They need a slider with 4.7" screen. That would be perfect. I feel there would be enough demand to justify the resources and manufacturing.....I think

Marijuana news, Strain Reviews, Pics, etc. Come hang out with us at Roc's Corner C000A8BE4.
    Tim Heard likes this.
    09-18-13 09:52 AM
    Ditto. A bigger screen only. Keyboard size is fine. Screen VISION is demanded universally right now. A Q30 made with those specs may just be the 'perfect' all-around device...???
    Tim Heard and Protocol 2001 like this.
    09-30-13 10:01 AM
    It might be a stretch for it to be ideal for one-handed use, but it would be possible, whereas it clearly would not be the case if you stepped up to 5 or 6" like that previous poster suggested.

The reasons why I think a device in the size range I suggest is more likely than a slider is that it would allow the device to retain the thinness expected of a modern phone and would eliminate the increased returns due to mechanical issues that are inevitable when comparing a slider with moving parts to a similarly sized device without those moving parts.

The interesting thing for me is will we see more than one high-end Q device, if they think the market is there then we could see a direct upgrade for the q10 alongside a much larger qwerty device, if not then the q10 might remain the top end option for its specific form factor for quite some time.
    I think that a lot of this will depend on how much influence Mike Lazaridis has.

If Prem Watsa gives him more powers, he will Physical Keyboards forward. I think he probably has a lot of plans on his mind to bring BlackBerry back.

Let's face it, it is going to take a pretty ballsy move to bring it forward, and Mike Lazaridis is pretty ballsy.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    09-30-13 04:19 PM
    They need a slider with 4.7" screen. That would be perfect. I feel there would be enough demand to justify the resources and manufacturing.....I think

Marijuana news, Strain Reviews, Pics, etc. Come hang out with us at Roc's Corner C000A8BE4.
    Landscape Slider would be cool.
    09-30-13 08:13 PM

Problem with landscape keyboards is that they tend to be very bulky. If they can find a way to make it slim and keep all that screen related estate I'm in!

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    09-30-13 08:16 PM
    Still holding out hope for a Q30... basically a Q10 with a taller screen, 3.5 - 3.7 inches.

One day........
    Protocol 2001 and gusanbage like this.
    10-04-13 02:27 PM
    I don't think it's going to happen any soon. Since they are going on private they would probably focus on enterprise first. I hope they would release a bigger version of Q10 but with their current status right now. it's hard to say.. who knows..

BB rocks.!!!
    10-04-13 02:39 PM
    am thinkin' bout a q30 more largest than q10 and processor a lil bit faster...
    10-04-13 02:49 PM
    Still holding out hope for a Q30... basically a Q10 with a taller screen, 3.5 - 3.7 inches.
    I think the next higher-end qwerty we see will be more of a change than just a little screen size increase, the q10 has enough speed and memory to a nice workhorse for quite some time, so they will want and need to offer something different that perhaps feeds into that whole mobile computing idea too.
    10-05-13 02:29 AM
    The right course of action after Z30 would be to release a keyboard slider with same screen size as the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 02:30 AM
    The right course of action after Z30 would be to release a keyboard slider with same screen size as the Z10.
    A slider simply doesn't make any sense in the current market, if not even the likes of Samsung with their wide range can't fit one in then that should tell people something about them, a noticeably larger qwerty would make some sense but not the needless additions of increased mechanical failure or device thickness.
    10-05-13 02:35 AM
    A slider simply doesn't make any sense in the current market, if not even the likes of Samsung with their wide range can't fit one in then that should tell people something about them, a noticeably larger qwerty would make some sense but not the needless additions of increased mechanical failure or device thickness.
    Even if it were a landscape qwerty? This could accompanyied with 10.3 to support landscape mode across all core OS apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 02:42 AM
    I think that a lot of this will depend on how much influence Mike Lazaridis has.

If Prem Watsa gives him more powers, he will Physical Keyboards forward. I think he probably has a lot of plans on his mind to bring BlackBerry back.

Let's face it, it is going to take a pretty ballsy move to bring it forward, and Mike Lazaridis is pretty ballsy.

BlackBerry Bold 9900; Q10; Z10
    Yes, he quite handily helped drive the company into the ground...

They should certainly give him back the reins.

ieesh.....

#GetWithBB10 Channel @ C000D7228
    10-05-13 03:28 AM
    Even if it were a landscape qwerty? This could accompanyied with 10.3 to support landscape mode across all core OS apps.
    The orientation of the slider isn't the issue, it is the drawbacks of a slider simply mean that there isn't a great reason to make one as opposed to say a normal qwerty of a similar size since the vast majority of those who want a slider want it for the larger screen and a qwerty keyboard rather than just for the sliding mechanism.

The gains they made from people who did specifically want a sliding mechanism on their large-screen qwerty would be easily offset by the people put off by a thicker device and the additional returns from hw issues because as good as they might make it, the slider would be an additional point of failure compared with a near identical non-slider.
    10-05-13 08:48 AM
    Here's a possible alternative, if no slider device is brought to market: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...yboard-856125/
    10-06-13 10:08 PM
    A very fast new z10 version like the Galaxy s4 or the iPhone 5s ...would be awesome.!!!! same screen size though.
    10-08-13 07:34 AM
    A very fast new z10 version like the Galaxy s4 or the iPhone 5s ...would be awesome.!!!! same screen size though.
    Other than the iphone, there simply doesn't seem to be much of a market for higher-end all-touch models with a smaller screen.
    10-08-13 08:18 AM
    Other than the iphone, there simply doesn't seem to be much of a market for higher-end all-touch models with a smaller screen.
    At this point in time, it appears that there isn't much of a market for any BlackBerry device. The question is what phone would a person or company want to buy if they were predisposed to buying a BlackBerry.

Skeevecr , what phone(s) would you have BlackBerry manufacture for sale ?
    10-09-13 02:05 PM
    At this point in time, it appears that there isn't much of a market for any BlackBerry device. The question is what phone would a person or company want to buy if they were predisposed to buying a BlackBerry.

Skeevecr , what phone(s) would you have BlackBerry manufacture for sale ?
    On the first point, I wasn't just talking about BB devices, unless its an iphone the market is inexorably moving towards larger displays.

As far as what devices would I have them make, we know about a few already that seem to make sense like the two low-end models and then the high-end all touch and all of those sound like sensible choices, which just leaves the high-end qwerty.

For that device there is simply no point upgrading the internal specs without significant changes to the form factor because otherwise you would just detract from the workhorse nature you have with the q10 so I would look for them to do one with a much larger display and qwerty keyboard, but without going down the slider route.
    10-10-13 06:00 AM
    On the first point, I wasn't just talking about BB devices, unless its an iphone the market is inexorably moving towards larger displays.

As far as what devices would I have them make, we know about a few already that seem to make sense like the two low-end models and then the high-end all touch and all of those sound like sensible choices, which just leaves the high-end qwerty.

For that device there is simply no point upgrading the internal specs without significant changes to the form factor because otherwise you would just detract from the workhorse nature you have with the q10 so I would look for them to do one with a much larger display and qwerty keyboard, but without going down the slider route.
    You could be right but why did they they think that 3.1 inches would have been enough ? Is 3.5 inches enough ? Can they get it right this time ? Ergonomic issues suggest that a good overall physical size might be slightly larger than the Q5 ?

Regardless though there will always be QWERTY users who want the size of screen that a Slider makes available ( They do not mind the fat phone).

Edit: I was talking to a Bell Salesman today. In his view the only BB worth buying was the Q10 - for the keyboard. In his mind neither a 9810 type, Z10 or even the Z30 would satisfy traditional BB users.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-10-13 at 04:36 PM.
    10-10-13 11:48 AM
    I would totally buy into a Q30... but it, as noted previously, does not need to be a huge unit like the Z30..a bit bigger yes, but get rid of any unnecessary border within to make the screen that much larger without increasing hugely, the overall size of the phone...that would work.

..they need some models that can drive volume...
    I would argue they already have some Million(s) of Z10's sitting around..No? get them in the market to do the marketing job BBry so totally phuqued up .. seems to me that any of the iSheep that take the time to compare apples to apples (no pun intended), when going up against a Z10, will take the Z10 hands down.

So..BB...You have already spent the $ to build them. You want market share.

My solution: Sell them at cost if you have to...but if 20 points works for ya then blast em out online direct for 350 CAD. I mean come ON BBry...wake the hell up.!! And do the same with the Z30...20-25 points instead of trying to recoup with a price tag of 700+ in a market where your product is considered less than turtle $hit. Z 30 should sell for 629.95..not totally discounted, but enough to possibly shake the tree..and it should be avail at that price ONLINE.

Would there be a Q30 then after some significant sales..?? I would bet on it. and I would buy one as well.!

At some point though, one has to wonder how saturated the market is and given said saturation, how do you keep driving sales when you are hitting price points approaching a 13" Mac Book Pro..?? Not everyone gets a 15+% increase every year...I sure as hell don't.!!

posted with my Mac Book Pro linked to my Q10.

rgds,

stk
    Last edited by steakman911; 10-10-13 at 11:40 PM.
    10-10-13 11:28 PM
    You could be right but why did they they think that 3.1 inches would have been enough ? Is 3.5 inches enough ? Can they get it right this time ? Ergonomic issues suggest that a good overall physical size might be slightly larger than the Q5 ?

Regardless though there will always be QWERTY users who want the size of screen that a Slider makes available ( They do not mind the fat phone).

Edit: I was talking to a Bell Salesman today. In his view the only BB worth buying was the Q10 - for the keyboard. In his mind neither a 9810 type, Z10 or even the Z30 would satisfy traditional BB users.
    Sorry, I was talking about the z10 being too small for the current market, the qwerty devices are going to be a different case and there will still be some market for q5/q10 size devices even if they subsequently bring out a qwerty with a larger display.

I think the idea that a slider is the only form factor that can deliver a physical qwerty and a larger display is an out-dated one especially when alternatives do not result in thicker devices or slightly increased returns due to mechanical failures.

Until more people try and like an all-touch bb10 device then the best qwerty device is going to tend to be the one people recommend if any.
    10-11-13 06:11 AM
    What do you mean by this? What other form factor would be "better" at delivering a large display and a physical QWERTY?
    If, for example, I want a screen the size of a Z30, simply adding a permanent keyboard down below would be cumbersome. Similarly, creating a flip phone with a screen the size of the Z30 is possible, but doesn't seem to offer any advantages over a slider. Possibly a flip phone with 2 large screens? I just don't see any way to combine "large screen" and "physical QWERTY keyboard" without going the slider route.

I just did a quick Google search for "futuristic QWERTY phone designs" and couldn't find anything that even conceptually seemed better than a slider form factor.

I think the idea that a slider is the only form factor that can deliver a physical qwerty and a larger display is an out-dated one especially when alternatives do not result in thicker devices or slightly increased returns due to mechanical failures.
    10-11-13 10:56 AM
    The issue right now is the square QWERTY screen dimensions BB has chosen. For example using the width of of the Z30 as a max the screen would increase in size by 5 mm in width and height. Now that is not bad but probably still only at the 3.5 inch level if they can be better on their bezels... but the Keyboard would be even more usable.

I would prefer a 3.5 inch Q30 over a 4 inch Slider.
    10-11-13 12:49 PM
    What do you mean by this? What other form factor would be "better" at delivering a large display and a physical QWERTY?
    If, for example, I want a screen the size of a Z30, simply adding a permanent keyboard down below would be cumbersome.
    There has been a mock-up posted on here (think it originated on n4bb) that while it wasn't as large a display as a z30, it was a much larger screen and a physical qwerty giving the same benefits as a slider, but instead of increased mechanical failure and a thicker device you instead have a larger device.
    10-12-13 06:33 AM
101 12345