10-28-13 03:07 PM
101 ... 2345
tools
    Here is the link. A really neat render. I bet that Sony could make such a phone.

How BlackBerry Can Drive the Resurgence of the Physical Keyboard - N4BB
    10-12-13 11:12 AM
    Looks cool to me, even tho its a bit weird

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 04:37 PM
    Here is the link. A really neat render. I bet that Sony could make such a phone.

Yeah that's the one, it gives slider fans the keyboard and larger display they want without making the device thicker or increasing returns due to any failures in the sliding mechanism, although given that is just a 3rd party render, there is probably still room for BB to make something better still.
    10-13-13 05:31 AM
    Somebody tell BlackBerry product designers, don't forget to put a trackpad on qwerty phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 05:38 AM
    Maybe it's just "psychological", but I see myself writing faster with the Bold 9900 keyboard than with the Q10 keyboard. Somehow I guess that the slightly curved position of the keys allows for better writing. The present keyboard, taken from the "Porsche" designed BlackBerry may look "nicer", but for me personally, I find it less "functional".
    I know that many people will not agree, but that's the way I feel. I miss the Bold 9900 in several many important details, like the trackpad.
    Last edited by LudwigvonKast; 10-13-13 at 05:42 AM. Reason: added one last line.
    10-13-13 05:40 AM
    A slider simply doesn't make any sense in the current market, if not even the likes of Samsung with their wide range can't fit one in then that should tell people something about them, a noticeably larger qwerty would make some sense but not the needless additions of increased mechanical failure or device thickness.
    Just for those of you who like sliders; I found this in the latest release notes of BBVE.
    After Z30, a Q30?-img_00001170.png

After Z30, a Q30?-img_00001171.png

On a personal note - I had the Torch 9800 and loved it. The big screen with QWERTY was a brilliant combination. But having owned also 2 Bolds (9000 and 9900) and then the Z10 and now Q10 I must admit that the 9900 and the Q10 are brilliant form factors and packaged oh so sexy. I'd definitely consider a BlackBerry 10 slider though.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 06:31 AM
    If they brought out a bigger q10 Il buy it for sure

Posted via CB10
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    10-13-13 10:50 AM
    Maybe it's just "psychological", but I see myself writing faster with the Bold 9900 keyboard than with the Q10 keyboard. Somehow I guess that the slightly curved position of the keys allows for better writing. The present keyboard, taken from the "Porsche" designed BlackBerry may look "nicer", but for me personally, I find it less "functional".
    I know that many people will not agree, but that's the way I feel. I miss the Bold 9900 in several many important details, like the trackpad.
    If they do redesign the Q10 and leave out the trackpad, I hope they leave that space beneath the screen like the Q5. The screen on the Q5 is better too. I don't even mind the look except the back cover is really really cheap looking.
    10-13-13 10:57 AM
    This phone looks nice, but still lacks the feature that makes a slider more valuable .... With a slider, you can use the phone as a 100% touch device both vertically and horizontally. You could, of course, turn any QWERTY phone sideways, but then it becomes awkward, and you don't have a full screen.

The only negative issues I have heard about sliders have been thickness and that the slider mechanism creates technical problems. Given that sliders have been around for a LONG time, I would think that the tech issues have been ironed out. While my Dell Venue Pro was never a masterpiece of engineering, the issues it has have more to do with a lame earpiece and a miserably poor camera. The keyboard is fine, though admittedly a little cramped at the top.

Additionally, given the additional space that a slider keyboard provides, I would think that the phone could actually have better technical specifications than a traditional slab phone. There could be room for an additional battery, tiny little cooling fans, a larger antenna, or any number of enhancements.

10-14-13 10:07 AM
    This phone looks nice, but still lacks the feature that makes a slider more valuable .... With a slider, you can use the phone as a 100% touch device both vertically and horizontally. You could, of course, turn any QWERTY phone sideways, but then it becomes awkward, and you don't have a full screen.

The only negative issues I have heard about sliders have been thickness and that the slider mechanism creates technical problems. Given that sliders have been around for a LONG time, I would think that the tech issues have been ironed out. While my Dell Venue Pro was never a masterpiece of engineering, the issues it has have more to do with a lame earpiece and a miserably poor camera. The keyboard is fine, though admittedly a little cramped at the top.

Additionally, given the additional space that a slider keyboard provides, I would think that the phone could actually have better technical specifications than a traditional slab phone. There could be room for an additional battery, tiny little cooling fans, a larger antenna, or any number of enhancements.
    There have been comments about slider reliability but anything but any physical keyboard phone will likely be less reliable. My Son In Law has a business 9900 and after a year and a half the keyboard is starting to wear out. Mine is fine but I am not a heavy user.
    10-14-13 10:48 AM
    Somebody tell BlackBerry product designers, don't forget to put a trackpad on qwerty phones.

Posted via CB10
    I actually like my Q10 without the trackpad -- more screen real estate

Posted with my Q10!
    10-14-13 01:00 PM

Posted with my Q10!
    No not really . You have a square screen. The device is not long. They could have easily included the trackpad and buttons below the screen. Think of the Q5 but with a trackpad and buttons.
    10-14-13 08:44 PM
    There have been comments about slider reliability but anything but any physical keyboard phone will likely be less reliable. My Son In Law has a business 9900 and after a year and a half the keyboard is starting to wear out. Mine is fine but I am not a heavy user.
    It is not that it will add a large amount of returns, but in a business of margins, adding an extra 1 or 2% on the returns on a form factor that is already less popular than a standard qwerty when qwerty is already a niche as it is.
    10-15-13 08:16 AM
    No not really . You have a square screen. The device is not long. They could have easily included the trackpad and buttons below the screen. Think of the Q5 but with a trackpad and buttons.
    They can also just put more screen there instead, which many, like myself, would prefer. **I think I misread your post earlier so I'm addressing that with this edit. The second part of this post isn't directed towards you.**
    They probably could have squeezed in those buttons, but where would the BlackBerry logo go? As consumers we don't care, but for a company that's important stuff.

All of these trackpad and button arguments are getting old. Let's say they add these buttons. How will they function in the OS? You're probably thinking that since it was so great for the legacy OSes, it would work great for BB10 too, right? The legacy OS was DESIGNED for trackpad and button use. If you owned any BB7 devices, you're remember that while the touchscreen experience wasn't bad, it wasn't anything like iOS or Android. That's because it wasn't designed for that. BB10 was designed for touch screen use. Add the track pad and I've got a feeling you'll be unexpectedly disappointed in the experience you get from it.

I'd argue that it's actually more efficient with the touch screen than it would be with a trackpad and buttons. After all, that's what it was made for.

Now one thing BlackBerry could do is to redesign BB10 to be optimized for trackpad and button use. If they went that route, then EVERY phone they shipped would have to have a trackpad and buttons! Think of all the **** they would get if the Z30 shipped like that! It just doesn't work out.

Here's my point to the trackpad fans-- instead of wishing for buttons, wish for OS updates that make navigating through text as efficient as the legacy defices did. This makes the most logical sense if you take what I just said seriously. Buttons and trackpads will not work as well as it did on OS7 on BB10 in its current form. Period.

Posted with my Q10!
    10-15-13 09:26 PM
    You know, I wouldn't nine something for size of my Note2 with a QWERTY. Or maybe size of a Nexus 4/5.

Sent from my tiny Note II via Tapatalk
    10-15-13 09:32 PM

Posted with my Q10!

You can see that the Q5 and the Q10 have the same screen size and yet there is a space below the screen on the Q5 that BB might have used to fit the track pad and buttons if they had wanted to include them. Given the Q5 design it is obvious that the screen real estate could have been gained by adding length to the device. IMO BlackBerry just thought that the trackpad was too old school. That was all that I was saying .
    10-16-13 12:52 AM
    lets see some concept q30's. maybe stretch the screen tot he edges of the q10 make it a 3.3 or 3.4 inch screen like the iphone 3?
    10-21-13 08:41 PM
    lets see some concept q30's. maybe stretch the screen tot he edges of the q10 make it a 3.3 or 3.4 inch screen like the iphone 3?
    Not enough ... in order to sell phones at the premium price that BlackBerry demands they need a Qwerty phone with a 3.8 to 4 inch screen. I can see Q10 sales drying up very fast. They need a phone that really makes a statement that BlackBerry is here to stay and that BlackBerry can actually design a modern QWERTY.
    10-22-13 06:45 PM
    Not enough ... in order to sell phones at the premium price that BlackBerry demands they need a Qwerty phone with a 3.8 to 4 inch screen. I can see Q10 sales drying up very fast. They need a phone that really makes a statement that BlackBerry is here to stay and that BlackBerry can actually design a modern QWERTY.
    Well I'm curious what they will do. I'm gonna buy whatever they make since I'm in love with my Q10.

Posted via Q10 using CB10
    BroncoVAL likes this.
    10-23-13 02:48 AM
    Actually, the q10 sales are likely to continue fairly steadily, it is obviously a model that is likely to be picked by business users if they move to bb10 and realistically that is a group that does not typically rush into making new purchases.
    10-24-13 06:02 AM
    Well I'm curious what they will do. I'm gonna buy whatever they make since I'm in love with my Q10.
    I would personally suspect that the next high-end qwerty will have a much larger display (unlikely to be a slider though) as simply upping the screen size and specs a little would not be a compelling upgrade as those increments would have a negative impact on the battery life of the device unless they also made it thicker and heavier to include a larger battery.
    10-24-13 06:09 AM
    I more wished it's a updated version of Z30
    Make sure there is a true flagship than the neither here nor there nonsense. Right now I'm truly digging 10.2. Very close to a great phone for business

+ a great camera 15 mpixel , with slow motion and with great lowlight performance
    + better processor and memory , so skype run smoother than ever.
    + wireless charging
    + waterproof
    + better battery.

These list changes every 1-2 months. Haha. Or I just wait for S5.

Posted via CB10
    Tim Heard likes this.
    10-25-13 08:11 AM
    I would personally suspect that the next high-end qwerty will have a much larger display (unlikely to be a slider though) as simply upping the screen size and specs a little would not be a compelling upgrade as those increments would have a negative impact on the battery life of the device unless they also made it thicker and heavier to include a larger battery.
    The larger screen gives you room to put a larger battery behind it. Android phones actually mainly have larger screens because of that. They need high spec processors to run fast and smooth like iOS or BB10 and they need huge batteries to make it through the day. So they need lots of room in phone and easiest way is to put it behind a big screen.

But I don't think BBRY is making a new phone model for a while. And we haven't seen a major price drop in the Q10 yet. So I think that is selling okay. I'm guessing a Q30 is six months off. And an updated Q10 that is a bit lighter and has the improved antena is nine moths off.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 10:57 AM
    I doubt there is room in their portfolio for two higher end qwertys that close together and I would suspect that we will see a q30 device much sooner than an update to the q10 as an incremental update is not going to drive the sales they need compared with a more distinct form factor.
    10-27-13 07:51 AM
    I'd be fine with that if someone would produce a good QWERTY keyboard case for the Z30.

The larger screen gives you room to put a larger battery behind it. Android phones actually mainly have larger screens because of that. They need high spec processors to run fast and smooth like iOS or BB10 and they need huge batteries to make it through the day. So they need lots of room in phone and easiest way is to put it behind a big screen.

But I don't think BBRY is making a new phone model for a while. And we haven't seen a major price drop in the Q10 yet. So I think that is selling okay. I'm guessing a Q30 is six months off. And an updated Q10 that is a bit lighter and has the improved antena is nine moths off.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 10:42 AM
101 ... 2345