08-04-19 08:19 AM
208 ... 789
tools
    The Priv should have been a landscape ?

But it's the only modern Android slider since the Priv..
    Well there's some things to like about the portrait mode of Priv. However, it's cramped and I personally miss the landscape slider with more spacious keys and a dedicated number row. I find it annoying to have to bring up on-screen symbols on my Priv to find symbols that should already be on the keyboard.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    08-04-19 01:04 AM
    Well there's some things to like about the portrait mode of Priv. However, it's cramped and I personally miss the landscape slider with more spacious keys and a dedicated number row. I find it annoying to have to bring up on-screen symbols on my Priv to find symbols that should already be on the keyboard.
    I too prefer landscape sliders!
    To me they are the ideal combination of a full screen slab, and a full keyboard that can be tucked away.
    And I can now wait to see the Pro1 hit the streets, and see how it is received. The early preproduction units got a very positive reaction all over back in February when it was shown in Barcelona.

BUT I wish there were a greater variety in form factors! It so much depends on usage pattern and physiognomy what form factor that is optimal for each user!

And with literally billions of users, there should be plenty of room for a wide variety of form factors and sizes.

Personally I would have preferred the Pro1 to be shrunken from the 5.99" to a 5¼" display, so the width got below the 65mm 'phone-limit' and could ALSO have been fully one hand operated used as a slab.

The funny thing is that Portrait orientation of the display originates from a time when phones were one hand operable. And had the physical keyboard replaced by virtual surrogates, and thus the display growing downwards.
    But as phablets has grown beyond one handed usage (except for a very few users with especially long and flexible fingers), and are thus two hand operated anyway, there are no real reason to stick to the display in this odd orientation for the majority of users, for a slider. (Virtual keyboards in landscape does not work well, making the remaining display area very elongated)
    SURE a lot of lazy app developer has only designed their apps for portrait. But often a competing product from a serious developer exists....

But for those very depending on one or more app that only works in portrait, or with very long and flexible fingers, well then sure it would be nice if there were portrait devices like the Priv form factor for them also.
    And also a form factor like the Key½ for those typing a lot that do not need a full display.
    (And perhaps even a roughly square device with fixed keyboard, somewhat like the Passport)
    ...and more form factors for other user segments...
    Trisk333 likes this.
    08-04-19 02:40 AM

BUT I wish there were a greater variety in form factors! It so much depends on usage pattern and physiognomy what form factor that is optimal for each user!

...and more form factors for other user segments...
    Yeah, that's what you would think...

But instead, every OEM is beating the same horse, churning slab after slab...each not being much different from those of competitors, and bring nothing original to the table
    08-04-19 07:11 AM
    Yeah, that's what you would think...

But instead, every OEM is beating the same horse, churning slab after slab...each not being much different from those of competitors, and bring nothing original to the table
    Well at the least a few tries like BBmo and FxTec.
    08-04-19 07:15 AM
    Well at the least a few tries like BBmo and FxTec.
    Yeah, but you can count them on one hand...

Not that I'm complaining that someone IS trying, but I'm still a little worried about the future of PKB's if it rests solely upon the hands of one company and a few kickstarter style start-ups.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    08-04-19 07:18 AM
    Yeah, but you can count them on one hand...

Not that I'm complaining that someone IS trying, but I'm still a little worried about the future of PKB's if it rests solely upon the hands of one company and a few kickstarter style start-ups.
    As long as there are not enough users that stop buying the crap they are being offered, the vendors will keep pushing crap.
    Why should they produce a more expensive better product, if they can still sell something else with a higher profit?

It is a classic hen&egg situation for breaking an evil circle. I believe the last flagship speced qwerty slider was the SE Xperia Pro. So it died off with SE changing to Sony.
    (Not blaming Sony here, everybody else had stopped earlier)

Actually SE made a clever 'experiment' by releasing four spec-wise identical devices in 2011, and from that it was quite clear what the market wanted. They had the compact Ray, the standard Neo, the Pro variant of that with a keyboard, and finally the back then humongous Arc.
    I remember people being laughed at putting that huge Arc to the ear making calls. And today it would with its 63mm be considered a super compact....

But the interesting thing apart from the funny thing on the sizes is that the Xperia Pro was NOT a huge success that was seen all over, so despite being flagship, the broad demand for keyboards was not there anymore. It was reduced to a niche.

So the best we can do is to help make the Pro1 a huge success, so that others see a niche they want to join in on.

If the Pro1 is not going to be a success, there will most likely never be another keyboard slider...
    08-04-19 07:54 AM
    As long as there are not enough users that stop buying the crap they are being offered, the vendors will keep pushing crap.
    Why should they produce a more expensive better product, if they can still sell something else with a higher profit?

It is a classic hen&egg situation for breaking an evil circle. I believe the last flagship speced qwerty slider was the SE Xperia Pro. So it died off with SE changing to Sony.
    (Not blaming Sony here, everybody else had stopped earlier)

Actually SE made a clever 'experiment' by releasing four spec-wise identical devices in 2011, and from that it was quite clear what the market wanted. They had the compact Ray, the standard Neo, the Pro variant of that with a keyboard, and finally the back then humongous Arc.
    I remember people being laughed at putting that huge Arc to the ear making calls. And today it would with its 63mm be considered a super compact....

But the interesting thing apart from the funny thing on the sizes is that the Xperia Pro was NOT a huge success that was seen all over, so despite being flagship, the broad demand for keyboards was not there anymore. It was reduced to a niche.

So the best we can do is to help make the Pro1 a huge success, so that others see a niche they want to join in on.

If the Pro1 is not going to be a success, there will most likely never be another keyboard slider...
    Right but things have changed since 2011.

A phone with a keyboard doesn't equal thick plastic phone with small plastic screen anymore.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    08-04-19 08:02 AM
    Right but things have changed since 2011.

A phone with a keyboard doesn't equal thick plastic phone with small plastic screen anymore.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I keep my fingers crossed for the success of the Pro1, I just doubt that the sales of a QWERTY device will be in the millions, but as I said: The best we can do is to help make the Pro1 a huge success, so that others see a niche they want to join in on.

...If it gets a huge success it is also more likely that TCL will consider a Priv2
    08-04-19 08:19 AM
208 ... 789