Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
07-18-19 03:37 PM
180 ... 5678
tools
    I was going to pile on sarcastically but realized how well this illustrates pricing issues even for BBMo and the KEY series.

Posted via CB10
    My gut is the software development might be taking longer... probable need more help, but that would add to the cost of the device, which got set long ago.

<Warning the following statements contain sarcasm>
    But then it might just be TRUMP's fault like everything else seems to be these days. As with BBMo, does seem to be some issues with moving inventory out of China. Next thing you know the iPhone will get delayed and the end of the world will come.
    07-03-19 08:59 AM
    Indeed it has, RGB. Actually it is hidden by the leave. It is at the top of the image next to the front camera. (The 'red dot' seen must be a reflection in the proximity or ambient light sensor)

If you look at the official page, the specs says
    "Notification light: Yes (RGB LED)"
    As long as it's better than the LE's then awesome!
    07-03-19 09:17 AM
    As long as it's better than the LE's then awesome!
    Well all I know is that it has been improved further after the pre-production unit I have tested.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-03-19 09:33 AM
    Well all I know is that it has been improved further after the pre-production unit I have tested.
    Do you think there's any chance they reduced the weight of this thing in the production units ?
    07-03-19 09:44 AM
    Do you think there's any chance they reduced the weight of this thing in the production units ?
    At ½lbs it is roughly 25% heaver than the Priv, because it is 'all metal' and a keyboard twice the size. I find it extremely unlikely that they will change substantial parts to say carbon fibre at this late stage.

IF they changed the material without changing anything else, they would disturb the good weight balance, making it top heavy. So the natural thing to do to get the balance back would be to increase the weight back(!) with the use of a larger and heavier battery, making the device thicker...
    07-03-19 10:12 AM
    At ½lbs it is roughly 25% heaver than the Priv, because it is 'all metal' and a keyboard twice the size. I find it extremely unlikely that they will change substantial parts to say carbon fibre at this late stage.

IF they changed the material without changing anything else, they would disturb the good weight balance, making it top heavy. So the natural thing to do to get the balance back would be to increase the weight back(!) with the use of a larger and heavier battery, making the device thicker...
    How can a phone be top-heavy when typing in landscape mode?
    07-03-19 10:52 AM
    In all fairness, how many people actually type in landscape mode?
    07-03-19 01:42 PM
    Well that's the point of this device, isn't it? I'm on the KEY2 now, but used to use the Passport Silver, Passport, Droid 4 and Droid 2. I would love to go back to landscape typing on a physical keyboard and I don't think I'm alone here.
    CrackPriv and EskeRahn like this.
    07-03-19 01:46 PM
    Well that's the point of this device, isn't it? I'm on the KEY2 now, but used to use the Passport Silver, Passport, Droid 4 and Droid 2. I would love to go back to landscape typing on a physical keyboard and I don't think I'm alone here.
    Landscape with a physcial keyboard? That would be 5.5+ inches no? I just don't see it happening. I enjoyed my Passport a lot and would have loved it if a few tweaks were made + OS/app support.

In my opionion, take the Bold 9900 keyboard and attach a top notch screen and you're done. If you want the slider, the Priv form factor is not a bad starting point but it just needs to be tweaked and slimmed down.
    07-03-19 01:54 PM
    Landscape with a physcial keyboard? That would be 5.5+ inches no? I just don't see it happening. I enjoyed my Passport a lot and would have loved it if a few tweaks were made + OS/app support.

In my opionion, take the Bold 9900 keyboard and attach a top notch screen and you're done. If you want the slider, the Priv form factor is not a bad starting point but it just needs to be tweaked and slimmed down.
    Some people care about typing comfortably, not the sliding action itself. Let us be excited about the announced return of this form factor! :-)
    EskeRahn likes this.
    07-03-19 02:02 PM

It's happening... several different groups working on them.

Will they sell more than a few thousand devices?? Maybe, Maybe not..

I suspect that a vertical slider is more than some of these "projects" can afford to engineer. And with the risk that BBMo "might" do one again... just not worth the risk. If BBMo goes away and BlackBerry just closes down what's left of the mobility business... someone might give it a try.

In my opinion... market for a physical keyboard is too small for anything but a "project" at this point.
    07-03-19 02:14 PM
    It can, if the large display is a substantial part of the total mass.
    That was the problem with the Mod for the Moto Z-series, as the whole device was in the 'display part'
    07-03-19 03:11 PM
    Well as you have not been able to get one for almost ten years, not a lot. And that is what I and other have been crying for since....
    The ONLY reason for operating a mobile in portrait is the historical: One handed operation. But as practically all new devices have grown too big for that for most people, it is quite silly to hold on to the portrait orientation as the primary orientation.
    But the big question is how many have gotten too used to the keyboard in the wrong direction to switch.

(Of course there is the minority with very long and flexible fingers, that can use the phablets in portrait one handed while keeping a secure grip, and for those the current trend is great)
    07-03-19 03:18 PM
    Well as you have not been able to get one for almost ten years, not a lot. And that is what I and other have been crying for since....
    It will take me a while to type landscape again myself :/
    Failed project, seemed better in my mind.

Got another idea though, will see if that's any better, but anything is better than this I spose.
    Attached Thumbnails Android QWERTY Slider to be released in Q1 2019!-img_20190708_213908373.jpg  
    EskeRahn likes this.
    07-08-19 03:05 PM

Got another idea though, will see if that's any better, but anything is better than this I spose.
    now THAT's original
    07-08-19 05:32 PM
    I still cant decide if I should go K2 or wait for this - not sure it will ever happen
    07-10-19 05:54 AM

The long awaited Key3 finally!!!!
    the_boon likes this.
    07-10-19 05:58 AM
    Can you even imagine how limited typing speed would be due to the huge thumb extensions required to type landscape? Your thumbs would also be dead after just a few minutes.

No 40wpm for 4 hours a day, that's for sure.
    There are allot of ergonomical issues with the portrait keyboard, having a landscape keyboard could give you the space to address these issues, and add add some functionally. Though I would prefer it if the phone was on the smaller side.

Also the landscape slider is more practical than a portrait slider in many ways, it can be used as a stand as seen in the picture, and the phone is less likely to be top heavy while texting.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    07-10-19 08:55 AM
    I still cant decide if I should go K2 or wait for this - not sure it will ever happen
    Whatever TCL is going to drop next (KEY3 maybe) may or may not beat this thing to market, especially if the schedule keeps slipping.
    07-10-19 01:01 PM
    Reminds me of my pre BB years with Psion devices.This thing has been comiing for months and they keep putting the release date back. I love the idea of the slider but worry about a holster and security. Would be great if if BB security was installed.
    07-10-19 08:06 PM
    Whatever TCL is going to drop next (KEY3 maybe) may or may not beat this thing to market, especially if the schedule keeps slipping.
    The KEY3 is a portrait candybar, the Pro 1 is a landscape slider...

I don't think they're aiming at the same market.

That said, the Pro 1 is supposed to start shipping this month
    07-10-19 09:05 PM
    The KEY3 is a portrait candybar, the Pro 1 is a landscape slider...

I don't think they're aiming at the same market.

That said, the Pro 1 is supposed to start shipping this month
    Current shipping date is September.... so at least a month and half to go.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    07-15-19 10:54 AM
    Personally, I miss landscape sliders and pre-ordered this phone. I like how they mention in the reviews that most of the actual letters for typing are more centered in the keyboard so there isn't a lot of thumb travel for normal typing like people are mentioning here as a con. This phone definitely has most of the features I'm looking for including the RGB LED notification, stockish android, rootable if I wish, stereo speakers, screen big enough for watching shows on the go and basically any upgrade in specs from my Priv at this point. For those saying how big it is, I think it's barely taller than the Priv with hardshell case on and that doesn't seem too wide personally for me in landscape if I was typing.

The one thing I am concerned about though is the probable lack of case options. The hardshell case on my Priv is well designed, affordable, functional, and has saved my phone on many occasions.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    07-15-19 09:48 PM
    Personally, I miss landscape sliders and pre-ordered this phone. I like how they mention in the reviews that most of the actual letters for typing are more centered in the keyboard so there isn't a lot of thumb travel for normal typing like people are mentioning here as a con. This phone definitely has most of the features I'm looking for including the RGB LED notification, stockish android, rootable if I wish, stereo speakers, screen big enough for watching shows on the go and basically any upgrade in specs from my Priv at this point. For those saying how big it is, I think it's barely taller than the Priv with hardshell case on and that doesn't seem too wide personally for me in landscape if I was typing.

The one thing I am concerned about though is the probable lack of case options. The hardshell case on my Priv is well designed, affordable, functional, and has saved my phone on many occasions.
    They promised the early pre-orders a free case, so there WILL be a case.

And indeed the 154 x 73.6 footprint is quite close to the 147 x 77.2 of the Priv. (4.8% longer, 4.7% narrower) Actually it is almost identical in area (0.1% less) - yet a 13.5% larger screen. (mainly longer: 136x68mm vs 120x67)
    07-16-19 01:06 AM
    They promised the early pre-orders a free case, so there WILL be a case.

And indeed the 154 x 73.6 footprint is quite close to the 147 x 77.2 of the Priv. (4.8% longer, 4.7% narrower) Actually it is almost identical in area (0.1% less) - yet a 13.5% larger screen. (mainly longer: 136x68mm vs 120x67)
    I saw the video of the free case with pre-order. it looks like it protects the bottom half only leaving the slide out screen unprotected unlike the hardshell Priv case. It's also unattractive. I hope they or someone else does better with that or I'll end up using a leather pouch or something but I'm quite clumsy and I know I'll drop it eventually when not in the pouch.
    07-16-19 09:51 AM
180 ... 5678