08-13-15 12:39 PM
312 12345 ...
tools
    I would really like them to prove that the Z30 is the "slowest device of all."
    That is so stupid to say... no credibility whatsoever... although the iPhone 5s cpu gpu is technically better than the competition. it doesn't equate in speed because of iOS and the home button. Many phones are faster even with lesser specs in that sense.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-17-14 05:04 PM
    I don't mind the size of the Z10. But I think I'd prefer the 5.2" as long as it is 1080p.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    I don't understand this...people don't complain about the screen on the Galaxy Note 2 and that has the same screen technology as the Z30 - S-Stripe Super AMOLED - and actually has a lower PPI since it is also 720p but has a bigger screen. SMH...

I actually prefer their choice because it means much better battery life. I can't tell the difference without my breaking my big nose against the screen, so why complain?

Though, the price should be a bit lower. Especially in South Africa where it is the equivalent of $850.

Mmm...CB10! Just the tip though...
    wincyUt, eldricho and CDM76 like this.
    03-17-14 05:14 PM
    Make me laugh when iPhone 5S have a 64-bit processor but 32-bit OS and still emphasis their CPU is superior.
    iOS7 on the 5S and current iPads is 64-bit.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    avt123 likes this.
    03-17-14 05:17 PM
    I understand that battery life is always going to be a concern, but there are engineering issues that need to be dealt with when going with such high specs: The faster a MPU/CPU is, there more electricity it needs (in relation to the etched transistor size) and the more heat it generates. Microchip technology has evolved by leaps and bounds, but it is hitting the limits of silicon substrates. This means that transistors are about as small as they can get. Basically, this means that if one needs more transistors, the dies need to be larger. Increasing the switching speed also means more heat generation and power usage. This is why many high-end gamer PCs have huge CPU heatsinks, or water cooling, and 1200W power supplies.

Who wants a device that will either succomb to thermal failure, after cooking their hands or weighs two pounds due to heat sinks (and battery)?

There have also been comments about screen size and resolution. The current mobile device market is catering to consumers who want 24/7 instant entertainment : A portable videogame, jukebox, internet access node, GPS navigator, and movie player, with a mobile phone added in. This is one reason that the large screen devices have become so popular.

Raw specs can be impressive, but only have meaning if they are fully utilized. If a 64b processor is included, it is without any meaning if a 32b OS is used.

What this ultimately comes down to is practicality and convienance. Size, asthetics, and useability come first, than advertizing

The reason i have a BlackBerry, besides quality and security, is that it can do almost everything I need to do in a day without having to carry a laptop everywhere.
    CDM76, 00stryder and eldricho like this.
    03-17-14 05:27 PM
    I don't understand this...people don't complain about the screen on the Galaxy Note 2 and that has the same screen technology as the Z30 - S-Stripe Super AMOLED - and actually has a lower PPI since it is also 720p but has a bigger screen. SMH...
    What are you talking about. Are you trying to claim that 720p is better somehow?

The screen on the Z30 is noticeably pixilated. Why are you comparing apples to oranges. The Galaxy note was released in 2011. The Z30 was released in 2013. So I'd you're saying that the Z30 specs are good enough for 2011, the I agree with you.

If you want to make a valid comparison you need to compare the Z30 to the GS4 or even GS5. The Z30, which was released end of 2014, has a 5" display with only 294 ppi. The GS4 also has a 5" display, but 441 ppi. The S5 will have a 5.1" display, which is closest to this rumored BlackBerry, which is maybe going to have a 5.2" screen. The S5 has 432 ppi. So if you're really trying to claim that this new rumored device should still have a 720p screen, and therefore a ppi of even lower than 294, and still look as good then you're just nuts.

I'm talking about the 5.2" screen on the rumored upcoming device, which should be 1080p to maximize the ppi, and to be competitive with other flagship devices. It can't have a lower than 294 ppi and compete with a device than has 432 ppi.

I actually prefer their choice because it means much better battery life. I can't tell the difference without my breaking my big nose against the screen, so why complain?
    Again, you have your facts a bit mixed up. My brother has a GS4, which has both a larger and higher resolution screen than my Z10, and somehow he has significantly better battery life than my Z10.

The constant referral to battery life as an excuse for a lower resolution is nothing more than a pitiful attempt by the BlackBerry faithful to justify the lower end specs on the current BlackBerry line up. Sorry but it's true.

Last edited by crazigee; 03-17-14 at 06:00 PM.
    Alain_A likes this.
    03-17-14 05:37 PM
    5.2 screen? Too big for my liking. Give me all those high end features with a 4.6-4.8 screen, and now we are talking!
    03-17-14 05:49 PM
    What are you talking about. Are you trying to claim that 720p is better somehow? The screen on the Z30 is noticeably pixilated. Why are you comparing apples to oranges. If you want to make a valid comparison you need to compare the Z30 to the GS4.

I'm talking about the 5.2" screen on the rumored upcoming device, which should be 1080p to maximize the ppi, and to be competitive with other flagship devices.

Again, you have your facts a bit mixed up. My brother has a GS4, which has both a larger and higher resolution screen than my Z10, and somehow he has significantly better battery life than my Z10.

The constant referral to battery life as an excuse for a lower resolution is nothing more than a pitiful attempt by the BlackBerry faithful to justify the lower end specs on the current BlackBerry line up. Sorry but it's true.

He's saying that 720p consumes less battery life... which is true... and now you are making comparisons of phones with much bigger batteries....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Nharzhool likes this.
    03-17-14 05:59 PM
    He's saying that 720p consumes less battery life... which is true...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    It's true, but as you point out what's needed in upcoming models is a better battery, and better power management in the software, cause as I said my brother's GS4 lasts way longer than my Z10. His screen is way nicer than my Z10's BTW.

03-17-14 06:01 PM
    It's true, but as you point out what's needed in upcoming models is a better battery, and better power management in the software, cause as I said my brother's GS4 lasts way longer than my Z10. His screen is way nicer than my Z10's BTW.

Ok? That's to be expected. Still the Z30 is the match-up to the GS4 and there's a few things that the Z30 can do better. The follow up to the Z30 is going to be a massive leap for BlackBerry if the rumors and quotes from BlackBerry officials are true.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-17-14 06:36 PM
    Ok? That's to be expected. Still the Z30 is the match-up to the GS4 and there's a few things that the Z30 can do better.
    Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I totally agree. However, all I was saying is that the screen on this rumored device should be 1080p. I never said that the Z30 wasn't better in some ways.

The follow up to the Z30 is going to be a massive leap for BlackBerry if the rumors and quotes from BlackBerry officials are true.
    Once again I totally agree with you. If the rumored specs turn out to be true it will be an awesome phone and will go along way to rebuilding BlackBerry's credibility and really shown that they can still compete.

Just to reiterate all I said was, "I think that rumored device should have a 1080p screen."

03-17-14 07:50 PM
    If only it was that easy. Don't you think Google has a say in whether or not that gets done?
    You're right they do. I believe Google needs to review and approve the phone, or in this case the player, before they give their blessing. Hopefully that's one of the talks BlackBerry is having with Google on the background.
    03-17-14 08:08 PM
    Industry leading specs were only a dream in the past for us CrackBerry readers. John Chen could make it a reality.

But the device won't make a dent in the marketplace without advertising & promotion.
    03-17-14 08:30 PM
    There important thing is to sort out the Android Player integration. BB should find a way to run all apps including the ones that requires GPlay services. May be they can add BlackBerry services like how Nokia integrated Microsoft services for Nokia X to run all Android apps. Nokia X comes preloaded with One Mobile Store I guess if I am not wrong.

That would make android apps run like butter.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-14 09:28 PM
    Regarding this so called Flagship BB10 device, my sources have been floating around "64-Bit Octa-Core, Quad-Graphics, 4GB 5.2"HD 1080p, 16MP rear/8MP front Camera etc., with unique graphics features that will be available for this device only. Hardware specs alone in my estimation, will gain BBRY at least a 1 year lead.

But this won't just be a plain old 5.2" phone, Oh NO, not at all. This Timbit of info is sealed away for now. I promised my sources not to say a word on it, except for one word, it's WOW

Posted via CB10
    I too read the internet. I hope Mr. Insider comes back to clean up more 'miss-information' lol.
    Since he's an AT&T Insider, maybe he can tell us as to why AT&T hasn't got off their arse to release the Z30 or maybe he did tell us, they're passing on it to wait for this magical device that will help leapfrog the competition.

Ribbit, ribbit!
    randall2580, avt123 and HUNTZODIAC like this.
    03-17-14 09:52 PM
    Humm, interesting that you posted my Post in defense of the Z30, along with the link. Humm.. OK...
    Here is another link pertaining to the 64-Bit BlackBerry high end Smart Phone that is said to be available sometime in Sept-Oct 2014.

BlackBerry 64-bit octa-core phone coming this September not 2015, says source

Rumoured Spec's
    Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8994 @ 2.5GHz per Core
    64-bit Octa-Core (100% Sure)
    OpenGL 3
    4GB Memory
    5.2" screen at 1080 x 1920 etc.,
    --------------
    The original Z50 developed and designed by the previous Management has been Re-Vamped because it originally called for a 3GB Memory and a Quad-Core CPU @ 2.3GHz. If BlackBerry wants to WOW the people and wants to attract Android/iOS users to BB10, John Chen will need to super charge the specs, such as the specs I've listed above.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I just got my Z30 in January!!
    03-17-14 10:27 PM
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I just got my Z30 in January!!
    Screw you ! I have a Z10 and a 3 year contract !

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    arvind1983 likes this.
    03-17-14 10:29 PM
    That being said, BlackBerry has to "leapfrog" the competitions at least once after so many years now.
    03-17-14 10:33 PM
    That being said, BlackBerry has to "leapfrog" the competitions at least once after so many years now.
    Nah, BlackBerry never had so much balls
    03-17-14 10:39 PM
    Non of this means anything if they don't improve and fix BB10 OS. I am happy with the hardware if it means BB10 runs smoothly and problem free.
    03-17-14 11:39 PM
    You're right they do. I believe Google needs to review and approve the phone, or in this case the player, before they give their blessing. Hopefully that's one of the talks BlackBerry is having with Google on the background.
    BB has already announced (and repeated in an interview about 2 weeks ago) that they have no intention of doing this, because they're fully aware that it wouldn't be possible to meet Google's requirements and keep BB10 (they'd have to use real, full Android), plus, they want users using BB World, not the Play Store. If you're holding out hope that BB is going to get Google Play and Google Services Framework, you're waiting for something that will never come, because even BB has said it won't.
    acovey and randall2580 like this.
    03-18-14 12:00 AM
    Yes please! 8mp front camera!? My friends are going to hate all the selfies I'll be sending
    03-18-14 04:32 AM
    Sounds like an amazing device. I think it would be wiser to direct the production costs of this device to bring bigger name apps on board.

People aren't buying BlackBerry's not because of their low specs, they don't care about that. They're not buying because they don't have the big name apps and I'm talking native! (instagram, Snapchat, skype, viber) etc.

Posted via My Beast Q10
    03-18-14 05:22 AM
    Another Blackberry needs to stop doing is making 1080p screens, instead since the technology is available to make the screens their very best; a much higher resolution; Blackberry needs to go that. 1080p is too y2k. This is 2014 not 2000!
    03-18-14 05:33 AM
    BB has already announced (and repeated in an interview about 2 weeks ago) that they have no intention of doing this, because they're fully aware that it wouldn't be possible to meet Google's requirements and keep BB10 (they'd have to use real, full Android), plus, they want users using BB World, not the Play Store. If you're holding out hope that BB is going to get Google Play and Google Services Framework, you're waiting for something that will never come, because even BB has said it won't.
    I work in PR and media...rule one.... when businesses deny don't believe everything you hear. I'm not saying your 100% wrong but I don't believe this is something BlackBerry is dismissing as an option.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    03-18-14 05:42 AM
    Sounds like an amazing device. I think it would be wiser to direct the production costs of this device to bring bigger name apps on board.

People aren't buying BlackBerry's not because of their low specs, they don't care about that. They're not buying because they don't have the big name apps and I'm talking native! (instagram, Snapchat, skype, viber) etc.

Posted via My Beast Q10
    Couldn't agree more.

I dont see why a 'beast' of a phone like this is going to sell well? Is there some market research indicating that BB10 devices arent selling because they are 'under powered'? Or is it because as soon as you say 'Blackberry' people have this visceral repulsive reaction. BB10 devices are tainted by the horrible BB OS devices of the past. I dont see how coming out with a high spec phone is going to solve that.

The only benefit I can see is that this higher spec phone might fix the laginess of some of the Android apps that are currently running on my Z30... but I am still not entirely convinced that it's worthwhile.
    03-18-14 05:59 AM
312 12345 ...