Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
09-12-19 08:47 AM
215 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I've seen that slide out keyboard before but it's not easy to get it anymore or expensive.
    It would be awesome if they produced something similar again.
    Indeed, not easy today. Back then the three components were inexpensive.
    04-23-19 04:43 PM
    Indeed, not easy today. Back then the three components were inexpensive.
    Components were either cheaper due to mass production for various OEMs and sold discounted to OEMs moving away from slider factor or both scenarios combined.

At this point, I believe this is same problem that BBMo even faces with just PKB components let alone slider components.
    04-24-19 02:29 PM
    Components were either cheaper due to mass production for various OEMs and sold discounted to OEMs moving away from slider factor or both scenarios combined.

At this point, I believe this is same problem that BBMo even faces with just PKB components let alone slider components.
    I've always wondered about the STORM... best of both world, big expensive SLAB stuck on a bunch of moving parts. Sadly they probable sold more STORMS than all BB10 device combined - so at that time they still had economy of scale, even with a unique device.

Component cost and extra support cost have to be a factor for BBMo. Think it's a big issue for them with just the KEYdevcies, they don't need an addition slider functionality adding to it.
    04-24-19 02:48 PM
    I always wanted a Storm but I was on AT&T so no go.
    04-24-19 09:26 PM
    I always wanted a Storm but I was on AT&T so no go.
    It was "fun" in some ways.... really got me into reloading the OS and tweaking it - could do a lot more with BBOS than BB10 allowed.

Could see some real change in Battery Life, Radio Reception and overall performance..... but in the end it was flawed in that it didn't have enough memory. Pressing the whole screen down was tiring for typing (didn't have predictive text and swiping then).

Phone was so bad... the company I worked for got Verizon to replace then all for no cost. But I wanted a SLAB, so I got them to let me keep it for a little longer. (had a long commute and the bigger screen came in handy).
    04-25-19 08:45 AM
    Seems that boxwave still sells some of those keyboard cases.
    What is more, they have a request form where you can tell them for which phone you want them to make a case.
    Since the pocophone f2 should be a good deal, I requested this.
    EskeRahn likes this.
    04-29-19 03:33 PM
    Seems that boxwave still sells some of those keyboard cases.
    What is more, they have a request form where you can tell them for which phone you want them to make a case.
    Since the pocophone f2 should be a good deal, I requested this.
    Nice find.

Oddly though that on their list of different types of keyboards only the landscape edition links seems to lead to this request option (and some really old devices), the portrait link just redirects to the front page.

It COULD be a bug on their site redirecting whenever a product is sold out completely on all models, but a bit odd.

ADD: PLEASE NOTE, that in my experience keyboard cases for Android works on Ios, but not the other way round. so IF you want to experiment, I would suggest to go for the S3 one as a starting point

EDIT:
    They got THREE links, this one is newer for landscape, with more devices. Sorry overlooked that initially
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 04-30-19 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add
    04-30-19 01:53 AM
    The S3? Why that one?
    The keyboard for S5 seems to be magnetic.
    So if I were to find a hardshell that fits my whatever phone and add the same magnets to it it should stick, right?
    The weight difference is 'only' about 40 grams albeit almost 1/4th more heavy, it should still be doable I reckon.
    04-30-19 12:32 PM
    The S3? Why that one?
    The keyboard for S5 seems to be magnetic.
    So if I were to find a hardshell that fits my whatever phone and add the same magnets to it it should stick, right?
    The weight difference is 'only' about 40 grams albeit almost 1/4th more heavy, it should still be doable I reckon.
    Well on their list the only keyboard for Android is for the S3 (The rest are for aPple Iphones)
    • Apple iPhone 4
    • Apple iPhone 4S
    • Apple iPhone 5
    • Apple iPhone SE
    • Samsung Galaxy S3

But sure if you can find for the S5, that could be better.

EDIT: Looked at wrong link.

The magnetic ones are a GREAT idea (if you can find one). And very good to combine a standard casing with a keyboard.
    I have not seen the magnetic ones for Android phones, aPples only, so it requires a keyboard for Android devices also.
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 04-30-19 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Factual error
    04-30-19 03:19 PM
    They have two pages of this 'keyboard buddy case' item, one has old phones:
    Keyboard Buddy Case - Backlit Edition - iPhone, PDA, Treo, BlackBerry, Smartphone Cases
    The other has less old phones:
    Keyboard Buddy Case - Backlit Edition - iPhone, PDA, Treo, BlackBerry, Smartphone Cases
    You'll see the S5 version there.
    However, when you try to purchase it says it's discontinued...
    On some listings you can make a special request or so to order it, but I assume it would be for large quantities.
    Have googled the product name, searched for used items on ebay, did reverse lookup on some of the stock photo's, nothing turns up.
    So another dead end as far as I'm concerned...I'm in mourning once again...
    04-30-19 04:10 PM
    They have two pages of this 'keyboard buddy case' item, one has old phones:
    The other has less old phones:
    You'll see the S5 version there.
    However, when you try to purchase it says it's discontinued...
    On some listings you can make a special request or so to order it, but I assume it would be for large quantities.
    Have googled the product name, searched for used items on ebay, did reverse lookup on some of the stock photo's, nothing turns up.
    So another dead end as far as I'm concerned...I'm in mourning once again...
    Googled a bit and found this and ordered it (sorry last one).
    Will be interesting to see if the battery is chargeable or completely dead...
    04-30-19 06:22 PM
    ...uhu, I no longer like you now
    Anyway, I found the same on a shady site and ordered as well, hope I didn't get ripped.
    If I get it to work properly and the magnets prove no function issue, I might craft something new with a more recent bluetooth keyboard.
    Non-rubber keys are quite important for tactile feedback.

On a sidenote, I remember they made slimtype, a superflat keyboard that used NFC to power itself (no batteries).
    It was only available for a certain type of samsung phone though.
    Also, if you only held the keyboard, the phone would flap down as there was no hinge or so, quite a design failure imo.
    05-04-19 05:48 AM
    Anyway, I found the same on a shady site and ordered as well, hope I didn't get ripped.
    If I get it to work properly and the magnets prove no function issue, I might craft something new with a more recent bluetooth keyboard.

On a sidenote, I remember they made slimtype, a superflat keyboard that used NFC to power itself (no batteries).
    Also, if you only held the keyboard, the phone would flap down as there was no hinge or so, quite a design failure imo.
    Sorry. The one I bought is of type with 'bad' keyboard, with minimal movement of the keys.

Back in the 4.0" Iphone days you could have a similar super slim keyboard BUT the magnets were arranged strategically, so it could hold the device in EITHER direction. It was the magnet arrangement from one of these I used to build the case mentioned earlier for the Iphone 6- (The magnet keyboard was DoA and could not be charged - collapsed battery). The magnets held a 4.0" Iphone fine in both direction, but the magnets did not give a secure hold in portrait for the larger 4.7" Ip6-.

It would be great with one powered using NFC. But I assume the one I just bought to have a battery, and thus most likely also to be DoA with collapsed battery, but time will show. And I expect it to hold in landscape only.

(Without a mechanical On/Off switch, the battery is likely to over time be discharged beyond repair - well at least it would most likely require it to be removed and charged with a more fancy charger, and I do not expected it to be possible to open it for repair - but time will show....)
    05-04-19 08:01 AM

It arrived today, and was chargeable and works. BUT the keyboard is quite hard to use as there (obviously) is very little movement of each key, no backlight and the 'print' is a laser etching, that can only really been seen under particular light conditions, so the keyboard as is, is not really useful, but the magnet system can be transferred.

It would be quite easy to merge the top with a standard case for e.g. a Samsung S8-/S9- and most likely S10 familly too, if you turn the top to the right (not left as the S4!) due to the placement of the magnets. And it would work directly.
    05-13-19 03:07 PM
    Mine got refunded cuz 'discontinued and out of stock', wonder why they kept it online all this time then...
    Anyway, I tried to craft something with magnets but phones have become quite heavy.
    It might succeed if I find a nice plate on which I can glue a keyboard and some magnets.
    Inside the back cover of my cell I would stick some thin sheet of metal that's magnetic.
    05-13-19 03:19 PM
    Mine got refunded cuz 'discontinued and out of stock', wonder why they kept it online all this time then...
    Anyway, I tried to craft something with magnets but phones have become quite heavy.
    It might succeed if I find a nice plate on which I can glue a keyboard and some magnets.
    Inside the back cover of my cell I would stick some thin sheet of metal that's magnetic.
    Too bad. ;(
    You will get a better result with magnets against magnets than magnets against metal, as the latter will have a tendency to skid away. Tried to search for "small thin neodymium magnets", and found e.g. this.
    (Go for square ones over round, it eases the plastic-cutting...)

NOTICE that if you place strong magnets it MIGHT interfere with some electronics. So experiment a bit before final placement and cutting!!
    I had to remove one pair from my first attempt that happened to be right above a chip related to charging. Everything still worked, but it got VERY hot during charging (some plastic started melting), most likely some wiring on the print (or in the chip) that acted as a coil.

For best results place them in pairs next to each other in opposite direction
    05-13-19 06:31 PM
    I've seen that slide out keyboard before but it's not easy to get it anymore or expensive.
    It would be awesome if they produced something similar again.
    It is getting closer to actually sell. I actually have had my hands on pre-production unit, and made a preview here

This kind of tilted landscape slider like the good old Nokias is the perfect system, IMHO
    Here an animated sketch showing the principle in all its simplicity.
    Android QWERTY Slider to be released in Q1 2019!-pro1_mechanism.gif
    CrackPriv and elfabio80 like this.
    05-20-19 06:23 PM
    When is Blackberry going to release a Priv 2? Not interested in a landscape slider. I loved the portrait slider of Blackberry Priv. I want a Priv 2 with a bezel less screen.
    05-21-19 01:46 AM
    When is Blackberry going to release a Priv 2? Not interested in a landscape slider. I loved the portrait slider of Blackberry Priv. I want a Priv 2 with a bezel less screen.
    BB did a good job designing the Priv. It was bad timing that it was the year of not so great chipsets. I honestly highly doubt BBMo will ever release a Priv2.

But IF the Pro¹ gets a huge success, it MIGHT help in reviving the interest in keyboard sliders, and this could make BBMo dig up the designs they might have bought with the rights to use the BB name.... But I would certainly not hold my breath for it.
    05-21-19 09:46 AM
    This thing is even 65% heavier than the Priv!
    It's definitely past the tipping point where I'd prefer to carry a small LTE Windows laptop or 2-in-one with a proper touch-typeable keyboard to an Android phone!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-21-19 09:53 AM
    It's definitely past the tipping point where I'd prefer to carry a small LTE Windows laptop or 2-in-one with a proper touch-typeable keyboard to an Android phone!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    The statement you are quoting is on the Cosmo not the Pro1, please read the thread...

My comment was with respect to the Cosmo Communicator.

Tom's Hardware:

"My biggest complaint with the Cosmo is the weight. At 11.2 ounces, this is easily the heaviest smartphone out there."
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 05-21-19 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Clarification
    05-21-19 10:23 AM
    Newest Pro 1 photo on Instagram seems to show that it has a LED notification light!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzbvxCJA...=1vlv2gd9yyl7z
    07-02-19 10:02 PM
    Newest Pro 1 photo on Instagram seems to show that it has a LED notification light!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzbvxCJA...=1vlv2gd9yyl7z
    Indeed it has, RGB. Actually it is hidden by the leave. It is at the top of the image next to the front camera. (The 'red dot' seen must be a reflection in the proximity or ambient light sensor)

If you look at the official page, the specs says
    "Notification light: Yes (RGB LED)"
    Last edited by EskeRahn; 07-03-19 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Factual error
    07-03-19 02:46 AM
    March.... July.... Summer.....

Clearly there was more to getting the F(x)tec to market than they expected.... for what they are offering that $649 might have been too cheap.
    07-03-19 08:30 AM
    March.... July.... Summer.....

Clearly there was more to getting the F(x)tec to market than they expected.... for what they are offering that $649 might have been too cheap.
    I was going to pile on sarcastically but realized how well this illustrates pricing issues even for BBMo and the KEY series.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-19 08:45 AM
215 ... 45678 ...