02-13-19 01:30 PM
46 12
tools
    I'd take a proper landscape slider with number row and staggered spacing over the cramped keyboard with letters on top of each other like that of my Priv any day. It also looks way better than the Key phones taking up half the screen real-estate; no thanks. I'm on the mailing list and will buy when/if it comes out since BlackBerry won't put out an upgrade for Priv anyway.
    01-02-19 08:02 AM
    Good! The PKB market needs some competition - might make BlackBerry Mobile step up their game!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    01-03-19 06:53 AM
    If developers would take better advantage of PKBs, mobile gaming could be greatly improved. Hopefully this does well.
    01-03-19 12:56 PM
    You mean a PRIV2 ? That would be another disaster.

I still disagree. I think the hardware issues with the Priv had more to do with processor limitations and keyboard design (as well as it's first attempt at Android OS. If Blackberry/TCL learned their lessons and took feedback from users I think it's viable. The critical issue is making sure those 2 hardware items are addressed first and foremost. I'm finding no problems with the Key2 other than the screen itself - everything still works well: no slowing down, no buggy issues.
    01-04-19 09:05 AM
    I still disagree. I think the hardware issues with the Priv had more to do with processor limitations and keyboard design (as well as it's first attempt at Android OS. If Blackberry/TCL learned their lessons and took feedback from users I think it's viable. The critical issue is making sure those 2 hardware items are addressed first and foremost. I'm finding no problems with the Key2 other than the screen itself - everything still works well: no slowing down, no buggy issues.
    Other than BB, tell me the last slider manufactured by any mainstream OEM and what year is was sold new in supported first party retail channel.
    01-04-19 10:21 AM
    Other than BB, tell me the last slider manufactured by any mainstream OEM and what year is was sold new in supported first party retail channel.
    Dunno - nor do I know the sales numbers of every single phone out there, let alone what the sales are strictly for Blackberry. I think going strictly vkb is a mistake, but who am I in the end of things - a single user. If I take your stance, then pkbs should go the way of the dodo, everyone should produce the exact same specs and not venture into anything new or different. Part of the problem with Blackberry is that each device they've released have have quirks or performance issues. The Key2, at least in my opinion, seems to have found a viable mix. Hell, if Apple and Samsung can sell top spec phones for over $1000, then is there any way Blackberry/TCL can claw back some market share by being different? I think they can.
    01-04-19 11:17 AM
    Dunno - nor do I know the sales numbers of every single phone out there, let alone what the sales are strictly for Blackberry. I think going strictly vkb is a mistake, but who am I in the end of things - a single user. If I take your stance, then pkbs should go the way of the dodo, everyone should produce the exact same specs and not venture into anything new or different. Part of the problem with Blackberry is that each device they've released have have quirks or performance issues. The Key2, at least in my opinion, seems to have found a viable mix. Hell, if Apple and Samsung can sell top spec phones for over $1000, then is there any way Blackberry/TCL can claw back some market share by being different? I think they can.
    The problems is that most smartphone users are willing to accept the status quo and commoditization of the smartphone means price is the primary focus. Since profits are function of price, and consumer preference creates demand, VKB is what everyone sells because everyone buys. With such thin margins, it becomes chicken and egg scenario. In earlier stages of product cycle, differentiation is rewarded. In later stages of product cycle, differentiation is punished.
    01-04-19 12:49 PM
    OP, let me know how it feels when you lay your hands on it, thx. from the photo, look like a bit thick (when folded), like a brick - hopefully, motorola got better slick designer left to do a decent job on final product. As it is now (prototype as shown on the images), not really very appealing, including the position of display (120 degree?), hopefully, the display viewing angle is wider enough (top/bottom) to ensure color/viewing to the true image. (full flat also would be a bad idea, since the center of gravities on typing would be too low... unless it is super light display bazel/module... IMHO). if you get hold of one, can you type 2 chepters of books and let us know how it feel? many thx.
    01-04-19 05:11 PM
    You guys might well know the Motorola Keyboard Mod. Now there's a new device coming in Q1 2019 from this company. I'll be a qwerty slider and it looks very promising.

Here is a picture of some prototypes:
    twitter.com/chenliangchen/status/1068562746092982272

The display panel itself looks gorgeous too:
    Attachment 441849

The prototypes:
    Attachment 441850

I'm really excited that there will be a new qwerty slider that has arrow keys and will most probably be rootable.

What do you guys think?

PS: You might want to subscribe to the newsletter, they're sending updates every week: https://www.readyfx.com/
    They , meaning the group that is making the slider attachment.
    Last edited by joe almagic; 01-08-19 at 08:50 PM.
    01-04-19 07:50 PM
    Any decent slider this year will pretty much be "shut up and take my money" for me.

Though, I feel a portrait slider is much better, since my main use for the slider is group chats (or anything else where vertical space is premium), so a landscape slider won't be great for that.
    01-04-19 09:11 PM
    Why so? I mean, it wouldn't have an 808... that can only be good news
    I totally agree. I didn't like Key2 at all and now I'm using the Priv again (+ a LG V30 for the camera).

I Priv2 would be awesome
    01-10-19 11:25 AM
    Side Kicks, weren't they a T-Mobile phone?
    01-11-19 01:24 AM
    I totally agree. I didn't like Key2 at all and now I'm using the Priv again (+ a LG V30 for the camera).

I Priv2 would be awesome
    I am still using my PRIV along with my KEYone. I have to do a hard re-boot every so often because it slows way down after using it for a while. I have had mine since November 2015. So, yes, I would love a Priv 2 as well.
    01-11-19 01:29 AM
    Straight from their own newsletter today! This device might be Sailfish enabled:

Hey, thanks again for joining us! We’ve spent the last few weeks talking about hardware, so today we’d like to focus on software.

Q. What’s the most popular flavour of Android? A. Vanilla.

Our phone will ship with a stock version of Android 9.0 Pie that’s as vanilla as possible, because too many handsets these days are loaded with bloatware and apps that aren’t any better (and sometimes even worse) than the stock apps. There won’t be any weird backdoor apps and the majority of apps will come direct from Google. We’re also committed to providing Google’s monthly security updates in a timely manner.

But we’d like to go one step further! Since Android’s stock launcher is not well suited for landscape use we’re going to give our users a better experience. What do we mean? Currently in stock Android the home screen is not optimized for landscape use, especially when it comes to widgets, which just look too long in horizontal form.

With our new launcher, the landscape operation will be far more efficient and visually appealing!

We’ve also developed our own landscape-friendly apps that cover the essentials: an email client and calendar app. Later on, we’ll release more apps with a dedicated landscape UI...

Tech savvy users will also be pleased to know that we’ll support other independent, community-driven OSes beyond Android. We’ll offer loaner devices and driver support (under NDA) to core developers. We’ve already approached to some Lineage OS developers as a first step and plan to work with Sailfish OS developers & other communities. Our hope is to build a handset that runs your favourite OS.

Tune into our next newsletter to find out even more...
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-16-19 09:06 PM
    Interesting. Landscape would be different, and at that, full standard keyboard with a row of symbols, not just numbers, plus ctrl, alt keys, function F1-10 too.

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    01-22-19 08:31 AM
    We’ll offer loaner devices and driver support (under NDA) to core developers. We’ve already approached to some Lineage OS developers as a first step and plan to work with Sailfish OS developers & other communities. Our hope is to build a handset that runs your favourite OS.
    So they could license BB10 and support it too....
    01-22-19 08:51 AM
    Ha! True
    01-22-19 11:11 AM
    Shush! .....or do you want to start a whole new BB10-is-coming-back discussion?! ;-)
    01-22-19 12:21 PM
    Is it still set for a Q1 launch? It's been awfully quiet in my opinion.
    02-07-19 01:42 PM
    The last and only slider I had was a Samsung Sch760. It was a landscape slider and built like a tank. I mean literally you could beat someone with it. The slider worked well. The keyboard was a bit cramped and Windows Mobile was a bit flaky. I needed it because I was in the field and did a lot of on site reports for tech support. It was a very popular phone when corporate first offered it and was a Verizon phone.

I actually liked it quite a bit but they had an issue with the chargers frying the PDC's and I went through 3 before I gave up. It was the phone that caused me to give BlackBerry a try. I think the time frame was 2006 roughly.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-19 02:27 PM
    My only side slider was the Samsung Moment with Sprint. It lasted about a moment as well, 6 months later Samsung came out with the Moment 2. By that time, I was with BB.
    02-13-19 01:30 PM
46 12