what? Take a look at this:

This is coming out the same time the Odin refresh is expected. Has RIM really just entirely abandoned any position in the mid-high range of smartphone devices?
    09-22-10 11:05 AM
    what? Take a look at this:

This is coming out the same time the Odin refresh is expected. Has RIM really just entirely abandoned any position in the mid-high range of smartphone devices?
    It appears so. If RIM brings us an ODIN Refresh and holds the real Storm 3 upgrade for another six months...they will cease to be relevant in the smart phone scene. The Storm3 no matter how good - will fail to find an audience worthy of the effort to bring it out when you consider what HTC and Apple have coming out next spring.
    09-22-10 11:39 AM
    Six months IS next Spring. So if they wait six months, and it matches what Apple and HTC put out, there shouldn't be an issue.
    09-22-10 11:49 AM
    Six months IS next Spring. So if they wait six months, and it matches what Apple and HTC put out, there shouldn't be an issue.
    The question is, will it even match what Apple and HTC/Samsung/Moto are putting out right now?
    09-22-10 02:42 PM
    this device is not meant to compete with ANYTHING out in the market today except for maybe the eris, iphone 3g, and maybe a palm pre lmao
    09-22-10 05:49 PM
    htc makes some great looking phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-10 05:51 PM
    Nothing BB has out now, I thik compares to the last genration of Android devices, all of which I now believe have been upped to 2.2. I like my S2, but steal my kid's Incrdible vey chance I get. For the frst time, since I got the S1 on launch day, I am considerng splitting devices. My company mandatd BB just for BES, and phone, personal e-mail, music and applicatons on Android, and continue to lobby my company to move from BES to Exchange Server.
    09-22-10 07:40 PM
    Prior to Storm, I had 8700g and before that 7250 and carried a seperate phone and mp3 player, I moved to Storm as an all in one solution to simplify my life. But the browser and OS have not moved all that much from the earliest devices.
    09-22-10 07:46 PM
    it cannot match android. at least not top tiered android phones. they are bringing dual core processor phones. i drool over those phones but, no matter what, BB will not have a phone that can compete spec wise (rim hasnt even broken the 1ghz barrier yet!). they are practicing this efficient dynamics mantra (just like bmw ), so they will put the bare bones spec. at least, thats what i suspect and its what rim has been practicing since it has been in business. its a safe bet imo.
    09-23-10 01:24 AM
    My company mandatd BB just for BES, and phone, personal e-mail, music and applicatons on Android, and continue to lobby my company to move from BES to Exchange Server.
    BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server) connects to an email server whether it be Lotus Notes, GroupWise, or Exchange to provide the wireless sync between the BlackBerry device and email system. A BES server would not work without an email system to connect too.
    09-23-10 09:08 AM
    i guessing he means get rid of the BES and just use the exchange server since android and apple and even BB can still connect to the exchange server without BES
    09-23-10 09:15 AM
    Maybe, I can see that is possibly what was meant when moving from BES to Exchange. ActiveSync is the protocol on Exchange that allows Apple and Android devices to connect wirelessly. I have never seen a BlackBerry make use of this connection. A BlackBerry can use Outlook Web Access to get two-way sync of email but that is it. ActiveSync is Microsoft's answer to BES and BESX.

Let me clarify my comment about BlackBerry and ActiveSync as not being possible. There are a few applications that can allow a BlackBerry device to connect using ActiveSync but nothing natively from RIM on the BlackBerry allows this connection, only Outlook Web Access.
    Last edited by TEP; 09-23-10 at 09:30 AM.
    09-23-10 09:21 AM
    right you would use OWA over BES if needed. its not the same obviously but you can use some functions.
    09-23-10 09:57 AM
    The 9570 is designed to compete with the storm1 and storm2....
    09-23-10 12:25 PM
    That desire hd looks tight... Too bad it won't have NA frequencies

09-23-10 12:37 PM
    That desire hd looks tight... Too bad it won't have NA frequencies

we would have the incredible HD as the US version
    09-23-10 01:11 PM
    Only one problem... HTC Sense only allows for a single Enterprise ActiveSync account to be setup on the phone. Boooo!!!! Apple fixed this... when can we expect Google and HTC to get with the program? Sure, standalone Android allows for more then one ActiveSync account to be configured, but you won't get separate calendars, etc. Google needs to fix that... and QUICK! They also need to get with the program and add support for proper ActiveSync security policies on the devices. What's way overdue as well.
    09-24-10 11:44 PM
    Only one problem... HTC Sense only allows for a single Enterprise ActiveSync account to be setup on the phone. Boooo!!!! Apple fixed this... when can we expect Google and HTC to get with the program? Sure, standalone Android allows for more then one ActiveSync account to be configured, but you won't get separate calendars, etc. Google needs to fix that... and QUICK! They also need to get with the program and add support for proper ActiveSync security policies on the devices. What's way overdue as well.
    no crap, this pisses me off to no end now that hotmail is push now. i need to activesync/exchange accounts. and the vanilla email just doesnt cut it, i want my Sense mail!
    09-25-10 04:24 AM
    no crap, this pisses me off to no end now that hotmail is push now. i need to activesync/exchange accounts. and the vanilla email just doesnt cut it, i want my Sense mail!
    Yep, I still don't understand what the big deal is with Google? They need to just fix this once and for all. This is one of the reasons why Android is NOT certified for Enterprise use in my book and the iPhone IS. Until they get their stuff together, no Android phone will see the networks I manage. There, it's been said. "Google won't have a strong foothold in the Enterprise market until JRSCCivic98 sees these improvements."
    09-26-10 10:11 AM
    lmao, can i get that in writing please
    09-26-10 10:17 AM
    I believe that these "refresh" devices just to run OS 6 are a waste. They are going to be showing QNX on the tablet this week at Devcon. The only way to get app developers to buy into QNX is to get the phones running QNX ASAP so that they have a larger user base (phones and tablets) to develop for. OS 6 is a stop gap, and a weak one at that when compared to the competition. The Torch has shown that OS 6 is not the OS it was hyped to be, better than 5, but not an Android/iOS competitor. They should know what QNX will require to run hardware wise based on the tablet (a big phone without the radio/mic and earpiece), release phones that will run QNX cause if you do these refresh devices to just run OS 6, then come out with QNX that won't run on them you look foolish and will upset your base. If you release a tablet running a great OS with no Apps being developed, you look foolish. Better to admit to a mistake once then to admit twice so close together. Right now I'd much more prefer a buggy QNX powered blackberry device than an OS 6 refresh knowing that QNX is right around the corner.
    09-26-10 11:40 AM
    Rumors from DevCon seem to indicate that Rim is no way near ready to deliver a new os for a tablet or the storm/torch. It looks like os 6 will be here for a while and this refresh will be the new storm for the foreseeable future. Just think of how long it took RIM to get os 6 out the door and released on one device and os 6 is essentially a refresh of os 5. This rumored QNX-based os will be entirely new from the ground up. RIM simply cannot move that quickly. I don't know if this is because of their corporate structure, how conservative they are or how they are afraid of hurting their already somewhat strained relationship with developers? Perhaps it is all of the above. With how slowly RIM moves I think people who hold off on this refresh thinking the real storm 3 will be released in March or even later in the spring or 2011 will be waiting longer than expected. I think summer of 2011 will be the earliest a true storm 3 would be released and fall of 2011 is more reasonable. I also think Verizon will offer the 9570 refresh at $200 at initial release and then drop the price to $100 after a month or so and possibly offer free mobile hot spot (if this refresh has it like the previously leaked training slide indicated) when it does not sell well just like they did with the palm pre plus. I would consider it if it came with free mobile hot spot for the life of the device given that I get a yearly upgrade. Without a yearly upgrade, I would probably pass.

RIM not announcing BlackBerry tablet at DevCon today? Boy Genius Report

*********** Good thing BGR can't get their rumors straight. The Playbook looks slick. All the BlackBerry haters that post there can't say "yawn" and "it looks like every other BlackBerry" like they usually do when there is a RIM article. RIM needs to get this os on handsets ASAP. I still fear that it won't be hitting their phone lineup until next fall. Way too late imho.
    Last edited by Stides; 09-27-10 at 06:53 PM.
    09-27-10 02:39 PM
    i am with you 100 % on this. RIM need to announce before the end of devcon that there will be a new device coming out running qnx (hopefully S3) at the same time as the playbook.
    this will provide the correct impetus that the developers will need to encourage them to come to our app store.

RIM have for the first time in ages got begrudgingly good press from engadget and gizmodo, they must capitalise on this and prove to us that the smartphones running qnx are following shortly. End of next year is too late. CX has been saying that the new phones will be everything that we are looking and more but is worried users will not wait and migrate to apple and android.
    09-28-10 07:54 AM
    Maybe, I can see that is possibly what was meant when moving from BES to Exchange. ActiveSync is the protocol on Exchange that allows Apple and Android devices to connect wirelessly. I have never seen a BlackBerry make use of this connection. A BlackBerry can use Outlook Web Access to get two-way sync of email but that is it. ActiveSync is Microsoft's answer to BES and BESX.

Let me clarify my comment about BlackBerry and ActiveSync as not being possible. There are a few applications that can allow a BlackBerry device to connect using ActiveSync but nothing natively from RIM on the BlackBerry allows this connection, only Outlook Web Access.
    There is a whole lot more that a company can do with BES than just sync email, calendars, tasks, address books. We use it to enforce IT policies, deploy software to phones, wirelessly provisions new phones for remote users, secure the phone (via encryption and firewalls), etc. Also, what happens when a user loses their phone or it gets stolen? This happens all the time. With BES you can remote wipe/disable the BB. There is more to BES that I don't use but others do. I'm pretty sure Apple and Google haven't anything like that......yet. When they do, I'll be sure test out Androids and iPhones but until then, there is NOTHING like BES for the corporate worlds.
    09-29-10 12:14 AM
    I don't think anybody is arguing that RIM still reigns in the Corporate World, this thread was more about the fact that when the Storm 1 released it was supposed to bring RIM into the Consumer side of things and since releasing it, all we've seen is refresh after refresh come along and once again they're releasing ANOTHER refresh and that's because they were to CHEAP to put more memory in at the time. So until RIM comes up with something on the phone side of things that is comparable to the competition, then not only do they still reign in the Corporate World, but in the "Refresh World" as well.
    09-29-10 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD