08-13-15 12:39 PM
312 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Has anyone read the article? Can anyone make sense of the article? If the quality of research at Morning News USA is anything like the article's quality of content, some of which doesn't even make sense, I don't put much store in this article at all...

Even if you can decipher the content, there's nothing in it to make the leap to a 64 bit chip suggested in this posts heading!
    03-18-14 06:52 AM
    Couldn't agree more.

I dont see why a 'beast' of a phone like this is going to sell well? Is there some market research indicating that BB10 devices arent selling because they are 'under powered'? Or is it because as soon as you say 'Blackberry' people have this visceral repulsive reaction. BB10 devices are tainted by the horrible BB OS devices of the past. I dont see how coming out with a high spec phone is going to solve that.

The only benefit I can see is that this higher spec phone might fix the laginess of some of the Android apps that are currently running on my Z30... but I am still not entirely convinced that it's worthwhile.
    Yeah, BlackBerry is a failed brand. Part of the reason this comes true is because they consistently failed to deliver what the market wants. For example, touch screen, decent browser, super phone specs, apps, etc. It makes people feel that they are in capable of innovation, they are dinosaurs.

Unfortunately, to change that they have to get everything right and then some. They have to have all the features other people have, and then have something other people don't have. Simply having something special is not enough to succeed anymore, they have to be better than others to merely catch up others's pace in sales.

So yeah, specs are important to them too. This is part of the big picture.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    03-18-14 07:37 AM
    The 64 bit chips announced so far are less than stellar., especially the ones that will be available in 2014. At MWC Qualcomm announced the following:

Qualcomm’s 4- and 8-core Snapdragon 610 and 615 trade CPU power for 64-bit | Ars Technica

And it's interesting to note from the article

"Cortex A7 and A53 are both small cores designed for low power rather than high performance, which means that Snapdragon 610 and 615 may actually be slower than last year's Snapdragon 600 for many tasks. For software that can use all of the CPU cores at once, it's possible that the eight-core 615 will be able to gain an edge, but the CPUs will likely be more remarkable for their ARMv8 support than their raw performance."
    03-18-14 07:54 AM
    Couldn't agree more.

I dont see why a 'beast' of a phone like this is going to sell well? Is there some market research indicating that BB10 devices arent selling because they are 'under powered'? Or is it because as soon as you say 'Blackberry' people have this visceral repulsive reaction. BB10 devices are tainted by the horrible BB OS devices of the past. I dont see how coming out with a high spec phone is going to solve that.

The only benefit I can see is that this higher spec phone might fix the laginess of some of the Android apps that are currently running on my Z30... but I am still not entirely convinced that it's worthwhile.
    Yes there is. Or you could just look to some of Chen's recent statements that BlackBerry hasn't been selling well because they weren't competitive.

Under powdered devices may not be the direct reason they weren't selling but it is a major factor. The devices over promised and under delivered.

How do you plan on getting reviewers and consumers to consider BlackBerry devices if they don't compete next to their rivals? Fact is they won't compete. You'll get more of the negative feedback from reviews and consumers saying that BlackBerry is making sub par devices and comments about BlackBerry going out of business. And that sounds about right if they are making devices that compete in 2010. All you'll get is the BlackBerry faithful saying how great the devices are and how everyone is a hater and bashes BlackBerry.

BlackBerry needs a beast of a device like this to get buzz out there. Show the market that they are still a going concern.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    03-18-14 09:13 AM
    This is an interesting thread... I would buy that phone in a heartbeat but I do need something for BB... To actually get the main apps in BB world...... You don't need a million but at least the important ones...
    Don't talk about snap and android apps... I have a few android apps on my phone but I am just a big fan of the UI in BB , it annoys me that I have to use android apps... Android apps should be considered as a cool thing that BB 10 can do... not a primary source!!!!

P.S. I just wanted to follow the thread so I had to write something
    rai187 likes this.
    03-18-14 09:19 AM
    If the general consensus is that there are no apps for BlackBerry, then no amount of hardware will steal anyone away from their platform of choice. It will be a nice fast phone, with no one using it and no apps...
    03-18-14 09:23 AM
    If the general consensus is that there are no apps for BlackBerry, then no amount of hardware will steal anyone away from their platform of choice. It will be a nice fast phone, with no one using it and no apps...
    Why isn't that this an all or nothing situation. Both are issues that need work.

03-18-14 09:26 AM
    I'd buy that phone in a heart beat.

I also agree that a phone with those specs will bring a lot of users back to BlackBerry. It will really show that BlackBerry can still compete with the big boys.

I agree! I want THAT phone!
    03-18-14 09:52 AM
    Build that AND take 50 millions $. Give 500.000 $ to each big name software developer and make a deal so that for the next two years they are going to release on BB10 their native apps! (EA,Gameloft,Instagram,Wechat etc..).
    In the meantime sign agreements with big companies (Canon,Panasonic,Epson,banks,assurance companies..) and ask them to develop apps for BB10 in exchange for a discount on BES contracts!

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 09:55 AM
    Build that AND take 50 millions $. Give 500.000 $ to each big name software developer and make a deal so that for the next two years they are going to release on BB10 their native apps! (EA,Gameloft,Instagram,Wechat etc..)
    BB already tried everything to get reluctant developers on board: only a bankrupting amount of money would get Netflix and Instagram to build and support native versions at this point.

Yes, quite a few more big-name apps would help with BlackBerry 10's acceptance in the market... but at this point, it's a chicken and egg situation: these vendors will come on board only when there are lots more BB10 devices being used as daily drivers by real humans (say, something like 20-30 million? maybe more?) and of course a lot more WOULD come on board if the apps were there, but they're not...so... BlackBerry's job in the next while is to get BBOS holdouts (and those on other platforms who would come back to BlackBerry if it was more like BBOS... not a lot of these people, but there are some) to migrate to BB10 rather than migrating to iOS or Android.

If BB can execute the Q20 strategy properly (and hopefully bring out a low-price Belted full QWERTY soon) then there may indeed be 20 million more BB10 active users in the next year or so... then if the App Developers are inspired (i.e. if growth on the other platforms is slowing down) then they'll see BB10 as a "growth opportunity" and consider a native app.

This isn't going to happen quickly folks: expect it to take a year or more.
    03-18-14 10:12 AM
    This is an interesting thread... I would buy that phone in a heartbeat but I do need something for BB... To actually get the main apps in BB world...... You don't need a million but at least the important ones...
    Don't talk about snap and android apps... I have a few android apps on my phone but I am just a big fan of the UI in BB , it annoys me that I have to use android apps... Android apps should be considered as a cool thing that BB 10 can do... not a primary source!!!!

P.S. I just wanted to follow the thread so I had to write something
    Very good point. I am not a fan of the Android UI either but use some of the apps on my phone. If you ask me what I prefer ported Instagram or native iGrann I prefer the UI on iGrann. I knows it's not what everyone wants because it's missing one thing or another but the app is very nice.
    03-18-14 10:19 AM
    Very good point. I am not a fan of the Android UI either but use some of the apps on my phone. If you ask me what I prefer ported Instagram or native iGrann I prefer the UI on iGrann. I knows it's not what everyone wants because it's missing one thing or another but the app is very nice.
    I absolutely agree. Took me a long time to finally decide to install snap. I don't think most basic users will. That's a stop gap measure at best.

If BlackBerry built a solid high end device and sell it for a reasonable price to attract users then they will develop a large user base. Once they have a large enough user base app developers will want to produce native BB10 apps.

I realize it's a bit of the chicken and the egg, but in think having a solid device that competes on specs is the first step.

03-18-14 10:24 AM
    We should make Pharrell the BlackBerry Ambassador for the new device and put it in his next 24 hour video

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 10:30 AM
    BB already tried everything to get reluctant developers on board: only a bankrupting amount of money would get Netflix and Instagram to build and support native versions at this point.

Yes, quite a few more big-name apps would help with BlackBerry 10's acceptance in the market... but at this point, it's a chicken and egg situation: these vendors will come on board only when there are lots more BB10 devices being used as daily drivers by real humans (say, something like 20-30 million? maybe more?) and of course a lot more WOULD come on board if the apps were there, but they're not...so... BlackBerry's job in the next while is to get BBOS holdouts (and those on other platforms who would come back to BlackBerry if it was more like BBOS... not a lot of these people, but there are some) to migrate to BB10 rather than migrating to iOS or Android.

If BB can execute the Q20 strategy properly (and hopefully bring out a low-price Belted full QWERTY soon) then there may indeed be 20 million more BB10 active users in the next year or so... then if the App Developers are inspired (i.e. if growth on the other platforms is slowing down) then they'll see BB10 as a "growth opportunity" and consider a native app.

This isn't going to happen quickly folks: expect it to take a year or more.
    No new device is going to suddenly change the BlackBerry landscape - the Q10 was suppose to blow the Z10 sales out of the water, but it sank while tied up at the dock. Not sure why a Q20 or a Q2.5 would be in different - yes they will find a few homes, but change the prospects of the company.... no. Providing business with the confidence to invest in BES10 and BB10 will help to keep the brand going as a "pro" device. Maybe slowly as business users are "forced" to use BB10 they and their families will be drawn to it and the Brand can be resurrected in that way.
    Mr.V786 likes this.
    03-18-14 10:47 AM
    ahhhhhhhhh

the anticipation
    03-18-14 10:54 AM
    Providing business with the confidence to invest in BES10 and BB10 will help to keep the brand going as a "pro" device. Maybe slowly as business users are "forced" to use BB10 they and their families will be drawn to it and the Brand can be resurrected in that way.
    Is that really BlackBerry's goal? To keep the brand going?

I sure hope not. BlackBerry isn't currently a pro device as you say. In fact BlackBerry's state right now is pitiful. Keep it going at its current state isn't going to work.

BlackBerry's goal is to grow the brand to a sustainable level, while focusing on business users. With most businesses headed toward BYOD having a phone that people want to use that competes on specs is just as important for the business crowd as it is the consumer market.

No new device is going to suddenly change the BlackBerry landscape - the Q10 was suppose to blow the Z10 sales out of the water, but it sank while tied up at the dock.
    Those devices were doomed from the beginning because they were released so late that they didn't compete on specs. They were supposed to blow away the competition and didn't. They competed with devices one to two years old. As Chen put it they over promised and under delivered.

If BlackBerry can in fact release a beast of a device like this one then it's the first step in growing the brand, and building market and consumer confidence in BlackBerry. BlackBerry needs to show that they will be around in the long run if they are to attract new customers, particularly business clients that are looking 10-20 years down the road.

The rebuilding phase isn't about "suddenly" changing the BlackBerry landscape. It is about gradually growing the brand and regaining confidence. It's about showing that they are still a competitive company with new ideas. Releasing devices that are years behind isn't going to do that.

Last edited by crazigee; 03-18-14 at 06:37 PM.
    Alain_A likes this.
    03-18-14 12:54 PM
    I just hope they make a device like this with a 4.2" display. Can't stand the feel of a phablet, that and it's size makes it appear somewhat unprofessional.

Posted via CB10
    KDB84 likes this.
    03-18-14 12:56 PM
    I just hope they make a device like this with a 4.2" display. Can't stand the feel of a phablet, that and it's size makes it appear somewhat unprofessional.

Posted via CB10
    Is the Z30 considered a phablet?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-18-14 01:07 PM
    I am waiting for a competitive bb10 phone to upgrade in August but I will wait a bit more if something good coming. Z30 is ok but already lagging in some respects, especially camera. C'mon BB don't dissapoint or I will stay with Android and go to the Sony Z2

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk
    Alain_A likes this.
    03-18-14 01:29 PM
    I hate to inject realities into this party here, but I seriously couldn't grab the idea where BBRY will have first dip and exclusive hardware feature from Qualcomm given that BBRY is not a first tier customer/partner of Qualcomm.
    Did anyone ever wonder why Samsung, LG, HTC always come out with latest/best spec SOC from Qualcomm first before other guys? They are the tier 1 customers with quantities and/or long term business relationship. BBRY simply isn't going to get any exclusive feature or first dip unless they could afford to pay through the roof, given their ordering pattern.
    There is this hard reality where economic of scale and vendor market reputation do affect your ability to source best component.
    03-18-14 02:30 PM
    Is the Z30 considered a phablet?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Some people consider any phone with a 5" screen or larger to fall within the phablet category. Personally I think that if I can't operate it comfortably in one hand then it qualifies as a phablet.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 03:18 PM
    Some people consider any phone with a 5" screen or larger to fall within the phablet category. Personally I think that if I can't operate it comfortably in one hand then it qualifies as a phablet.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry doesn't currently make a phablet. The Samsung galaxy 3, 4 and 5 are phones. They have the same screen size as a Z30. The Samsung galaxy Note family are phablets. They have larger screens and additional software to take advantage of the larger screen.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141 O2 UK
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-18-14 04:32 PM
    I hate to inject realities into this party here, but I seriously couldn't grab the idea where BBRY will have first dip and exclusive hardware feature from Qualcomm given that BBRY is not a first tier customer/partner of Qualcomm.
    Did anyone ever wonder why Samsung, LG, HTC always come out with latest/best spec SOC from Qualcomm first before other guys? They are the tier 1 customers with quantities and/or long term business relationship. BBRY simply isn't going to get any exclusive feature or first dip unless they could afford to pay through the roof, given their ordering pattern.
    There is this hard reality where economic of scale and vendor market reputation do affect your ability to source best component.
    That doesn't mean things couldn't change. There's a lot of things people would not have expected since Chen came in. 1.5gb Z3. Return of tool belt for BB10 qwerty. Things change and it's possible that they could get high end hardware. Doesn't Qualcomm get payed regardless if it sells or not ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-18-14 06:06 PM
    That doesn't mean things couldn't change. There's a lot of things people would not have expected since Chen came in. 1.5gb Z3. Return of tool belt for BB10 qwerty. Things change and it's possible that they could get high end hardware. Doesn't Qualcomm get payed regardless if it sells or not ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I understand your point. Qualcomm of course wishes everyone buys the high end chips where they have highest margin. But their tier-one customers (BBRY competitors) do care and will pull their weight to get access to the latest SOC before everyone else. The point of customer tier is to better prioritize the attention in order to maximize profit and customer relationship.
    Chen definitely understand this. And that is probably part of the reason that he is focusing on the enterprise market.
    All I am saying is that given BBRY scale, there is almost no chance that they will have a flag ship phone with the latest SOC before others. But certainly they could line up the launch within the same period with others.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-18-14 06:24 PM
    64-bit is good for more RAM. (OS companies do not want to make lean programs - so you need the 64-bit to run FAT OS)
    03-18-14 09:39 PM
312 ... 23456 ...