to be pushed out - I don't think just don't think they have the talent in house to accomplish this. (still waiting for a BUG free OS for the Storm). Maybe it will be the first BB running an Android OS

Yeah I don't see it having it's own OS either. If it did, it would be a nightmare for S3 users as it'd be eons before developers get around to writing apps for yet another OS.
    06-28-10 12:13 PM

There is no "bug free" operating system; due to the nature of having a few billion on/off switches it's almost guaranteed there's going to be a few lines of code that conflict. I wasn't expecting much from Microsoft with Windows 7 after Vista, but I was in for a pleasant surprise. Even the beta and RC ran beautifully. Even so, it's nowhere near bug-free.
    Have some faith, if Microsoft can figure out how to make something run without annoying the user, anybody can.
    06-28-10 12:17 PM
    Something always told me that the S3 would have a totally different OS. But then you have to ask... what OS will this be? Could it be an android OS? Seems unlikely, but if it is a totally new OS, who is going to create apps? It would have to be a very very popular phone if developers are going to create apps for just one model of a blackberry. And if it is just another version of the BB OS, then we will still have the same problem we have now... developers do not want to create for BB.

I have owned both a storm and a storm2. The storm3 sounds very very promising, but I am tired of being a guinea pig. I am happy with the storm2, but it seems to me that there will be a period of time from when the storm3 comes out until it is reaches its full capability. However, I do like the direction RIM is taking... I really want more details.
    06-28-10 12:19 PM
    I'm going to call his bluff for some points, just for fun.

I don't think RIM is like Apple, they wouldn't disguise a handset to look like a former device. Have they ever? Nope, so why start now?
    It could be purely for the testing stage, it isn't like RIM changes much with the look of the phones, keep leak photos in check by making it look the same as all the other phones 000000

RIM wouldn't care about covering up Verizon's LTE planes, everyone knows they have LTE in the works. Verizon confirms details of U.S. LTE deployment

it isn't about covering up LTE, it is about creating a timeline, once you announce a device people want a launch date, RIM can't have a launch date until Verizon has a LTE launch date, there are partnership liabilities here, and lots of share holders

Of course the Storm 3 is going to have a processor and RAM upgrade, that's kinda a given.

And I find it very hard to believe that RIM would put Sure Press on another handset. Maybe it's called Sure Press, but IMO I don't think it'll be the same as the S1/S2 Sure Press.
    some people actually liked Sure Press, RIM might have found a better way to do it, the company that helped them develop surepress is doing lots to move the technology forward

Okay, that's it.

I seem to be defending the rumour, I know it just is a rumour, I am just hopeful RIM has something, I'm not about to leave my BB anytime soon, but as casual user friends start coming due for new phones RIM needs something to keep them in the family so I don't have to start using txt messaging again
    06-28-10 12:37 PM
    sooo this is basically saying that the storm will be the new blackberry flagship phone? If half of all of those rumors are true the Storm (verizon exclusive) would be head and shoulders above the Bold? I just cant see that happening. How are the Bold owners going to feel about the storm getting its own OS treatment?

There's a long time til march but i simply cant see RIM putting the storm as the number 1 option.
    06-28-10 12:47 PM
    S2 getting it's own OS?

Yeah I highly doubt that. Why would they write OS6 to work with touchscreen and trackpad phones and not even use it on a touchscreen phone?

Plus that'd be a pain for developers.
    06-28-10 12:50 PM
    sooo this is basically saying that the storm will be the new blackberry flagship phone? If half of all of those rumors are true the Storm (verizon exclusive) would be head and shoulders above the Bold? I just cant see that happening. How are the Bold owners going to feel about the storm getting its own OS treatment?

There's a long time til march but i simply cant see RIM putting the storm as the number 1 option.
    They could market the Storm for the Consumer and refocus the Bold for the business user, use the Storm's new OS as a growing point for further OS development based on what OS6 does, you are right we are almost a year away, lots could change, but I think if they scrapped the OS6 core, and started a new build from scratch, and are going through the trials and tribulations of getting it ready for enterprise use, we still need to wait till 2012 to see that come to fruition,
    Many of the high level security softwares are 2-3 years in development and testing before fortune 100 companies adopt them, I can't believe they don't require the same sort of development from their mobile phones.
    06-28-10 12:51 PM
    S2 getting it's own OS?

Yeah I highly doubt that. Why would they write OS6 to work with touchscreen and trackpad phones and not even use it on a touchscreen phone?

Plus that'd be a pain for developers.

Depends on HOW different the OS works, and how the SDK's are built,

they could be building an OS to make it easier for 3rd party developers to make apps,
    doing as Apple did with OSX and abandoning their old structure, you need to pick a single phone to do that with, the Storm being a Consumer phone is your best bet as all the sex appeal is currently in the touch screen world.
    06-28-10 12:53 PM
    Lets see what happens with the storm 3
    06-28-10 12:55 PM
94 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD